N-Europe

vetting and barring system

bluey

Yeah, I did that the other day, I was literally just sat there, looking up a book on the computer for a kid and then BAM! He was naked and my mouth was on his balls.

Such an error.

Made me lol.

This seems a bit extreme. Families taking in children/teens on exhancge trips should have connections to the school, and they'd have all the families details anyway...and people in an official capacity who work with children are checked out anyway. Seems silly to do this.

Will they assess all those catholic priests?

Yeah, I did that the other day, I was literally just sat there, looking up a book on the computer for a kid and then BAM! He was naked and my mouth was on his balls.

Such an error.

the register, the background checks, yeah, ok, thats an ok idea. but why should you have to pay? seriously, its a stupid excuse to grab some cash.

just watch out for those potato delivery men.

I think that my Mum, Dad and Step Mum may all have to sign it (although my Step Mum/Dad have never heard about it). A list of people who have to sign it would be useful.

I'm guessing that childminders and carers have to sign up for this?

Edit: Done a bit more research. Looks like they have to, but it sounds like they don't have to until November 2010.

Edited by Cube

If they must wheel out a stealth tax the government should instead charge prospective parents £64 each time they want to birth a child. It's a negligible cost if you're looking to start or expand a family, but it might be enough to make certain would-be parents actually think about what they're doing.

The latter is of course an impractical and potential damaging idea, but my point is that it's rather farcical that teachers have to be vetted and checked at every turn whilst everyone is free to force as many children into the world as they like, no questions asked.

If they must wheel out a stealth tax the government should instead charge prospective parents £64 each time they want to birth a child. It's a negligible cost if you're looking to start or expand a family, but it might be enough to make certain would-be parents actually think about what they're doing.

The latter is of course an impractical and potential damaging idea, but my point is that it's rather farcical that teachers have to be vetted and checked at every turn whilst everyone is free to force as many children into the world as they like, no questions asked.

This is an excellent point.

Teenage mums, people who can't provide for their kids or who let them play out on the streets from the age of 4, kids who will grow up to amount to not much etc (I'm NOT saying all kids are like this, just there is a minority that are) - maybe if they had to pay before they wouldn't be so keen to have the kid. I often think that some people have kids just for the benefits. (Note: My opinion, I understand it may sound horrible I think I'm just not putting my point across very well)

That's a different argument though, for another time. The point is, this is just ridiculous. Sure, get people signed up on a database, that's actually a really good idea - it means that parents could look up childminders, teaching assistants etc and if they were on the database they would feel safe about leaving their children with them. Just the idea that you have to pay such a large amount for this is ridiculous. £5, £10 - that would probably be fine, but £64 is just stupid.

Typical government - someone has a good idea that will benefit the country, they tell someone and that person goes "Brilliant! And we could charge people to do it, so we'll make loads of money too!"

This is an excellent point.

Teenage mums, people who can't provide for their kids or who let them play out on the streets from the age of 4, kids who will grow up to amount to not much etc (I'm NOT saying all kids are like this, just there is a minority that are) - maybe if they had to pay before they wouldn't be so keen to have the kid. I often think that some people have kids just for the benefits. (Note: My opinion, I understand it may sound horrible I think I'm just not putting my point across very well)

That's a different argument though, for another time. The point is, this is just ridiculous. Sure, get people signed up on a database, that's actually a really good idea - it means that parents could look up childminders, teaching assistants etc and if they were on the database they would feel safe about leaving their children with them. Just the idea that you have to pay such a large amount for this is ridiculous. £5, £10 - that would probably be fine, but £64 is just stupid.

Typical government - someone has a good idea that will benefit the country, they tell someone and that person goes "Brilliant! And we could charge people to do it, so we'll make loads of money too!"

I just can't see how being registered proves you're not a paedophile. It proves you haven't been caught as a paedophile. And if you have, I'm pretty sure it will be in your papers for people to look at before they hire you as a teacher anyway. This database just seems so pointless to me, even without the ridiculous fee. :confused:

That's actually a brilliant idea.

The problem I think with all these fees and databases is that I feel as if the Government think that doing this is enough. That by creating databases it is enough to eradicate the problem. It's not really what tools you have, it's the way you use these tools to do the job. There are already plenty of other checks and procedures you have to go through in order to become a teacher or work within a school, so adding a few more in will just make the process seem more tiresome than it already is, and I'm not even sure there will be any greater benefits than the systems that are already in place.

More should be done with what already is there.