NEurope
Nicktendo

Nick Griffin to appear on Question Time - 22nd October 2009

I don't get these protests about him appearing on Question Time. They want the BNP censored? A political party that represent the views a certain percentage of the British population? Isn't that a lot like telling people what they can and cannot think rather than letting them make their minds up for themselves? Nick Griffin appearing on the show isn't significant. A politician appearing on a political program is not significant. The significant entity is that such a large number of people are so outraged by him that they are willing to throw down the whole concept of freedom of speech and use it as a doormat. Do we really want a society where we can no longer voice our thoughts for fear of someone else taking offence?

The protesters sicken me more than the BNP (though I can't say that I agree with their view for the future of Britain either).

"I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." - Voltaire

Yes, it would be. So we'd get a half hour show of people slagging him off, rather than allowing him to speak and getting some idea of actual credible policy out of him. I know I'd rather have a decent political debate on all issues rather than half an hour of people screaming "RAAAAAAACIST!!!!!!!" at him. Question Time is bad enough on a normal week, doing a live show this week would make it about as politically and intellectually relevant as "Big Brother" (though I guess it would then be representative of the people in the audience, i'm expecting twice the number of fuckwits this week :().

Well in that case...show the live show to show what really its is like and then do another one on another date...or show the edited version and then further down the line show what really happened...

I just think the BBC are here as a public service to show all sides of the coin, give fair unbiased (not something they do) coverage to all political parties etc...Then why not showing it as it is rather than pussy footing around it and showing us an edited version of what really happens, they didn't do the same when theres been issues such as iraq and other politicians have got a grilling...

I saw a tweet on Twitter that sums it up perfectly...

@redster73: Anti fascists denying someone the basic freedom of speech....I'm getting really confused now....

Also another from someone who was at the recording

@DavidWooding Griffin on Question Time all over. Hes left. Worth watching. He gets an absolute pasting.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

Just seen some clips on the news from tonight Question Time.

He makes me so angry.... so, unbelievably angry.

But yeah... if he's allowed to stand for elections he obviously should be allowed on TV.

The fuck? "My father was in the RAF during the war, Jack Straw's father was in prison"? He called RAF airmen mass murderers for bombing Dresden during a protest outside Canterbury Cathedral!

Well in that case...show the live show to show what really its is like and then do another one on another date...or show the edited version and then further down the line show what really happened...

I just think the BBC are here as a public service to show all sides of the coin, give fair unbiased (not something they do) coverage to all political parties etc...Then why not showing it as it is rather than pussy footing around it and showing us an edited version of what really happens, they didn't do the same when theres been issues such as iraq and other politicians have got a grilling...

Maybe they're doing it because they have a TV program to film. They call it "Question Time", not "Jerry Springer". If they film it live and cut it at the hour mark like they normally do it'll end up resembling an episode of the latter rather than the former. I already know why people hate him, it's common knowledge. I'd rather this chance was used to debate more interesting policy issues like how the BNP would tackle Britain's economic problems if they (shudder) ever got in to power.

I haven't been this excited about question time for ages! (and yes there have been times in the past where particular politicians have been on to get me looking forward to it)

Everything that needed or should've been was said was said, so it almost seems pointless to regurgitate the show.

Interesting show. I fully support his right to be on it, as an elected politician he has every right to appear on political dicussion panels.

He got owned a few times - Jack Straws "as justice secretary, I give you permission to break the law" was brilliant. Griffins attack on Straw at the start about his father being in prison was ridiculous, his KKK explanation was cringe worthy, and the way he changed his mind completely about booting every minority out at the start to "I'm quite happy for you to stay" was so sleazy. He did manage to fool the audience a couple of times - there were a couple of claps for his policy ideas, which were ridiculous but dressed up nice - but overall I think he only came out of it badly. The audience had a couple of goes at him too; "The repulsion is neutral", "Dick griffin" etc.

As for the other panellists I thought the Lib Dem guy came across quite well, and the American woman spoke sense. Jack Straw was a mixed bag and didn't react very well to attacks on Labour policy. Baroness Warsi was a mix too, some of what she said was bollocks but a she made some good points.

That was awesome - nice to see the BNP's true colours of lying, racism, nerves, and stupidity (I found the "Christian Britain" part particularly strange).

Mega kudos to Dimblebey and the panellists for not letting Nick Griffin spout his usual PR bullshit.

Oh, and anyone else find it ironic that anti-fascists are denying people freedom of speech and freedom of the media? Oh, shit, wait, they're a bunch of Commies, they do that too!

Interesting show. I fully support his right to be on it, as an elected politician he has every right to appear on political dicussion panels.

He got owned a few times - Jack Straws "as justice secretary, I give you permission to break the law" was brilliant. Griffins attack on Straw at the start about his father being in prison was ridiculous, his KKK explanation was cringe worthy, and the way he changed his mind completely about booting every minority out at the start to "I'm quite happy for you to stay" was so sleazy. He did manage to fool the audience a couple of times - there were a couple of claps for his policy ideas, which were ridiculous but dressed up nice - but overall I think he only came out of it badly. The audience had a couple of goes at him too; "The repulsion is neutral", "Dick griffin" etc.

As for the other panellists I thought the Lib Dem guy came across quite well, and the American woman spoke sense. Jack Straw was a mixed bag and didn't react very well to attacks on Labour policy. Baroness Warsi was a mix too, some of what she said was bollocks but a she made some good points.

That was pretty much what I was going to say, but you put it so well. I especially liked Straw's "I will personally prevent you from extradition for holocaust denial" bit, and Chris Hunhe, whilst saying only about half a dozen things at most, constantly spoke perfect sense.

I never watch question time. I barely did, I tried out that new Russell Howard thing instead(bit shit as it happens) then switched over when it finished half hour later.

The fact that we're trying to censor him from appearing is what makes him successful. Nobody likes a hypocrite, and we're doing it, as has been pointed out already, how can we complain about his fascist views whilst acting just as bad by trying to dictate he isn't subject to the same freedom of speech we all are?

The fact that we FEAR him being on the TV will be enough to make some people consider taking him seriously. Now he's just been watched by a humungous(no quotable stats, im presuming, but I think it's not ill-informed) number of people, more than he ever would have been if there was no furore. He's probably just gained some supporters off that. There MUST be something in there worth fearing, and people will realise that, and be open to him because of it. We're slowly fucking ourselves over in our attempts to 'fight' him and his/his party's views.

From what I saw of it though, he was better than I was expected. Seeing one dude talk on TV about some shit isn't enough to make me think I should consider politics anyhow. I don't judge labour just by Gordon Brown, I don't judge the Conservatives by David Cameron. No matter if Nick Griffin was the most entrancing enigmatic man ever, I wouldn't find myself liking the BNP. However, on the show and off it, rather alot of people are reacting emotionally to him, heatedly, that is not going to do us any favours in the long run, and it could be exactly the back door that might let them sneak them up to the top, for us all to realise it's happened after it's too late.

I could go on about Nick Griffin and the BNP more, but essentially I find them highly contradictory in their reasoning, arguments, and examples they use to try and support their views. It's ridiculous yet frightening they're being taken so seriously, really. Why can't we all just laugh it off, like any other joke?

That man makes me physically ill.

"Indigenous" people? Christian nation? Yeah....sure....

Well that was fun. Exposed Griffin for the shallow, brainless turd that he is- he has no ideas, no policies and merely lied and squirmed under scrutiny like the stupid cunt he is.

The BBC comment page seems to have been invaded by an organised BNP flood though, which is a shame.

I definitely came to some conclusions. I conclude that Nick Griffin is probably the ugliest thing I've seen with one head.

He reminded me of Dr Strangelove, struggling to suppress his old Nazi ways but being unable to stop the odd salute slipping out.

The BBC comment page seems to have been invaded by an organised BNP flood though, which is a shame.

The BBC comment page is always like that though. The best rated comments in any of the threads are always by people you're surprised can brush their own teeth safely let alone work a computer.

Edited by weeyellowbloke

However, on the show and off it, rather alot of people are reacting emotionally to him, heatedly, that is not going to do us any favours in the long run, and it could be exactly the back door that might let them sneak them up to the top, for us all to realise it's happened after it's too late.

I could go on about Nick Griffin and the BNP more, but essentially I find them highly contradictory in their reasoning, arguments, and examples they use to try and support their views. It's ridiculous yet frightening they're being taken so seriously, really. Why can't we all just laugh it off, like any other joke?

Don't you think it's just too late for people to ignore them and laugh them off though, they're getting votes. Surely ignoring them is increasing their chances of ''slipping in the back door''.

Anyone see Alan Davies talking on This Week straight after, he talks alot of sense!

I'm watching it right now, and I have to say, the entire episode is just a vehicle to humiliate the BNP via semantics and loopholes in logic. I can't imagine there's any one human being on the planet who could realistically upstand such an onslaught. Don't get me wrong - my posts in this thread should already explain where I stand on teh subject - but there was something almost borderline-bullying about this. Perhaps that's the only way about it? I don't know. I just found many of the arguments that won applause were, in themselves, equally flawed and biased.

I really hate politics and its mixed identity. For the lols, of course.

Don't you think it's just too late for people to ignore them and laugh them off though, they're getting votes. Surely ignoring them is increasing their chances of ''slipping in the back door''.

Anyone see Alan Davies talking on This Week straight after, he talks alot of sense!

It's strange somehow to see Alan Davies taking part in an intelligent discussion. I know he's playing a character on QI but it's still odd! :p

The woman that was sitting on the far right of the desk was amazing. Some of the looks and comments she made were hilarious. I really didn't understand why people were complaining about Griffin being on the show. Obviously people are uneducated about some of the things he's both said and believes in, and this was a perfect way to get him to show his true colours.

He was being verbally bitch-slapped for the majority of the program, it was incredibly satisfying to watch. I also feel the need to make out with another guy in-front of him now, after his "It's creepy" comment.

Now now, I'd never ignore a joke-in fact, I tend to take my jokes very seriously! I don't think I ever said to just ignore them anyway, I'd never advocate ignoring them. In fact, it's ignorance which largely feeds their growth.

I saw some of the thing Alan Davies was saying, but then I stopped paying attention cos I started posting here. It sounded interesting though I wasn't actually sure what he was saying. It's late so this post is staying short, but I'll post something tomorrow that just struck me about one of the reasons I think they're gaining power, political correctness.

Funnily enough, I flicked throught channels after, ended up on Sky3 watching 'BNP Wives', halfheartedly, but one bit with them reminded me of Scientologists when they were canvassing, and the dude said to the camera that some woman who objected on the street was 'a left wing operative' when she was...just a woman who was rightly offended with them.

I'm watching it right now, and I have to say, the entire episode is just a vehicle to humiliate the BNP via semantics and loopholes in logic. I can't imagine there's any one human being on the planet who could realistically upstand such an onslaught. Don't get me wrong - my posts in this thread should already explain where I stand on teh subject - but there was something almost borderline-bullying about this. Perhaps that's the only way about it? I don't know. I just found many of the arguments that won applause were, in themselves, equally flawed and biased.

I really hate politics and its mixed identity. For the lols, of course.

Sadly, I think I have to agree, sort of what I was trying to get at with my first post. I definitely think it does 'us'(as I keep saying, us and them, I refer to 'us' as those opposed to the BNP) any favours in fighting them.

I've actually switched to the BNP now.

He made a lot of sense.

Fuck you homo-Muslim-immigrant-black-people!

*rages fist at world*

I'm white and pure!

POWER TO MEEEE!

Anyway, we all knew Dick Griffin was a twat, but it was nice to see him indirectly being called a twat for an hour.

The chap who called him Dick Griffin was the best.

Most other people were obviously overcome with their own personal disgust and hatred that they ended up with a bumbled pile of confusing crap for a question.

I really fucking loathe him though...

There's no one else in the world that makes me as angry as Dick and his band of half-wits.

Mostly it's because I know people, good people, who have voted for the BNP under their façade.

Now now, I'd never ignore a joke-in fact, I tend to take my jokes very seriously! I don't think I ever said to just ignore them anyway, I'd never advocate ignoring them. In fact, it's ignorance which largely feeds their growth.

I saw some of the thing Alan Davies was saying, but then I stopped paying attention cos I started posting here. It sounded interesting though I wasn't actually sure what he was saying. It's late so this post is staying short, but I'll post something tomorrow that just struck me about one of the reasons I think they're gaining power, political correctness.

Funnily enough, I flicked throught channels after, ended up on Sky3 watching 'BNP Wives', halfheartedly, but one bit with them reminded me of Scientologists when they were canvassing, and the dude said to the camera that some woman who objected on the street was 'a left wing operative' when she was...just a woman who was rightly offended with them.

Sadly, I think I have to agree, sort of what I was trying to get at with my first post. I definitely think it does 'us'(as I keep saying, us and them, I refer to 'us' as those opposed to the BNP) any favours in fighting them.

Apologies for miss quoting Rummster! It is mainly ignorance that fuels them. I hope that those ignorant people saw Nick Griffin for what he is, but unfortunately it'll probably be those people who feel sorry for him because he was ''bullied'' on Question Time.

I always feel really bad for the people with their arms raised who get picked on (yay! I'll be on tv! I can vent and be angry and stuff!) only to have their 'question' completely ignored.

And that greengrocer with teh 'tache and the nike jacket (around 33 mins?) -- wtflol!

The woman that was sitting on the far right of the desk was amazing. Some of the looks and comments she made were hilarious. I really didn't understand why people were complaining about Griffin being on the show. Obviously people are uneducated about some of the things he's both said and believes in, and this was a perfect way to get him to show his true colours.

He was being verbally bitch-slapped for the majority of the program, it was incredibly satisfying to watch. I also feel the need to make out with another guy in-front of him now, after his "It's creepy" comment.

Bonnie Greer! Great woman. A pristine example of why art is far more important than logic in a society.

To be fair it was a bit of a bullying session and I agree with the sentiments of Jayseven. Instead of trying to constantly quote him down or murk him on the points he made, actually countering them (which isn't hard, and often they didn't do it) would have been more effective and credible. But, as it was, he is such an incomprehensibly large tool that he still managed to flake and divulge over points like a school girl choosing her hairstyle on the first day of term, that he went into minus points on the credibility counter. It was great TV and the woman on the right was pure genius, her lols per minute ratio would put even the mighty ReZ to shame. Jack Straw was a bumbling idiot most of the time, particularly on Labour related issues. The others were non-features really.

It was a little too BNP-related for a topical politics discussion, but in the end, I think it served a valuable purpose and exposed who the BNP are to a wide number of people. I sincerely doubt it convinced people who didn't vote for them before to vote for them. If it convinced one person who voted BNP before, to change, then a positive outcome can be measured. I think giving them the platform to debate politics was the best thing to do because quite simply, they just don't have any. Just gratuitous amounts of HATRED.

Edited by Nicktendo

I also feel the need to make out with another guy in-front of him now, after his "It's creepy" comment.

The problem with someone like Nick Griffin is he has his prejudices and his half-soaked justifications for them and thus if someone did something like that it would, in his mind, only further his point that homosexuals are militantly trying to convert/piss off everyone.