Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2010

Retro_Link

Wow. What a fantastic climax to one of the greatest F1 seasons of all time. Despite many people labelling the race as dull and boring I was on the edge of my seat all afternoon, truly sensational viewing. The way it all played out, while not action packed was one of the most strategic races we've seen in years. I really enjoyed the fact that it turned into an intense battle of lap times and pit stops as the racing, sadly, was always destined to disappoint on the Abu Dhabi track.

I felt a huge sense of panic at the Schumacher incident, I truly thought Liuzzi had taken his head off! So it was a massive relief when he started moving around. It was a horrifying incident, in a way much worse than Webber's in Valencia, if he hadn't accelerated after his spin, and inched forward the results could have been disastrous. Shows how dangerous the sport can be but I'm glad Michael was OK and I hope he sticks around next year and gets a competitive car.

Great strategies by Rosberg, Petrov and Alguesuari pitting and then going a whole race on the primes. That was the move that swung the race, coupled with bad strategies from Ferrari and Red Bull (Webber) which ruined their chances at the title, and from that moment it was a formality. As a big fan of Petrov since GP2, (my girlfriend is Russian :grin:) I'm pleased he showed his ability today. He was quicker than Kubica all weekend (except for the latter part of the race) and was sensational in holding off the world champion elect. I really hope he keeps his seat next year as he is still learning and definitely has the raw talent. Despite being beaten to the GP2 championship by Hulkenburg last year, he managed to beat him in F1 which is a positive for him. Alonso's reactions at the end were disgusting. I can however understand his frustrations (also glad he complimented Petrov's excellent drive later on), and after today, I'm feeling less sceptical about the changes next year to the regulations. Time will tell if they actually improve the racing.

Good performances by both McLaren's, excellent way to end a difficult season. Great to see Jenson not getting hammered by Hamilton as many predicted he would be. I think they will both be very strong next year.

A word must go to Nico Rosberg as well, he's been quick all season and has beaten a racing legend soundly. Schumacher really came back strong at the end and I'm really excited for this team next year I hope each driver can manage at least one win and they are serious contenders for both titles.

Renault have also been very strong this year, Kubica has been dominant. Again, I look forward to them having a stronger car next year and am excited about both drivers, a good car will give Kubica a chance to fight for wins and possibly the championship and hopefully if they can retain Petrov he can use his experience from this year to demonstrate just how good he really is.

Williams have improved again this season and were lucky to beat Force India who fell away a bit at the end of the season. I'm a big fan of both teams and enjoy it when they score big points. The little battle they've had all season has been interesting and I was convinced Force India had the upper hand but lost it right at the end. Still, a positive season for both team and lots to build on for next year. I did read today the Hulkenburg's manager has confirmed he won't be at Williams next year, which is incredibly disappointing. He's an exciting talent and would benefit from being in a midfield team with Barrichello as a team mate, it seems they've opted for the cash Maldonado brings. So I hope force India can better them next year :p especially if they upgrade Di Resta to a race seat.

Sauber were poor this year, well, the car was. Understandable given the circumstance they stared under. I hope they revert to the classic blue and green livery next season. Kobayashi cemented his status as a great F1 driver this year, couple him with Sergio Perez and it's the most exciting Rookie line-up of all time! I'm hoping for and big things in 2011, whether they garner results will be irrelevant, they will be the most exciting team for sure.

Quiet season from Toro Rosso, they've suffered from not having greater Red Bull support - Alguesuari has improved massively as the season progressed and is a very exciting driver, who seems to have genuine pace. I'm not a massive fan of Buemi, I don't think he'll be replaced, but I also don't think he'd be missed if he was. He started strongly but hasn't really improved.

I don my cap in the direction of the new teams! I'm very pleased they all managed to survive, especially HRT. The battle between Lotus and Virgin was a highlight of the season for me, glad to see some rear of the grid competition back in F1. I can't wait to see how they all do next year and if Lotus will come out on top again. I've got a soft spot for Virgin (being a Yorkshireman), so I'd like to see them succeed and beat Lotus next year. Well done to HRT for securing 11th despite having the slowest car by a mile - an astonishing achievement considering they never upgraded the car once, they also had exceptional reliability which must be heavily applauded. Please get Karun Chandhok back in the car...!

So then, Sebastian Vettel is world champion. I have been forced to eat my words from earlier in the week as he's done it in an Adrian Newey car :p Regardless of what I said, he was completely faultless all weekend, and in Brazil for that matter. For such a young man he handled the pressure exceptionally well, much, much better than his more experienced team mate, which I must admit was a big surprise. Webber really disappointed me this weekend, and since Korea I guess. Vettel's seemed to have the upper hand since then and even though the margin was tiny, he's done it on pure pace, so respect must go to him. Kudos to Red Bull giving them both a chance this weekend. I have no option but to commend their decision and they have earned a massive amount of respect from myself, who was adamant that Webber must win at all costs.

I'll admit I was egging on an engine blow up during the race, but with hindsight I'm glad it didn't. Myself and many others on here have criticised his ability heavily, and while he does lack the racecraft compared with many of his competitors, over 19 races he has scored more points than anyone else. His Saturday performances have been almost flawless, and while Sunday has often been difficult, at times it's been dominant. It's acceptable to attribute this dominance to the car, but at the end of the day he's done his job the best he can and beaten his team mate, which of course is half the battle.

Without a doubt he is a quick driver and I hope in the future he can develop and hone his skills as a racer, because he is sure to provide some exceptional fights with the likes of Hamilton, Rosberg and Kubica over the next decade.

It was such an emotional moment when his team radio was broadcast, he is 23 years old (younger than me... :angry::grin:) and has beaten Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button to the world championship. I'm not ashamed to say that despite my general dislike of the guy I could feel myself welling up. I think I got caught up with so badly not wanting him to win that I was in some way detracting from what has truly been an exceptional performance for most of the season. When he stood on that podium and the German anthem was sounding, the only thoughts that came into my head were "you deserve that, kid" - because when it's all said and done and we're out of the intensity of the season, I believe he does.

His ability to perform under pressure is actually a quality that Hamilton really, really lacked in his rookie seasons and Webber has lacked towards the climax of this one. So whatever skills he lacks elsewhere, this truly made up for it when it came to the critical moment and is a real testament to his character, hell even Schumacher cracked in 1994 and 1997. So my congratulations and respect to Sebastian Vettel, the youngest F1 world champion of all time. I now know that some degree of my hatred towards him was because if he became champion, he would be the first younger than me, which would mean my chances were probably over.... :grin:

2011 is only 16 weeks away then! "The finger waver" will have a number that matches his finger on his car and the title fight promises to be even better than this year if Renault and Mercedes can get in the mix.

Hopefully the BBC will finally get rid of Legard, and we're on for the perfect season of F1. :grin:

Edited by Nicktendo

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Nicktendo - That's disappointing news if Hulkenberg isn't at Williams next year. He did get a lot of flak at the beginning of this year for not living up to his potential but it was his first year in the sport so I think they should have laid off a bit. He certainly stepped it up big time though towards the end of the season, and really it was poor strategy which hampered him in the latter races. He'll get a drive somewhere else if he isn't at Williams but it whether he'll get a decent drive I don't know. Williams would definitely be the place for him to stay to hone his skills a bit more.

I think Hulkenberg is one of the racers who's shown the potential to be world class this year. Granted, there's nothing hugely consistent to make them be right up there but a few more years and the likes of Hulkenberg, Sutil, Kobiyashi, Rosberg and even the Toro Rosso drivers, both of whom have shown a significant step up in terms of skill (Alguesuari more so than Buemi), could be considered some of the top drivers in the sport, although I'd expect Rosberg will probably have a good car next year as Schumacher will make sure that the car is well developed to be as competitive as possible.

I didn't include Kubica in that list because he's shown for some time that he's a world class driver and his drives this year in a car that clearly wasn't up to the standards of the likes of Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari but was still able to compete with them really has shown he's one of the drivers to watch for next season and beyond because he's definitely got the skill to win championships.

One thing though, anyone remember last year when the new teams were applying to join for this year? I could have sworn that US F1 had been accepted as a team but decided to hold off until 2011 so they could have a proper car and team ready. Anyone know whether they'll be turning up next year or was their spot given to someone else?

Yep, he's lost his seat at Williams, but he will be on the grid in 2011.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/15730

No new teams next year. USF1 were fined and banned from entering F1 after the farce at the start of the year. The FIA decided in August (I think) that none of the applicants were up to scratch so we'll have a 24-car grid next year provided no-one drops out. Lotus, Virgin and Hispania have all made positive developments for 2011, all 3 have funding and the technical side in place as well so it's very unlikely any of them will leave.

Lotus will do well next year, maybe sneak a few points too. It was mentioned on the Forum and it's kinda just hit me, but how weird is it to see Williams celebrating getting 6th....This was a team that dominated seasons, with Mansell, Hill and Jacques all winning titles for them in the 90s and now they have next to no sponsers for next season and are taking a PAY driver. Wow.

Eugh. Still can't get over Ferrari's blunder today. Heart broken :'(

Did I dream it (I had an F1 related dream a few days ago) or did Lotus announce they are going to use their Black and Gold colours in 2011?

F1 had better be careful about this whole pay drivers thing. It infuriates me that a driver is not in F1, the peak of world motorsport because of skill, but money instead.

I'm not sure where I stand on Petrov. Actually I am... I think their are drivers far more deserving of his seat. Sure he put in a consistant race today, but one race does not make your season, and it wasn't so much him today (sure he had to keep a level head), as it was the track making overtaking non existant.

Yeah I don't know how it's going to happen, but I'd love to see Williams back at the front someday soon. Real shame about Hulkenberg, I think him and Barichello make a really good team. I would have said Hulkenberg is the future of that team and perhaps deserve the seat more, however, upon hearing after Brazil that he didn't think it was right to change his tyres and only reacted to Rubens... it shows he's lacking fundamental knowledge/experience atm.

And I already said it, but yeah, Schumachers crash was too scary!!

Did I dream it (I had an F1 related dream a few days ago) or did Lotus announce they are going to use their Black and Gold colours in 2011?!

Yes, apparently that's totally happening but Lotus probably won't be called "Lotus" next year as Renault are going to be called Lotus once the ink dries on the sale contract of Renault's share in the team to the Group Lotus company (which is completely different to the Lotus Racing company). Go figure.

Yes, apparently that's totally happening but Lotus probably won't be called "Lotus" next year as Renault are going to be called Lotus once the ink dries on the sale contract of Renault's share in the team to the Group Lotus company (which is completely different to the Lotus Racing company). Go figure.
Ahh so I did read it somewhere, thanks!! :D

I'm majorly confused about this Lotus thing.

The Lotus taking over Renault are the company that produces the road cars like the Exige etc... right? But wasn't it also this company that used to race in F1 back in the day as a manufacturer. Was the seperate Lotus Racing company set up recently just so the name Lotus could be used in F1, or was it Lotus Racing that used to race in the past?

It seems a bit strange that Lotus Racing would use classic Lotus colours despite possibly not being called Lotus next year!

If they don't use Lotus in their name somewhere, I'd prefer they let the other Lotus team use that colour scheme... unless maybe the new Lotus team want to use Green and Yellow, so the current Lotus team have changed to Black and Gold.

Very strange we now suddenly have two Lotus teams with Renault engines!

That was confusing, but I understand... after reading it a few times.

So still 12 teams for next year then?

and currently no drive for Hulkenberg.

That was confusing, but I understand... after reading it a few times.

So still 12 teams for next year then?

and currently no drive for Hulkenberg.

Hulkenberg's manager Willi Weber has said he will definitely be on the grid next year. My guess is alongside De La Rosa in a HRT. Very small possibility he could be in a Renault if they do get rid of Petrov.

Ahh so I did read it somewhere, thanks!! :D

I'm majorly confused about this Lotus thing.

The Lotus taking over Renault are the company that produces the road cars like the Exige etc... right? But wasn't it also this company that used to race in F1 back in the day as a manufacturer. Was the seperate Lotus Racing company set up recently just so the name Lotus could be used in F1, or was it Lotus Racing that used to race in the past?

It seems a bit strange that Lotus Racing would use classic Lotus colours despite possibly not being called Lotus next year!

If they don't use Lotus in their name somewhere, I'd prefer they let the other Lotus team use that colour scheme... unless maybe the new Lotus team want to use Green and Yellow, so the current Lotus team have changed to Black and Gold.

Very strange we now suddenly have two Lotus teams with Renault engines!

As far as I can recall Fernandes and his company acquired the rights and other dregs of what was left of the old Lotus f1 team/company and acquired a license from Group Lotus (the car makers, owned by Malaysian car makers Proton) to use the name. Now of course with Proton wanting to get in on the action themselves by buying Renault's share in the Renault team they've terminated the license to use the Lotus name (Fernandes has mentioned he's prepared to go to the courts), so it looks like Lotus (the current team) isn't likely to be called Lotus, and Renault is likely to be called Proton Lotus, or something similar. Renault (the car makers) plans to stay in the sport but only as an engine supplier. An announcement about the takeover is expected sometime this week, probably Wednesday.

Edited by gaggle64

Hulkenberg's manager Willi Weber has said he will definitely be on the grid next year. My guess is alongside De La Rosa in a HRT. Very small possibility he could be in a Renault if they do get rid of Petrov.

I thought Williams offered him a multi year contract on the proviso that he went to HRT next year? Can't see him rejecting that only to sign for HRT anyway, that would be a stupid move. But then I cant see where else he will go, Force India if Di Resta isn't given a chance? Lotus? I imagine Petrov will stay at Renault after this weekend with all the sponsorship he brings with him.

Edit: Autosport appear to think so as well: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88301

Edited by Noodleman

I don't get what Williams were thinking there! Whack him in HTR because of the new Cosworth connection?... get money from a Pay driver for one year?... then get him back? That seems neither fair on him or the driver they get in. Stupid decision IMO. They are clearly not as finacially secure as they like to keep telling everyone if that was their plan!

Hulkenberg could have really done with next year at Williams to build on what he's learnt and I think he would have been a good fit for them for the future.

Circuit designs to finally be adressed?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88389

FIA president Jean Todt says new circuits will have to prove that they provide adequate overtaking opportunities, and has suggested that changes to current tracks to improve the spectacle could be on the cards.

"We need to favour overtaking," Todt told La Stampa. "It was impossible at Abu Dhabi."

"From now on, before homologating a circuit, we'll evaluate its spectacle potential, besides its safety."

He said the FIA was prepared to take rapid action on the overtaking issue.

"On 23 November we'll discuss the overtaking problem in the commission," Todt revealed. "It's the cars' and tracks' fault.

"We will create a report card with the circuits' competitiveness, and we'll see if we can make some modifications in 2011 already, if possible."

I honestly can't believe the Abu Dhabi track design was ever given the go ahead. Tilke has been getting away with it for too long. He can blame the cars all he wants, but they are what they are... now build a track they can race on!

Anyone think of any changes you'd like to see?

Catalunia's last corner returned?

Circuit designs to finally be adressed?

I honestly can't believe the Abu Dhabi track design was ever given the go ahead. Tilke has been getting away with it for too long. He can blame the cars all he wants, but they are what they are... now build a track they can race on!

Anyone think of any changes you'd like to see?

Catalunia's last corner returned?

Returning Catalunya's last corners will not increase overtaking but i'd love to see it back simply because the last few corners were spectcular to watch!

The chincane before the hairpin at Abu Dhabi will be dropped, and maybe the corner at the end of the straight. All we need is a 3rd gear corner leading onto a straight where the quicker driver can carry momentum through and there you have it, overtaking potential. For the record though, i'd rather they just got rid of Abu Dhabi altogether, the last sector is embarassing. The complete opposite of a Spa/A1 Ring. Shame :(

Valencia needs changes. Good god it's shit.

Valencia needs dropping! I shouldn't think it really could be changed, there's no room, stupid track in the first place!

Yeah Abu Dhabi should have never been built like that, complete failure!

Difficult to judge Korea, as it was a wet race.

Carrying more speed on to the main straight at Catalunia, might help some overtaking down it?... especially with KERS & Moveable rear wings next year.

A1 Ring needs to return!

Fernando got Spain a second GP at stupid Valencia for being a double world champion... well Red Bull are Austrian, they're World Champions, they basically sponsor the A1 Ring now and all other top manufacturers are represented by a circuit (Silverstone, Hockenheim, Monza)... bring it back!

Edited by Retro_Link

Will be interesting how the India track takes shape.

and what all this criticism on track overtaking will mean for the future Russian track that is meant to be brought in in 2014. I'd assume they'd pay attention to comments.

Also is there a USA track being brought back next year?

Will be interesting how the India track takes shape.

and what all this criticism on track overtaking will mean for the future Russian track that is meant to be brought in in 2014. I'd assume they'd pay attention to comments.

Also is there a USA track being brought back next year?

They are/were supposed to be building a whole new circuit complex (like Abu Dhabi) for a new US GP in Austin Texas for 2012.

However, I'm not sure if that's still going ahead, and if it is, I can't see it being ready for 2012!

They are/were supposed to be building a whole new circuit complex (like Abu Dhabi) for a new US GP in Austin Texas for 2012.

However, I'm not sure if that's still going ahead, and if it is, I can't see it being ready for 2012!

a quick search on wikipedia brought this back..

800px-Austin_f1_circuit_2010_08_28.jpg

Haha... they've got a long way to go to get it finished for 2012 then.

the proposed track layout below...

539px-Austin_Formula_One_circuit.svg.png

^ Yeah the proposed circuit and info actually sounds quite interesting, here's a link to an earlier post I made in this thread with a 3D model of the track and details about it...

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1201421&postcount=552

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if it actually manages to deliver decent racing, should it even go ahead!

^ Yeah the proposed circuit and info actually sounds quite interesting, here's a link to an earlier post I made in this thread with a 3D model of the track and details about it...

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1201421&postcount=552

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if it actually manages to deliver decent racing, should it even go ahead!

woah that is awesome, loving that it'll be raised.... if it goes ahead.

hope they get this into the 2012 calendar.

20 races in 2011.... 21 in 2012 or dropping a track?

woah that is awesome, loving that it'll be raised.... if it goes ahead.

hope they get this into the 2012 calendar.

20 races in 2011.... 21 in 2012 or dropping a track?

Yeah tracks will start being dropped, they're not gonna go above 20 I think.

New venues coming up include, India, Russia, USA, a proposed Rome street circuit... so yeah, not much room on that calender... I just hope the right tracks get dropped!

If anyone saw the GP2 races at Abu Dhabi, they will know that the track is not entirely to blame as there was plenty of overtaking.

Actually, Whitmarsh used the GP2 race as evidence as to why the track is flawed. Eugh, it's the whole track only has 1 racing line through it. Get rid of the chicane before the hairpin and add a 3rd gear corner or 2 at the end of the straight leading onto the second straight. Ideally they would go around the hotel too but it's not gonna happen.

American track definately has potential. Apparently after the Abu Dhabi race they are said to be looking at changing the technical section of the track as it won't help with overtaking, and also it'll reduce the lap time lots too.

Todt came out recently and said they want to have a look at changing some F1 tracks, especially for the upcoming season to make them more overtaking friendly. Hopefully they can get rid of the first few corners of Valencia because they are just wasted space. Don't expect many changes to any other tracks though.

Also, Schumacher seems to be loving these Pirelli tyres! :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!