N-Europe

Hotmail Upgrading Database... Legit?

Retro_Link

Had an email this morning as follows:

Sent: 10 October 2009 10:33:29

Dear Account User

This message is from Hotmail Customer care messaging center, to all free Hotmail account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base, and e-mail account center. We are deleting all unused Hotmail accounts to create more space for new accounts. To prevent your account from closing, you will have to update it below so that we will know that it's a present used account.To do this, You have to click on your reply button to reply back to this message and then you fill the information below.

* Username : ………………………..

* Password: …………………………..

* Date of Birth: ………………………

* Country Or Territory: ……………

There's been ALOT in the news recently about hackers sending out false emails to collect peoples info and then hack all of their accounts/credit cards/paypal etc...

Has everyone else recieved this email?

Hotmail, or any other company providing an email service will never ask you for your personal details in an email. What are they going to do with them ifyou do give them? Update their system with the millions of replies they get?

Report it as phishing if Hotmail have a system to do this.

Yeah 100% spam.

It worries me that people reply to these sorts of phishing scams but to be honest doesn't really surprise me as a lot people just don't know what they're doing on the internet.

Edited by Platty

Tbh I thought it was fake, but that hasn't come across in my post.

I thought [email protected] was dodgy, and the whole email to be honest...

But in all my years this is actually the first time EVER i've recieved an email like this, so I was quite shocked to get one, and it went straight into my inbox, not the junk.

Anyways thanks for the confirmation.

Tbh I thought it was fake, but that hasn't come across in my post.

I thought [email protected] was dodgy, and the whole email to be honest...

But in all my years this is actually the first time EVER i've recieved an email like this, so I was quite shocked to get one, and it went straight into my inbox, not the junk.

Anyways thanks for the confirmation.

There's loads of emails like this. A lot of them are just chain mail.

I prefer the paypal scam emails at least they try to trick you with the email address.

They have bank ones, too. It's quite easy to send an email from any email address you want (although most good webmail/clients generally realise if it's been sent like this) and they have links to sites like "www.blab.paypal.com/login" that looks exactly like paypal's (or a bank's) website.

Basically, if you get any important email that asks to to click on a link and login and you're unsure, either look carefully at the address (don't click it).

If you're still unsure, close the email and go to the paypal/bank's website manually.

I've seen a lot from my work's email (because Outlook is awful at detecting spam).

Once caught my Dad filling in all his bank information in one of those paypal phishing scams many years ago... the only reason he didn't finish entering everything (he even put his PIN and Mother's Maiden name down) was because he couldn't remember the password and came to ask me what it was.

Damn thats pretty bad Shorty but I'm sure people do that kind of thing daily.

My favourite one is the African guy pleading with you to deposit their millions into your bank account to save it from the Government. :blank:

Never reply to a spam message (even if it's a F**k off) as it only confirms that your email is active and more often than not you'll start receiving more.