NEurope
James McGeachie

2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube, now basically confirmed

That´s what I heard when DS was announced almost two years ago... :indeed:

Really, looks like you people always forget the fact that Nintendo is still one of the most profitable companies in the world.

The DS does suck though - it's graphics are crap, and almost all its titles are complete crap. It only has two killer apps (MKDS and Nintendogs). PSP also has crap games too (with only 3 killer apps - Ridge Racer, Burnout Legends and GTA).

Both systems are lame-ass. I don't watch movies on my PSP and I don't use the touch pad on my DS.

Nintendo also forgets that all new LCDs and Plasma TVs are HDTVs, and that television/DVD/computers are now going to be HD in the next few years too.

Wrong. Many, many low-end plasma and LCD TV's have 480 pixel vertical resolution, even though they are advertised as HD-ready - that only means that they can receive a 720p signal and downsize it to 480p! And those TV sets, the cheap ones, are the ones most people are buying.

Nintendo already stated that the Revolution will be able to output a 480p signal, so it won't look worse on those TV's than the PS3 or XBox 360, resolution-wise.

You seem to be clearly uninformed about these matters. (This is an eufemism)

More coming... Looks like Matt is going to reveal more about Rev´specs:

Date Posted: 10:47am Subject: Rev Specs

More coming tonight. Stay tuned.

Matt

Whoa i spent 10 hours at school today and come home to find everything has fallen apart!

Good thing you're not on Nintendo.com's forums. It's like a nuclear bomb detonated after IGN created it's Revolution sit.

It's incredible how many people are suddenly saying how rubbish Nintendo are. If you don't like what's happening then don't buy a Revo, simple as. If you have enough trust in Nintendo that they have made a good console that will have good games then buy a Revo.

No need for anyone to be bitching about stuff really.

Nintendo already stated that the Revolution will be able to output a 480p signal, so it won't look worse on those TV's than the PS3 or XBox 360, resolution-wise.

Well, I have a 1080i TV, and let me say once you go HD, you find it hard to go back.

And although Xbox 360 is 720p Native, unlike PS3 which is 1080i, it's still JAW DROPPINGLY GOBSMACKINGLY amazing. Call of Duty 2 - I nearly had a heart attack.

Nintendo must be laughing their arses off right now. In any way, I know I am :D

We realy could use some1 to clear all this up and sort the fact from fiction

Simple.

Everything not stated by Nintendo in an official announcement is bogus. In other words, for most part this forum is erected around speculation :)

None of these posts should be deleted. This topic is great reading. Lots of debating going on and no one flaming anyone (so far). I like all this speculation. It's disappointing for me to see so many people turning against Nintendo purely because of an anonymous source but they can't have been too happy with Ninty anyway.

At the end of the day it's all about the games anyway ;)

To Dilli,

Listen mate I know you are entitled to your opinion but could you leave some room for someone else? I've had to trawl through all of your posts and I think you view came across fine the first time.

Think about 3x as good looking as Zelda Twilight Princess or Resident Evil 4. Does not sound bad at all.

im frustrated by this information (if it holds to be true).

not because i want the revo to have super amazing graphics, but because of the games.

if a third party developer makes a platform unspecific game, it will be made for the xbox360 and the ps3 first and then the revo. there is gonna be a bigger step porting the game to the revo than it will be to either the xbox360 or ps3 because the xbox360 and ps3 are more similar than either with the revo (wrt capability, power, hd etc).

this means that the port will either be crappy or not done at all (depending on how motivated the developer is).

we keep hearing that ppl will own 2 consoles; either a xbox360 or a ps3 and a revo. which is good for revo. but what person who owns (for example) a revo and an xbox360 is gonna buy the same game for both? not many id expect. so (a little, little) less of a chance of the game being made for both.

i know and believe gameplay is more important than graphics but why (as somebody mentioned) cant we have both?

im super lookin forward to playin some cool new types of games on the revo but i want 'normal' games too. i dont want to have to buy and xbox360 and a revo just so i can play the majority of games made.

im hoping (so very much) that the 'other secret' bout the revo is significant - i dont think it has anything to do with holographics or new display techniques, but i do hope its not just something... crap.

nintendo are the best at making games (imo) but they are also the best a disappointing us loyal fans.

im trusting IGN less and less these days (avid reader since the days of ign64.com) so maybe this will all turn out to be a pile of shite.

here's hoping!

people keep saying how are they gonna make the same game on the revo from the 360 or ps3, didnt ninty say they are making some sort of shell for the controller, and it kind of is like the wavebird. so basically they can make the same games for a all 3 consoles, but for the revo it isnt using its full potential in the controller.

Nintendo are making a shell for the controler to play muliplatform games, thus meaning that games that can run on the 360/PS3 must be able to play on the revo.

Makes sense.... i think :P

There were always more powerful systems around when Nintendo was dominating with the NES, SNES, and GB, but it never stopped Nintendo. Think realisticly, so far the Xbox 360 hasn't really shown us anything that isn't 2 - 3x better looking than Xbox. I wouldn't doubt this.

wow am i one of the few here that don´t have one of those see in the future crystal balls? because i´m seeing a lot of predictions about the revo that haven´t happened! /takes stupity hat off

Here's some points for the nay-sayers to consider, not trying to persaude you that this news is a good thing, just trying to show you something you are mis-interpreting.

1. The Revolution is going to have better graphics than the Gamecube; that does not mean that it will have bad graphics, it means that it will have graphics not as good as the Xbox 360 or PS3. The way most of you are talking is that people are going to be watching something comparable to the Atari 2600.

2. Where do you see the benefit of having Xbox 360 vs Revolution vs PS3 in direct competition to each other? I see exactly the same market share for Nintendo as this generation, if not worse, with no practical gain simply because of Nintendo's image in the current market. Nintendo are simply aiming to be the alternative to either the Xbox 360 or the PS3, or to pick up a different market. Put it this way, unless someone is absolutely desparate to play exclusive titles on both of the other two consoles, how many people do you think will have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 in their home? Is it not more likely that people would buy one of them and then buy the cheap, quirky console for the games that simply couldn't even be possible on their main system?

Whoa baby. I should put an end to some speculation before it runs out of control.

Tonight's article will be a continuation of last night's. Satoru Iwata has not personally delivered us the full spec breakdown. Nintendo doesn't want to talk specs and I don't think anything we do will really change that.

That said, devs do have official documentation and it has been directly quoted to me over the phone.

Tonight, we'll talk a bit more about CPU / GPU power. We'll also have a clarification on RAM. (And before you go thinking that we messed up and it has 512MBs, think again -- it's the other way.) And we'll reveal the real DVD capacity. That 12GB stuff was completely bogus.

Devs also speculate on a price point.

Can someone do me a favor and pass this along to the guys at the GA Forum before they toss me into the bonfire.

Thanks.

Matt

Ign Forums http://boards.ign.com/revolution_general_board/b8263/104642567/p3

Nintendo are making a shell for the controler to play muliplatform games, thus meaning that games that can run on the 360/PS3 must be able to play on the revo.

The difference in graphics between the PS3 and Revolution is the same as the difference between the PS2 and N64.

I really doubt game companies will want to have to spend tonnes of cash porting their games down from Xbox 360 to Revolution - it'll cost them a lot just to port down from a PS3, however Microsoft have the advantage that if companies port down to Xbox 360, they also can retail the game on PC easily.

The difference in graphics between the PS3 and Revolution is the same as the difference between the PS2 and N64.

This where you lose all credibility. All we have on the rev's graphics are something that some guy at IGN said. All we have on the PS3's graphics are fake videos. So nice one there, managing to make a statement whilst completely avoiding any truths or facts.

Yeah, because you've totally seen final game graphics for both those consoles, as we all know.

This has been smelling a bit trollish for a while... and now I think we all have confirmation of that.