12. Colecovision

11. Xbox

10. Nintendo Wii

9. Nintendo 64

8. Dreamcast

7. PlayStation

6. Xbox 360

5. Sega MegaDrive

The MegaDrive was known for having classics in nearly every genre with support from Electronic Arts giving it the edge in the sports category (go NHL ’94!), the bloodier Mortal Kombat, and what some consider to be the greatest controller ever created: the six button.

It isn't difficult to prove why the software lineup was so successful considering the recent release and success of Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection. Just tick down the list and you'll find a bundle of absolutely brilliant games. The Phantasy Star and Shining Force series combined to offer role playing options that were equal to, if not better than anything available from the competition and titles like Ecco the Dolphin and Comix Zone offered dashes of edgy action that were highly original at the time.

There were brief moments when the SEGA Genesis overtook Nintendo in terms of market share and at the time they were the only two players in town. This meant for a time, the Genesis was the most popular game console in the world and for a good reason.

Our Fondest Memories

"In college, my then-girlfriend bought me what stands as one of the best presents I have ever gotten: a Sega Genesis. NHL was my favorite game on the system, and I played '96 so much that I actually took every single team in the NHL through a season and won the Stanley Cup each time."

– Chris Carle, Entertainment Editorial Director, IGN.com

"I remember renting Phantasy Star IV and getting up extremely early on a Saturday morning to attempt to beat the game before having to bring it back to the rental store. When I advanced to the part of the game where you blast off and unlock the solar system my mind was blown. I was both dismayed that I'd never complete the game in time and astounded that a cartridge could contain such a large adventure."

—David Clayman, Editor-in-Chief, IGN Shared Content Team

Sonic the Hedgehog

The game that started it all. Sega's flagship series began with this title in 1991 and has continued to thrive, even to this day.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

One of the greatest side-scrolling Mario clones starring Mickey Mouse ever created.

Ecco the Dolphin

Move over Flipper, Ecco is here to stay. Who knew being a dolphin could be so fun?

Phantasy Star IV

The definitive Phantasy Star game, considered by fans to be the true conclusion of the series.

Golden Axe

Hack and slashing' in a Speedo, what more could you ask for in a video game hero?

4. Super Nintendo

The first true battle of the consoles began in 1991 with the US release of the Super Nintendo. Boasting 16-bit graphics and a superior soundcard than its competition (the audio system was entirely standalone), Nintendo pushed its art style and name branding against SEGA's "SEGA does what Nintendon't" campaign, but in the end it was what Nintendo did – or had, rather – that put the SNES higher on our chart. Despite "hardcore-minded" competition, Nintendo pushed a pedigree of original content, starting with the debut Super Mario World and carried on through titles like Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Mario Kart, and the dawn of the FX chip which brought the debut of Star Fox. Developer Rare continued to push the console in its later years with the help of Nintendo, introducing larger cart sizes with Donkey Kong Country, and a flood of third party support pushed the Super Nintendo to legendary status with games like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Gradius III, Contra III, Mega Man X, Secret of Mana, and many, many more. When it comes to a pure concentration of AAA titles, few consoles – if any – can stand up to the Super NES.

The sales showed it as well, with the first true console war ending in an important Nintendo victory on both the hardware and software front. The Super NES's library was the start, or continuation in some cases, of franchises that are still alive and well today both on a first party and third party front – proof of its legacy. The Super NES controller laid groundwork for the now-mainstream four-button face of both the PlayStation and Xbox controllers, and the experimental first steps into 3D gaming (both real and faked via the FX chip and Mode 7 technology respectively) laid the groundwork for the industry’s future.

Our Fondest Memories

"I lived in Japan when the SNES (Super Famicom) came out. Whenever I got together to play multiplayer games with my buddy, D.J., we'd completely overdo it. Remember how looking at your opponent's screen was a crucial tactic in playing Mario Kart? After what must've been a 20-hour Battle Mode marathon, I noticed that D.J.'s Yoshi kept on driving straight into a track barrier. The bastard had fallen asleep in the middle of the game, with his finger on the accelerator! Armed with a red shell, I positioned myself at the far end of the stage, lined up the shot, woke up D.J. and pointed his head at the screen to make him witness the glorious takedown. Yep, it's all about the little things in life."

– Peer Schneider, Senior Vice President, IGN.com

"The Super NES was probably my first system purchase bought on Day One on the system launch, and the first system where I knew I bet on the right horse. I spent more hours playing Pilotwings than Super Mario World, which might tell you where my tastes of gaming have been evolving. And then, Super Mario Kart landed on the system, and that could easily be called my favorite game of all time the way it always managed to end up in my rotation."

– Craig Harris, Executive Editor, IGN Nintendo Team

Super Metroid

Nintendo's exploration-based 2D adventure was propelled to new heights on Super NES, setting the groundwork for such greats as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Widely considered one of – if not the - best games of all time.

Donkey Kong Country

A perfect example of Nintendo's "2nd party" developers in action, Rare pushed the Super NES with games like DK Country. This 2D masterpiece was a true stunner.

Final Fantasy III

One of the best RPGs of all time was a Super Nintendo exclusive. Square's Final Fantasy III brought new gameplay mechanics, superior storytelling, and more to the platform.

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Trigger turned heads in 1995, and still amazes today. No Super NES conversation is complete without mention of this RPG classic.

3. Playstation 2

The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling videogame console ever with more than 130 million units sold by the end of 2008. That alone says a lot regarding its place in history and its reception amongst the general population. The PS2 was not only a major highlight in Sony's history (for both its games business and the company as a whole), but it also helped launch the DVD format into the VHS-killer that it became.

But company financials and movie formats aside, it's really the games and wide accessibility that made the PS2 what it was, and even now, nearly a decade after its release, it still is. The fact that the system is supported to this day and that we're still seeing games released for it on a weekly basis is a strong testament to its staying power.

Looking at the system's library (which is nearing 2,000 titles at the time of this writing), there are a number of games that were not only breakout releases, but have defined what we're playing today. Grand Theft Auto III and Guitar Hero are two that paved the way for some of this generation's most popular genres, and when you're talking about software as an art form, you needn't look any further than titles like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

It may be long in the tooth, but without the PlayStation 2, gaming today, and even home entertainment in general, may be a lot different were it not for Sony's über-popular console.

Our Fondest Memories

"The PS2 holds the honor of being my first major purchase on my own -- as in my parents didn't help me one bit. I worked all summer at Wal-Mart dreaming of Smugglers Run, Silent Scope, and the ability to finally play DVDs. I even started buying DVDs in June preparing for the October launch date. I waited nine hours in line at Meijer (I was No. 1, bitches) to get that blue box, and I loved every second of it."

– Greg Miller, Editor, IGN PlayStation Team

"Yeah, the PS2 is the system that helped land me a permanent job at IGN, but that's one of just many a fond memory of Sony's awesome console sequel. What really sticks out for me, though, was the huge buzz that the system had garnered in my neighborhood because it had Tekken Tag Tournament. Tekken Tag was THE game in our local arcades, and when a friend of mine convinced his girlfriend to buy him an import PS2 with Tekken Tag along with it, it was like having an extra Christmas. Our whole crew spent months learning techniques, brushing up on our skills and having an all around great time with our Tekken parties."

– Jeremy Dunham, Games Editorial Manager, IGN.com

Grand Theft Auto III

GTA3 is easily one of the most influential games ever released and has kicked off numerous open-world games since its introduction.

Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero brought music games into everyone's living room thanks to its simple but near-perfect guitar controller and classic songs.

Shadow of the Colossus

No studio matches the visual and artistic touch of Team ICO, and its second release is still unmatched in terms of artistic vision.

God of War

Sony Santa Monica's action tour-de-force was brutal, engaging, epic and, most importantly, incredibly fun. Few action games even approach its greatness.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Kojima Productions took the lessons learned from the first two MGS titles and gave us an experience that was previously unseen outside of movie theaters.

2. Atari 2600

This is it -- the console that our entire industry is built upon. Though it also nearly took videogames to the brink in the system’s latter years, the Atari 2600 was a certifiable phenomenon in its ascendancy as the herald of a new entertainment medium.

Shepherded to market in 1977 by visionary Nolan Bushnell, founder of Atari, and his head engineer Allan Alcorn, the Atari 2600 was the second home videogame console to use removable, programmable cartridges instead of being a dedicated machine like Atari's own Pong (The Fairchild F beat Atari to the punch by a year). The system was not an immediate success, though. It wasn't until 1979 when the videogame craze truly exploded did the 2600 begin its meteoric path. Atari was quick to license popular arcade games for the machine like Space Invaders, Missile Command, and Pac-Man, which also helped it become the dominant console in American living rooms. By 1982, the 2600 was a $2 billion business for Atari.

But the good times were not to last and the skyrocket trajectory of the Atari 2600 was partially to blame. With videogames white-hot, everybody wanted in. And Atari did not have any solid quality-control mechanisms in place. No game epitomizes this lack quite like E.T., a licensed title that was forced to market after a five-week development cycle. Atari took a bath on E.T. and consumers started to sour on the breath of subpar games clogging shelves. Thus began the great video game crash of 1983 which laid waste to the entire industry.

It is this incredible story, a console that is responsible for the incredible games we're playing now yet almost drove a stake through the heart of the industry.

Our Fondest Memories

"I begged Santa to get us an Atari for Christmas 1980, and my parents decided to give me my wish...but they planned it as the final present I opened by stuffing it as far behind the tree as possible. Unfortunately, I grabbed a present I probably shouldn't have, "Bowling" for the 2600...pretty much destroying any Christmastime strategy my folks planned out. I still feel guilty about that."

- Craig Harris, Executive Editor, IGN Nintendo Team

"The 2600 had a lot of fabulous games, and I remember playing River Raid so much that I had a callous between my thumb and index finger from the base of the not-too-ergonomic 2600 joystick rubbing on it. But I think the game we played the most was Maze Craze, which randomly generated a new maze every game and offered some great competitive multiplayer gameplay (for its time). That was perhaps the first "party game"—at least at our house."

– Andy Eddy, Editor-in-Chief, TeamXbox.com

Pac-Man

One of the most questionable ports in the history of games, Pac-Man still sold in the millions. But millions wanted to give it right back.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

E.T. is the stuff of legend -- a game so bad that it shook the industry and Atari had no choice but to bury the unwanted stock in the desert.

Space Invaders

Atari's home port of Space Invaders was close enough to the arcade blockbuster that millions of American households were floored enough to buy the console for it.

Pitfall!

Commonly credited as the genesis of the platformer genre, Pitfall! was one of the 2600's technical (and gameplay) marvels.

1. NES

Prior to 1985 in the US, Nintendo was a strong name in the arcade with Donkey Kong and it was cleaning up in the toy aisle with its Game & Watch handhelds. But the home console industry was buried under the figurative dust after the industry collapsed on itself, and "videogame" was considered a bad word. Nintendo set to change all that with the Nintendo Entertainment System.

The company was already seeing insane success with the Famicom in Japan with its release in 1983, and after two years, it was time to bring that success to a new territory. After a failed attempt to partner with Atari to bring the system to the US, the company decided to do the job itself. The Famicom hardware was given a sleeker, more Western-friendly appearance, and the NES was born. The initial release in 1985 was only a test in specific US markets, but it was shipped across the country after the Holiday season in 1986.

Nintendo instituted a strict licensing program to ensure that the industry crash – with its glut of games of questionable quality -- would not happen with the NES. No unlicensed games would be tolerated on the NES platform. All games would have to be approved by Nintendo and third parties could only create a certain number of games a year for the NES, while the same games could not be made for competing consoles for two years.

The strategy worked. Nintendo's quality first-party efforts as well as the incredibly powerful third-party support resurged and revived the home videogame industry. If Nintendo didn't step up to the plate, the industry as a whole may have turned out entirely different.

Our Fondest Memories

"I'll always credit the NES for getting me back into gaming – for good. As a kid, I was addicted to escaping from blocky cats on my brother's Fairchild Channel F, worked my way through various Atari machines to the C64... and suddenly fell out of love with gaming altogether. The NES brought it all back. As much as I tried, there was no escaping the power of Mario! The NES made me a gamer for life."

– Peer Schneider, Senior Vice President, IGN.com

"Despite the fact that I played the heck out of the NES, it was more than just a great videogame system to me. It was also the platform that grew my social and bargaining skills. Not only did my friends and family bond with me over sessions of Super Mario Bros. and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, but my friends in particular started haggling with me because of my obsession with getting new NES games. Baseball cards, comic books, and toys were commodities that I used weekly to talk my way into getting new games out of pals via trade all the time, and the feeling of accomplishment from those trades and the fun I had playing those titles afterward is still something that sticks with me to this day."

– Jeremy Dunham, Games Editorial Manager, IGN.com

The absolute classic platformer that every other designer strives to replicate.

Metroid

Though limited by 1986's technology, Samus Aran's first adventure is still one of the platform's most in-depth experiences.

The Legend of Zelda

Link rescues the princess for the very first time, and the gaming world has never been the same since.

Castlevania

Konami's vampire-slaying original is still a masterpiece to this day.

Mega Man 2

Capcom's robotic hero's second outing was a much more classic experience. And it had far more tasteful box art, too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Falcon
Clearly nostalgia proved more of a factor than objectivity in this list.

It's difficult to think of many of the NES's top games that didn't see superior sequels on the SNES, but you have to look at the era the console debuted in too.

I think it's more then just nostalgia that of the older generation got into the top over the rest. For me anyway.

Lately I have been playing old classic NES games, and I have been thinking to myself how...I am still having the same amount if not MORE fun then what I am having on games in this day and age. One thing I love about the NES was the fact that when you pressed start, it was right in. No long ass cutscene, no tutorial on where a and b button was. All that was put into the instruction manual, and also story would usually show when you don't touch anything and the main menu explained the story.

In the end what I am trying to say is that NES games felt like...Games. This generation, it just feels more and more like a movie or an interactive movie rather then...a game.

(In the end I am sure it was because of nostalgia for IGN, but to me I see it differently but eh)

This list didn't have to be made, simply. They changed their criteria for it as they went and ended up with a confusing arrangement. Let's face it, any order could have been decided on and people would've got pissed off needlessly.

And Cube, what's so stressful about the PS2 coming above your namesake (if that's the right way to put it)? The PS2 was a hugely successful console and has brilliant games. I actually enjoyed my Cube more but that's mostly because I missed out on top PS2 stuff. There's a lot of factors that would determine the order in favour of the PS2, moreso than the GC.

Let's face it... PS2 is only higher up in the list because 'everyone' had / has one :indeed: but just because it's the choice of the masses doesn't make it the best...

Look how the tables have turned now... the Wii is the main choice of console atm and although it has some truly stunning games, the 360 mainly - and to a lesser extent, PS3 - consistently have a lot more to offer, but then again this is mostly because the same games get put on both, whereas the Wii has more true exclusives... we just have to wait longer for them. :heh:

It's a trade-off basically and it always has been, each console has its exclusives and people will buy whatever console they like, it's not a problem and no 'list' will ever be definitive, it's just down to choice. :)

Let's face it... PS2 is only higher up in the list because 'everyone' had / has one :indeed: but just because it's the choice of the masses doesn't make it the best...

Look how the tables have turned now... the Wii is the main choice of console atm and although it has some truly stunning games, the 360 mainly - and to a lesser extent, PS3 - consistently have a lot more to offer, but then again this is mostly because the same games get put on both, whereas the Wii has more true exclusives... we just have to wait longer for them. :heh:

It's a trade-off basically and it always has been, each console has its exclusives and people will buy whatever console they like, it's not a problem and no 'list' will ever be definitive, it's just down to choice. :)

Well that whole post is heavily SCG opinion and I wouldn't really agree with much of it.

Well that whole post is heavily SCG opinion and I wouldn't really agree with much of it.

Oh sorry... I clearly forgot to put "IMO" at the end of it :indeed: of course it's just my opinion, I don't expect it to be agreed with, just stating things how I see them.

All consoles have their plus points and people will have their favourites based on how much enjoyment each console has given them, for me I've got more enjoyment out of Nintendo's consoles than Sony's... ::shrug:

With that said I've also got a load of enjoyment out of the 360 but the PS3? in terms of exclusives titles that I've actually enjoyed, it falls short... there's no need to post a list of exclusive titles because I allready have the ones that I'm interested in, the fact of the matter is that I've enjoyed more exclusive titles on the Wii and 360 than I have on the PS3, that's all. :)

I've got nothing against that but it's just posting opinion as fact gets up my nose.

I'm not deying that it's my opinion, normally I would post "Imo" at the end of each relevant sentence but it does get a bit tiresome is all... :/

So anyway, just to clarify my post was not intended to be read as fact, everyone has their favourite consoles and always will and no list will ever change that. :)

OK, but the phrases 'personally', 'for me' and 'I think' are fairly easy to slot in.

It was mainly this bit:

Let's face it... PS2 is only higher up in the list because 'everyone' had / has one

Now I preferred my Cube likewise but overall the PS2 had a lot going for it and I must've missed out on a bunch of games for it after 'changing' systems a couple of years into the generation. I think that statement is a bit blunt and probably not just.

Oh sorry... I clearly forgot to put "IMO" at the end of it

He did this with me too...this is a forum where it's almost all opinion. Dwarf, you have to use your brain to determine if people are posting opinion or fact. It's actually quite easy to tell.

This list goes against probably most people's opinions. Clearly some thirty-something nerd who still believes the NES is the best thing ever because he had it when he was 10.

OK, but the phrases 'personally', 'for me' and 'I think' are fairly easy to slot in.

Fair enough I guess...

It was mainly this bit:

Now I preferred my Cube likewise but overall the PS2 had a lot going for it and I must've missed out on a bunch of games for it after 'changing' systems a couple of years into the generation. I think that statement is a bit blunt and probably not just.

I preferred my GC too and yes the PS2 had a lot going for it but it was more that a lot of people just bought one because it was perceived as 'cool' because it had 'GTA' :indeed: and I think that was for many the overiding reason of why it was so successful but for the wrong reasons.

Of course the PS2 had other stunning games though... Ico, SOTC, Okami, GoW, DMC but is seems many bought it just for Rockstar's output sadly... anyway I just prefer the exclusive games that the GC had to the PS2's. :)

Edited by S.C.G
Automerged Doublepost

My favourite consoles (and games):

5. Saturn/PS2

Can't decide between these two. PS2 hosted the better games, but I enjoyed owning the Saturn a bit more. Both were good or decent for 3rd-party games. Basically, there were both "general" consoles to me.

(favourite Saturn games: )

Guardian Heroes

Story of Thor 2

Panzer Dragoon Saga

(PS2: )

Dragon Quest VIII

Shadow of the Colossus

4. SNES

I didn't love the SNES quite as much as other people, but I could still see the quality of its games.

Super Mario World

Zelda: A Link to the Past

F-Zero

Note: For some reason, I didn't play Super Metroid, but I'm sure that's one of the best. Got a feeling I missed out on a lot of very good games for this machine, particularly in the Contra/Axelay vein.

3. Megadrive

I really think this brought more to the market at the time than the SNES. No other console has matched the excitement of me getting this. It also seemed one of the best ever 2-player machines to me, as I played it a lot with my friends, particularly the scrolling beat 'em-ups. It eventually culminated in Landstalker, which I enjoyed even more than Link to the Past.

Landstalker

Sonic the Hedgehog

Golden Axe

Streets of Rage 2

And many, many others...

2. N64

To me, the N64 took everything to a new level, making the game design on the PlayStation and even the Saturn look primitive. The only drawbacks were blurry graphics and low draw-distance. It was also just a machine to have for the 1st- and 2nd-party games. Nonetheless, its games are still generally my 2nd-favourites.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Zelda: Majora's Mask

Super Mario 64

Note: I didn't play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, as I didn't think I'd like the genre. Banjo Kazooie was good, but I don't think it's up there with Nintendo's finest.

1. GameCube

For me this was the peak of Nintendo's "3D Worlds" philosophy. Everything was sharp, with good draw-distance - basically all the small problems of the N64 fixed. It also had the best controller ever - I loved playing about with the analogue triggers in Super Mario Sunshine.

Zelda: Wind Waker

Super Mario Sunshine

F-Zero GX

Metroid Prime

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Now that's what I call a line-up! Pretty hard to beat that.

(Note: I didn't play Resident Evil 4, as I don't like horror.)

oh come one pa1 WAS better than n64 and ps2 WAS better than cube..

i preferred my cube mind you, but there was very little choice on the system.

Super nintendo is the best ever though.

PlayStation above N64? .

oh yes yes yes...

ps1 changed the face of gaming n64 tried to hold onto what was left of the past. It had some great games but and an innovative(but shit) controller but let's not see at this through rose tinted glasses.the n64 made nintendo fall lower from what the virtual boy started.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

I hate all this opinion bullshit too; OBVIOUSLY we are all just speaking our opinions as it's all subjective discussion; we shouldn't need to slot in in my opinion, or I think, or whatever... As for the list; bull crap. Everyone KNOWS it should be:

5. NES

4. SNES

3. N64

2. Gamecube

1. Wii

The opinion thing: I don't go round telling everyone that it's just their opinion, I know how a frickin forum works. I've only mentioned it 3 times or so where people have been a bit too confident in their analogies so I reaffirm what I think. Obviously the general response to this is 'oh do I put IMO on everything?' which is stupid and no that's not what I'm saying.

Not everything anyone says has to be distinguished by themselves over whether it's opinion or not, stating something as though it's black and white however needs to be shown. Jesus Christ stop getting petty over it, it's just another way of showing if you disagree. I can tell when people are saying it as though it's 100% true and that was certainly applicable to the above.

Well the N64 should be much closer to the front. The fact the DC and Atari are ahead of it is slightly strange; you could name loads of games on the 64 that really were (and still are) groundbreaking, amazing games. I agree with the PS2 being above the GC though - it had far more stellar games, with most GC greats being first party developed, as well as there being far fewer.

1. Wii

Oh come on. No one will ever believe that. :p

I can tell when people are saying it as though it's 100% true and that was certainly applicable to the above.

If it's not a factual statement (and in this case, someone's rating of consoles) then it's opinion. End of. Work it out yourself and don't annoy people by challenging them.

Edited by Sheikah

oh yes yes yes...

ps1 changed the face of gaming n64 tried to hold onto what was left of the past.

That's the opposite of the truth, in my opinion! The PlayStation and Saturn were basically like the older consoles with extra polygon-pushing power and more storage space. Nothing wrong with that, but that's how it was.

The N64, on the other hand, had a complete rethink of how 3D games could work, and the other companies have taken years to catch up (if at all). Just compare Mario and Zelda 64 to the "3D" games on the PlayStation, designed for a d-pad, where you had to turn on the spot before moving.