NEurope
ipaul

Annoying trends.

And what's with the Jack Wills hating?

I have a 13 year-old sister, whose friends all look like clones of each other, because they all exclusively buy from Jack Wills.

One day my sister comes home, and proclaims in the hallway: "I've realised the error of my life: Jack Wills!", and the rest of the family were like "Duh..."

Basically it's the most soul-less brand ever, aimed at private school kids with lots of money and no sense, and mothers on the verge of a mid-life crisis who want to feel hip again.

I'm getting the impression that you don't like these so-called designer clothes because you can't afford them or plain don't see the point in buying good clothes. I'll tell you this, once you buy a decent item of clothing, that is something which fits you properly, you won't regret it. It'll last you for a long time, won't lose its shape in the wash and will fit you perfectly.

Totally the wrong impression, considering I'm the first to endorse a good designer / shop in Harvey Nicks (if my parents are there to buy, lol). [but then, I'm the type of person who can go shopping for 4 hours with a wad-load of cash and see nothing I want, but then the next day see my favourite t-shirt ever. I'm quite particular about which clothes I buy.]

Jack Wills / Superdry / G-Star have very cleverly made their own style, (which in itself isn't a bad thing), and have got people to buy their clothes just for the label, but the brands themselves have become synonymous with "Rich (or wannabe rich) person who doesn't have any sense to buy proper nice clothes" and "Chav" respectively over time.

Wear whichever clothes you want, but just be aware.

Paj and chair. Just because you're bumming each other doesn't mean you have to agree with absolutely everything the other one says on the internet no one cares whether you "agree in sentiment". Make a real point. This isn't twitter where you're limited to the number of characters in a post; it's the opposite. Actually say something for yourself! Make a point other than agreeing.

Old.

Edited by chairdriver

I'm getting the impression that you don't like these so-called designer clothes because you can't afford them or plain don't see the point in buying good clothes. I'll tell you this, once you buy a decent item of clothing, that is something which fits you properly, you won't regret it. It'll last you for a long time, won't lose its shape in the wash and will fit you perfectly.

I disagree with the first half of this post. I don't buy designer clothes because I don't feel like paying upshot of £100 for some bloke to write his name on my jeans in writing too small to the naked eye. I agree with the "decent item..." portion, but if I can get a decent pair of jeans for under a tenner from somewhere like Peacocks, then job's a good 'un.

Peacocks as a rule are actually pretty bad, not that I'm biased with working with them or anything.

This post annoys me massively for several reasons;

- generalisations

- nonsense

- stupidness

- ignorance

- apathy

- patronising

- Fail.

I did try to cover my reasons for my reactions, but it was just infuriating me - mostly because I realised I was writing a fucking essay, and nobody likes a smarm.

Those thanking you are like a who's who in terms of general N-E assholes (except chair). The names honestly don't surprise me.

Thanks, but I'll trust my own instincts on the future successes of kids brought up by mothers who are milking a broken system and choose to do so rather than work. As I say, not all of these large-claiming mothers are like this, but it is truthfully a significant proportion. A generalisation it may be, but then again - people generalise all the time. It's like in the music topic where people may say 'likers of band X are all Y'. It doesn't mean they are correct, but there is often some likeliness or truth about a significant proportion of such people. I'm not saying my views are correct, but somewhat likely. We often never hear of the full details, and typically generalise.

e.g. chair, seeing as you thanked the post:

Basically it's the most soul-less brand ever, aimed at private school kids with lots of money and no sense, and mothers on the verge of a mid-life crisis who want to feel hip again.

You generalised the wearers of a particular brand of clothing. Now I'm not going to judge this as something negative against you, because as I'm sure you agree; when we say things we do so on our particular observations and at the same time realise that there are people who aren't like this, but we just don't bother to say it. The forum is full of generalisations...it's pretty much a way of getting strong opinions across. If people can't handle it, get out of the kitchen.

But Jay, you're a bit of a hopeless idealist. Maybe the cider you're constantly drinking has started to affect your brain. But seriously, I've been polite with you and not pointed out how much of a whiney bugger you are sometimes for so long, simply because you seemed somewhat a nice guy at the meetup. But some of the things you moan about are utter nonsense.

So tell me again - with the population the UK is projected to have in the near future, do you honestly think a woman having 15 children is sensible and fair? Second question: do you think that a system which allows a woman to remain jobless purely because she had children is a good and functional system?

By the way, the answer isn't 'yes' to either of those questions, just to let you know.

And to bluntly close the debate of 'should a woman be funded for 15 children?' - a woman who does not know how to make use of contraception is surely not worthy of taxpayer's money. If someone has a large family fetish, they should fund that themselves. If the argument was as simple as "more people in the UK = more money gained through tax!" then we would be flooding our country with just about anyone we can find.

Edited by Sheikah

I thought I was pretty decent with my clothing, but I've never heard of some of the brands/shops being thrown around in this topic. I feel less awesome about what I'm wearing now, and I am wearing a t-shirt that says "This guy is awesome". (No I am not lying, it was one of my christmas presents)

Last year I started seeing a lot of people wearing North Face jackets. That seemed weird, since I doubt they were all on their way to the peaks for some hiking/camping. I wouldn't say it annoys me exactly, but I wanted something to contribute to this thread.

Last year I started seeing a lot of people wearing North Face jackets. That seemed weird, since I doubt they were all on their way to the peaks for some hiking/camping. I wouldn't say it annoys me exactly, but I wanted something to contribute to this thread.

I've also noticed exactly that...it's strange as the coats don't seem anything special, or original. Are people just buying them for the logo?

...no one cares whether you "agree in sentiment". Make a real point...Actually say something for yourself! Make a point other than agreeing.

Oh fuck off. He quoted me, then said something sort of conclusively, and I replied so as NOT TO AGREE COMPLETELY. I was making the point that I thought he was being too harsh.

Your attitude makes no sense. It's just...plain wrong.

Children please, this is a thread to discuss annoying trends, not for you to spend whole posts having a go at each other. Do that in private. Further posts of the like will be removed and infractions etcetera shall ensue.

Okay. I just like to respond in my defence when people make up shit or are just inflammatory.

Okay. I just like to respond in my defence when people make up shit or are just inflammatory.

Yeah, same. My initial post was not targeting any particular member, but J7 felt the need to respond with comments such as 'stupid' and 'fail' - definitely those I'd consider inflammatory.

I'm a rather non-provocative person, but if someone mouths off at me I won't sit back and take it. Especially when they're BSing.

I thought I was pretty decent with my clothing, but I've never heard of some of the brands/shops being thrown around in this topic. I feel less awesome about what I'm wearing now, and I am wearing a t-shirt that says "This guy is awesome". (No I am not lying, it was one of my christmas presents)

I was given a t-shirt for christmas with the amazing chat-up line:

"Remember my name, you'll be screaming it later"

I'm wondering when I'll ever wear it. I can safely say I will, which is more than can be said for the mouse/rat necrophilia t-shirt I was given a few years back.

Flip-flops in winter.

I don't know if this trend has been going on before this year, but since coming to uni I've noticed guys doing this. They will go to sainburies dress for winter and then wearing flip-flops.

WHAT THE FUCK WEAR TRAINERS!

Flip-flops in winter.

I don't know if this trend has been going on before this year, but since coming to uni I've noticed guys doing this. They will go to sainburies dress for winter and then wearing flip-flops.

WHAT THE FUCK WEAR TRAINERS!

I see this ALL THE LIVE LONG DAY. I don't get it at all. Where is the sense in wrapping up warm only to throw on a pair of flip flops?

I'm glad somebody agrees, its a trend I see more and more, I don't see how this benefits anyone and flip-flops suck.

I saw that alot in Hull. It's basically a thing to declare yourself a massive, screaming cockpiece.

I saw that alot in Hull. It's basically a thing to declare yourself a massive, screaming cockpiece.

I'm honestly surprised you haven't started wearing flip-flops then daniel.

Haha, I haven't heard of some of these shops either. In general, the names on the back of clothes doesn't mean a lot to me. It's a bit difficult to describe, but there are certain clothes I look at and think "ahh, they're jim clothes!" or certain stuff I look at and think "hmm, not very me."

I must say that I'm not a fan of those t-shirt (like you have) with cheesy quotes or stuff on them. In fact, I die a little inside when I see people wearing them...sorry man. :heh:

One thing which I do not like (although not sure if it is still a trend that appears) is where girls have small quiff-like hair-styles:

pretty.jpg

I just do not like. :(

Also, when boys/men/manchild/dudes walk down the street, with the jeans 3 miles south of their arse. Just, no. It's a horrible look, and I mean that.

2847250943_2ebaf85185.jpg?v=0

Euck.

I get whatever random clothes fit me. I'm still wearing T-shirts I got when I was like 13. I've not grown much. :p

that is the way of a paraguyan. The latest piece of clothing was a hat that acquired of a dancefloor. :)

I shopped in Topman few months back. That almost broke my soul, ha! :heh:

My two favourite T-shirts are: Cupcake Kid made by Eenuh and my Justice concert T-shirt. :grin:

I thought Jack Wills was Jack Willis!

Also, when boys/men/manchild/dudes walk down the street, with the jeans 3 miles south of their arse. Just, no. It's a horrible look, and I mean that.

To be fair, it can be comfortable.

Edited by Ashley

I think it's a bit silly really. My friend and I saw a guy in school whose trousers were almost on his knees. He walked like a freaking penguin. We made fun of him behind his back. =P