N-Europe

Killzone 3

Daft

I can feel just as relaxed with pointer type controls. Maybe you've just never had a good experience with pointer controls.

Ive had plenty of good experiences. Ive have spent most of this afternoon/evening playing res 5 with a friend online with move and have had no problems and enjoyed it.

What im saying is with having pointer controls u r automatically more limited to what kind of seating and arm arrangements u can have. And there is times when i just can't be arsed pointing at the screen, or i would want to sit in a way that would not allow me to easily do that. (aka lazyness!)

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had plenty of good experiences. Ive have spent most of this afternoon/evening playing res 5 with a friend online with move and have had no problems and enjoyed it.

What im saying is with having pointer controls u r automatically more limited to what kind of seating and arm arrangements u can have. And there is times when i just can't be arsed pointing at the screen, or i would want to sit in a way that would not allow me to easily do that. (aka lazyness!)

OK I understand.

Move has its advantages. MAG is overly precise with it which makes tracking hard, so anything not a shotgun is tricky. For games like SOCOM however it is Move over controller no question. Socom uses a kind of dampening system which makes it easy to focus on moving targets. No idea how KZ3 will use it but I think 3rd person action games have an advantage with Move over fps as you do not need to turn as fast.

Secondly, you don't need to have played as a sniper to know how irritating they are. You can read their class abilities, you face them in the game online, and I tried them in botmode, where every ability is made available. So please, hush yo' mouth.

This is why some people should never get into betas.

Choze feels like he's morally bound to test betas as if it's his occupation, which is unfortunate. Why play it to an extent where you aren't enjoying it? There's only three maps, do you seriously expect everyone to waste time unlocking everything so they can give some sort of first hand verdict?

It's pathetic.

The boundary box is much less important in 3rd person, and aiming centralises when you aim, making it much easier. In FPS your camera is pretty much always moving/unstable. For example turning corners and aiming can be a nightmare because as you go to aim your iron sights are wavering around.

Makes motion controls a lot trickier, even if they can be more fun. I imagine Socom would be good with Move however.

But the fact remains that in online shooters, you will do better with analogues. It's fine if you have Move vs. Move matches, but otherwise prepare to get steamrofled.

Hmm. I wonder if this is so. Because when PC meets analogues, analogues get owned. And pointer controlls are more like PC controls when it comes to percision. So I guess it'll balance out, since people using DS3 won't be as accurate, but people using move will have worst reflexes.

Pretty much, pointers are always better in singleplayer, but in multiplayer, it's very relative.

Mice are so precise and easy to use it's unfunny. They will destroy pad users. However, I find keyboard and mouse set-up a bit boring and awkward.

Motion control is a different ball game (lul), as you have to factor in that you can't rest your pointer on a flat surface and just drag it and know where the pointer will plonk itself, in the same way that a mouse works. It's much harder to judge.

So you've got both a quivering hand, and the camera is always moving as you adjust aim before aiming down the sights, so the readjustment time can be a bit awkward. No matter how you set a boundary box you'll suffer some sort of set back.

So in my view - for FPS' at least:

Precision

Mouse > Pad > Motion

Fun-o-meter!

Motion > Pad > Mouse

So controllers play a good compromising role for me.

Mice are so precise and easy to use it's unfunny. They will destroy pad users. However, I find keyboard and mouse set-up a bit boring and awkward.

Motion control is a different ball game (lul), as you have to factor in that you can't rest your pointer on a flat surface and just drag it and know where the pointer will plonk itself, in the same way that a mouse works. It's much harder to judge.

So you've got both a quivering hand, and the camera is always moving as you adjust aim before aiming down the sights, so the readjustment time can be a bit awkward. No matter how you set a boundary box you'll suffer some sort of set back.

So in my view - for FPS' at least:

Precision

Mouse > Pad > Motion

Fun-o-meter!

Motion > Pad > Mouse

So controllers play a good compromising role for me.

Pretty much think the same, except I would equate the pad and motion precision. As long as you calibrate it accurately, I think each other's disadvantages nulify each other.

Using a pointer is clearly more precise than an analogue stick in certain circumstances: RE4 Wii Edition is an absolute cakewalk due to the added ease of targeting. Theoretically this is also true of first-person shooters, but the reality is that contemporary shooters are designed around controllers: there's generally little call for placing successive, accurate shots, with games offering numerous subtle aids in regards to target acquisition and retention.

I think an FPS designed around Move would be very interesting. Potentially it could control, on a basic level, more akin to GoldenEye or Perfect Dark on the N64, with a discreet aiming mode that more or less locks the player's viewpoint. More fiddly solutions might even be viable given a bit of acclimatisation, such as tilting the controller left or right to turn rather than relying on a bounding box. In either case I think it could lead to more interesting enemy encounters, the added accuracy allowing developers to step away from simple headshot mentality towards aiming for an enemies legs to trip them up so their vulnerable back is exposed, or even shooting grenades they try to throw at you.

There's a lot of interesting places people could take the FPS, unfortunately most can't seem to look past CoD.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a round on every Killzone 2 map consecutively in Warzone at a friend's house and had an absolute blast, it was just so damn entertaining. The tekkers that got whipped out were stonking, and by playing it you further realise what a step back the 3rd one is. Just thought I'd post this if my opinion wasn't clear. People didn't give enough credit for what the second one did online.

Partly because peeps just can't comprehend how to hip-fire and use the magnum to rape effect. Even so long after release, players don't understand.

Played a round on every Killzone 2 map consecutively in Warzone at a friend's house and had an absolute blast, it was just so damn entertaining. The tekkers that got whipped out were stonking, and by playing it you further realise what a step back the 3rd one is. Just thought I'd post this if my opinion wasn't clear. People didn't give enough credit for what the second one did online.

Partly because peeps just can't comprehend how to hip-fire and use the magnum to rape effect. Even so long after release, players don't understand.

uncle%20same%20douchebag.jpg

I'll be sure to get some popcorn in for the 3rd when the public Beta is released and your opinion makes a massive u-turn.

Well if you could buy the popcorn for me, be my guest, because I'd love to experience that u-turn.

It's just looking unlikely right now.

Are we getting sweet or salted? I prefer both, with salt on the bottom, or layered if the attendant is kind enough to offer.

I'm sure I can accommodate your needs be they sweet or salty. If we push the boat out we could have minstrels as well but that depends on Galaxy's moral affliction for steep pricing.

I'm good with anything Rez doesn't understand.

Edit: Speak of the Devil.

Ok we'll pull a film out of the hat then :)

• 2 weeks later...

Played the Beta earlier.

I'm using the Move controller and it feels really weird and awkward at first, but feels really good when you get used to it.

Here are some tips on calibration and settings:

When you are calibrating the motion controller, don't extend your arm out to the PS EYE, just hold it in a natural position and use slight wrist movements to point to the edges.

- After doing it that way, the controls felt a lot better.

For settings I use:

DZ Width: 0

DZ Height: 30

Crosshair speed: 70

Turn Speed: 50

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!