N-Europe

Your greatest gaming achievement?

Pancake

F-Zero GX Story Mode - Very Hard

As others have said, one of the most ultimately satisfying experiences known to nerd.

I've been through F-Zero GX a few times but on my very first save file, I had completed Chapter 7 on Very Hard. Since you can't copy the save data, I was mortified when my file corrupted.. though it did give me the incentive (not that I really needed it :indeed:) to play through it again.. which I did :heh: I didn't really bother with the harder modes in Story that time, though :hmm:

A couple of years ago I got a new 64MB Memory Card for the Gamecube to basically story the data for all my games and use my old memory cards for back up. Again, due to the F-Zero GX data being restricted to a single memory card, I decided to run through it all again.. but this time go for everything!

I have been through everything on the latest save file.. apart from Chapter 7 on Very Hard :sad: It frustrates me that I couldn't seem to manage it now, but I know that I have done it before so I guess I have done it all :heh: I just wish it was all on the one file..

Starting a game of Might and Magic IV

I had a bootleg copy. The lockout system was to ask the player what the xth word on line y on page z of the instruction manual was (which I didn't have).

First I wrote down a list of words I thought might appear in the manual, then for each attempt, I crossed off that word for the x,y,z values that were asked of me.

Eventually I got the right word. It took a *long* time.

That must have taken weeks...

What was the word?

If you got all the blue coins without a guide, I'd say that is a pretty decent accomplishment.

Afraid not, but thanks anyway. Mario games are so "physically" difficult, I don't mind using a guide.

Very nice! This probably took a *really* long time.

Thanks! Well, not really a long time. It was my 2nd playthrough, so I'd carefully put all the skill seeds into the right skills and made all the best equipment via the alchemy.

Just checking my old posts actually - I beat the first post-game boss at level 50 and the last one at level 61 (you get Dragon Soul at 65), so yeah, it did take a long time!

Completing Legend of Zelda (NES)

OK, so this is nothing new, but I started playing the game when it first came out and I finished it for the first time ever early this year! Woot!

Awesome, well done.

F-Zero GX Story Mode - Very Hard

As others have said, one of the most ultimately satisfying experiences known to nerd.

An astonishing feat!

Starting a game of Might and Magic IV

LOL.

My other one is just completing Metroid Prime 2 on the GameCube. It's probably the hardest 3D game I've played.

Oh yeah, also getting 120 Stars in Super Mario Galaxy (thought it was just as hard as the others), although that's not 100% completing it. Grr!

I have been through everything on the latest save file.. apart from Chapter 7 on Very Hard :sad: It frustrates me that I couldn't seem to manage it now, but I know that I have done it before so I guess I have done it all :heh: I just wish it was all on the one file..

When I completed it, I remember thinking 'I'm glad I never have to do that again'. Thankfully, every failed attempt is usually down to one's lack of skill rather than an unlucky run - although Chapter 7's crowding of cars can cause some unpredictable outcomes!

Out of interest, has anyone completed it without killing Black Shadow at the start?

Just checking my old posts actually - I beat the first post-game boss at level 50 and the last one at level 61 (you get Dragon Soul at 65), so yeah, it did take a long time!

Maybe we should call you Grinda! Any in-game task requiring in excess of 100 hours of gameplay is definitely an achievement!

That must have taken weeks...

What was the word?

It did indeed take weeks. I can't remember which word I guessed correctly. I think the overwhelming sensation of finally being able to play the game blocked it out.

The required word was from a set of repeated x,y,z values, rather than being any word from anywhere in the manual. The sorts of words I guessed were 'sword', 'shield', 'dragon', 'fight' etc...

At the moment i'm trying for all the gold skulltulas in Ocarina of Time, but i'm at 61 of 100, and have no idea where the rest are. I might just give up, because a walkthrough spoils the satisfaction anyway...

which you have to go back into old levels for, eg back to the Deku Tree once you have bombs/scarecrow song

But you might have known that already :)

which you have to go back into old levels for, eg back to the Deku Tree once you have bombs/scarecrow song

But you might have known that already :)

I got those ok, i was very thorough. The ones that got me were the ones that involved putting those bugs in the ground, cos i couldn't remember how to do it, and the game gives you no help. Ended up succuming to a walkthrough, which zapped all my motivation away. Also sneaked a peak at the reward you get for 100 - saw that it was a RUPPEE and subsequently thought "sod that". And there ends the tale of my skulltula obsession.

I got those ok, i was very thorough. The ones that got me were the ones that involved putting those bugs in the ground, cos i couldn't remember how to do it, and the game gives you no help. Ended up succuming to a walkthrough, which zapped all my motivation away. Also sneaked a peak at the reward you get for 100 - saw that it was a RUPPEE and subsequently thought "sod that". And there ends the tale of my skulltula obsession.

Nintendo always did have the best rewards for people that put extra effort into their games.

For me it would be:

Completing Mario 64 is around 17-18 minutes.

Completing Steets of Rage II on the hardest difficulty, starting with 3 lives.

Oh. Completing Professional mode on Resident Evil 4 with just the standard hang gun (and not upgrading). That was some tense shit. Died 68 times over the course of the game!

Completing Steets of Rage II on the hardest difficulty, starting with 3 lives.

Do you mean Mania..? If so, you are a legend to me : peace:

Completing Professional mode on Resident Evil 4 with just the standard hang gun (and not upgrading). That was some tense shit. Died 68 times over the course of the game!

..and only one death away from total delight :heh:

Edited by nekunando