Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well whatever :p

It's not christmassy

Well, it may be christmassy, depends on your family :P

To be fair Joe's isn't a Christmas song either. I agree with you though, it should be a Christmas song but when was the last time that happened.

To be fair Joe's isn't a Christmas song either. I agree with you though, it should be a Christmas song but when was the last time that happened.

Well 2004 we had one trying to guilt us into thinking of starving children in Africa while we stuff our face with Christmas food.

So, next year's Christmas #1 Campaign; I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake

I'll make it happen :P

So, instead of being sheep and getting X Factor Stuff, the sheep went to the Rage route and succeeded.

It really isn't that fair though as many people bought multiple instances of Rage (at least from what I can tell, I know lots of people I have on my facebook bought at least 3.

The mentality behind this entire thing has made me laugh so much. "Lets not be sheep, lets all do this instead"

Personally, I'm going to listen to Christmassy stuff and not cacky death metal

Me too

I've done my part for Christmas and charity. Now, since it IS Christmas, Christmas songs!

Next year should be a Christmas song! :D

So, instead of being sheep and getting X Factor Stuff, the sheep went to the Rage route and succeeded.

It really isn't that fair though as many people bought multiple instances of Rage (at least from what I can tell, I know lots of people I have on my facebook bought at least 3.

The mentality behind this entire thing has made me laugh so much. "Lets not be sheep, lets all do this instead"

Welcome to page 4?

Anyway, I'm happy.

But annoyed.

I saw someone on Facebook, who has posted X-Factor status updates every weekend, say that they're happy about Rage being number 1.

Anyway.

Woo!

Welcome to page 4?

Anyway, I'm happy.

But annoyed.

I saw someone on Facebook, who has posted X-Factor status updates every weekend, say that they're happy about Rage being number 1.

Anyway.

Woo!

I can still complain now that this proves that sheep mentality works. The Daily Mail owners are punching the air

You've missed the point. The point was to make a point, not to not be sheep, anticonformity is still conformity. The reason it had to all be done under the Rage banner, is because X-Factor is so big, if we were to all split efforts over 5-6 different(hell, given the numbers I've seen, even just 2) songs, X-Factor would still win, and what good would that be? Can you honestly not see that? As for it being death metal, not that I'm tiptop on mine, but I wouldn't call it that myself, I've heard much more unpalletable stuff to the ears.

I can still complain now that this proves that sheep mentality works. The Daily Mail owners are punching the air

Well...

That's a bit like saying that any form of protest against a system of "sheepish" behaviour is therefore something organised and therefore itself "sheepish".

Just... seems odd.

So people should just not do anything?

I also suspect that most people who bought Rage have their own personal opinions and views to the matter and why they bought it.

Where as some people who bought the X-Factor song would have bought it because...

It's the X-Factor winner?

Why did it have to be under the Rage banner and not the banner of say, a great and classic Christmas Song. Something everyone knows and likes.

Because I can't think of any Christmas song that says, "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me."

Why did it have to be under the Rage banner and not the banner of say, a great and classic Christmas Song. Something everyone knows and likes.

It had to be a song with a strong message. Granted it's arguable other song could have been picked, even other RATM songs but 'Killing In The Name' has become synonymous with protest and rejection. It is a rallying call, not to mention a great song.

I'm sure next year the alternative Xmas song will be a Christmas one, but attempting to go up against X-factor with anything less that KITN, would just be stupid. You've got to fight fire with fire.

While it isn't a huge deal to me, I must say that Daft is right here, Serebii: If we're going to "fight the power", we have to gather our own herd, otherwise we stand no chance. It's just to prove a point: That X Factor, the mainstream herd, can be beaten. Next year, I hope there'll be more competition with maybe even a number of songs having a fair chance - hopefully Christmas songs! ;)

Yeah, next year I'd like to see other record companies actually push for a Christmas number 1 now they know that the X-Factor machine can be beaten.

I worry that next year there will be more over the top songs to have as Christmas number ones from people who didn't quite get the point of this.

I've already seen people on my Facebook saying about random songs like Slipknot, etc. being number 1.

Why did it have to be under the Rage banner and not the banner of say, a great and classic Christmas Song? Something everyone knows and likes.

Well surely the simplest answer to such a simple question, is simply because it was?

For exactly the reasons Daft said it had to be RATM. Second to that, it was a campaign that started with RATM, and once it was started it had to be done with the song chosen, so as not to split the efforts like I said. I think the song was an excellent choice for it's point and message actually, I'd never actually properly listened to it before cos it's not my priority music, but I heard it often when I was out and about, and I liked it, but never really listened. Before this campaing, I didn't actually even know the name of it!

It's just really sad that who ever decided on the whole "fight the corporate machine" angle didn't realise that ultimately they are both owned by Sony. Way to fight the power.... *sigh*

...shit.

I just looked it up and found out this is true?

Fucking hell.

Egg on my face.

Cuh...

Disagree. Their worst good song. Lol. You get what I mean.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking more in a rallying way (that's probably due more to what the song has become rather than the actual song).

'Settle For Nothing' has to be my favourite, I'm thinking.