NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil Revelations 3DS

I still thought it looked fantastic, but I didn't think the 3D made that much difference.

Also, is Jill only playable in this do we think? I'd like that.

They've made Chris a bit of an idiot now, so I'd rather not play as him tbh!

Plus Chris, Leon and Claire have all had their own story driven games now, so guess Jill should get one!

I still thought it looked fantastic, but I didn't think the 3D made that much difference.

Also, is Jill only playable in this do we think? I'd like that.

They've made Chris a bit of an idiot now, so I'd rather not play as him tbh!

Plus Chris, Leon and Claire have all had their own story driven games now, so guess Jill should get one!

Well truth be told, I'm not finding the 3D effect adding much to anything I've seen so far. I was expecting to be wowed by Star Fox but everything still looks paper thin... but just at different levels of depth.

The trailer for this didn't really have much going on to benefit from the effect apart from that... thing, that Jill shoots. And they really have to do something about the gun sound effects - they sound so wimpy and lacking and audiable punch.

Given that first trailer showed 2 Chris's on screen at once (or at least it seemed that way), having you control Chris would probably only take away from the idea of there being two of them since it removes a lot of the mystery. And I doubt they'll have the game A and B thing where you can pick one or the other and go through it twice.... though perhaps an unlockable series of side missions a la Assignment Ada/Seperate Ways featuring Chris wouldn't be out of the question.

That said, that's the kinda thing they like to hold for chargable DLC so maybe they just opt to be stingy and not bother. Though maybe they'll be a bit more charitable because it's not like they could get away with a Mercenaries mode as a bonus.

Hopefully this will be a Jill game.

The two Chris thing could work in some way that you don't know which Chris you're playing as, setting up a sort of paranoia type gameplay, but I don't know if that could be pulled off, or even if it fits in with what they're going for.

An unlockable extra mission would be cool. We've seen Chris and a new female partner in the E3 trailer, but hopefully that's just confined to the cutscenes. Also hope Jill's new partner isn't playable!

I think the enemies in this look pretty stupid, lumbering around like they do and are badly designed.

Also that's one pixelated shadow in the 3D trailer!

Edited by Retro_Link

Did you really like your last post or something? ;)

I'd completely forgotten about Chris and the new girl in the snow at the end of the trailer.

The problem with not knowing what Chris you are playing is how they book end each sequence with cut scenes that push the story. Unless they are always near each other and then you can have a bit of a stalking thing going on with one following the other and vice versa and then if they were clever, as you say, you wouldn't know which was the good one until the end.

It just makes certain things difficult to pull off as normally in a story, you always have the entire view of your main characters and it's the other guys weaving through the story that provide the question marks and twists.

That was my first thought too - it really killed the bit of the trailer too as that was all I could focus on... and then the iffy looking blood pool it disolved into.

As for it's design, I think I read it on Eurogamer when they likened it to a Regenerator and that seems about right... except for stretchy limbs or ability to regenerate.

haha, yeah I was posting from my 3DS and it kept saying communications error, yet still was apparently posting that post each time!

I think that's too good an idea for Capcom to pull off/have thought of anyway! :p

Yeah they seem to be based off Regenerators, but I just hate how they wobble about all over the place, they look really clumsy and I foresee them clipping through the surroundings all the time [like that bookcase/walls] because of that, which will look rubbish!

I think the enemies in this look pretty stupid, lumbering around like they do and are badly designed.

The trailer for this didn't really have much going on to benefit from the effect apart from that... thing, that Jill shoots. And they really have to do something about the gun sound effects - they sound so wimpy and lacking and audiable punch.

After watching the trailer yesterday I totally agree with these points.

The enemies just look like something Capcom slapped together at the last minute and I hate the way they dissolve into the ground when dying.

The sound effects for the gun shots are terrible. It lacks any real power and makes it sound like a potato gun. I haven't played Mecenaries yet but apparently the sound of the guns in that are iffy aswell.

What saddens me is that deep down I know these Resi games on the 3DS will have their shortcomings - weak gun sound effects being one of them - and you just know that a year down the line they will port and improve both titles, then re-release them as one PS Vita title, leaving us feeling slightly short-changed. :hmm:

At least we're getting them first but still, I can't help but think that Capcom doesn't really care about the 3DS that much or is possibly being paid by Sony as an incentive to be more interested in their handheld... I know nothing has been announced as of yet but just wait, it's inevitable. :sad:

Just played the demo, really liked i - great atmosphere, looked brilliant. The controls are going to take some getting used to and I hope you can remap the buttons but otherwise impressed. Also pleased that in this the enemies actually stay on the ground rather then melt into the floor!

Really think come this time next year the software library will be great, just hope developers don't get put off now and we don't see a lull next year!

Comic-Con Info:

Yesterday at Comic Con 2011, Capcom had some word for their upcoming Resident Evil titles, Operation Raccoon City and Revelations. A personal friend of mine, CaptainFalconGuyGCN , was able to attend and reported back some interesting news.

First of all, Capcom talked some about a new element that exists in Resident Evil Revelations, which is environmental hazards. One such thing players will have to face on the Cruise ship is underwater sections (which we touched up on at E3 with a behind-doors preview we witnessed). Originally a scrapped idea for Resident Evil 5, it comes back to play in Revelations. Players have to swim under the water with full 360 degree control, using a light to brighten the darker depths of the sea, as well as special underwater weapons to obtain individually. Air is a concern, though it can be assumed the diver gear that Jill and Parker wear (two of the main characters playable on the ship in Revelations) is there for more than decoration. Possibly you can upgrade your air time? However, down in the deep are also large and deadly sea monsters that roam the depths, and in water one can’t hear you scream… Apparently, the teased underwater BOW is something akin to a Giant Squid.

More than water, talking with a rep there is also a distinct possibility the other two main characters, Chris and Jessica, will have their own environmental ordeals to cope with. Based on what we know about them, as well as some subtle hints, we’re going to assume it has to do with the cold and possibly freezing.

Finally, on Revelations they talked about how the masked man we see at the end of the E3 2011 trailer is going to play a large role in the story. They also said the game (Revelations, that is) will see a return of popular enemies from the franchise, with a special throw out to Zombies (they aren’t out of the game, we’re reassured), though possibly in a new form we haven’t seen them in before.

They also teased that Wesker may also play a pivotal role in Operation Raccoon City or Revelations, or maybe both. They say Umbrella will play a huge role in both titles.

We’ll continue to bring you more news on both titles as they develop.

Bollocks, I was kinda hoping Chris wouldn't be playable, as unlikely as that might have been. He's just had a game (and a bit of a crap one at that), would have been nice to have had a 'solo' story for Jill.

I'll prob give this trailer a miss, but the game looks great though!

Gamescom Hands-On: Resident Evil's Episodic Revelations

Capcom designed Resident Evil Revelations specifically for the 3DS for several reasons -- partly simply because it was there, but also because the company has a good relationship with Nintendo. Developing for Nintendo's handheld allowed them to maintain that relationship while also applying the knowledge they had acquired throughout the development of the numerous console-based Resident Evil titles.

The demo I had the chance to play today focused on Chris, accompanied by partner character Jessica, and the exploration of a snowy mountainscape. This aptly demonstrated the game's episodic structure -- Capcom's trying to give it the feel of a TV show, where individual episodes are standalone storylines complete with cliffhangers, but the entire experience spins a coherent narrative. The various episodes take place in diverse locations around the world, not just the "ghost ship" setting that has been previously discussed.

The level opened with Chris and Jessica exploring the landscape. Lacking the context of the larger story, it was difficult to determine why they were there, but the individual episode's plot quickly kicked off as the flight our heroes had arrived on crashed ahead of them. Reaching the location of the crash, there's a typical Resident Evil "spring-loaded cat" scare scene as a dead body falls out of the cockpit upon investigation. This also introduced Chris' portable scanning device, which which he can examine objects and dead bodies in a hope of finding items or other information. This is one means through which players can acquire the series' ubiquitous Files, which help to explain the background of the narrative.

A little further along, and Chris and Jessica found themselves attacked by what appeared to be mutated wolves. In combat, Chris can either fire his weapon from first person (though is rooted to the spot while he does so) or hit the X button to do a quick melee attack. The wolves were quite difficult to hit from the first person view as they moved very quickly -- Chris' aim, conversely and unfortunately, did not. Fortunately, Jessica is no slouch when it comes to dealing with rabid mutant wolves, and she's quite capable of helping you out in intense combat situations.

Shortly after this sequence, Chris finds himself thrown down a steep hill and hurts his leg. There then follows a sequence where he must defend himself while lying on the floor as Jessica approaches via a more safe route. It's quite tense, but being forced to fight from a static position rather than feeling obliged to at least attempt to dodge makes things a little easier -- and again, Jessica helps from a distance.

The game mechanics clearly draw a lot of influence from Resident Evil 4 and 5 in many ways -- the game is set in the time period between 4 and 5. The Resident Evil team is keen to learn from its past experiences -- and also Capcom's corporate culture of sharing information between teams. The various development teams within Capcom have managed to collaborate and share their knowledge to create a good-looking 3DS game.

We're yet to see a lot of story, the snowy environment in the demo was a bit "samey" and the standard clunky and occasionally infuriating Resident Evil controls were present and correct. But the possibilities offered by the episodic structure and the presence of companion characters throughout much of the game mean that this could prove to be a good narrative-based game for the 3DS that makes few compromises for being on a mobile format.

Bollocks, I was kinda hoping Chris wouldn't be playable, as unlikely as that might have been. He's just had a game (and a bit of a crap one at that), would have been nice to have had a 'solo' story for Jill.

I'll prob give this trailer a miss, but the game looks great though!

Let Jill Jill off....

We want Albert Wesker and Ada Wong!

First pic... BOOBS MUCH!

Still not a fan of the enemies in this game, design/movement etc...

And not convinced by First Person aiming... if there no third person option?

I really wish Capcom - or actually all devs - were more honest with their "screenshots" for the 3DS. The 3DS will never render the game like this.

Scaling the images back gives a much better impression of what the game looks like. If they need Higher Res stuff so magazines can print it larger than a post stamp, they can still do it.

xquwp.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame06l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame05l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame04l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame03l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame02l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame01l.jpgsz0oj.jpgosdiz.jpgmenht.jpgjz18p.jpghliih.jpge1h93.jpgce3ao.jpg0tifh.jpg0qopi.jpg

Edited by Burny

I really wish Capcom - or actually all devs - were more honest with their "screenshots" for the 3DS. The 3DS will never render the game like this.

Scaling the images back gives a much better impression of what the game looks like. If they need Higher Res stuff so magazines can print it larger than a post stamp, they can still do it.

xquwp.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame06l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame05l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame04l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame03l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame02l.jpgtgs2011lebiorevgame01l.jpgsz0oj.jpgosdiz.jpgmenht.jpgjz18p.jpghliih.jpge1h93.jpgce3ao.jpg0tifh.jpg0qopi.jpg

Well it's obvious why the show the game in a better graphical light...

But regardless this game looks fantastic anyway, even with the screenshots you've posted.

There isn't that much difference. :grin:

Awful new TGS trailer.

That new character just looks terrible.

Here's some details about the game and TGS.

- first game in the series to feature Japanese voice acting in Asian territories

- switch from English to Japanese and vice versa at anytime

- Chris will be voiced by Hiroki Tohchi

- Jill will be voiced by Atsuko Yuy

- limited TGS-only mini soundtrack

- TGS Resident Evil Miis, such as Jill and Parker

- bring your 3DS to TGS to get your CD and Miis

"Rachel, a mysterious woman who appears injured, clutching her arm... She wears the same kind of wetsuit as Jill, but are they on the same team? What fate awaits this woman on the ghost ship?"

t-Abyss Virus: "A marine virus derived from the t-Virus, even though Veltro is the only entity that possesses quantities of it, they have the ability to infect one-fifth of the world's oceans with what they possess. Are the enemies Jill and her team have been encountering a result of the t-Abyss Virus?"

"In order for players to understand the scope of this mainline title, the game adopts a chapter-based progression system.

- each chapter ends with cut-scenes

- chapters start with a cut-scene summary of what has happened thus far

Not a fan of this. I don't really care for the chapter route they have chosen with the series. It breaks the game up and doesn't make you feel like your exploring the area in the game but more like your being pushed to the next section.

Not a fan of this. I don't really care for the chapter route they have chosen with the series. It breaks the game up and doesn't make you feel like your exploring the area in the game but more like your being pushed to the next section.

Yeah it's not ideal is it. However Code Veronica had a sort of chapter system where you switched between Chris and Claire and that didn't seem to bother me too much. But yeah this seems a bit to regular and I don't really care for "Previously on X-Men" style bits.

Only thing I can suggest is that maybe the storyline is more complex than usual?