NEurope
Goafer

The big filesharing debate

Invade Iran? Youve lost me

Really, that surprises me.

I still earn enough money to be able to buy CDs should i wish to. Which is more than you can by the sounds of it.

Thanks for reminding me.... :/

Going on the above comments and what you said to Dannyboy, the "awww" comment. I'm coming to the conclusion that you are not a very nice person and because of that, the fact that illegal downloads piss you off amuses me no end.

Edited by Nicktendo

Are you sure? I always thaught under the data protection act you were legaly allowed to make one copy of any media you purchased. As long as it was as a back up or a working copy. And that you didnt distrabute or edit the data.

A backup would be something like an ISO or extra copy. As you said, you can't edit the data (as ripping it into a different format would do).

Really, that surprises me.

I still earn enough money to be able to buy CDs should i wish to. Which is more than you can by the sounds of it.

Thanks for reminding me.... :/

Going on the above comments and what you said to Dannyboy, the "awww" comment. I'm coming to the conclusion that you are not a very nice person and because of that, the fact that illegal downloads pisses you off amuses me no end.

I woudnt say it pisses me off. The fact that people try to justify it slightly annoys me. It dosent piss me off though.

So the iran thing what the hell are you talking about?

It's just as illegal as recording it off the radio and onto a cassette.

I've considered that point a few times, I know I use to make mix tapes off the radio back in the early/mid 90s. Did anyone ever go to court and get fined thousands/millions for that?

A backup would be something like an ISO or extra copy. As you said, you can't edit the data (as ripping it into a different format would do).

Yeah never thought of it like that turning it to an MP3 woudl change it. Not sure what an ISO is? To me ISO is a shipping container im guessing thats not where you keep back up copys though unles you have a really large collection.

I've considered that point a few times, I know I use to make mix tapes off the radio back in the early/mid 90s. Did anyone ever go to court and get fined thousands/millions for that?

Colin got sacked for it on the britass empire or what ever it was called lol.

I don't know, probably not. I don't think the music industry cared back then. Plus they couldn't really trace the data like they (sometimes) can now.

Edit: An ISO file is essentially a digital image of a CD/DVD.

I always thaught under the data protection act you were legaly allowed to make one copy of any media you purchased.

The data protection act has nothing to do with piracy. It's about protecting someone's personal information if a company stores it on their database/in their files.

No, but people wore those shirts with "Home taping is killing the music industry" or something. I imagine the pirates were shitting their pants at that one.

Well when I become 18 and find work and don't have to rely on my mam for money. I'll think about paying...

No, but people wore those shirts with "Home taping is killing the music industry" or something. I imagine the pirates were shitting their pants at that one.

The same way home taping has killed the movie and tv industries.

Are you sure? I always thaught under the data protection act you were legaly allowed to make one copy of any media you purchased. As long as it was as a back up or a working copy. And that you didnt distrabute or edit the data.

Nope. It's theft by your definition.

You are supposed to buy a legal digital copy as well as the CD.

"Alarm bells are ringing Willie..."

To be fair, gigs are so worth it.

Especially when the band/artist in question is great.

How much do you guys spend on CDs anyway? I'm not talking about your total collection, but just purchasing the one CD. I remember I was out shopping in HMV for some albums quite a few years back, and was horrified to see price-stickers of £14.99 or around that mark. To me, I think albums should be half that.

I love buying albums when there's a deal on in a store. Like, 3 for 2 or something, or seeing some CDs going for under a fiver. I think that's where I buy most albums nowadays. I don't have the motivation to buy too many albums at the moment, but when I pick up one, it's usually when I spot something I want.

How much do you guys spend on CDs anyway? I'm not talking about your total collection, but just purchasing the one CD. I remember I was out shopping in HMV for some albums quite a few years back, and was horrified to see price-stickers of £14.99 or around that mark. To me, I think albums should be half that.

I love buying albums when there's a deal on in a store. Like, 3 for 2 or something, or seeing some CDs going for under a fiver. I think that's where I buy most albums nowadays. I don't have the motivation to buy too many albums at the moment, but when I pick up one, it's usually when I spot something I want.

I tend to buy CDs off play.com because they are typically under a tenner brand new. Which is what I'm most comfortable paying. I don't mind paying about £1 when its a physical object. More obscure or imported CDs I'm willing to pay more. But I almost shit myself when I was in Florida and CDs were like $19.99, there were the odd cheap CD for $10.99 or $13.99, but the majority were pretty steep. Not bad with the conversion to the pound, but if you lived there twenty notes for a CD is pretty expensive.

Hang on, buying a second hand CD isn't illegal, is it? The ownership of the paid product is simply transferred, hence it's just as legal as me buying a second hand car, right? Or am I missing something?

What I was saying/implying is that an artist gets nothing from ebay/second hand sales of their material, so why not just pirate it and spend your money elsewhere? Either way the artist gets nothing.

I tend to buy CDs off play.com because they are typically under a tenner brand new. Which is what I'm most comfortable paying. I don't mind paying about £1 when its a physical object. More obscure or imported CDs I'm willing to pay more. But I almost shit myself when I was in Florida and CDs were like $19.99, there were the odd cheap CD for $10.99 or $13.99, but the majority were pretty steep. Not bad with the conversion to the pound, but if you lived there twenty notes for a CD is pretty expensive.

I'd agree with that, I wouldn't mind paying more for imported or rarer stuff. There's a wow factor with that. But God, it's a bit crap with some of the prices for CDs. I've only ever bought two things off play.com - Killer 7 and Oasis: Familiar to Millions on DVD. Both were good, price wise. I may have to look into getting CDs from there.

Just did a quick search, and the prices are not too bad at all. Just noticed that you have the option to download the albums, which shows you just how long I haven't been to that site, haha. I suck. But, why are a lot of the download prices higher than purchasing the CD? Just noticed that Foo Fighters - There is nothing left to lose is £6.99 with free delivery, yet is £7.25 when you download it. Is there a reason for that?

Ahoy thar, maties!

You can sit atop your moral high-ground all you like, but I'm in the skies, partying with the clouds, laughing at the shackles on your wings that adhere to the gravity of it all.

Fuck profit, man. for £5.73 I sell myself for an hour, and during that hour I earn my company nigh-hundreds of pounds. My soul is owed. Owed!

I have to agree, considering the pound is good against the dollar, I've been to the US loads of times, and I love music, I've bought like..3 albums there total. Mainly cause i'm hesitant to spend £12 on an album in shops here, let alone overseas where it should be cheaper.

I did spend $16 on a really hard to find album there though. I searched all the record stores in Tampa, before finding it in the Virgin Megastore in Disney. But that was an exception.

---

I'd rarely buy albums brand new for £12+. If I really want it, I will. Like an artist I love's new album or something. But often I'll look for the cheapest price I can, sometimes getting it digitally because of a marked price difference between formats. (Even though I prefer the physical object)

I buy CD's from anywhere and everywhere! some I get for sometimes literally pennies on eBay, others I've acquired by importing and the rest are generally from Play.com - mostly when sales are on - or from indie music stores whenever I happen to be near one. :)

Edited by S.C.G

I usually seem to get my CDs from http://www.cdwow.com these days. They often do stuff like taking off £1 or sending my vouchers for one quid off heh. The prices usually seem to be around £7-£8 for the albums I buy I think, with free delivery. So pretty good price I think. =)

And I prefer to buy things legally and help the artists earn some money (no matter how small it is), as I know that one day my income might depend on how many of my books or whatever are being sold. I think it's only fair people get paid for their work; you're enjoying their music/work, which they spend hours on to make, so why shouldn't they receive some compensation for that?

Ooh - did you ever get that Legion of Doom CD?

I sure did :) and it's still yours if you want to reimburse me for it - I wouldn't have known that the CD even existed if it weren't for your recommendation afterall - cost around £20 to import from Aus in the end, which still isn't bad as it was most definitely worth it. :D