NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

I've heard reports of O2 doing handsets for existing customers at cost. Not sure if they'll do it on the iPhone, but they're currently doing the HTC Desire for £275. If not it'll be the £450+ that they'll be charging for the PAYG handset.

Edited by McPhee

Thing is, you can make loads of money selling iphones to people who can't get contracts or dont want a contract

The way I'm going to do it is to sell my 3GS on eBay (I will get o2 to unlock so I get more) I'll get around £400-£450. Pay off the remaining 6 month of my contract then take out a 24month one with the new phone as I don't think I'll upgrade next year. (As long as it comes in 64GB)

Just ring them up I think, i thought they only did it for out of contract phones though?

At any time:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

I might do a similar thing, except I think I'll just stay on my current contract til it expires then move on to simplicity. Getting locked in another 24mo contract doesn't sound like a great idea to me, and iPhone contracts really overcharge you for what you get anyway.

Mind you'll I'll only be getting an iPhone 4 as long as it's at least nearly as good as that new HTC Evo (minus the 4G capabilities). If it doesn't at least have a fairly high MP camera with a flash and a much better screen it might be time to jump ship.

Edited by Shorty

I hate 24 month contracts!! My phones rarely last over 18 months.

My phone has been perfectly fine for 21 months so far, so I've got no problem with having a 2 year contract. I'm happy to keep my phone that long, and it'll mean I can upgrade when the new iPhone comes out in 2 years. I don't want to upgrade every year.

Ok so I'm also probably going to sell my iPhone 3G and look at a contract instead of PAYG.

I'm going to sell it now and think about a new phone later... I've got an old one I can stick my SIM into.

I doubt I'll get an iPhone because the cheapest contracts make you pay a crazy amount for the actual phone and blagh.

Probably look at the HTC Desire...

Fair enough. I'm just a bit wary if it breaks.

There is that, but I think the iPhone has been really good quality so I haven't really worried. I mean I haven't used a case or screen protector at all and I don't have a single scratch on the screen. I've been really impressed.

At any time:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

I might do a similar thing, except I think I'll just stay on my current contract til it expires then move on to simplicity. Getting locked in another 24mo contract doesn't sound like a great idea to me, and iPhone contracts really overcharge you for what you get anyway.

Mind you'll I'll only be getting an iPhone 4 as long as it's at least nearly as good as that new HTC Evo (minus the 4G capabilities). If it doesn't at least have a fairly high MP camera with a flash and a much better screen it might be time to jump ship.

Its confirmed to have twice the resolution of the current iPhone which is insane. I'm sure I read somewhere it has the highest pixel density of any screen ever made.

There is that, but I think the iPhone has been really good quality so I haven't really worried. I mean I haven't used a case or screen protector at all and I don't have a single scratch on the screen. I've been really impressed.

Yeah, true, my iPod Touch looks pretty much brand new and I've had it well over a year. The metal on the back is scuffed (although I have no idea how since it is protected by a rubber case) and there is the tiniest scratch on the screen but it's not even close to noticeable.

My only noticeable problem is that the accelerometer, or whatever, is stuck at a slight tilt.

I'll probably get a screen protector just to change the feel of the touch screen.

Why don't you just buy Apple Care cheap off eBay sometime in the first year of owning it?

Because it shouldn't be so prone to getting fucked up? :p

(and they should allow you to extend it. Bastards!)

Did you try your home insurance for your laptop Ash? I got my iPad put on mine and it cost me nothing, the excess is only £50 too.

Why don't you just buy Apple Care cheap off eBay sometime in the first year of owning it?

Ah, for some reason I didn't think Apple Care covered iPhones. What are the details for Apple Care? How much would it be roughly on ebay?

Did you try your home insurance for your laptop Ash? I got my iPad put on mine and it cost me nothing, the excess is only £50 too.

I'll ask my mother what hers is, although to be fair I'm out of here in three months.

Ah, for some reason I didn't think Apple Care covered iPhones. What are the details for Apple Care? How much would it be roughly on ebay?

Do they do special deals for students? I know when you buy a laptop (as a student) you get a three year warranty thrown in so maybe they do. Pop into the store?

Google says they don't do student discounts on iPhones.

All hail Google.

Ah, but I'm upgrading on VodaAwesome so I'm not sure how that would work.

...and I like saying 'All hail Google'.