NEurope
Rummy

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

Ok, so this just came to my attention through a facebook page, then I found out about the south park episodes and the origin of this supposed day, due for this thursday. There's a wiki article on it, and a good read(with the original picture that sparked it);

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody_Draw_Mohammed_Day

Now this obviously isn't the first time muhammed based controversies have popped up, and I'm hoping this thread will be a good one and not degenerate, tho I've got alot of good faith in our members to keep it at a reasonable level of debate.

I'm intrigued by a number of issues surrounding this kind of controversy, and interested in other people's views. The facebook page for it is quite interesting too, as it's being completely uncensored in line with the original point of the 'protest'(i put it like that, because some will deny it's a protest). The facebook page has some VERY extreme views on it, but amusingly it's extremist on all sides, then it has some people who are being rational and sensible, trying to argue their points, again on both sides.

The biggest issue for me however, is the obvious and main one, why CAN'T we draw pictures of mohammed? Why are we not allowed equality in our offending of others? I'd make this longer, but I'll leave it here til I get some more opinions, plus I want some breakfast.

Anyway, discuss!

Interesting protest.

Personally, I despise censorship and never more so than when coming from holier than thou, ignorant and repugnant moralists.

All power to it.

But if no one has ever been allowed to draw him, how the fuck are we supposed to know what he looks like?

I'm indifferent to the whole thing. On the one hand, people forcing their beliefs on people boils my piss, but then so does going out of your way to intentionally offend people. Dark jokes on shows and things are fine, but this is just spiteful and not even that funny.

Interesting protest.

Personally, I despise censorship and never more so than when coming from holier than thou, ignorant and repugnant moralists.

All power to it.

This. I couldn't have put it better myself. Although, without disrespecting anyone, there are no Gods in the first place (it's what I believe anyway).

Some members of my University's Islamic Society somehow got it into their heads that this was organised by the Atheist, Humanist and Skeptic society, and, as such, by me, as Chairman. The emails varied between veiled threats and out-right death threats. The more diplomatic ones got a simple "nothing to do with me" reply, the others got forwarded to the IT admin. Apparently they've been banned from the University internet and email system, and suspended from their courses until investigations have been completed, which means they won't be able to do exams, which means doing whatever year they're in now again.

Epic, epic fail.

lol.

Anyway I will probably be drawing on Thursday (I should do it every day anyway) so one of the drawings may be Mohammed. I dunno really, never seen the guy :p

Some members of my University's Islamic Society somehow got it into their heads that this was organised by the Atheist, Humanist and Skeptic society, and, as such, by me, as Chairman. The emails varied between veiled threats and out-right death threats. The more diplomatic ones got a simple "nothing to do with me" reply, the others got forwarded to the IT admin. Apparently they've been banned from the University internet and email system, and suspended from their courses until investigations have been completed, which means they won't be able to do exams, which means doing whatever year they're in now again.

Epic, epic fail.

Was it worth it, ruining their careers!? *shakes fist/holds crying child*

(I assume yes :bouncy:)

I'll draw him, but its possible he'll be wearing a bear costume

How do you know he didn't?

But if no one has ever been allowed to draw him, how the fuck are we supposed to know what he looks like?

I'm indifferent to the whole thing. On the one hand, people forcing their beliefs on people boils my piss, but then so does going out of your way to intentionally offend people. Dark jokes on shows and things are fine, but this is just spiteful and not even that funny.

Said who? And you know what, I'm ashamed to say it, but I only actually like 20 minutes ago decided what I'm going to draw if I do draw one. It's going to be Mohammed...being AWESOME. The way to win this is by drawing him without ridiculing him!

I am annoyed of the fear, apparently in the SP ep there's buddha doing lines of coke, uncensored. Not mohammed though, ohh no! Why? Because people are scared. Even the woman who(whether intentionally or not, with or without scope of how big it'd grow) started this had distanced herself from it and completely tried to deny it, and then stated that "I said that I wanted to counter fear and then I got afraid." Why! WHY should anybody have to be scared of something so ridiculous, something exists in so many other forms towards other things, yet is much more tolerated and allowable then?

I realised in all seriousness though, I probably won't draw Mohammed. I can't fucking draw for shit(as anyone of the FT ilk may now know), but I might attempt it. I imagine my poor skillz would be more offensive than any content I could include.

How do you know he didn't?

Well if I draw him in it then im gonna assume that was his casual wear, or possibly that he had a weekend job that it was used in

Said who? And you know what, I'm ashamed to say it, but I only actually like 20 minutes ago decided what I'm going to draw if I do draw one. It's going to be Mohammed...being AWESOME. The way to win this is by drawing him without ridiculing him!

I am annoyed of the fear, apparently in the SP ep there's buddha doing lines of coke, uncensored. Not mohammed though, ohh no! Why? Because people are scared. Even the woman who(whether intentionally or not, with or without scope of how big it'd grow) started this had distanced herself from it and completely tried to deny it, and then stated that "I said that I wanted to counter fear and then I got afraid." Why! WHY should anybody have to be scared of something so ridiculous, something exists in so many other forms towards other things, yet is much more tolerated and allowable then?

Well to be fair there have been (alleged) attacks on those who have. The bomb near Viacom last week (although not been keeping up too much, any progress with/if that) and the documentary filmmaker who was killed. Its not like people are just saying "I hate those people drawing Mohammed", there's some pretty crazy retribution going on by an unfortunately violent minority.

Obviously its not a good thing, but it understandably instills some fear.

Well if I draw him in it then im gonna assume that was his casual wear, or possibly that he had a weekend job that it was used in

Are you accusing Mohammed of being a furry?

I was leaning more towards him working in a shopping centre advertising something but its always nice to see where your mind jumps to :p

Well to be fair there have been (alleged) attacks on those who have. The bomb near Viacom last week (although not been keeping up too much, any progress with/if that) and the documentary filmmaker who was killed. Its not like people are just saying "I hate those people drawing Mohammed", there's some pretty crazy retribution going on by an unfortunately violent minority.

Obviously its not a good thing, but it understandably instills some fear.

I know about the attacks, but what, does that mean we should bow down and live in fear of it? The lady who drew the original cartoon(which she claims was just a joke poster and not meant to be taken seriously in the slightest) did at one point say the point was to get lots of people drawing pictures so as to essentially thin out the targets, iirc. Yes, I understand there is a reason to fear, but what message is this? Some people do extreme things so let's all not do anything to piss them off for fear of retribution, if it starts here, and we evolve along that line, where the hell do we end up?!

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to participate in this protest, as I'm away on a school trip, but I will say I support those who draw Muhammad 100%.

These enemies of free speech must realize that they cannot simply control us with violence. When we give in, they win, it's as simple as that.

A recent example would be that presenter at that sweedish(?) unversity, who was assaulted by an organized mob of muslims during his talk on freedom of speech, the full video of it illustrates exactly why we have to start standing up to these groups. They are doing nothing but trying to take away our rights and trying to make our countries like the shitholes (pardon my language) that they come from. If they don't like our freedom, they should go back to where they came from. Please note, I'm not refering to all Muslims, just the ones who are enemies to our freedom.

alFayedPA0510_468x355.jpg

Come on guys, he only sold Harrod's a week ago or so, leave the guy alone.

I am annoyed of the fear, apparently in the SP ep there's buddha doing lines of coke, uncensored. Not mohammed though, ohh no! Why? Because people are scared.

Yeah I saw the ep, Kyle & friends go to meet Jesus and the Superfriends to try get Mohammed to go to South Park with them (BAckground: Tom Cruise was suing the town cause the Kids called him a Fudge Packer... because he was in a chocolatye factory actually packing fudge into boxes.. but kept denying he was a "fudge packer"..but had said he'd drop the lawsuit if he can meet Mohammed... there's tons more reason as to why he wants to meet him but I'll let you watch the ep for it's full epicness)

Anyway, Jesus said they can't let Mohammed go with them because he's not allowed to be seen in public because it would cause offense to muslims... Jesus then says "You just can't go around insulting peoples religion" (or something like that) quickly followed by a shot of Budda snorting coke and then of Moses as the Master Control Program from Tron which they did in a previous ep years ago.

Being from Denmark, I've experienced a lot of this first hand. While I don't like people offending other people for the sake of it, this does serve a purpose.

The funny thing is, most Muslims in Denmark weren't really bothered by it. Many Muslims simply cannot get worked up about it because they understand this sort of humour. So the ones who are offended are the ones who threaten and attack people, and those I have no respect for. So yeah, I'm for this protest.

Hans Vilks never meant to offend anyone. He made an art display showing parodies of all religions. When the muslims themselves didn't want to make a Mohammed parody, someone else did.

This isn't something to offend people either. This is to show that we have freedom of speech, and that we won't turn our back on that. If they're pissed off about it, they can draw pictures of Jesus or something.

What pissed mw off was when Islamic countries demanded an appology from the Swedish government.

I'm going to turn in my final thesis at noon tomorrow, so I won't take part in the Mohammed drawing frenzy, but my friends were planning on having a Mohammed drawing party today.

What does everyone think of this: Pakistan blocks access to Youtube.?

Pakistan has blocked the popular video sharing website YouTube because of its "growing sacrilegious content".

Access to the social network Facebook has also been barred as part of a crackdown on websites seen to be hosting un-Islamic content.

Anything that blocks them from watching Comedy Rainbow can only be a good thing :p