NEurope

But I guess it wouldn't start burning until it had been in there for sufficient time. I think this is mainly because that should have been explained that it can burn, but then you have health and safety gone mad because then every single danger would have to be explained.

Tough call in my opinion.

Some random girl in my house right now says that the stuff starts to give off heat as it starts setting, or something. I forget if this is relevant.

Oh, I totally missed the bit about the clay mold, I'm an idiot, forgive me, and thanks for the explanation Eenuh.

OH MY GOD AS I WAS TYPING THIS SWITCHED TO ANOTHER WINDOW AND ALL I SAW ON AN UNRELATED TOPIC WAS 'IS SHE PLASTERED' I ACTUALLY CANNOT STOP LAUGHING

Ok, I managed to stop laughing. It's kind of bad, and obviously poor risk assessment, but then again, they were dealing with 16 year olds and probably thought they can't be that fucking stupid. I knew PoP does get hot when setting, the heat's produced as part of the chemical reaction or something, but I just knew that cos I was weird as a child.

What I don't get, like EEVILL suggested, how did it apparently manage to happen in seconds. I DON'T know how fast plaster sets, but I'm pretty sure it takes its time. What the hell was she doing in the meantime/whilst her hands were getting warm? AND how frickin hard is it to remove plaster? Smash it on something! Where were her friends or anyone sensible during this whole debacle?

Oh, I totally missed the bit about the clay mold, I'm an idiot, forgive me, and thanks for the explanation Eenuh.

OH MY GOD AS I WAS TYPING THIS SWITCHED TO ANOTHER WINDOW AND ALL I SAW ON AN UNRELATED TOPIC WAS 'IS SHE PLASTERED' I ACTUALLY CANNOT STOP LAUGHING

Ok, I managed to stop laughing. It's kind of bad, and obviously poor risk assessment, but then again, they were dealing with 16 year olds and probably thought they can't be that fucking stupid. I knew PoP does get hot when setting, the heat's produced as part of the chemical reaction or something, but I just knew that cos I was weird as a child.

What I don't get, like EEVILL suggested, how did it apparently manage to happen in seconds. I DON'T know how fast plaster sets, but I'm pretty sure it takes its time. What the hell was she doing in the meantime/whilst her hands were getting warm? AND how frickin hard is it to remove plaster? Smash it on something! Where were her friends or anyone sensible during this whole debacle?

Hm, seeing as she tried to make a mold of her hands directly in the plaster, it explains why she kept her hands in. The question is: When does the plaster start heating up? As soon as it start hardening or some time after?

If you don't mind me asking, were they born that way or did they lose them in an accident or something?

It's awful that the girl has to go through life now without her fingers, but I think this was something that could and probably should have been avoided. :hmm:

One girl was born with a disfigured hand, only had a round fist and a small thumb. The other guy got pushed (maybe by accident - they never got to the bottom of it) from a crowed train platform onto the tracks while a train was coming. Thankfully someone managed to lay on the platform and grab the lad and pull him from the tracks, but his hand was just caught as the train passed.

That lad was awesome, too. When we first met he put out his messed up hand for a hand shake. He loved to see people's reactions.

When does the plaster start heating up? As soon as it start hardening or some time after?

Similar to concrete (I have 2 hours of lecture on it on Fridays, separated by 1 hour on the reinforced variant...), it heats up surprisingly fast it begins to set shortly after you stop stirring it. I don't know the exact percentages, but within something like 15-30 minutes it's suitable for an art piece such as this, which corresponds to it having something like 60% of it's strength within 10 minutes tops.

Oh, and one little point - plaster doesn't dry, it sets - theoretically, the higher the water content in proportion to the plaster, the faster it sets.

Edited by The fish

Similar to concrete (I have 2 hours of lecture on it on Fridays, separated by 1 hour on the reinforced variant...), it heats up surprisingly fast it begins to set shortly after you stop stirring it. I don't know the exact percentages, but within something like 15-30 minutes it's suitable for an art piece such as this, which corresponds to it having something like 60% of it's strength within 10 minutes tops.

Oh, and one little point - plaster doesn't dry, it sets - theoretically, the higher the water content in proportion to the plaster, the faster it sets.

My point was if it started hardening before heating up, because that would explain why she got so terribly burned.

We'll see. But then, I assume it'll just be a usual singing the verses live, and then a backing track comes for the chorus (and she might sing along, but maybe not). Which is usually used cause the chorus is produced to be more bombastic and OOT than the rest of the song, plus she'll be dancing I guess.

If it's a pure mime, it'll be shit.

Are you saying people can't dance and sing at the same time?

No, but it's incredibly hard to do complicated dance routines and maintain a decent singing voice. It's like extreme multi-tasking.

The worst thing about that stupid girl and her hands is, I find it so stupid and unbelievable, I actually want to try just to prove it can't possibly be possible to be so stupid, but then that's the sort of thing that leads to lots of people doing stupid stuff, a bit like that whole lightbulb in mouth fiasco.

Leona Lewis Tangoed In Waterstones

Leona Lewis 'slapped' at signing

Police have arrested a man over an alleged assault on former X Factor winner Leona Lewis at a book signing.

A Scotland Yard spokesman confirmed police were called on Wednesday afternoon to Waterstones book store at Piccadilly in central London.

"The female did not require hospital treatment," he added.

In a statement, Waterstones said: "There was an incident at our Leona Lewis signing this afternoon and the event was immediately stopped."

"We are now doing everything we can to support the police in their enquiries.

"We take security at our book signings extremely seriously and this is the first time anything of this nature has happened.

"We would like to thank Leona for her professionalism and we are extremely sad that this event was ruined for her, and her fans, many of whom queued from the early hours of the morning to meet her."

Lewis, who won the TV talent contest in 2006, was signing copies of her new autobiography, Dreams, which is due to be released next month.

The singer's second album, Echo, is also scheduled for release in November.

The three-time Grammy Award nominee, released her debut single A Moment Like This, shortly after winning the ITV1 show.

She is due to play a gig in her native Hackney in east London on 2 November.

id have knocked him out if i'd been there. dosen't matter how drunk you are, theres certain things you just don't do.

Haha! Love it. Carnage is an utterly ridiculous excuse for a night out. It starts at 7, and the time I went there were people passed out drunk by 7.15 in the first bar.

The article itself really isn't that bothered that it was a monument dedicated to the lives of blah blah blah -- no, it's more interested in saying yet another classic example of the binging youth of today. The whole thing can fuck right off. It's a bit of piss. No damage was done. He was out of his mind drunk, ffs.

Yeah, sometimes I hate things like that. If he was sober and did it, it's rude, and whatever. Charge him with indecency or something.

But he was drunk (just woke up from being passed out), on a student night, like you say. Do people really invest so much in (drunken) actions?

It could've been a tribute to all those soldiers who pissed during the WWI/II.

Sadly he says he was too drunk to remember.

Yeah, its just another excuse to criticise whatever group people dislike (I presume this is mostly going to be students) when I'm sure many drunk people have done similar (intentionally or not, and I doubt this one was).

Has pram baby been mentioned yet? Crazy.

I still don't think being utterly pissed is any excuse. While I agree that the article is biased and perhaps exaggerating, it's still pretty disrespectful what he did.

If you can get away with killing during temporary insanity I don't see how this is much different, the person was clearly not of sound mind. Its not like we don't know the effect of alcohol on people. By the sounds of it he woke up and pissed on the first thing he could find.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't disrespectful in its own way, but it seemed rather unintentional. Maybe more public toilets should be open 24/hours because lets face it, none bloody are.