NEurope
Dyson

Charlie Brooker sets his sights on gaming..

i enjoyed, more then anything bacuse its made me think back to when i started playing games, how gaming has changed and how i've changed as well.

felt like he went on about the new wolfensiten game for a bit to long.

Just watched it over at youtube.

A fun watch and I would like to see more of this.

The bit with the Madworld song was by far my favorite.

Christ his section was boring... What was he on about again?

I'm a fan of some/most of Linehan's work, but even I can't remember what he was talking about. :hmm:

Dara O'Briain's section was funny. Plus his point about Rock Band was perfectly delivered, although I quite liked the songs that were there before you unlocked Sabotage.

Random quote from the show that isn't actually funny when not used in context: "We all live in a Yellow RedBlueGreen..."

From Charlie Brooker's Twitter: "Caring about ratings is a terrible illness BUT Gameswipe easily outdid both Screen & News Wipe in terms of 'numbers' last night."

The actual number of viewers (according to ratings) was 361,000 on BBC 4. :o

Now on Youtube.

Pretty funny.

I particularly liked the 'nazi backstory' bit.

The Irish guy talking about narrative was good I thought. He wasn't quite as eloquently in love with games as the Consolevania guys but he makes a good point: Devs clearly don't read books, ever. It's a massive weakness of the industry and one I can't see changing.

He didn't cover some of my favourites, either. I know it's a ridiculous request given the number of titles but I'd have liked to have seen him touch on Super Metroid (an 'early' benchmark in design most modern games can't even dream of coming close to) and Rez etc.

And too much time on Wolfenstein. Looks wank anyway.

My favourite part of all the show was his review on 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand. Made me laugh so much.

So I just watched all of that and I'm left with a few questions.

1. Who the fuck is Charlie Brooker?

2. What was so 'new' about this programme?

3. What has made this gain a lot of interest? (If the facebook hero's are talking about it.. somethings going down).

Sarcastic Englishman talking about games... great? No, not really.

Edited by Ramar

3. What has made this gain a lot of interest? (If the facebook hero's are talking about it.. somethings going down).

Sarcastic Englishman talking about games... great? No, not really.

1. Charlie Brooker is a comment writer and TV critic for The Guardian and TV presenter of various tv shows. He is also a former Games Journalist

2. It's...new?

3. Brooker is very popular. And his previous 'wipe' shows have been excellent.

1. Charlie Brooker is a bit of a cult hero, his programs screenwipe and newswipe are both ammusing, and informative, usualy making some form of commentery on the media and the people it effects. he also did a fairly ammusing celebrity gameshow, you have been watching.

2. The program hadn't been screened before, hence it was new. It is also considered new as it was not screenwipe nor newswipe, his previous programs.

3. the large interest was due to the fact he has a decent fan base, and of course, because it was on the subject of games, a subject that rarely gets a fair hearing on televison.

hope that helps :)

Well I'm moderately aware of Charlie Brooker but never watched anything with him on in the past and tbh found it a really good watch it dragged at times but I did actually laugh at quite a few bits. He had a lot of insight into games that is perhaps not shown on TV. However his over reliance on looking at violence does leave that taste thats its something the industry will struggle to shrug off...

It also raises the question does the gaming industry as an entertainment medium need to rely on the tv networks of the world to give it coverage in order to push itself forward? The power of the internet is far more important.

The best thing you could do in order to appreciate it is to watch every episode of Screenwipe back to back. After seeing a couple of episodes on Yube I just spent a week watching every prog he has done up to the latest Newswipe series.

Chances are if you don't like 1 series then you probably won't like the rest, which is fair enough.

I thought that was abit awesome. Lots of covering of basic videogame background but ya know.

Also, best bit of screenwipe, ever,

I love that clip, especially when he says "I see" and "Are you?"

One thing I don't really get is how proving one is hard will open a lot of doors for the "hard" midget.

Just watched this and thought it was great, definitely the kind of games show I could watch more often. Someone really should commission a full series of something similar.