NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil Revelations 3DS

You know I don't really mind how they handled the Umbrella Story now. It's not "perfect" by any sense, but I at least like the ideas behind how Umbrella Chronicles handled Chris and Jill taking down Umbrella's last main stronghold, with Wesker having a hand as well. The gameplay wasn't perfect by any sense and the characters involved were a bit meh as well but it was more than I expected to get after what happened in RE4.

Still I actually do like RE4's story a lot, it was fantastic for what the game was doing and at least didn't involve itself too heavily with the series legacy so people didn't have to worry about it "messing" with anything.

On the other hand 5 more heavily integrated storyline elements from the main plotline and took many drastic choices with them and in the end, still managed to feel absolutely nothing like Resident Evil in any sense whatsoever.

Indeed!

Claire, based on the little we've been allowed to see of her lately (she seems to be a DVD extra nowadays), thankfully, still looks decent.

They haven't fucked her up yet, but don't worry, Capcom will give her like ridiculous clothes to wear and most of her time outside of killing zombies was spent at the plastic surgeon.

Only make over that has been good was Leon...everyone else though...ugh >_>

Though we all know, hehe, he never really died in that volcano.....

Grrr that fucking volcano scene...FUCK YOU CAPCOM!!! fire the man who thought of making that area. You better have something along the lines of how wesker cloned himself and the one you were fighting was his clone or some shit HE CAN'T DIE!!!!

EDIT: Just another thing that pissed me off with RE5 was right at the end, how Chris and that black girl no one cares about shoots Wesker with a rocket launcher, seriously if anyone should have been firing a rocket launcher with Chris, it should have been Jill. At least Jill has a big history behind Wesker who were her and Chris's main enemy.

Edited by killer kirby

As visually good as Mercenaries is, it seems this game even ups that because of the more contained environments.

If that bottom screen suggests what I think and that theres volumetric lighting and potential for lamps swinging around and shit, then this could be even more of an awesome showcase than I thought. I mean I know that's nothing new, especially in horror and maybe it's done in PSP games but I always love shit like that.

HUH. Are those the graphics?
Other than the last two, all the others are artwork/3D character models I think. The one of just Jill is also probably an in game cutscene.

Still, from the last two pictures, it looks amazing!!

Freaky big teeth regenerator type things!!

They both look like twats. They're going to die so many times on my file.

Environments actually look quite visually interesting, though. Like the best of 4 mixed with the best of 0. Good stuff.

The screenshots are almost certainly from the 2D version. Didn't they say that loads of effects would be turned off when you switched to 3D?

The screenshots are almost certainly from the 2D version. Didn't they say that loads of effects would be turned off when you switched to 3D?

There was news about them playing around with effects in 2D and 3D mode. But the "screenshots" are neither from the 2D, nor from the 3D mode.

The 3DS has a 800x240 resolution, where the horizontal resolution is twice the vertical resolution (800x240 with a 5:3 ratio). Those "screenshots" are 600x360. They're definitely NOT from the real machine.

That said, the real graphics might not be as sharp, but they should come close.

Unless of course, Nintendo has changed the specification for the 3DS's top screen. But I'd rather believe that these screenshots are from a different machine (PSPhone, PSP2 ?) that will also receive the game or from some devkit, than that Nintendo made a change this significant to the hardware.

So the real images would look more like this:

1b0c03e2a20e9346c0ed3d6.jpg

e03026e13f139ae4dffc813.jpg

..and might have a lot more jaggies due to less anti-aliasing, like this:

pic_06_gfh.jpg

pic_08_ujn.jpg

Although, as I recall, the 3DS is supposed to have some kind of hardware anti-aliasing. Those MGS3D screenshots were certainly made without any anti-aliasing.

Edited by Burny

There was news about them playing around with effects in 2D and 3D mode. But the "screenshots" are neither from the 2D, nor from the 3D mode.

The 3DS has a 800x240 resolution, where the horizontal resolution is twice the vertical resolution (800x240 with a 5:3 ratio). Those "screenshots" are 600x360. They're definitely NOT from the real machine.

I thought that 800x240 refers to the 3D resolution which is basically double of the 2D mode which is actually 400x240.

I could be wrong though, and even if I'm not it doesn't change the fact that the released shots are completely the wrong resolution.

The screen's natural resolution is 800x240 with an 5:3 aspect ration. In 3D mode the perceived resolution is 400x240, as each eye sees only half the pixel columns due to the slits on top of the pixel matrix. It's just that both halves of the screen will render a slightly different image, so the full resolution is required.

I'm unsure wether these slits (the parallax barrier) are static in the Sharp screens used for the 3DS. If they are, the effective 2D-resolution is 400x240, too, as both halves of the screen must display the same image in order to achieve the 2D picture. If this barrier is not static however, you would actually have the full resolution for the 2D mode. Not that it'd be much use, as there would be two horizontal pixels to one vertical one (so they might duplicate each vertical pixel column anyway, which would again result in 400x240 pixels).

No matter how we look at it, those images above aren't authentic ingame screenshots. ;)

The idea that they're actually running on the PSP2 doesn't seem too farfetched actually. :|

RE:R is using the MT Framework Mobile engine:

MT Framework Mobile on 3DS

Technology writer Zenji Nishikawa posted his latest "3D Game Fan" article today at Impress Watch. The focus of this latest entry in the long-running series is on Capcom's MT Framework, particularly upcoming developments. Nishikawa spoke with Capcom's head of production Jun Takeuchi, head of technical research and development Masaru Ijuuin, and programmer Satoshi Ishida and picked up new information on how the company will be using the development tools for 3DS.

Capcom previously announced that Resident Evil Revelations, its new 3DS Resident Evil game, would make use of the MT Framework. The name of the 3DS version of the framework is officially "MT Framework Mobile," revealed Ishida. While MTFM is based off MT Framework 2.0, the graphics have been specialized for the 3DS.

Revelations is the first game to use MTFM, said Takeuchi. "[Revelations] is a completely new project that we started up after hearing about the 3DS. It's not a project that was progressing on separate hardware and was moved to the 3DS."

Our first glimpse at Revelations came through an E3 trailer. Regarding this, Takeuchi said "The images since the game's E3 unveiling have all been real time rendered on the 3DS development hardware. It seems as though people didn't believe us at first, but we'd like you to know that the 3DS is capable of this level of expressive power."

Although Nintendo has forbade developers from sharing final graphics specs for the 3DS, Capcom was willing to discuss the kinds of technology that the game uses.

The game's graphics rendering pipeline is, when looked at from a far, almost identical to that of Resident Evil 5. The game has such things as HDR Rendering, Self Shadows and Normal Maps. Effects like color correction, depth of field, gamma correction and such have also already been implemented. During 3D use, the game will maintain a 30 frames per second output.

Motion blur is currently in a test state. The staff is determining if motion blur fits in with 3D visual output, so it's possible that this will end up being switched off in the final.

Regarding the game's use of 3D, Nishikawa writes that the game is being made to be played throughout in full 3D. You can, of course, play with the 3D effect off. In general, there will be no difference in the visual quality. However, things like antialiasing will change. During 3D, this will be off, while 2D will use 2x.

The article shared a few pics comparing Revelations with various effects toggled on and off:

without HDR

cap24.jpg

with HDR

cap25.jpg

without colour correction

cap26.jpg

with colour correction

cap27.jpg

Motion Blur, apparently it's not compatible with 3D and is only used in 2D mode.

without Motion Blur

cap34.jpg

with Motion Blur

cap35.jpg

Depth of Field

without

cap32.jpg

with

cap33.jpg

Normal maps

Without

cap30.jpg

With

cap31.jpg

Surface shaders, self shadowing

without

cap28.jpg

with

cap29.jpg

Outside of Revelations, Nishikawa confirms that Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is also using MTFM.

As evidenced by MT Framework Lite and Mobile, Capcom seems to be interested in bringing the framework to multiple platforms. The PSP family could be included in these -- although not the current PSP. Asked about making the framework compatible with PSP, Takeuchi said "At present, there are no plans. However, if the PSP has a next generation version, the hardware specs will presumably rise, so we will probably have to make it compatible."

Capcom is also pushing the high end areas of the framework forward by implementing the latest in visual technology. Included among these technologies is Deferred Lighting, which is currently being implemented.

Edited by Dante

HUNK is in this?!

Seriously capcom need to have a game where it's all about Hunk and perhaps have Ada as the female character as you see them wipe out towns and cities full of crazy villagers and Zombies. Game of the forever if done.

HUNK is in Mercenaries. In this one, I have no idea.
Yeah it's just he's in one of the screens Dante posted, which other than perhaps that one, are all from this game.

Yeah it's just he's in one of the screens Dante posted, which other than perhaps that one, are all from this game.

It could be HUNK and he was shown in the

The idea that they're actually running on the PSP2 doesn't seem too farfetched actually. :|

Tbh., the aspect ration of the images fits for the 3DS, so I'd say it's more likely that they're from some dev-kit. The original PSP has a 16:9 aspect ratio and I'd expect the new one to have the same.

sft_biohazard_revelations_main.jpg

Resident Evil Revelations Impressions

If you want proof of 3DS's technical prowess, just have a look at Resident Evil Revelations. This is one gorgeous game. It's definitely a step above all the other playable 3DS games at Nintendo World.

Referred to as "Resident Evil Revelations Pilot Version," the Nintendo World build put players in control of Jill Valentine on a ghost ship somewhere in the Mediterranean (as indicated by some text that floats just slightly in front of screen -- this is probably an effect we'll be seeing frequently on the 3DS). I'm not sure if there was a goal for the demo, so in my two play sessions, I lead Jill through the ship until I died in the exact same spot both times.

All the action is displayed on the top screen -- a good thing, since Jill's tight body wouldn't be in 3D otherwise. The bottom screen shows the controls. There's also a virtual pad on the bottom screen which you can slide your finger over to move the camera around (although I couldn't make the camera show a front view of Jill).

Controls will for the most part be recognizable to Resident Evil fans. You move Jill with the analogue pad, hold B to run, ready your weapon with R and press Y to fire. When you hold R down, you switch into targeting mode, which is shown from the right shoulder perspective of Jill. You can aim freely with the analogue pad before firing.

Capcom previously mentioned something about being able to move while shooting. This is done with the L trigger. L makes your character move in a strafing fashion, and it works regardless of whether you're equipping your gun or not. If your gun is equipped, you'll be able to continue firing as you move. On the downside, you lose the ability to aim your gunfire.

My first zombie encounter occurred in a bathroom (I'm referring to the creatures as zombies, but they're actually something else). A zombie suddenly broke out of one of the stalls and slowly came at me. With my added mobility, I was able to back away while firing, but I backed right into a wall, so the zombie still manage to get a brief taste of Jill's neck before I offed it.

My second (and last) zombie encounter was a bit more involved. As I advanced through the ship, I started hearing grunts, as if someone was in trouble. I approached a glassed room and could see that a zombie was holding a person up by the neck -- the person making the grunts. I got closer and the zombie tossed the person at the window, spraying blood all over the glass.

When I found my way into the room, two zombies were feeding on the person they'd just killed. Once they took notice of me, I had to face off against both simultaneously, something that proved too much for me in both of my play sessions.

If you've been playing Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 4, the sparse zombie count may seem a bit alarming. This is actually how the RE games were before. Rather than running around and shooting things, the games were about slowly inching your way through corridors, unsure of what will pop out next. The Revelations demo has a similar deliberate slow pace.

The Revelations producers recently said something about wanting to put the "horror" back in the game's genre, and they seem to have done just that with Revelations. In addition to the zombie popping out of the stall, there were other surprises involving rats and some sort of flying creatures. With the atmospheric background audio, which slowly grows more intense as you advance through the stage, Revelations does seem to have the potential for some frights.

Revelations looks remarkably polished for an early 3DS game. The crisp and detailed visuals that do the MT Framework name proud are displayed nicely in 3D. Jill has a very solid presence thanks to the depth of view. The 3D is also easy on the eye. Some of the games at Nintendo World made we want to turn off the 3D effect, but with Revelations I look forward to playing the whole game in 3D.

There's no telling when we'll get to actually play a final version of Revelations, as the game was recently listed in Famitsu as just 20% complete. The Nintendo World demo indicates that the final product, whenever it does arrive, will be worthy of the franchise's name.

RE stage is at six clock in the morning but I wonder if they will show a new trailer or footage.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14834

Check out Capcom's Nintendo World event in its entirety, showing off both 3DS Resident Evil titles...

It was Capcom's turn to take to the state at Nintendo World last night, giving a hefty presentation centred around both Resident Evil Revelations and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D.

The full video is over half an hour long, with quite a bit of Japanese chatter. The conference starts with the same trailer for Revelations that's been floating around for a few months, then some gameplay footage comes in at around the nine-and-a-half minute mark. There's a new trailer for The Mercenaries just after the fourteen minute mark, then a lot of in-game footage from nineteen minutes onwards.

Back to the corridors we go!

Looks absolutely incredible, amazing lighting!... I assume being 20% done, they'll do more work on the 1st person view and the regenerators etc...

Edited by Retro_Link