NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil 5: Alternative/Gold Edition

I agree. Very dull and poor game. Does't live up to its legacy, it's a disgrace on RE4.

Agree 100%. It had to be the most boring resi I've ever played, I cringe everytime I remind myself that I still need to complete it.

Did you guys play it solo or co-op? I don't think I ever once ran through it solo but it was a solid fun co-op game.

Resident Evil 5 rocks when played co-op online. I was playing last night with Cookyman, both with mics just chatting and shooting Zombies in the face. Fantastic.

Oh, and there's a rumour that the 360 version is getting some DLC, something about extra missions during the Chris/Jill flashbacks.

Did you guys play it solo or co-op? I don't think I ever once ran through it solo but it was a solid fun co-op game.

I played online co-op on Veteran 1st time through, and solo on all other difficulties for achievements. The game is just very uninspired, I've gone into it in its other topic. Level design is virtually non-existent. And it has probably the worst boss fight ever, the one against Jill.

Yeah that was pretty lame, unless you just shoot her dead on in the jewel with the magnum a couple of times.

Yeah that was pretty lame, unless you just shoot her dead on in the jewel with the magnum a couple of times.

I know, but we can miss and kill Jill, so I find it better to just give stupid Sheva a magnum and she will always hit it. :) It's still one of the worst boss fight ever, though.

New information:

Jun Takeuchi:

- The extra element was planned from the beginning of the game production

- The size is too big to be a DLC

- Co-op

- Jun Takeuchi’s 1st gameplay was about 1 hr 40 minutes.

- New game mode is scheduled

- For 360 it will be prepared in a different form

- Save data and trophy data will carry over.

IGN - All About Resident Evil 5 Alternative

Resident Evil 5 is getting motion controls for a PlayStation 3 retail release titled "Resident Evil 5 Alternative Edition." Capcom and Sony announced this at the Tokyo Game Show but unfortunately failed to share all the details. Today, thanks to Famitsu, we have a closer look.

RE5 Alternative Edition combines the original RE5 with motion controls and a new gameplay episode. It also includes all the download content that has been released until now.

The motion controls are handled through Sony's new motion controller, which is currently unnamed. During Sony's TGS briefing, staff members controlled movement with the Dual Shock and aiming with the motion controller. It's also possible to play just with the Dual Shock.

In addition to using the motion controller for aiming, you'll use it to swing your knife and perform other such actions. Famitsu also says to expect additional new combat elements that one might expect from a motion controller.

The new episode pairs RE5 hero Chris Redfield with classic RE series character Jill Valentine for a scenario that's set three years prior to the events of 5.

A trailer shown at the Tokyo Game Show left some believing that the mansion that serves as the setting for the new episode was the mansion from the original Resident Evil. It's actually different from that. The mansion you'll be playing through appeared in a flashback scene in RE5.

Producer Jun Takeuchi shared a few additional details on the new episode with Famitsu. The episode was originally planned as part of the main RE5 release. However, during development it was decided that it didn't quite fit in with the flow of the rest of the game.

Because the development team believed fans would love a chance to play as Jill, they considered offering the episode as download content. However, it ended up being too large to be offered as a download, leading to the retail release.

The new episode will not actually be a part of the main game. Players will have to select it as a separate mode from the game's title screen.

You can expect a two hour play experience from the new episode. In terms of content, Takeuchi said the taste is more horror than the rest of RE5.

Aside from the motion controls, the new episode offers a similar play experience to the rest of RE5, with Jill taking over for Sheva. The game can be played cooperatively online and offline.

Cooperative play is actually compatible with the original, so owners of RE5 Alternative Edition can engage in multiplayer play with owners of the original. Takeuchi would not rule out being able to play the new episode between the two versions. Despite what Takeuchi said about download sizes, this seems to suggest download content for current RE5 owners. Or perhaps Capcom will stage some sort of trade in program?

For those who upgrade to the new version, Takeuchi confirmed that save data and trophy data will carry over.

Takeuchi also confirmed something that he said during a stage event at TGS. Xbox 360 owners can look forward to the content in a different form. He said to expect details in a future update.

Edited by Dante

Ive just watched the trailer over at GT and the ending made me lol. It certainly looks more like a Resident Evil game now.

Resident Evil 5 rocks when played co-op online.

Perfect Dark Zero rocks when played co-op online. It doesn't mean that it's a good game.

The extra element was planned from the beginning of the game production

Translated: "We didn't finish the game in time for release, but shoved it out anyway. Now that all the fans have bought it we'll actually finish the game and sell it to the suckers that already have the unfinished one."

Is this just Resi 1 redone again ?

From the looks of it yes.

Well done Capcom, since Shinji Mikami has left, you have proven to me just how shitty you can make a once fantastic series, into something I will never bother picking up again.

RE1 remake with RE5 style of co-op, thanks capcom, you truly understand what the meaning 'survival horror' means :nono:

*walks in*

*looks at the scans*

*sigh*

*walks out*

At least it means zombies will finally be back in the series and not the retarded crap that's been in the last two games.

At least it means zombies will finally be back in the series and not the retarded crap that's been in the last two games.

Yeah but... am I missing the point here because I thought this was essentially still Resi 5 just with an extra chapter tacked on at the beginning? so after that chapter it'll still be the same 'retarded crap' thereafter ne?

There's got to be a way Capcom could release this as DLC, some game content is GB's worth of data ffs! That statement is blatantly just a poor excuse to make more money. It's a shame they'll probably never release this as dlc, even if it's just a cheap copy of the mansion in RE1...

I can't believe they missed teh chance to call the game RE5i. Call it "Ironic Edition" or something.

Anyway; I still can't believe motion control is taking off so damn well. It bores me.

From the looks of it yes.

Well done Capcom, since Shinji Mikami has left, you have proven to me just how shitty you can make a once fantastic series, into something I will never bother picking up again.

RE1 remake with RE5 style of co-op, thanks capcom, you truly understand what the meaning 'survival horror' means :nono:

It has been done three times now;

Re/Make - Spencer Estate

CV/X - The mansion main foyer is the same, as well as one other room connected to it. It even features one of the puzzles that was in the Spencer Estate.

RE5 - Another Spencer Estate that is wrecked.

I haven't played any old Resident Evils. Number 5 was the first I seriously played and beat numerous times, apart from that I briefly played Code Veronica which I bought with a used Dreamcast. I'm not buying the motion controller to play with it though.

I thought this wasn't a resi 1 remake but an expansion of the story from the flash back in Resi 5? When they went back to try and snag a beefed up Wesker, before he threw Jill out the window?

I haven't played any old Resident Evils. Number 5 was the first I seriously played and beat numerous times, apart from that I briefly played Code Veronica which I bought with a used Dreamcast. I'm not buying the motion controller to play with it though.

If you're on this site, I reckon you own a Wii. And I believe "Thou shalt buy RE4" is one of the 10 Commandments Moses brought down from Mount Sinai. Obey.