N-Europe

Mac OSX Snow Leopard

Nintendohnut

So, this is out today, at a cost of 25 English Pounds to upgrade from Leopard. I personally won't be upgrading as I only recently got Leopard, but who will be? What new features are you particularly interested in?

I do like Apple's direction at the moment - they seem more focused on making their current UI the best that it can be rather than leaving it for a long time then bringing out something completely different. The only issue I have is cost, but then that is always the case with Apple.

What do people think?

(It's at times like this when I miss the Apple thread - it seems silly to create a whole new thread for this....but dammit I am :) )

I'm not going to be upgrading, as I'm still on a G4, but my dad will be upgrading his MacBook Pro, as well as well as the Mac Mini that's also in the house. It doesn't really look like snow leopard is really going to add much in terms of features, its more to improve performance ect.

TBH, it was a bit silly that the Apple thread got locked because the mods thought having so many larger topics in one thread (iPods, Macs, iPhone,ect.) was too much (something like this was said when it was locked), when the thread was originally just about OS X, and the mods decided it should become a general Apple thread.

Edited by Emasher

Also not upgrading at the moment as I lack funds but I think £25/year works out about the same as upgrading Windows whenever it comes out yes? That comes out every few years and costs closer to the £100 mark doesn't it?

Yeah, I suppose it does work out about the same in the end so maybe I'm being a little harsh on Apple. I think it is partly because we've had two updates within a year or so, rather than a big one after 2 years, that it feels a little strange to be updating so early. I'll probably wait, or my flatmate at uni may have a copy so I may be able to get it off him when I get back :) Hooray for illegality!

(It's illegal, right?)

I pre-ordered it, but it didn't arrive today. I hope it comes on Monday. That being said, this is mostly a technology upgrade and as such I'm not really that much excited about it. But its 30€, so there's not really a lot to complain about.

I'm somewhat disappointed they didn't ditched or updated some Aqua elements. I think at this point using something similar to the Itunes scrollbars would fit better in the overall visual scheme. They still look nice, but its time to move on. Since 10.6 is technology-oriented, 10.7 is most likely the version that will address these issues (Marble UI?), as well as bring a lot of new content. That one, I bet, will cost a lot more than 30€.:heh:

Hmm I'm sure Leopard came out last summer. I remember getting it between my 2nd and 3rd year of uni...

This isn't really a normal update, as others have said.

10.4 came out in 2005 and 10.5 was 2007, some of the smaller releases have been annual, but the big ones never have been.

Either way, the price of this update is quite decent considering that they apparently re-wrote a lot of the low level stuff.

My Impressions-

The OS feels quicker, no question about it. Everything from shutting down, booting up, loading the Dashboard, loading Safari, loading Mail, everything is just quicker.

The few UI changes like what they have done to the Dock and Spaces are great, simple changes but good ones all the same.

One of the bad things however is the fact that it's a new OS, and although I haven't found any bugs or performance issues with the Apple apps. Some 3rd party apps such as Skype etc are a little buggy and you can tell they need a update.

Overall it's great, £25 and you're mad not too. In a month or so time when there is the first OS X update out and most of the 3rd party apps have had a update to work with Snow Leoopard it will be much better. It will be Defiantly be better than Leopard then.

One thing to note is that I'm running this on the latest iMac with the latest Core2Duo and a 9400m chips so I'm seeing the benefits of GCD and Open CL, people with older macs might not see as much performance improvements as me.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Caris

Great impressions, thanks :) I'm currently running on a 3 1/2 year old MacBook (The first generation with the then new white polycarbonate shell) which is why I was wary of this update, but I will hopefully be getting a new iMac later this year so then I expect I will notice the difference.

I love the expose changes. They're so so good ^_^ I also love how stacks is finally useable. It does feel snappier and my laptop seems to be quieter than it was on Leopard (C2D 2.16GHz MacBook Pro, 2GB ram, 128MB ATI X1600) So yay!

I also did an erase and install, so the snappyness is assisted by the extra 40 GB of space i've managed to save by essentially removing all the crap from my mac.

I really like QuickTime X too. It was well worth the early wake up on Friday to get it asap on to my Mac :D Best £25 I've spent in a while.

Hmm I'm sure Leopard came out last summer. I remember getting it between my 2nd and 3rd year of uni...

It came out just after the start of our second year. Oct/Nov ish i think.

Newer Macbook Pros will come with this installed won't they? I do love the look and feel of the macs desktop so I will get one sometime.

Just planning ahead, really.

Yup, ones today get a disc thrown in, ones bought in a month or two have it preinstalled.

The older Macbooks are only 32-bit aren't they? The Core Duo ones I mean. Cos that is what my one is so I'm assuming I wont see much of an improvement in speed.

I'm thinking of waiting as I would like to get a new laptop at the start of next year so have held off getting the iLife update, and might save this as well.

I've read several reviews as well as you guys comments, and it definitely sounds worth upgrading to. My only concern is how much it would really benefit my older Macbook.

I can't wait to build my new PC and get Snow Leopard up and running on it.

I might sound really silly here, but you can install mac OS on just a normal pc? I've heard hackintosh and stuff, but it's never really sat with me.

You can't just buy Mac OS like a Windows OS can you? I guess I should look into it. hmmm