NEurope
Nicktendo

Nick Griffin to appear on Question Time - 22nd October 2009

Japan?

The only "armed" forces is the voluntary self-defense forces and the members are considered as civil-servants.

One of their policies is to NOT grow into a major military power.

I´m not saying this as a bad, it´s great that a major nationhas a policy like that.

Also, those nations in green look like a bunch of pretty cool guys.

Japan's navy is twice as big as the Royal Navy. They have the 2nd most powerful navy in the world after the US. They have also started to build up their amphibious assault capability, despite what their constitution says.

Self defence ships to not look like this:

HyugaClassTopView2.jpg

They are building three of them and they are officially called destroyers, but are obviously helicopter assault carriers.

Their air force isn't bad either.. They have F-15s, F-16s/F-2s and want to buy the F-22 if the Americans will let them, which beats the socks off any other fighter out there. If they can't get it, they'll probably be going for the Eurofighter or F-35.

Russia? Germany?

Germany's force projection is really poor.. They have a big army, but it can't go anywhere, unless they have plans to invade France again.

Russia's military is a joke and the welfare of their conscripts is even worse:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/13/russian-soldiers-sold-for-sex/

According to The Associated Press, a member of the group in St. Petersburg, Lyubov Yezheleva, learned about allegations of sexual abuse from a 20-year-old conscript:

“He said he was forced into male prostitution by fellow soldiers who beat him and demanded that he earn money for them,” Yezheleva said. She said the conscript was serving with the interior troops unit No. 3727, in the center of St. Petersburg near the renowned Hermitage art museum.

She refused to name him out of fear for his safety.

“Regrettably, it’s not the only case of soldiers being forced into male prostitution that we are aware of,” Yezheleva said. She said another soldier who served in St. Petersburg made a similar claim in 2005.

Soldiers’ Mothers head Valentina Melnikova said the claims were “not at all unusual.”

BBC News today notes that the case follows last year’s scandalous case of Andrei Sychev, an Army private whose torturous abuse highlighted a system of military bullying in Russia that had gone wildly out of control. From the BBC:

[Private] Sychev was forced to squat for several hours by fellow soldiers and then tied to a chair and brutally beaten up last year.

As a result he developed gangrene in his legs and genitals, which had to be amputated.

Now permanently disabled, Private Sychev has just announced that he is to write a book about his ordeal.

Such cases have highlighted the appalling conditions suffered by some Russian service personnel at a time when Russia is seeking a greater role on the world stage.

As The A.P. notes, “all Russian men between the ages of 18 and 27 are required by law to serve in the 1.2 million-member military, but only about 9 percent typically are drafted. The rest avoid the feared conscription by signing up for college, being excused for health reasons — often falsified — or by simply paying bribes.”

Edited by Pyxis
Automerged Doublepost

so we send our 'chavs' and 'dole scum' to the russian military, then?

Yeah just dont send them to our millitary we dont want them.

It is easy to complain about things, but it is a lot harder to think of workable solutions to society's problems without making a mess of it all.

I understand this. ANd i dont claim to have the answers. I just think that the torys have more of an idea than labour do.

You missed off China. A major force.

China are planning to go to a voulenteer force in the future.

Also, those nations in green look like a bunch of pretty cool guys.

Those nations either have there security garanteed by other countrys, ex colonial masters etc or have come to an agreement with the likes of the US. Or they have very very harsh police.

Those nations either have there security garanteed by other countrys, ex colonial masters etc or have come to an agreement with the likes of the US. Or they have very very harsh police.

I know that, my comment was meant as a joke because I live in Iceland and we have no army and there are no armed forces here.

I know that, my comment was meant as a joke because I live in Iceland and we have no army and there are no armed forces here.

Wasnt there a large US contingent until fairly recently though? I didnt realise you were from iceland otherwise i woudnt have said it lol.

"Randle: But if he wanted to call himself British that would be a problem?

Joey: He cannot say that he's ethnically British.

Randle: Why is the idea of races mixing such a bad thing?

Joey: If everybody integrated it would take away everybody's identity.

Mark: I would be upset if there were no more giant pandas, I'd be upset if there were no more lions, if there were no more tigers, so equally I'd be upset if white people weren't here any more.

Randle: But we're the same species, which makes it a bit different, doesn't it?

Mark: You could say that but if all of a sudden there weren't any sparrows and there were only crows, I'd still be sad there weren't any sparrows."

They are genuinally afraid that "the blacks will take over." It states in the third paragraph that Ashley Cole was born in East London, and now he represents English for the National Team. It shouldn't matter if he's black or white, because he's got as much right to play for the team or to live here and call himself British as anyone else.

Wow I am so glad I avoided this thread until now.

Why is it that every thread that Danny enters, no matter what the original content, instantly starts to be about the british army and how it is better than most of the other countries' army around the world? This thread was meant to be about Nick Griffin on question time!

They are genuinally afraid that "the blacks will take over." It states in the third paragraph that Ashley Cole was born in East London, and now he represents English for the National Team. It shouldn't matter if he's black or white, because he's got as much right to play for the team or to live here and call himself British as anyone else.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you seen him play recently?

"Randle: But if he wanted to call himself British that would be a problem?

Joey: He cannot say that he's ethnically British.

Randle: Why is the idea of races mixing such a bad thing?

Joey: If everybody integrated it would take away everybody's identity.

Mark: I would be upset if there were no more giant pandas, I'd be upset if there were no more lions, if there were no more tigers, so equally I'd be upset if white people weren't here any more.

Randle: But we're the same species, which makes it a bit different, doesn't it?

Mark: You could say that but if all of a sudden there weren't any sparrows and there were only crows, I'd still be sad there weren't any sparrows."

Reminds me of a clip we watched in a lecture last week where Hardeep Singh went around asking people what nationality they presumed he was (he is Scottish) and most said answers you would expect. He spoke to one woman who said this brilliantly quote;

"If a cat goes into a stable and gives birth that don't make them horses!"

Yes...

But umm yeah, down with the BNP.

The question is not whether you can call yourself ethnically British. The question is why the heck it should matter.

I don't think that's the question. 42 doesn't even make sense to that?

I don't think that's the question. 42 doesn't even make sense to that?

Sure it does. You seriously can't see it? I thought you were smarter than that, Moogle.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you seen him play recently?

Hehe, he had one dodgey game yesterday, but he's consistently a good performer for club and country. Probably one of the top five players in the World in his position, in my opinion.

See Griffin's been comparing the top generals in the British army to Nazis at the Nuremburg trials because of their illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and yet still uses loads of UK military imagery on all their propaganda and claim to have the support of people in the armed forces.

mental to see all the protests going off....at the end of the day pillock or not he still has the right to speak lets hope he just gets constantly pwned on the show...as a regular viewer of question time its gonna make for different viewing tonight.

At what time is this going to be on?

Think its 10:35. But unlike normal episodes its getting filmed in advance in case there are any disturbances in the audience.

Think its 10:35. But unlike normal episodes its getting filmed in advance in case there are any disturbances in the audience.

Thats a bit cowardly...to be honest if stuff does kick off I'd prefer to see it than see a watered down censored version. Why change the usual live format?

Thats a bit cowardly...to be honest if stuff does kick off I'd prefer to see it than see a watered down censored version. Why change the usual live format?

Don't forget they have a strict time slot to adhere to, better to have an edited programme of actual questioning rather then most of the air time being taken over by tussles between protesters.

Don't forget they have a strict time slot to adhere to, better to have an edited programme of actual questioning rather then most of the air time being taken over by tussles between protesters.

But if thats what happens then its indicative of the way people view him then so be it...

I don't get these protests about him appearing on Question Time. They want the BNP censored? A political party that represent the views a certain percentage of the British population? Isn't that a lot like telling people what they can and cannot think rather than letting them make their minds up for themselves? Nick Griffin appearing on the show isn't significant. A politician appearing on a political program is not significant. The significant entity is that such a large number of people are so outraged by him that they are willing to throw down the whole concept of freedom of speech and use it as a doormat. Do we really want a society where we can no longer voice our thoughts for fear of someone else taking offence?

The protesters sicken me more than the BNP (though I can't say that I agree with their view for the future of Britain either).

"I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." - Voltaire

But if thats what happens then its indicative of the way people view him then so be it...

Yes, it would be. So we'd get a half hour show of people slagging him off, rather than allowing him to speak and getting some idea of actual credible policy out of him. I know I'd rather have a decent political debate on all issues rather than half an hour of people screaming "RAAAAAAACIST!!!!!!!" at him. Question Time is bad enough on a normal week, doing a live show this week would make it about as politically and intellectually relevant as "Big Brother" (though I guess it would then be representative of the people in the audience, i'm expecting twice the number of fuckwits this week :().

Edited by McPhee

Will it be on iPlayer? I got work tonight, but with all the media hype surrounding the show, I want to see Griffin get owned.