NEurope
Caris

Does anyone else think this generation is poor?

Yes but then PC gaming doesnt really go in "generations" like console gaming does so I dont think its relevant.

It's not as clear but it's definitely there. Basically whatever games come out for PC during the generation of consoles can be classed as that generation. Particularly since a lot of console games go to the PC at roughly the same time too, anyway. Factor in PC games having high resolutions waaaay before this generation hit and I think it's a reasonably valid point.

Well I still wouldnt class the PC as having generations anyway, the only ones I could even tell you which supposed generations games came out in would be the ones you've mentioned, console ports.

Anyway that doesnt really matter, what does matter is that developers ignoring SDtv users suck big fat sweaty balls!

You're really saying that the Saturn is better than the DS?

Yes. It had an enormous amount of sheer power and the games came on CDs, which must have given them an advantage with textures. I can't imagine the DS running Virtua Fighter 2 or Sega Rally as well as the Saturn.

There's nothing political about what I say. I just go by instinct. Even back then I could tell that the Saturn's 2D games were generally better and smoother than the 3D ones, but it never seemed as bad as the DS.

Yes. It had an enormous amount of sheer power and the games came on CDs, which must have given them an advantage with textures. I can't imagine the DS running Virtua Fighter 2 or Sega Rally as well as the Saturn.

But CDs are slower and hold less than DS cards...

sorry, but thats bollocks. games consoles have always been very expensive, the 3DO was like $600, years ago now, and there is absolutuly no clause saying you must play using an HD TV, you can use a standard definition just as easily.

lets not forget the longer console lifespan either, a higher inital price for a console that is relivent for longer seems fair.

The 3DfuckingO! That's how well it went. And that's besides the point, my problem isn't with the price of the console, it's with how it's worth less if you play it on an SDTV (the still Standard definition).

It sounds like you are penalizing the 360 and PS3 for supporting a wider range of resolutions?

Thats like penalizing Mario Kart Wii because it supports online multiplayer, which requires an expensive monthly internet connection to fully enjoy it.

Or were you waiting for Nintendo to decide when you should upgrade your telly?

I'm penalizing them for requiring a new TV so I can read the damn menu or for only providing better graphics if you have an HDTV.

And the analogy for Mario Kart Wii would work if it didn't have single player or local multi player.

By the time Nintendo comes out with the "Wii HD", HDTVs had around 5 years of price drops and consoles won't be the only thing to use it. (I already have one btw)

Personally I think its been going downhill since the SNES Genesis days in terms of game quality. And this generation has been awful for hardware problems.

Other than that, there isn't much to compare. Game consoles didn't really have that many extra features like web browsers or media playback (besides just playing DVDs) until this generation. I think we're going to have to wait a little while to see how this generation compares, but I think things like Media Playback and Online functionality can only get better, not because they're bad now (they aren't) but because its something that I would imagine isn't going to be easy to screw up. With online, they seem to be just adding more features ect.

This is the best gen by far, online has finally made its self known on consoles and theres plenty of shit hot games to play. Shut up and play with ur iphone u geordie plonker. :D

The original Xbox had around 5 or 6 720p games.

Say what? :S

I think this generation has been pretty excellent so far to be honest, far better the the last one. One thing I don't like is the lack of local multi player in many games (Motorstorm comes to mind) and instead the game just having purely online multi player. Downloadable gmaes have been great and I think we have seen some stuff that would never have made it to retail otherwise. The amount of peripherals has been a bit daft though and while I think this generation is better value than the last and has better pricing, some things are still very expensive. All the special editions of games and things like Guitar Hero or the 360 WONT-EVER-FALL-IN-PRICE wireless adapter make for some very expensive gaming.

Nintendo is worse this generation though. So much worse.

You should get the new Motorstorm, a much better game all-round and it has split-screen.

No complaints here. I luv gaming on my PS3, PSP and iPhone. :) We are getting alot on the polished side as well as new ideas. Look at MAG or Modnation Racers. Quality is certainly not an issue as I feel spoiled and strong user experiences on the high end systems certainly help.

I would say PC/MS, Nintendo and mobile phones are down due to user experience. They feel much more aged in comparison.

Iphone has a ton of nice stuff, its very refreshing for mobile phone gaming. So much that i separate them. Its not like other phones at all.

LBP is going to be the most influential game this generation. Alot of game concepts are now coming with easy create and share :)

You should get the new Motorstorm, a much better game all-round and it has split-screen.

I was thinking about that but I got Wipeout instead :D

I was thinking about that but I got Wipeout instead :D

They're both great, Wipeout betters it by some distance in my opinion.

Say what? :S

Actually, it was quite a few more than that, around 40, including:

Enter the Matrix, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Scarface: The World is Yours, Soul Calibur II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (& Underground & Underground 2), True Crime: Streets of L.A., The Warriors, X-Men Legends (and the sequel).

Nothing brilliant, but it still means that the original Xbox is a HD console.

Nothing brilliant, but it still means that the original Xbox is a HD console.

No. The PS2 could also output high resolutions but that does not make them HD.

No. The PS2 could also output high resolutions but that does not make them HD.

OK. It did HD before HD was a marketing name for high resolutions.

OK. It did HD before HD was a marketing name for high resolutions.

HD is also a standard.

What I dislike about this generation is how the terms 'casual and hardcore' seem to mean everything for gaming according to some. We never had this mess last gen.

How motion controls seem to be the future of gaming across all platforms now and nothing else.

I don't like how gaming seems to be moving more towards online play which is great if you have it but I don't so I'd still like to see a solid single player mode for all games for us offliners. I guess we will see more DLC content as well as companies try and rein in their development costs.

Apart from that this generation is still fun and interesting for me. I started off gaming back in the Commodore 16 days and I'm not gonna quit yet.

I really feel things have changed over the past 17-18 months since this thread started.

2010 has been an amazing year for Wii and stuff like Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption are pushing the envelope on HD consoles. Not to mention all the creativity and originality found in a lot of downloadable games. With the promising 2011/2012 line-up (on the HD consoles at least) I think this will be the best generation ever in terms of number of high quality games.

Edited by Ren of Heavens

I really feel things have changed over the past 17-18 months since this thread started.

2010 has been an amazing year for Wii and stuff like Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption are pushing the envelope on HD consoles. Not to mention all the creativity and originality found in a lot of downloadable games. With the promising 2011/2012 line-up (on the HD consoles at least) I think this will be the best generation ever in terms of number of high quality games.

A good time to bump this thread really, for me this generation, the true winner has been the handhelds, when gameboy and Advance was around it was just the watered down versions of the big games on the home system, but now looking at the systems both DS, PSP and iPhone, it's obvious that handhelds are a force to be reckoned with now, and with 3DS approaching, meaning more support and effort being put into the system, all I can say is that I can hardly wait to play games that will blow me away while on the move rather then just being on the couch all the time.

I am glad this has been the generation of the revival of the 2D platforming genre, loved it as a kid and love it today.

The longevity of the two consoles has probably been the defining point. I'd be happy to not even hear talk of a new console for another three or four years. It's not like the 360 and the PS3 are anything like the machines they were when they were first launched, they keep getting upgraded. I suspect the PS3 is slightly more future-proofed (BluRay, 3D and developers are still getting used to the architecture) but not enough to warrant the 360 jumping the gun.

Every generation before I'd always be keen for games to look better but now that doesn't matter. It's more about vision.

And next year looks absolutely insane.

This year has been shit for games, I think I've only bought three/four.

The thing is, everything has been delayed until next year. And by everything I mean it, it's made Q4 an absolute piss-squeak.

It's weird, gaming occupies so much less of my time nowadays but when i do get really into a game (i've been playing ACII non-stop for about 3 days and just purchased Reach), I still find i'm less impressed than I was with older titles. For example, I played Super Metroid a couple of weeks back (and for the first time last Summer) and genuinely think it's close to perfection, and tbh i'm more impressed with that game than AC2.

It's hard to explain, but since the move to 3D the developers have much more to do. In a 2D game you could just focus on artwork/graphics and good gameplay and you were set. It's different now, there is SO much more for a developer to work on. I criticise AC2 a lot as I'm playing it (the pop up is ridiculous and the AI is..questionable) but you can tell they've spent thousands of hours and millions of dollar on the game already. I then look at Braid, my favourite game of this generation, and because it's in 2D it nails pretty much everything. Limbo was also a fantastic experience, again it's a much simpler premise than some of these bigger games but it works perfectly.

Strangely, the best games I've played over the last few years are probably Braid, SMG/2, Bioshock and then games on DS like Phoenix Wright etc, yet I've probably played about 30 odd games in that time; i find it harder to get enjoyment out of games now simply because the sheer fun factor in the gameplay isn't what it used to be (imo). The average FPS, GTA and Fifa just don't give me that excitement that DKC: Returns gives me, which is saying something because personally I think GTAIV is frickin' masterpiece, just a really boring one at that.

If I wasn't such a sucker for online shootingz, this gen would probably leave me feeling a bit short-changed in retrospect.

PSN games haven't taken off quite how I hoped. There needs to be way more developers joining in, making the simple but well tuned titles (as Goronz0r cites). The App store is flooded with them, and obviously the touchscreen works great for these gems, but I'm still awaiting a surge in bandwagon joinage for console downloadables.