NEurope
Caris

Does anyone else think this generation is poor?

I can't help but feel this. With last generation you could buy any of the 3 consoles and have a amazing time, but with this gen it feels as though each console has a major drawback.

Wii's being how poor they look on HDTV's, the online and lack of quality games.

Xbox's being how terrible the hardware is, both console and accessories.

PS3's being the price and how some 3rd party games run and look poorly.

With last gen you could buy a PS2, Gamecube or Xbox and have no worries at all with any of them. Yes they all had there ups and downs but nothing like the current batch of consoles.

I can't help but feel I'm not having nearly as much fun as this time 5 year ago.

Anyone else agree?

Edited by Caris

I'd say this generation is shaping up to be much better, you're getting more value for what the machines can do and games are much more 'believable' in a way, you can almost ignore that the characters aren't just a mass of pixels.

The online has re-invented gaming for me really, being able to message and play and swap between them is brilliant. Plus I'm looking at my library and the 'to get' list and I don't think I've ever had to make so many purchases for one console.

I can't help but feel this. With last generation you could buy any of the 3 consoles and have a amazing time, but with one gen it feels as though each console has a major drawback.

Wii's being how poor they look on HDTV's, the online and lack of quality games.

Xbox's being how terrible the hardware is, both console and accessories.

PS3's being the price and how some 3rd party games run and look poorly.

With last gen you could buy a PS2, Gamecube or Xbox and have no worries at all with any of them. Yes they all had there ups and downs but nothing like the current batch of consoles.

I can't help but feel I'm not having nearly as much fun as this time 5 year ago.

Anyone else agree?

I think you are focussing on the issues the consoles have rather than the quality of the games that have been produced this gen, and if so, then you are correct. This gen is poor for reliability, especially when you consider that last gen's stuff still runs perfectly outlasting what we have now. Also, they were created in a much more stable economic climate with less emerging technoligies (blu-ray and HDtvs) so companies had an easier time compared to now with spiralling costs, and some very differernt machines to cater for.

Despite this great games have come and a great many are due, so I would argue that this gen could supercede (correct word?) the last for legendary status.

Sorry had to type that quickly as lunch at work has ended so its not as complete as I would have liked.

I am still playing my old PS2 games, and as well as catching up on DS games. (Does that answer the question?)

Console generation is very poor, while handheld has been the best it's ever been and for a good reason.

I think you are focussing on the issues the consoles have rather than the quality of the games that have been produced this gen, and if so, then you are correct. This gen is poor for reliability, especially when you consider that last gen's stuff still runs perfectly outlasting what we have now. Also, they were created in a much more stable economic climate with less emerging technoligies (blu-ray and HDtvs) so companies had an easier time compared to now with spiralling costs, and some very differernt machines to cater for.

Despite this great games have come and a great many are due, so I would argue that this gen could supercede (correct word?) the last for legendary status.

Sorry had to type that quickly as lunch at work has ended so its not as complete as I would have liked.

The 360 I am yeah, but the Wii and PS3 I'm talking about the games.

I don't, no. I know my 360 has provided me with a huge amount of use - albeit in return for a 1 week outage whilst it was being sent away for an RROD which is indeed a problem - but aside from that the games that are on the system are fantastic. The online service is robust, and it's converted me from a solid PC gamer to a console gamer (whilst still dabbling of course).

Caris, I agree 100%. I spend all my gaming time playing GameCube, PS2 and DS, and even with the latter, I feel the sub-N64 graphics seriously harm the games!

I have nearly bought an Xbox 360 so many times, but every time I thought "Oh, I'll wait for the Jasper". Then when the Jasper arrived it became "I'll wait for the Valhalla". When the Valhalla arrives, I don't know if I'll buy one because I honestly can't think what I'd play on it apart from Tales of Vesperia. I know there are loads of technically great games, but not much appeals to me.

As for the Wii, I'm not trying to annoy anyone, but I honestly don't think Nintendo knows what it's doing with its more traditional games. Look at how long it's taking them to make Zelda, and the apparent indecision of whether MotionPlus will benefit it at all.

The first cycle seemed based on Wii Sports and Wii Fit; the second looks to be based on Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus. Yes, they have also produced Mario, Metroid and others, but how does the hardware benefit those? Not at all, in my opinion. Where is the grand vision to take these series forward? The Wii is entirely built to suit the "blue ocean" games. They don't care how much it ruins the others.

Worst of all, the Wii is keeping my favourite series, such as Zelda and Dragon Quest, as last-gen games, and potentially ruining them with motion control.

To end on a positive note, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both fantastic pieces of hardware and once they have "settled down" (price cut and slim version for the PS3 and the "Valhalla" or better for the Xbox 360) and attracted the big games like Dragon Quest back, I can see this generation eventually becoming as good as the last.

This gen owns easily.

My PS3 cost the same as my 360 because I had to buy that rip-off wireless adapter and one years Live which added about £80-90.

I don't really get the issue with PS3 multiplatform games being worse. I get my multiplatform games for my PS3 because the difference between both versions, bar the DLC, is just not noticeable. Maybe I just don't care enough. I was just playing Ghostbusters and apparently the 360 version has more effects..Zzzzz...

Just looking through what I've played on my PS3 that stand out since I got it a year and a half ago now (mostly going through my Trophy list which was a master stroke this gen by Microsoft, love them or hate them);

Resistance 1&2

Prince of Persia

Resident Evil 5

Bioshock

Infamous

Uncharted

LittleBIGPlanet

Killzone 2

Burnout Paradise

Red Faction

Assassin's Creed

Metal Gear Solid 4

Saints Row 2

Half of those are brand new franchises and the other's have pretty much completely changed from what they were.

Then take into account downloadable games which have been a massive bonus this generation;

Wipeout HD/Fury

Shatter

The Last Guy

Flower

PJ Eden

SSHD

Savage Moon

Elefunk

There are some absolutely fantastic downloadable games that just wouldn't make it to retail last gen.

And then the other services;

(Free) online

Videzone

Home (A lot of hate, a fair amount deserved but it's getting better all the time)

BluRay

That's just the PS3 and if it were my only console I would not have a single problem. Bar wanting Left 4 Dead. :heh:

I got my PS3 on the 26th of February last year and since then it has gone from strength to strength. To be totally honest, that list is just the beginning. I haven't mentioned Singstar and Buzz which has been vastly improved by DLC. LittleBIGPlanet is just the beginning of user created content with games like Modnation Racers on the way.

I think this generation is going to last a lot longer than any before it. I would be surprised to see Microsoft or Sony launch a completely new console within the next 4 years.

As for the Wii, I have no motivation to play it, and thus I think very little of it.

I dunno. I kinda do agree. How many amazing amazing games have there been? In like three years, not a huge amount.

I agree. Nowhere near enough good games on the Wii. And on the 360 and PS3 most of the games are "chavvy". It seems that they are churning out racers, sports and FPS games.

The only thing I feel I'm missing out on by having a 360 is the Nintendo franchises I love (half of which have yet to make an appearance on the Wii anyway).

I have no idea what you people are on about. This gen has already presented an embarrassment of riches and there's still a good few years to go!

The downloadable services have given rise to truly original games that would previously never have seen the light of day. Playing online is a breeze. DLC ensures that we're able to keep playing the games we love. Hell, even the controllers we're using are better than ever!

Whip off those rose tinted spectacles. There are more quality games around than ever, the only 'problem' is that you've become spoilt. Back in the day I'd buy two or three N64 games a year, partly because I simply couldn't afford to do otherwise but also because, let's be honest, there wasn't that much worth buying. Compare that to now, a time when we all have far more disposable income and can buy what we want: I have over 20 PS3 Blu-rays and near enough that in PSN downloadable titles, too. You're looking at similar numbers for the 360, and all of these are things that I wanted to play, not blind purchases.

Try playing games instead of analysing and complaining about them all the bloody time. That's what's really changed between this generation and the last: you.

I'm with Daft et al. This generation has being amazing thus far!

It had a slow start but now it's in its stride. The 360 hardware bullshit has left a sour taste in all multi-console gamers but overlooking that and looking at the games, it's clear that this has been a very solid generation.

Let alone the three consoles differentiating into unique platforms. Wii for families and retro heads, 360 for mouthy teens and testosterone fueled gamers and the PS3 for alternative downloadable games and a media center essentially for your HD TV.

I'm a happy boy with my PS3, still glad i sold my 360, thinking about selling the Wii as well. *sigh* Still the 360 and PS3 have a strong portfolio of games, so if you have ended up with just one of them you should still be incredibly spoilt for choice!

I'm with Aimless. You're all nuts.

You're all fucking mad, you bunch of lunatics.

What they said!

It says something when developers are re-imagining old franchise's. Games such as Street Fighter IV, Bionic Commando Re-Armed, and the recently released Monkey Island. Even new IP's are harking back to the 16 bit era with Shadow Complex. Albeit with modern technology and online play. But the gameplay is essentially the same.

I still think this Gen is the best so far though, there is no way I would play a game last Gen for the amount of time I have played, say, CoD4. And thats all due to online gaming. Which I believe is the single most important thing to happen to Consoles thus far.

The trick is to not have high expectations. Once you know that nothing as great as the N64 era will ever come around again you can never be disappointed.

I'm sorry but that's just opinion. N64 era was good but every gen has their fair share of great games. As Aimless said some people need to

Whip off those rose tinted spectacles
and start appreciating the higher quality games we are experiencing now. Diddy Kong Racing & Goldeneye were great but I prefer the PS3 for quality and quantity overall.

I'm sorry but that's just opinion.

I think you're quite a smart guy.

Oh fuck you. Just because I've happened to reiterate that phrase to you doesn't mean you have to be an arse about it. Get over the N64, this generation does so much more than the 64 ever did.

Oh fuck you. Just because I've happened to reiterate that phrase to you doesn't mean you have to be an arse about it. Get over the N64, this generation does so much more than the 64 ever did.

Putting your immature insult to one side, it's quite obvious why I prefer the N64 era. For the sake of justifying my opinion, let's just take a look at some of the N64 games that popped up:

Mario 64 - defined 3D platform gaming. Since then, every 3D platformer (including later gen Mario games) has followed in its ways. Therefore, the most groundbreaking 3D platformer was on the N64.

Ocarina of Time - Since this game, every single main console Zelda title has followed the same overall formula. Therefore, the most groundbreaking 3D Zelda game was first seen on N64.

Goldeneye 64 - Again, this shaped FPS games ever since. It was really such a great game.

You really don't have groundbreaking games these days. It's a bit like GTA - when GTA3 hit, with its hugely interactive world and third person (ground level) view, this was a great game. Since then, every console GTA has just used the same formula. For that reason, any GTA sequel is never as fun for me, since I've played the same sort of game several times over. Also, any FPS game around often uses similar weaponry and a reasonably similar battle system.

The N64 brought a load of titles that had something quite new. Most titles these days have been done so many times before. Have games improved? Of course they have. Better graphics, greater lifespan, multiplayer options, etc. Does this make them better games? No, because the core content isn't fresh, so is nowhere near as entertaining as when the genre benchmark games cropped up years ago.

Edited by Sheikah

Great, the N64 era defined things. That doesn't mean shit now 10 years later.

It's your loss if you can't move on.

I have to agree the N64 wasn't just the best generation, it was one of the best parts of my childhood.