Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Apple-Based Excitement

Nintendohnut

Unfortunately the iPhone is still crippled when you compare it to other smartphones. I've got an iPhone and even after this update it will still be behind what other phones can do. I've jailbroken mine and it can do most of the things that the Blackberry can now but it still runs pretty slowly (admittedly I'm using the 3G which is coming up 2 years old) when compared to a Blackberry. A friend and I did a turn off and on test and his Blackberry managed to turn off and on 3 times before my iPhone could do it once.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a fantastic device but I really feel that Apple are just making it too simple in what they allow you to do with it.

How is it limited though? I can't really think of much I would want from it, except maybe we could get calendar and weather and stuff on the lock screen.

On a related note, are gaming mice worth the price, or would I be better off using my old 3 button mouse.

Gaming mice aren't really anything special. If your mouse works and is comfortable there's not much point splashing out.

Gaming mice aren't really anything special. If your mouse works and is comfortable there's not much point splashing out.

Gaming mice are hilarious. They look intimidating to the point where cats are afraid enough of them to never try walking over the keyboard and feature like ten thousand buttons and some of them dispense ice. They also almost always glow, because glowing is robototally cool.

Apple mice aren't great either. Squeezing and scrolling with HAND MOTIONS instead of clicks and a scroll wheel? That's kinda cool, ignoring the fact Apple mice are overpriced and sluggish as hell unless you apply a bunch of tweaks to get them up to speed.

I still want a Magic Mouse though. Makes no sense. Apple have me by the balls and they are never letting go.

I picked up a white 13" Macbook last week, so I'm glad to see that hasn't been updated :heh:

I've not really seen anything on the new Macbook Pro 13" but the old version was a complete waste of money in my view, not only is my one faster than that was but you're essentially paying £200 odd for Firewire and an SD slot.

Yeah saw those on engadget today. Apparently its pretty much confirmed that those are the actual model. Though I read on a blog how it reckons that the internals are the actual "4g" and that the external might be minus the sides. Since they found a patent for radio frequency friendly glass by apple a while back.

To be honest I was looking forward to it not using OS4 since it would just feel dated, because my 3g could run it and now I got these really expensive upgrade and it works in almost all the same ways.. not a great selling point..

The best device iPhone OS4 will be available on and it's not a selling point? I really don't know what people expect Apple to do sometimes.

Looks nice, good to have a front facing camera, I'll certainly be buying one once they come out - my current iPhone is almost dead.

The best device iPhone OS4 will be available on and it's not a selling point? I really don't know what people expect Apple to do sometimes.

Looks nice' date=' good to have a front facing camera, I'll certainly be buying one once they come out - my current iPhone is almost dead.[/quote']

That's because to me OS4 isnt an upgrade, it's to me a catchup patch. So OS4 isnt a selling point, if I buy it, it would be because of the hardware.

The iPhone OS4 has me interest in one again (I owned a 3G for about 14 months) but I'm kinda wondering what's the point. I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 at the moment, which I love, and still have 18 months on my contract left to run. So i'd have to pay a shitload for an early upgrade and I don't see what it does that much better. Yes it has apps but the only ones I use are Facebook and Twitter and RIM have made excellent official apps for them for Blackberry. I'll still keep an eye on it though :heh:

I was reading an explanation earlier as to why the 13" MBP is still using a Core2 Duo. It's down to disagreements between Intel and NVidia. They had an agreement allowing NVidia to produce chipsets for Intel processors. Intel say the agreement ended with the Core2 architecture, NVidia say it didn't. Anyway, long story short, NVidia can't produce chipsets for Corei processors. The MBP 13" design doesn't have room for a dedicated card. Apple had three choices; go Corei and use Intel's integrated graphics, stay with Core2 Duo and use NVidia's new GT320m graphics or redesign the whole MBP 13" model to accommodate a dedicated graphics card. They chose the second option. A 13" MBP with a Corei processor might turn up in a future refresh, but it won't be until they redesign the whole unit.

Yeah I read that too, something about there not being enough room on the motherboard for the same graphics chips as the 15" and 17" versions so they were limited what they could do. Although I did also read that they had worked with NVidia to custom-produce the GT320M specifically for the 13" Pro, and that they weren't trying to limit the power of the Pro to swindle the consumer, they were simply forced to make a decision, but they have made the whole thing the best they can at the moment by the sounds of it. I suppose at the moment there's only so much you can fit into a 14"(ish) casing and until the tech gets smaller or the casing gets redesigned Apple are stuck.

It's not a tech problem - it's lazyness. Sony have a 13" machine that's smaller and lighter than the 13" MBP and higher spec'd than the top configuration 17" MBP. OK, it's Sony. From an engineering front they're always months - if not years - ahead of everyone else. However, all the other major players are following suit starting with Acer who should have a 13" machine packing an i7 and an ATi 5650m out in the next month.

The reason for not redoing the case to accommodate the same spec as the other machines is purely financial, unless I'm overestimating the capability of Apple's engineers.

I guess that's fair enough. Though I'm still sure the chassis thing will have been quite a large factor in the decision.

A tad disappointed that I'll have to either wait for Acer/Asus to get their machines out, go for the Alienware M11x or shell out for the Vaio Z (which is a rip-off over here, I could fly to the states and buy one for the UK price :p). The 13" MBP would have been ideal priced between £1000 and £1200 if it had the specs of the 15" model.

Edited by McPhee