Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo cutting down Wii production. Wii HD closer?

Choze

Only in Japan that Nintendo has been having slow down in momentum and Sony and Microsoft are doing motion controllers to latch onto the market that Nintendo has.

Its the same outside Japan. Everywhere Wii isnt doing anywhere near as before.

Also yes i expect Nintendo to keep Wii HD a secret till the last moment as usual.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS3 is doing the opposite. The amount by which the Wii has slowed down has surprised plenty of people.

PS3 is finally at a cost that the general public can afford. Who would have thought a console becoming essentially half it's original price after 3 years would yield higher sales.

Yeah if you start off selling billions its logical you will eventually drop to thousands. The reverse can be true too (originally the PS3 sold mostly to die-hard fans but with a deduced price and increased catalogue its increased its sales).

To presume the Wii would constantly continue to sell, what can only be described as a surprising shitload, was naive. It had to slow down eventually. If not to make Christmas easier for video game retailers alone.

"Got any Wiiiiis?"

"No.'

"YOU RUINED CHRISTMAS YOU BASTARD I HATE YOU I'M GOING TO RING TRADING STANDARDS AND MY KIDS ARE GOING TO CRY ALL CHRISTMAS."

-_-

The Divnich Debrief: Wii Declared Winner of This Console Generation

To decide whether the Wii can maintain its lead, we should forecast a worst-case scenario for the Wii and a best-case for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

For the Wii, let us assume a 25% decline in sales next year; followed by two years of 30% declines, and a 50% decline in 2013. For the Xbox 360, we'll assume a 10% increase through 2012, and a 30% decline in 2013. For the PlayStation 3, a 25% increase next year, followed by two years of 10% increases and a 30% decline in 2013. I project that 2013 will be the last year of the cycle, and it is typical to see declines at these levels when a new cycle begins.

PS3 is doing the opposite. The amount by which the Wii has slowed down has surprised plenty of people.

You do realize the Wii is still selling much better than the Gamecube was at this point last generation. Nintendo are still making tons of money with the Wii, regardless, it costs next to nothing to produce one these days, compared to what they're selling them for. They're also making tons of money with the software they do release, and the DS is still on top of the sales charts, lets not forget. Nintendo doesn't need to release a slightly updated console to tide people over for their next console, regardless of how much some people want one. It would be more expensive to produce, not to mention it would take R&D resources and money away from the development of the next console. And on top of that, since the software would be exactly the same, they probably wouldn't see a long-term increase in sales. They've got a strong line up for 2010, and possibly 2011 too, depending on what games get delayed, that should be enough to maintain and even increase sales for a while, at least until they're getting closer to releasing their next console.

Well great games sell machines. I really think ps3 is on a role with the great games in the last year from what reviews I've been seeing... The wii is kinda dry at the moment and has been the last year. new super mario bros was very much needed otherwise I wouln't like the wii chances this christmas.

Next year SHOULD be fucking better as I keep saying :)

Its the same outside Japan. Everywhere Wii isnt doing anywhere near as before.

Also yes i expect Nintendo to keep Wii HD a secret till the last moment as usual.

You sir are an idiot. The Wii is still outselling both the XBOX and the PS3 in the worldwide weekly sales charts but somehow that's a disaster?

I believe this is the Wii's 4th Christmas and it's 4th Christmas on top of the sales charts. It has also sold quicker than any console before it, what are people expecting?

The PS3 has seen a turn around this year, mainly due to massive price cuts and a redesign. What's more, the PS3 is still not profitable for SONY:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1054736p1.html

However the report says they should start to break even in 2010.

Just to hammer home this point, please look at the sales figures for last week in the US and the Europe

America:

DS 532,344

Wii 496,754

360 213,798

PS3 209,341

PSP 101,071

Europe:

DS 638,215

Wii 470,568

PS3 288,162

360 182,482

PSP 163,083

Hardware:

Wii	142.000
PS3	 76.000
360	 10.000+
DSi	 70.000
DSiLL	 60.000
DSL	 10.000
PSP	 71.000
PSPgo	  3.300

Media Create Sales: Dec 7 - 13

01. / 01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 431.000 / 1.366.000 (-54%)

02. / 00. [WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 143.000 / NEW

03. / 06. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 102.000 / 1.924.000 (+36%)

04. / 00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 93.000 / NEW

05. / 00. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai) - 76.000 / NEW

06. / 08. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 75.000 / 3.228.000 (+19%)

07. / 02. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 74.000 / 361.000 (-74%)

08. / 09. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 64.000 / 1.109.000 (+23%)

09. / 07. [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 57.000 / 121.000 (-11%)

10. / 03. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 56.000 / 279.000 (-75%)

11. / 05. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5)

12. / 00. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)

13. / 13. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)

14. / 00. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)

15. / 00. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)

16. / 04. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)

17. / 18. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)

18. / 20. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to 2 Yome! (Namco Bandai)

19. / 00. [NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous Entertainment)

20. / 21. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)

21. / 24. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

22. / 12. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)

23. / 00. [NDS] 9 Doors of 9 People of 9 Hours (Spike)

24. / 17. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)

25. / 10. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)

26. / 22. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)

27. / 27. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

28. / 14. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)

29. / 19. [NDS] Stitch! Ohana to Rhythm de Daibouken (Disney Interactive)

30. / 11. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami)

Edited by Dante

Wii yearly sales are significantly down from last year despite taking into account these spikes and lows.

I think Wii should finish ahead of PS3 this year in Japan but not by much at all. PS3 has nothing to do with Wii's declines though. Different markets going by the charts. The fact it even got close in a small amount of time is amazing.

I think MS will make a go for Wii with Natal. They arent that interested in improving hardcore gaming stuff and are buying out casual gaming studios left and right while selling hardcore ones. Wii HD(Zii) will probably be announced nearer to Natal release date. Sony, i can see only competing maybe on the hardcore front with games like RE5. I dont expect any change in direction for the PS3 as they are pretty focused.

My wild guesses.

I think MS will make a go for Wii with Natal. They arent that interested in improving hardcore gaming stuff and are buying out casual gaming studios left and right while selling hardcore ones. Wii HD(Zii) will probably be announced nearer to Natal release date.

This. Nintendo have been relatively lucky this generation to sit around untouched. But with Natal closing in they've definitely got something to worry about. If Microsoft can price it correctly, then that will create some tough competition for Nintendo presuming they don't release a Wii HD.

I think Sony's Gem will do alot better than Microsoft's Natal.

Lets be realistic. Its abit hardcore and expensive. PS3 still costs as much as Wii and 360 combined to target casuals. Natal is a cheap webcam unlike sony's which has the cost of both MS's and Nintendo's solutions(webcam and motion controller).

I think Sony have the advantage of better Wii ports and gamers games e.g RE5 type stuff but thats not so big sales wise. Thats my hunch.

Natal is a cheap webcam unlike sony's which has the cost of both MS's and Nintendo's solutions(webcam and motion controller).

No, no it isn't. Not by a long shot. Natal is not just a web cam. From Wikipedia:

The device features an "RGB camera, depth sensor, multi-array microphone, and custom processor running proprietary software", which provides full-body 3D motion capture, facial recognition, and voice recognition capabilities. The Project Natal sensor's microphone array enables the Xbox 360 to conduct acoustic source localization and ambient noise suppression, allowing for things such as headset-free party chat over Xbox Live.

and

The depth sensor consists of an infrared projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor, and allows the Project Natal sensor to see in 3D under any ambient light conditions

also

Described by Microsoft personnel as the primary innovation of Project Natal' date=' the software technology enables advanced gesture recognition, facial recognition, and voice recognition. The skeletal mapping technology shown at E3 2009 was capable of simultaneously tracking up to four users for motion analysis, with a feature extraction of 48 skeletal points on a human body at a frame rate of 30 hertz.[/quote']

No, no it isn't. Not by a long shot. Natal is not just a web cam. From Wikipedia:

and

also

Natal is much more than just a webcam. However whether it will work or not is yet to be seen. All the demos so far seem to have been staged or involve people in orange jump suits playing in front of white backgrounds.

Let's see if it works as well in people's living rooms...

Natal is much more than just a webcam. However whether it will work or not is yet to be seen. All the demos so far seem to have been staged or involve people in orange jump suits playing in front of white backgrounds.

Let's see if it works as well in people's living rooms...

And besides, Natal is racist.

More evidence that the Wii is doomed, last week's sales figues (worldwide):

Wii 1,583,851

DS 1,539,263

PS3 663,162

360 493,894

PSP 387,977

Note, when I said the Wii was doomed, that was sarcasm!!!

Further to this, NSMBWii sales now stand at 5.22m which is already above the MW2 sales on PS3 and is rapidly closing on the MW2 sales on 360.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Note, when I said the Wii was doomed, that was sarcasm!!!

Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

3 million Nintendo consoles in one week? That's insane. As when the PS2 was on top, I'm wondering who is still buying them? Surely everyone that wanted one would have bought one by now?

All I can't say is if I were nintendo I'd be pissed off with some wannabes trying to sail in my ocean.

And now I will quote from the book of mozilla:

Mammon slept. And the beast reborn spread over the earth and its numbers grew legion. And they proclaimed the times and sacrificed crops unto the fire, with the cunning of foxes a revolution. And they built a new world in their own image as promised by the sacred words, and spoke of the beast with their children. Mammon awoke, and lo! it was naught but a follower.

from The Book of Mozilla, 11:9 (10th Edition)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!