NEurope
Dante

Kinect Discussion

'Register your interest'?

Not really. You order it with the £20 deposit then it turns into a preorder order later once the price and release date have been announced.

Not going to lie, I genuinely like the idea of sitting down and gripping an imaginary steering wheel, shifting into an imaginary 1st gear then putting an imaginary pedal to imaginary metal. 2 things bother me however:

1. Price?

2. If any of the the voice or image recognition features work with any consistency, it'll be a first.

Gamestop pre order price is $149 probably will get it for around £120 here. I'm out. Not that I was ever in.

06-14-10kinectprice.jpg

It's more of a "very safe guesstimate" than anything else.

edit:

img7343.jpg

Jesus....Kinect looks massive.

Edited by Cube

Fucking hell...

Where the fuck is that meant to sit?

On top of my old tube tele?

Crazy shit.

Its almost the size of a Wii. Probably equally powerful too.

The games turned out even more casual than i expected...

Right now the price is anyones guess. So you have outlandishly high prices for attention grabbing headlines.

Many have said that it won't catch on with the core gamers. I for one will have to agree with this. Honest, can we imagine playing games like GoW, Halo, GTA etc like this. It won't work too well if you ask me.

Party/Family games this will work. And it will sell.

So is Joyride still free or do you have to pay for it now (or is it going to be bundled with Kinect)?

Well.. Kinect will not be purchased by me.

the new small 360 however will be, that's a tasty looking console!

and with Gears3, Halo Reach and Fable 3.. it was a respectable e3 for Microsoft i suppose.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-kinect-tech-analysis

640 x480 res camera. Its very very cheap to make at least.

Kinect has a traditional RGB camera in it, as found in a multitude of webcams and mobile phones, and it's capable of a standard 640x480 resolution, operating at 30 frames per second. Alongside this are the depth sensors. These bathe the area in an infra-red wash, colour-coding the scene based on how far away the objects are. This is the key to Kinect's unique capabilities. Not only does it allow games to know where everyone and everything is in 3D space, but it also means that even without the RGB data it can operate just fine in any lighting conditions - even pitch black.

You still need to think ahead and react in advance somewhat to make sure that you hit all those balls, with lag in the 200ms range (including the latency from the display, of course). It's the sort of shift that you're likely to make naturally as you get to grips with the way the system works.

They are wrong about afew things though as practically all the demos at MS's conference were videos where the people demoing them were 'copying the videos'. There was movement in videos before any arm motion.

epk4fa.jpg

340x.gif

These guys and girls aren't really going to give a toss about matters like latency, or the question of whether Kinect will work well with titles aimed at the hardcore. For the sort of crowd that were attracted by the Wii, it's clear that Kinect works, and offers something genuinely new and exciting.

True. New and exciting? Definately not.

Edited by Choze

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up!

Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.

Wait?! What?

You think they'll ship it that way? lol. It'll be fixed before launch.

Kinect games come in same purple cases like gamecube did.

My Gamecube games came in black cases.

My Gamecube games came in black cases.

I have eight purple cases, one gold case and the rest are in black.

miya1.jpg

miya2.jpg

miya3.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Just watched the user interface demo and its pretty neat and all, but don't you think they choose that black gentleman in a dark attire just to disprove last years rumours of Natal not working with black people.

You think they'll ship it that way? lol. It'll be fixed before launch.

They've had a long time to get things like this working. If it's true that it doesn't work sitting down then I'd imagine it's a pretty major issue that they can't sort out.

I'm pretty certain natal will just do what eye toy did. Great initial take up but after that is anyone really going to care? I just don't see anyone being that interested outside of the initial novelty.

Just watched the user interface demo and its pretty neat and all, but don't you think they choose that black gentleman in a dark attire just to disprove last years rumours of Natal not working with black people.

Its a shame ABC are bitches about YouTube because there was a great episode of 'Better Off Ted' that would be so apt right now. They installed lights that only came on when someone was in the room and sensed the light reflected off a person's skin. However it didn't work on black people and they defended it with the "its not racists, we are simply not seeing race, you're the racist" angle (and eventually got white people to follow black people around to turn all the lights on). Funny stuff.

Aaaaaanyway yeah all my cube cases are black. I remember thinking at some point for as much slack as the cube got for being for kids it was the only console (at the time) whose cases didn't come in day-glow colours.

Just been reading about this and watching videos. I think it looks absolutely dreadful. Even worse than I imagined and I imagined it to be shit. It's...just bizarre. I think this will bomb drastically I really do; it seems to do what the wii has been doing for years but much worse.

The navigation and voice activation stuff sounds great but for games it just painful.

The navigation and voice activation stuff sounds great

From what i am seeing the UI looks terrible. You have to keep your hand over an icon for a while before it completes the circle to let you move on. Which is practically the same as the Eyetoy on the PS2.

Not only that but its insanely slow to use. Funny thing is the same stuff in their own promo vids look faster but in actual e3 demonstrations are alot slower. The whole point of new interfaces are to improve, not make things worse.

Edited by Choze