Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Google: "Sorry Word, but it's all foreign to me"

Ashley

For some time now (i.e. as long as my goldfish memory can remember) whenever I copy and past something from Word to something google based (email, docs etc) it becomes Japanese/Chinese-ey.

For instance. This sentence:

I am interested in doing this course for a variety of reasons.

Becomes this:

敖獲潩㩮⸱ര匊慴瑲呈䱍〺〰〰〰〱വ䔊摮呈䱍〺〰〰㈰㔷വ匊慴瑲牆条敭瑮〺〰〰㈰〵ള䔊摮牆条敭瑮〺〰〰㈰ㄷഹഊ格浴浸湬㩳㵯產湲猺档浥獡洭捩潲潳瑦挭浯漺晦捩㩥景楦散ഢ浸湬㩳㵷產湲猺档浥獡洭捩潲潳瑦挭浯漺晦捩㩥潷摲ഢ浸湬㵳栢瑴㩰⼯睷⹷㍷漮杲启⽒䕒ⵃ瑨汭〴㸢഍格慥㹤㰍敭慴渠浡㵥楔汴⁥潣瑮湥㵴∢ാ洼瑥⁡慮敭䬽祥潷摲⁳潣瑮湥㵴∢ാ洼瑥⁡瑨灴攭畱癩䌽湯整瑮吭灹⁥潣瑮湥㵴琢硥⽴瑨汭※档牡敳㵴瑵ⵦ∸ാ洼瑥⁡慮敭倽潲䥧⁤潣瑮湥㵴潗摲䐮捯浵湥㹴㰍敭慴渠浡㵥敇敮慲潴⁲潣瑮湥㵴䴢捩潲潳瑦圠牯⁤ㄱ㸢㰍敭慴渠浡㵥牏杩湩瑡牯挠湯整瑮∽楍牣獯景⁴潗摲ㄠ∱ാ氼湩敲㵬楆敬䰭獩൴牨晥∽楦敬⼺氯捯污潨瑳唯敳獲䄯桳敬⽹楌牢牡⽹慃档獥启浥潰慲祲瑉浥⽳獭捯楬ㅰ〯⼱汣灩晟汩汥獩⹴浸≬ാℼⴭ楛⁦瑧⁥獭崹㰾浸㹬*漼䐺捯浵湥側潲数瑲敩㹳*㰠㩯敔灭慬整举牯慭㱬漯吺浥汰瑡㹥*㰠㩯敒楶楳湯〾⼼㩯敒楶楳湯ാ†漼吺瑯污楔敭〾⼼㩯潔慴呬浩㹥*㰠㩯慐敧㹳㰱漯债条獥ാ†漼场牯獤㤾⼼㩯潗摲㹳*㰠㩯桃牡捡整獲㔾㰳漯䌺慨慲瑣牥㹳*㰠㩯楌敮㹳㰱漯䰺湩獥ാ†漼债牡条慲桰㹳㰱漯债牡条慲桰㹳*㰠㩯桃牡捡整獲楗桴灓捡獥㘾㰵漯䌺慨慲瑣牥坳瑩卨慰散㹳*㰠㩯敖獲潩㹮ㄱ㜮㌷⼼㩯敖獲潩㹮*⼼㩯潄畣敭瑮牐灯牥楴獥ാ㰠㩯晏楦散潄畣敭瑮敓瑴湩獧ാ†漼䄺汬睯乐⽇ാ㰠漯伺晦捩䑥捯浵湥却瑥楴杮㹳㰍砯汭㰾嬡湥楤嵦ⴭ㰾ⴡ嬭晩朠整洠潳㤠㹝砼汭ാ㰠㩷潗摲潄畣敭瑮ാ†眼娺潯㹭㰰眯娺潯㹭*㰠㩷潄潎却潨剷癥獩潩獮㸯*㰠㩷潄潎側楲瑮敒楶楳湯⽳ാ†眼䐺獩汰祡潈楲潺瑮污牄睡湩䝧楲䕤敶祲〾⼼㩷楄灳慬䡹牯穩湯慴䑬慲楷杮片摩癅牥㹹*㰠㩷楄灳慬噹牥楴慣䑬慲楷杮片摩癅牥㹹㰰眯䐺獩汰祡敖瑲捩污牄睡湩䝧楲䕤敶祲ാ†眼唺敳慍杲湩䙳牯牄睡湩䝧楲佤楲楧⽮ാ㰠眯场牯䑤捯浵湥㹴㰍砯汭㰾嬡湥楤嵦ⴭാ猼祴敬ാℼⴭ*⨯䘠湯⁴敄楦楮楴湯⁳⼪䀍潦瑮昭捡൥笉潦瑮昭浡汩㩹吢浩獥丠睥删浯湡㬢ऍ慰潮敳ㄭ〺㈠㈠㘠㌠㔠㐠㔠㈠㌠഻洉潳昭湯⵴档牡敳㩴㬰ऍ獭ⵯ敧敮楲ⵣ潦瑮昭浡汩㩹畡潴഻洉潳昭湯⵴楰捴㩨慶楲扡敬഻洉潳昭湯⵴楳湧瑡牵㩥〵㌳㘱㠴〠〠〠ㄠ〠紻䀍潦瑮昭捡൥笉潦瑮昭浡汩㩹牁慩㭬ऍ慰潮敳ㄭ〺㈠ㄠ‱‶‴′′′′㬲ऍ獭ⵯ潦瑮挭慨獲瑥〺഻洉潳札湥牥捩昭湯⵴慦業祬愺瑵㭯ऍ獭ⵯ潦瑮瀭瑩档瘺牡慩汢㭥ऍ獭ⵯ潦瑮猭杩慮畴敲㔺㌰ㄳ㐶‸‰‰‰‱㬰ൽ⼠‪瑓汹⁥敄楦楮楴湯⁳⼪瀍䴮潳潎浲污‬楬䴮潳潎浲污‬楤⹶獍乯牯慭൬笉獭ⵯ瑳汹ⵥ慰敲瑮∺㬢ऍ慭杲湩〺浣഻洉牡楧⵮潢瑴浯⸺〰㄰瑰഻洉潳瀭条湩瑡潩㩮楷潤⵷牯桰湡഻昉湯⵴楳敺ㄺ⸲瀰㭴ऍ潦瑮昭浡汩㩹吢浩獥丠睥删浯湡㬢ऍ獭ⵯ湡楳氭湡畧条㩥久䜭㭂ൽ慴汢⹥獍乯牯慭呬扡敬ऍ浻潳猭祴敬瀭牡湥㩴∢഻昉湯⵴楳敺ㄺ⸰瀰㭴ऍ潦瑮昭浡汩㩹吢浩獥丠睥删浯湡㬢ൽ灀条⁥敓瑣潩ㅮऍ獻穩㩥ㄶ⸲瀰⁴㤷⸲瀰㭴ऍ慭杲湩㜺⸲瀰⁴〹〮瑰㜠⸲瀰⁴〹〮瑰഻洉潳栭慥敤⵲慭杲湩㌺⸶瀰㭴ऍ獭ⵯ潦瑯牥洭牡楧㩮㘳〮瑰഻洉潳瀭灡牥猭畯捲㩥㬰ൽ楤⹶敓瑣潩ㅮऍ灻条㩥敓瑣潩ㅮ紻ⴍ㸭㰍猯祴敬ാ⼼敨摡ാ㰍潢祤戠捧汯牯眽楨整氠湡㵧久䜭⁂瑳汹㵥琧扡椭瑮牥慶㩬㈷〮瑰㸧㰍ⴡ匭慴瑲牆条敭瑮ⴭ㰾灳湡猠祴敬✽潦瑮猭穩㩥㐱〮瑰昻湯⵴慦業祬䄺楲污഻獭ⵯ湡楳氭湡畧条㩥久䜭㭂獭ⵯ慦敲獡⵴慬杮慵敧䔺ⵎ单㸧⁉浡椠瑮牥獥整⁤湩搠楯杮琍楨⁳潣牵敳映牯愠瘠牡敩祴漠⁦敲獡湯⹳猼慰瑳汹㵥洢潳猭慰散畲㩮礠獥㸢渦獢㭰㰍猯慰㹮⼼灳湡㰾ⴡ䔭摮牆条敭瑮ⴭാ⼼潢祤ാ㰍栯浴㹬

... what?

I have to copy and paste it to somewhere else (here, normally) then copy and paste it to GoogleWhatever.

Obviously its not a serious problem, but can anyone think why this is happening?

Well it seems not to be able to cope with the unicode in the sentence for some reason or other, and is spitting out a load of random symbols. Do you have the East Asian language support installed? That might explain why lots of the symbols are coming out as kanji/hanzi rather than just errors or other random things, but I can't help you any more than that.

Testing it in Google Translator, it appears to contain both Chinese and Japanese. Stuff about "immersion break", "Colt caught peach", "Akira torsion", "hot desert", "with both hands feared tinkling of gems", " bath Georgia Baptist", "Eddie mow", "Yumatongshi scratch soup nuts the entire Li", " Cuizhaimutiao Man", " Ta River Claims of Jiao", "Tao Mu were collected throughout" and " A Brighter Summer Day"

Testing it in Google Translator, it appears to contain both Chinese and Japanese. Stuff about "immersion break", "Colt caught peach", "Akira torsion", "hot desert", "with both hands feared tinkling of gems", " bath Georgia Baptist", "Eddie mow", "Yumatongshi scratch soup nuts the entire Li", " Cuizhaimutiao Man", " Ta River Claims of Jiao", "Tao Mu were collected throughout" and " A Brighter Summer Day"

Well, Chinese and Japanese share an awful lot of characters, and the vast majority of the stuff Ashley posted seems to be random symbols from this set, although there are a few characters that are Japanese-only. There are probably more that are just from Chinese, but I wouldn't be able to tell. And given these random symbols represent morphemes (units of meaning) rather than letters, sticking them together gets that kind of random stuff coming out - you'd get a similar effect if you chose random words from and English dictionary and shoved them all together.

Haha, that's an amazing error!

...sorry, I don't have a clue why it's doing it.

Why not just use Google Docs! :)

Because I need to send my notes as a .doc format and when I try and save from Google Docs the formatting goes shiiiiit.

Some of those characters look like total nonsense. Korean perhaps?:heh:
I didn't spot any korean but there's a lot of chinese characters, japanese hiragana and even some indo-aryan stuff (I have no idea which, there are too many) oh and a lot of gibberish computer-y characters.

Ashley, have you tried pasting it into a text editor with no hidden formatting first? Mac's equivalent of notepad, whatever that is.