N-Europe

Bonus Round:Nintendo E3 impressions

mcj metroid

Generally positive but they did debate over the issue of price.

According to pachter here Reggie told him the 3ds " costs a lot more to make than the ds1" so He is predicting a price of $300 to some disagreement from the other members.

What are your impressions?

Edited by Retro_Link

Hmm, it's a tough one to call - I hope they don't make the Sony error and go in with a price that is ridiculously high. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is innovative but it's certainly not the most cutting edge piece of equipment in terms of graphical horsepower.

Plus Nintendo has a habit of whoring profit - not a bad thing for a business to do obviously, but the profit margin on the Wii for exameple was incredibly high. Maybe they should go for less and make gains on the insane amount of software they'll likely sell.

Hmm, it's a tough one to call - I hope they don't make the Sony error and go in with a price that is ridiculously high. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is innovative but it's certainly not the most cutting edge piece of equipment in terms of graphical horsepower.

Plus Nintendo has a habit of whoring profit - not a bad thing for a business to do obviously, but the profit margin on the Wii for exameple was incredibly high. Maybe they should go for less and make gains on the insane amount of software they'll likely sell.

Wasn't Nintendo's mantra with the Cube and Wii to keep the price affordable? I think they were £129 and £179 respectively (if I remember right). So, I agree with you, I also hope they don't charge an insane amount for the system. Although I'm hopeful they won't.

300 dollars seems too high. Far too high for my liking. Wasn't the DS around 99 quid or something around there when it launched in Europe? I'd say maybe...around £140. Maybe a bit more or a bit less. That's my guess. For a handheld console, 140 seems ok considering its features?

Wasn't Nintendo's mantra with the Cube and Wii to keep the price affordable? I think they were £129 and £179 respectively (if I remember right). So, I agree with you, I also hope they don't charge an insane amount for the system. Although I'm hopeful they won't.

300 dollars seems too high. Far too high for my liking. Wasn't the DS around 99 quid or something around there when it launched in Europe? I'd say maybe...around £140. Maybe a bit more or a bit less. That's my guess. For a handheld console, 140 seems ok considering its features?

to put it into euros the ds was 150 euros. I'd imagine 200 Euro at the most.

But that's still getting close to the wii's price. You don't wanna make sony's mistake of making their handheld more expensive than the system currently available.

to put it into euros the ds was 150 euros. I'd imagine 200 Euro at the most.

But that's still getting close to the wii's price. You don't wanna make sony's mistake of making their handheld more expensive than the system currently available.

Heh, did the rest of Europe get shafted with that price? It works out almost 30 quid more. Unless I got my initial price wrong of 99 quid.

Saying that, has the Wii's price even changed after all this time? So, it wouldn't seem that shocking if Nintendo charged that much, although I think it'll be a bit cheaper. I reckon 140 sounds like a decent price? I personally wouldn't pay more than that for a handheld.

Heh, did the rest of Europe get shafted with that price? It works out almost 30 quid more. Unless I got my initial price wrong of 99 quid.

Saying that, has the Wii's price even changed after all this time? So, it wouldn't seem that shocking if Nintendo charged that much, although I think it'll be a bit cheaper. I reckon 140 sounds like a decent price? I personally wouldn't pay more than that for a handheld.

the average price of our 360/ps3 and wii games are 60 euro( you CAN get them cheaper if you shop hard enough) and ds games are 45 euros and they VERY rarely drop.

It's worse in mainland europe I hear.

the average price of our 360/ps3 and wii games are 60 euro( you CAN get them cheaper if you shop hard enough) and ds games are 45 euros and they VERY rarely drop.

It's worse in mainland europe I hear.

Gamecube games used to be 60€, and Wii games tend to be 50€ or cheaper.

DS games tend to be 40€, though it varies. And you're right about the price almost never dropping.

As for the 3DS... I give it 200€ at most. 3D without glasses is quite marketable, so even if it costs the same as a Wii, it can sell.

The Original DS was $200 in Canada, and all the redesigns (save maybe the XL) have launched at that price point. I doubt they'd go much higher than that. Maybe $249 at the highest. They probably want to stay around the same price as the entry level iPod Touch.

Have Nintendo ever made a home console launch for more than $250USD?

I'd be on the 200USD mark at the very most.

I'm pretty sure the N64 had an abomination of a price (it with either £300 or £250 when first released in the UK). Saying that, that was back when Nintendo was more like Microsoft/Sony and did that whole "The Most Powerful Games Console on Earth" thing.

It went down very quickly mind you. Remember I got mine for £100 a year after launch or something.

Nintendo can launch the 3DS at whatever price point they want. They've got the DS there for the casual people to buy for all those puzzle/brain training games, and then they'll always have that core gamer demographic who will buy the console regardless of price. Remember, the 3DS will have NO competition for market share among handhelds as it's unique, they could always release it at $250-$300 with a game and 6 months later reduce the price, because it will always sell at that price.

Look at the iPad, it's expensive as hell but is selling remarkably well.

£150-£170 I reckon.

But let's be honest, we're pretty much all buying one whatever the price!

I wouldn't at £170. Don't really care just how good it is, 170 or above for a handheld console is insane. Considering most of us bought our Wiis for 9 quid more than that. :heh:

They'd be shooting themselves in the arse if they sold it at such a high price. The PSP retailed at around that price as well in the UK, I think. Put me right off straight off. I'd be a bit disappointed if they suddenly decided to charge a high price for the system, considering the Wii, Cube and DS were relatively nicely priced.

150, at a push is probably the highest I'd be prepared to pay for it. Unless you had to pay a bit more and got a game or two with it, which would be quite nice. I'd expect GAME and certain places to do something like that.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

The PSP retailed higher when it was first released, also Nintendo shot themselves in the foot when they launched the Wii at £179.99.

It was selling for £300-£500 on ebay over that christmas period and people were still lapping them up.

They could have launched the console at £250 and then droppd its price to £179.99 6 months later.

Also I was thining the DSi was retailing at £150, but just remembered it's £130 isn't it... so yeah I'll say £150 for the 3DS. It's also got a lot more to it than the DSi.

The PSP retailed higher when it was first released, also Nintendo shot themselves in the foot when they launched the Wii at £179.99.

It was selling for £300-£500 on ebay over that christmas period and people were still lapping them up.

They could have launched the console at £250 and then droppd its price to £179.99 6 months later.

Also I was thining the DSi was retailing at £150, but just remembered it's £130 isn't it... so yeah I'll say £150 for the 3DS. It's also got a lot more to it than the DSi.

Did it? I was sure it was around 170? Just checked and it was £179 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4203804.stm (also, the UK did get a bit shafted with that price, haha)

There was a psychological factor to the price point, the fact that it was below 200 quid. Think of why many supermarkets sell things for 99p instead of £1 for example, to make things look small. If they retailed at 250, then who's to say that a lot of these consumers wouldn't have just gone and bought a 360? If you charge 250 for a Wii, then a 360 wouldn't have been much more at the time. So, the lower price was essential, in my opinion. Having a home console that's around 100 quid or so cheaper than your rivals is a big advantage.

Plus, people were lapping them up and paying stupid prices on sites like Ebay because the system was sold out in stores, and it was notoriously hard to buy the system. (also considering that they launched so close to Christmas, which was very smart) People were ohhing and ahhhing over the fact that it was sold out, and it quickly became the "big thing to have" because everyone wanted one, mostly children as Christmas presents. Having one was seen as an achievement, so they were prepared to pay daft prices on ebay. Not everybody did, however. Just a number of people. The majority still probably paid the lower price for it or just simply waited until more became available. You'd have to be very, very desperate to pay £400 for it. Would you have paid 400 for a Wii? I'd have probably bought a 360 at the time or just waited for an uber price drop.

About the DSi:There's another thing, who's also to say that Nintendo won't later on (say, half a year's time) release a reiteration of the 3DS? I was a bit dubious about the DSi before it's launch, particularly with regards to how long it would be before the eventual successor to the DS came. The DSi was like a half-step. I just wonder how long it'll be before we see a 3DS 2.0 or something, which will be annoying if you've already spent 150 quid on a system and then see a new one come out pretty soon after. They're somewhat annoying when they do this, Nintendo are.

Aye, the most annoying thing about Nintendo lately (apart perhaps from the load of crappy casual games that is released for the Wii) is how often they "update" the DS. We've never had a console become outdated so quickly before. Especially since the price of each iteration is exactly the same as the original, and that's quite expensive.