Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2010

Retro_Link

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aslong as the track matches up to tracks like Laguna Seca and Road America i'm happy. Give it a some strong elevation changes, some fast sweeping corners with direction changes and a couple of heavy breaking zones and it could be a winner.

Purpose built facilities are great and very media and spectator friendly; hopefully the track will be good. I hope Tilke doesn't design it, because Abu Dhabi was a joke and so was Valencia (apart from Turkey and Malaysia he hasn't impressed me too much recently).

I hope Tilke doesn't design it,
Good one!

Laguna Seca... this is Tilke we're talking about... come on it's gonna be him!

I wish you were right, but hopefully as Gallge says he'll get some help.

It should be mandatory for drivers to help design a circuit, it was a bunch of them that helped with Silverstone's new layout and it's getting plenty of praise!

Good one!

Laguna Seca... this is Tilke we're talking about... come on it's gonna be him!

I wish you were right, but hopefully as Gallge says he'll get some help.

It should be mandatory for drivers to help design a circuit, it was a bunch of them that helped with Silverstone's new layout and it's getting plenty of praise!

Tilke is actually an excellent designer, it's the FIA's rules and restrictions on design that seriously hamper his ability to have free reign over the design. Malaysia and Turkey are excellent tracks, they have just been in locations that suit the FIA's rules better. Places like China (flat swamp), Bahrain (boring desert), Abu Dhabi (boring desert) and Valencia (space restricted, characterless harbour) really had no hope.

Tilke is actually an excellent designer, it's the FIA's rules and restrictions on design that seriously hamper his ability to have free reign over the design. Malaysia and Turkey are excellent tracks, they have just been in locations that suit the FIA's rules better. Places like China (flat swamp), Bahrain (boring desert), Abu Dhabi (boring desert) and Valencia (space restricted, characterless harbour) really had no hope.
Hmm... yes and no.

Yes Malaysia and Turkey are great tracks.

But I don't see how the location of the other tracks (other than Valencia which is of course restricted), has a baring on the design of the circuit, and the fact they have been poorl designed for overtaking.

It doesn't always have to be about attractive scenery, and level changes, so long as the races are exciting... and a number of key track design principles seem to always be missing from Tilke's tracks of late.

He could have done literally ANYTHING to showcase F1 in Abu Dhabi... they certainly had the budget and space... he could have even created artificial levels or bankings... but ultimately we got another floored race track!

Hmm... yes and no.

Yes Malaysia and Turkey are great tracks.

But I don't see how the location of the other tracks (other than Valencia which is of course restricted), has a baring on the design of the circuit, and the fact they have been poorl designed for overtaking.

It doesn't always have to be about attractive scenery, and level changes, so long as the races are exciting... and a number of key track design principles seem to always be missing from Tilke's tracks of late.

He could have done literally ANYTHING to showcase F1 in Abu Dhabi... they certainly had the budget and space... he could have even created artificial levels or bankings... but ultimately we got another floored race track!

I agree entirely with what you're saying, but I do think it's harsh to lay the blame squarely on him. Yes, it's easy to be critical of 'Tilke-dromes' (love that word) but, I do think there are a lot of other factors that play a decisive role in the overall crap-ness of the tracks.

Personally for me the biggest offence was on Hockenhem. That was an amazing track (arguably the best), unique and full of character, and they completely destroyed it making it a dull, generic, mess.

Read 2001 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockenheimring

It was a pretty good race, would have been nice if the rain had come down a bit harder though. I think webber is definitely gaining the upper hand in the title race now, I could see him winning a good few more races by the end of the season, that red bull is just far too good.

• 2 weeks later...

Qualifying yesterday was absolutely BRILLIANT, incredilble lap from Lewis and the difference in tyre choices between the teams leaves us with a potentially very fascinating grand prix with positions changing due to extra pit stops and ofc, safety cars.

Canada is back and I love it.

Yeah I am SO glad Canada is back!!

Lewis' lap was stunning!! and was funny seeing him coasting his car back the way he did :D

He could find himself in trouble in the race however... if he really is very fine on the fuel limit then the cars behind are gonna push him and push him so that he uses as much fuel as possible during the race... so he runs the risk of running out.

There was a lot of fuel saving going on in Turkey (although it may have just been team orders of some form) what with the 2 Red Bulls and 2 McLarens pushing themselves to the limits and Lewis may get the same here!

"Bring on the Wall"... of Champions!! :D

Pretty sure Alonso hasn't been in the wall as of yet, maybe today ;)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Michael make up a few positions in the race today, Mercedes have been quality at their pitstops this year; some good timed superfast stops could see them jump ahead of some of the others. Looking forward to seeing the final result, it's pretty hard to predict.

Yeah definately, especially if there are a couple of safety cars... (and yeah perhaps one from Alonso + the wall)

Kubica on for a possible podium?! Renault just continue to impress me!

And hoping for a nice result for Nico!

---

Also, I went to Prescott Speed Hill Climb the other week, and amongst all the new and classic Bugatti's, Ferrari's, Mercs etc... they also had Ayrton Senna's 1986 Lotus 98 Turbo F1 on display and driving up the course. Can't describe how incredibly special it felt being in the presence of that car!

Here are some of my photo's...

p1030026a.jpg

p1030047.jpg

p1030029a.jpg

p1030039e1.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

What a brilliant, brilliant race!!

Those first 10 laps were some of the best ever!!

Great drive from Hamilton and great racing against Alonso!! Not quite sure how Button fiished 2nd, he seemed pretty quite all race.

And Schumacher got what he deserved, no points for the arrogant prick!

Great finishes all round from Kubica, Rosberg and the two F.I. and Buemi!!

Edited by Retro_Link

What an astonishing spectacle from beginning to end. A superb fight for the lead between five different drivers that constantly threatened to go anyone's way. Epic fights throughout the midfield. Bad race for Schumacher but I enjoyed watching him get properly stuck in, a warning to anyone who might think he's lost any of his ambition. So good to see Montreal back on the calendar. Look forward to a nice nap during Valencia and then hopefully some more hot action in Silverstone.

Can't believe this race was ever removed from the calendar. Great to see such a tight race, I think it might have highlighted to some people why teams are always banging on about looking after tyres. I think rules need to be introduced to stop a repeat of qualifying yesterday, saving everyone ounce is vital in the sport but not having enough fuel to even make it back to the pits is nothing more than cheating really. Not that i'm saying that's what happened on this occasion as Lewis was still quicker but I could see it being an issue on some tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

2011 News

Pirelli to become F1's new tyre supplier

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84688

The FIA has announced that Pirelli has been picked as Formula 1's sole tyre supplier for three years from the start of the 2011 season.

Pirelli has 44 F1 wins to its credit from several previous periods in the sport, starting in the 1950s. It was last on the grid in 1991.

Good good. Now if only they'd bring tyre testing back!!

FIA announces movable wing changes

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84689

Drivers' use of movable wings will be reformed for 2011, after today's FIA World Motor Sport Council agreed a new regulation to improve overtaking next season.

Formula 1 is set to introduce an adjustable rear wing next season, in place of the current adjustable front wing and F-duct, and any device in 2011 will only be able to be activated to assist overtaking.

The bodywork will not be allowed to be moved during the first two laps of a race, and thereafter only when a driver is less than one second behind the car in front.

A statement from the World Motor Sport Council said: "From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps.

"The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated.

"The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met."

The FIA also announced that F-ducts will be banned for 2011.

"With the exception of the parts necessary for the driver adjustable bodywork, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011," the statement said.

The safety car rules have also been tweaked next season to confirm that drivers cannot overtake if the safety car enters the pit lane at the end of the final lap of a race, in reaction to Michael Schumacher's move on Fernando Alonso at Monaco.

I'm sure that's been made to sound ALOT more complicated than it need be! Still trying to get my head around the wording!

107 per cent rule returns for 2011

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84690

A statement released by the World Motor Sport Council said: "From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107 per cent of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race.

"Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable laptime in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards."

Fare enough.

FIA you suck why do you keep on makeing F1 rubbish I like it to be back to how it was like you can reflue and what is this 107 pecent rubbish and please put F1 in HD.

Ok, so what would you change? And when you say "back to how it was" what time do you mean?

Erm Canand the 107% rule is pretty good. Infact it's always been in F1 but was dropped in 2002 due to the change of qualifying format (single lap).

Don't bring back refueling. Apart from Bahrain and Monaco this season has been fantastic imo; we've already seen more overtaking this season than we did in ALL of 2009 and I think 2008 also. The only things we need in F1 are a reduction in aerodynamic grip (and the ban on DD will give us this) and phases of the race where mechanical grip varies significantly (like in Canada with the Super Soft not lasting).

Malaysia, China, Canada, Australia and Turkey were 5 brilliant races, with rain only being a factor in 2 of them (and it started drying in Aussie from lap 3-4). If anything it's the tracks that need fixing; Valencia this weekend will be DULL as hell, Abu Dhabi will be wank and Singapore will be poor. Don't blame that on rules and a lack of refueling, it's the tracks.

People always say 'F1 used to be better', well what era are they referring to? I always look back at the Schumacher-hakkinen days (so 98 and 2000 in particular) as F1's best days, atleast which I viewed) but qualifying was basically a 2 horse battle unless DC or Irvine popped in a good lap and the races were basically between 2 drivers, with unreliability popping up and creating a shock result. We've got Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Vettel and Webber all capable of winning the title this season and each has taken a win too. Yeah, we are gonna get dull races in the middle East like Bahrain but you could give the cars Mario Kart-esque Red Shells and nothing you do will make them better.

but you could give the cars Mario Kart-esque Red Shells
Yes please! :D

Combined with no DDD... this new 'F-Duct/Wing Stalling device' for 2011 does sound quite interesting.

EDIT: Just read the drivers negative views, and they have a point!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84716

Mark Webber said: "It is good for the PlayStation I think, but I don't know how well it is going to work in F1.

"We need to put some good research into it, understand it and make sure it is beneficial for everyone – the drivers, the show, the spectators and safety, which is a big thing."

He added: "Overtaking moves should be about pressurising, being skillful, and tactical. Yes we want to see more overtaking, of course we do, we know that, but we also need to keep the element of skill involved in overtaking and not just hitting buttons, like KERS, like adjustable rear wings.

"We need to get the balance right in having skillful races between each other, and not an IRL [indyCar] race where you pass each other four times per lap and everyone gets bored of that."

Robert Kubica backed up Webber's views that the moveable wing may not bring the added dimension to the spectacle that the teams hoped for in coming up with the plan.

"If the wings move a lot we will see the cars overtake in a straight line and I don't think there is a lot of excitement to see that," said the Renault driver. "It still will be the same for everyone and we will see how it will be working. The [adjustable] front wing was introduced to help overtaking by following the other cars, and we have seen it didn't work out."

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!