N-Europe

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because emo rockers like breaking the mould. Whilst still getting presents.

Ah come on now this song existed when the oldest emos were still toddlers.

I can't believe rage is doing so well though. Even to get this far is good. Still doubt it will win though although I hoped to be proved. It's helped by the fact that the x factor song is really shit, like worse than usual shit.

Saw this on the news, pretty damn hilarious. What's funnier is the hate for RATM. Weird how people get so passionate about OTHER peoples music tastes. Who the hell even cares you're not the ones listening to it. Each to their own and all that no? Christ. Plenty of stuff out there I don't like but it doesn't mean it's crap.

OK...just a thought, and I'm probably wrong, but don't Simon own the Sony label now? The X Factor winners are signed by Sony, also signed by Sony are Rage Against The Machine...either way, Simon wins.

You can argue and say "We'd put a stop to manufactured music" and stuff but it won't. Anyway, wasn't this about not letting Simon get to number 1 and not putting money in his pocket? Well, wouldn't buying either Joe's or Rage Against The Machine's song put money in his pocket anyway?

I still really don't understand the song choice. Whatever happened to fun and quirky Christmas number 1s?

Read the lyrics. It really doesn't get much more simple than 'Fuck you I won't do what you tell me.'

It's about cultural subversion and that's all it is because if people were actually sticking two fingers up at capitalism, or whatnot, they'd buy a track from an unsigned artist or something along those lines.

Yet it was picked out of all the emo songs out there. I fail to see what your point is.

Why do you consider it an emo song? because it has expressive lyrics?

could be wrong just never saw it as an emo song... Doesn't really matter anyway

Edited by mcj metroid

Read the lyrics. It really doesn't get much more simple than 'Fuck you I won't do what you tell me.'

It's about cultural subversion and that's all it is because if people were actually sticking two fingers up at capitalism, or whatnot, they'd buy a track from an unsigned artist or something along those lines.

I think they think they're sticking two fingers up to Simon Cowell. But he's not singing...and he'll still make money anyway...

The ironic thing is - RATM are signed by a Sony subsidiary and so is Simon Cowell. So no matter which people choose Sony profit.

Perhaps but then the facebook group have set up a just giving page which is making a lot of money for a charity (cant remember who) which is a brilliant idea. 750,000 members, of course not everyone is going to donate but people are. Think they made £30,000 already.

And as for getting RATM to number 1, it's all just a bit of fun. Can't believe how serious some people are taking it. Sounds like it is doing well, be interesting to see how far it does reach by sunday, I think a top 5 is possible if sales continue like they are. But after tomorrow with the release of the x factor CD I reckon that will smack it.

I think they think they're sticking two fingers up to Simon Cowell. But he's not singing...and he'll still make money anyway...

The ironic thing is - RATM are signed by a Sony subsidiary and so is Simon Cowell. So no matter which people choose Sony profit.

I know but they are stupid if they think that. As an act of subversion it is excellent.

Can't go wrong for 29p at Amazon.

Doesn't it have to be a certain price to be included? To prevent dirty tactics such as lowering the price?

That's what was first thought but the facebook group guy checked with Amazon and the official charts people and had it confirmed that it counts.

Apparently.....

Personally I'd go for Fucked Up-Do They Know It's Christmas Time.

All the money goes to victims of sexual abuse, and missing and murdered women and features Paj and Chairdriver favourites Teagan and Sara.

I listened to the first 40-50 seconds before I was disgusted at how shit that was, even Band Aid 20 was better..