NEurope
Marshmellow

University of Manchester

I'm currently doing a Access to higher education programme at college. I'll be 25 when/if I can get into Uni, (two years from now).

My general questions relate to finance and age.

I have done some research on these subjects, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Basicly I really want to go to university, but i'm thinking is it worth it, because of my age. It seems most people from here are going to uni at 18.

Me and my family are on a pretty low income, how are all the graduates coping with the debt?

I'm currently doing a Access to higher education programme at college. I'll be 25 when/if I can get into Uni, (two years from now).

I have done some research on these subjects, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Basicly I really want to go to university, but i'm thinking is it worth it, because of my age. It seems most people from here are going to uni at 18.

Me and my family are on a pretty low income, how are all the graduates coping with the debt?

aw don't be hard on yourself, you aren't over the hill just yet ;)

My colleague has just left work after doing an access course - shes starting uni next week! I'm pretty sure you'll find there are more "mature students" than you would think.

Good luck with your access course - I've heard that they are damn hard!

I have a friend who lives there and it's a great place. The city really feels big, he told me once, however once you get to know it and walk the streets you find out that everything is a lot closer than you think. The Town Hall is only a few minutes walk to one of the best Chinese bakeries in the city.

As for the Uni, his brother goes to Man Met but I think he told me they are pretty close to each other. It's not that far a walk to the centre of Manchester either.

I went there for a weekend and personally found the city centre itself tiny.

@Marshmellow - what are you studying?

As UK Uni's go, the best of the best are Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews and Imperial Collage London. Outside of that, you're looking at (roughly North-South):

Edinburgh

Durham

York

Manchester

Liverpool

Leeds

Sheffield

Warwick

Lancaster

Leicester

Loughborough

Birmingham

Nottingham

UEA

Essex

UCL

King's Collage, London

LSE

Bath

Bristol

Surrey

Exeter

Southampton

Edited by The fish

Don't forget LSE and Loughborough, the best for economics/business and the best for sport respectively. Although Warwick is where it's at ;)

Don't forget LSE and Loughborough, the best for economics/business and the best for sport respectively. Although Warwick is where it's at ;)

I knew I'd left out Lobro (they annoy me as they say they're really good, and people buy it - they're not bad, but they're not as good as they would have you believe, especially for my subject). As for LSE, *deskhead*.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's probably where I'm going to go next year, so long as I like the look of the town when I go up for the Open Day. But it's no "big city" is all I'm saying :p

As long as you like Golf and sewing you'll love it.

It is a nice place, plenty of things to see.

Fish I'd add Glasgow Uni to that last too, afaik basically anything that Edinburgh is weaker at, Glasgow is stronger at. Edinburgh is weighted more towards business and law and such, Glasgow more towards the sciences.

Hey. :)

I went to the UoM and did a degree in Cell Biology, and I'm going back in less than 2 weeks now to do a masters.

You definitely don't need a car. There's a huge number of buses every minute that all take you past the university, including some that are free to ride for students of the university.

The entry requirements depend on the course. You're best off looking at the UCAS website for the requirements of a course you want to do, and check if you think that's realistic of what you can achieve.

Manchester is great. It has much more going on than most cities and it's big. But not as big as London, which in my opinion is a good thing. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who went to my university and didn't like the area or university. When you register to the uni try and get the payment done beforehand via the online system (you'll get a welcome pack that let's you do this), meaning you get to avoid a huge several-hour queue at Whitworth hall.

All in all, Manchester is a great place and right up there, particularly for life sciences. Go for it!

nice =] maybe i'll see ya around next year then! good thing about a car... I was kinda hoping a car would not be necessary. What about housing? what would you recommend?

Depends what you're planning on studying. If you tell me I might know someone in the same subject area. To be honest, as long as you get good grades in your senior year you should get accepted...

I hate to sound cynical and I'm sure someone will sound me down but as you're an overseas student, the uni will get quite a bit more money from you than they would from a UK student. As universities are businesses first really then it makes sense that you would get in... You'd still need the grades though obviously...

You been on the ucas website? www.ucas.ac.uk That's where all british students go to apply to any uk uni. Not sure if the same applies for overseas students but I bet it does.

I've been thinking about studying Computer Science/Engineering.

More then likely if I chose Manchester/got in I would sign up for this course.

Manchester Uni is alright yeah, Manc Met not so much, Manchester is a good night out too.

Font bar, £2 cocktails all day everyday. Amazing.

Definitely the halls, as this is where you'll meet people. Not that I went in halls. But yeah, halls. :p

Fish: What about SOAS? Also, I think St. Andrews only ranks like that for some subjects, and you're similarly doing places like Warwick down (e.g. for Maths).

Your age won't matter, there's several people in my games groups that are over 25 to 40, they tend to get on well with everybody else and age never really comes into it. If your low income you'll hopefully get the maximum support, you can also ask for grants and whatnot too.

I'd personally research it, then see, rather than dismissing it straight off.

Halls is really helpful for anybody, whatever age, it helps you form friendship you wouldn't otherwise make and more friends than just your classmates, plus you find out whos good to live with and who isn't.

Its interesting how that list of the best unis, only southampton and manchester had games design at the time I applied, I was warned off against southampton because its not such a nice place to live, but I never really got to check it for myself.

Imperial Collage London.

I want to go to a uni focusing on making collages!

Oh wait...isn't that what they do in a teaching degree?

And I turned Warwick down. Yeah im cool! :p

Fish: What about SOAS? Also, I think St. Andrews only ranks like that for some subjects, and you're similarly doing places like Warwick down (e.g. for Maths).

SOAS has a rather bipolar vibe (to me). Can be nice, can be nasty. While it is very political active and that's nice for it I've heard many complaints from exchange students saying they felt uncomfortable there (plus I get the feeling most of them that are so damn politically active will graduate, get a nice job and forget about their 'activist' days but thats just cynical ol' me). Best to ask is Daft really and to a lesser degree Haden.

Yeah, Maths at Warwick is harder to get into than Maths at Oxford.

I FUCKING LOVE UNI OF MANCHESTER!!

Did a Biology degree, I wanna go back and do my PhD there too. The city is amazing, the university is world class in terms of science, it has really great facillities, and it just feels really good. I really cannot praise the uni enough! <3 <3 <3 *gushes some more, starts babbling, drools etc*

Manchester Uni is alright yeah, Manc Met not so much, Manchester is a good night out too.

Font bar, £2 cocktails all day everyday. Amazing.

QFT! Also, they play amazing music AND there's a Font bar in Fallowfield as well :D