NEurope
Goafer

The big filesharing debate

I dont thin you are missing anything. I think there argument is that they are selling a product and that means it can be sold on again. Although he want saying it was illegal just that the artist didnt get a cut. But they have already had there cut from the cd.

Taking that logic into downloading, surely the original track (if traced back) has already earned profit for the artist? Either by the first person who uploaded it originally buying the CD or paying to download it?

Actually selling a second hand physical album is worse as you are making money out of the artists hard work and selling it as your own to make profit!! :heh:

At least with downloading music illegally people are sharing the love. : peace:

Downloading digital songs is just the same as passing on a physical album except it happens at a much faster rate due to the wonders of the internet.

The same physical album could be sold on or passed on countless times too.

When does it become illegal? They just need to make things a bit clearer.

But alas, for me as I mentioned before I don't download music as I like having the physical album in front of me... some sort of weird OCDness. In answer to Flinky's question I only buy my CD's from Play.com as they usually offer the cheapest deals with free P&P. Standard albums I pay anything from £3.99 - £9.99. But if there are specials going on like CD & DVD sets or limited editions going down I'll pay the extra few quid for them.

My CD collection is pretty big. I have them all in this bookcase thingy which holds 10 in a slot and a quick maths equation of my albums only = that I have 341 albums which is still growing (Noah and the Whale CD & DVD set just been dispatched from Play :) )

Actually selling a second hand physical album is worse as you are making money out of the artists hard work and selling it as your own to make profit!! :heh:

Depends if you sold it for more than you bought it for.

Taking that logic into downloading, surely the original track (if traced back) has already earned profit for the artist? Either by the first person who uploaded it originally buying the CD or paying to download it?

Yes but you are copying a file when you torrent it. When you buy a second hand CD you are buying the original the previous owner no longer owns it. Unless he has a copy which is then illegal.

It seems like a pritty weak and not thought out argument you have got here.

Yes but you are copying a file when you torrent it. When you buy a second hand CD you are buying the original the previous owner no longer owns it. Unless he has a copy which is then illegal.

What if I send my digital version to one person, then delete it?

Surely he/she now technically has the original copy. I no longer have it but they do.. is that still illegal?

What if I send my digital version to one person, then delete it?

Surely he/she now technically has the original copy. I no longer have it but they do.. is that still illegal?

At the one time, that one moment, you both had a copy each. So, it doesn't really matter if you delete it. :heh:

What if I listed to a CD in a friends car, then the song gets stuck in my head? The friend will still have his copy and I'll have a copy in my head.

There was some new web service that was set up to allow people to sell their digital music. But it was so wrapped up in legality I don't know if it survived.

What if I listed to a CD in a friends car, then the song gets stuck in my head? The friend will still have his copy and I'll have a copy in my head.

Hahahahahahaha.

Unless your head comes complete with a built-in CD Writer, I think you'll be fine. ;)

Booo to you Flinky ;)

I haven't really got an argument to be honest. Just giving my two pence worth on both sides of the debate.

If you read my post it's all quite light hearted hence the smileys being used.

Edited by Platty

Can I buy it next payday? 28th october! I will be richer then :)

Sure nps :) I'll keep it safe 'till then.

For once I agree with Danny. Selling an album on is NOT the same as giving someone a copy while keeping a copy yourself. When selling an album you originally bought legally, you're passing on ownership of that item. It's like selling a car or something. No problems. But when you copy it, you suddenly both have a copy of the item, and one of the copies hasn't brought in profit for the musician - and that's illegal.

For once I agree with Danny. Selling an album on is NOT the same as giving someone a copy while keeping a copy yourself. When selling an album you originally bought legally, you're passing on ownership of that item. It's like selling a car or something. No problems. But when you copy it, you suddenly both have a copy of the item, and one of the copies hasn't brought in profit for the musician - and that's illegal.

You're assuming the first owner of the album hasn't ripped it to their computer.

If someone took a drawing of mine and reproduced it without making any money out of it, I would be greatful people were enjoying it.

Its sad in a way that artists arent always getting the financial support they deserve but that never stopped Van Gogh, etc. If people are just enjoying the music that can act a crutch to te artist.

Yeah but when it's your job it's totally different. What about a band who get a major deal, have their album leaked and, because of poor sales (everyone just downloads it) they get dropped by the label?

There's no justification for piracy. You're ripping people off plain and simple.

Yeah but when it's your job it's totally different. What about a band who get a major deal, have their album leaked and, because of poor sales (everyone just downloads it) they get dropped by the label?

There's no justification for piracy. You're ripping people off plain and simple.

Get rid of the labels? Assume that musicians won't/can't make a massive fortune from now on from a few songs?

Have your views on this changed recently? Just, from what I read in the comics thread, you seem pro piracy.

Or is it one of those things where you think you're doing wrong, but you do it anyway (do we all have something like that? I know I do).

I'm working on it :heh:

I think my views are changing. I admit to downloading a few things but, particularly with music, I'm moving in to doing it entirely legally.

with comics it's a little different. single issues are, particularly from Marvel, very expensive. It costs £3.30 for just one issue these days. I do make amends though- I pirated vast numbers of The Walking Dead and Invincible but, since I caught up with the release schedule, I buy both monthly (at the cheaper price set by Image). Similarly, I intend to replace the pirated copies of the latest Iron Man series with a hardback copy as soon as it's out because I enjoyed it so much.

so in summary I'm a dirty hypocrite, but at least I acknowledge it...

My own views are so mixed up I really don't know where I stand.

I feel like zero guilt downloading TV eps.

I don't download music, but I'd happily accept a mixtape from someone, or create one for them. I think music is way too expensive. It should be a couple of quid to download an album at a decent bitrate with no DRM, no more than that. Morally there is no difference to me over buying a second hand album from ebay or downloading it. The artist gets nothing either way, but something in me would still rather go the ebay route because it 'feels' more honest.

I don't download movies, but why are they so different to TV eps? Piracy ads on dvds I buy make me want to pirate stuff though, just because they make me watch the ads after I pay the money. (On the Charlie Wilson's War DVD I have you have to sit through a 3 minute AIDs in Africa advert everytime you turn on the dvd, no skipping, no fast forwarding)

As I said, the logic in me doesn't really know what it is doing. I'm a mixed bag of contradictory ethics.

tldr; everything is too expensive so I'll pirate some things, but not everything, and I don't know why. I'm just a media pawn.

I'm also a little confused when it comes to piracy. I know it's wrong, and I do feel bad. But I don't seem to care downloading TV shows, especially when they're not shown in the UK. I also get really pissy when I buy something and I can't easily transfer it to my PC, like with movies. And having to sit through bullshit warnings telling me I'm a thief when I've bought something, warning that if I do anything dodgy I'll get sued. I don't have to sit through that when I download a movie, so that makes me feel better. Also, movies are indeed way too expensive; when I see a movie that has made double that it cost to produce and is still being sold for fifteen quid or whatever it's ridiculous.

TV Shows you get over so easily, cause they're "free" or feel like it if they come on TV anyway.

You're assuming the first owner of the album hasn't ripped it to their computer.

Yes, of course. When he sells the album, he sells the right to own it, meaning it's illegal for him to keep a copy of the music.