Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006 tried to kill my computer!

gaggle64

I recently attempted to install Norton Internet Security 06 on my PC under the assumption that installing a well known and reliable Security programme would be a good thing. However, when I restarted my PC after installation (as instructed) I found that my PC was practically frozen. It took ten minutes to even load the task bar and everything was very, very slow. I was also unable to start any programmes as a result (including Norton). It just seemed to have ripped a bloody great chunk out of my OS (XP). My PC is better now - I've spent the last 2 days nursing it back to health after booting it from the disk (re-installing drivers ect.)

Has this ever happend to anyone else? I hear I'm not the only one. Should I try to reinstall Norton or ask for a refund? - I'm just pissed that a programme I paid £50 caused so much stress.

symantec scrapped the sygate free firewall today.

kerio's free one is going soon too

norton is a pig to uninstall, and like many av programs will not be happy if there is anything already on the pc doing the same job. ensure you install with any previous stuff off.

my antivirus picks up a suspect attachment each month that the isps email scanners miss. then again, perhaps my addresses are known!

there was a heavy attack once after the old cube-europe forums were affected, with the same virus being spotted 30 odd times in a week in my inbox.