N-Europe

Shigeru Miyamoto Interview: No Sword for Link

Dante

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few thoughts as to why I don't think the difficulty level adjusting itself would be a good idea. Say I want to really challenge myself and try to beat the game on a very hard setting: I don't want it to get easier if I don't succeed within 10 minutes. Heck, trying to beat a game at a high difficulty has always been about working hours upon hours to get good enough to beat it. It's frustrating, but that's also what makes it so rewarding it when you finally complete it.

So yeah, I would definitely not like the difficulty to adjust itself. At least give the option to have a set diffculty.

I just hope this girl doesn't turn into a gimmicky 'talking sword', or another Midna helper. And if she is going to speak, PLEASE no jibberish! With that said, if there is no voice overs in this game it will feel bland.

People will argue that voice overs isn't in the spirit of Zelda.

Regarding helpers like Midna and Navi, I think they're pretty much standard by now. That being said, I think Midna is solid proof that helper characters can win the heart of gamers. I was distressed when Midna was dying (that music ...), and the end of the game ... I don't even want to talk about it.

Midna wasn't Navi. I'll say that much. She wasn't just annoying, she had a proper personality and was a great addition to Twilight princess that kept it from feeling overly generic. That's my opinion anyway. We don't really know enough about this girl anyway. Perhaps she's not even a specific character but is just representing a new race in the game.

I actually favored Navi over Midna. Sure Navi was annoying but I kind of liked the character exactly because of that and she stuck with you to help. With Midna I often felt like she was just sitting there and needed you to achieve her goals. At the very end of the game my opinion about her suddenly changed :D

About difficulty - I actually hate to have to choose between various ones, I mean sure it's sometimes nice to make it easier if a game is really hard, but generally the game is designed with a certain difficulty in mind and I feel like I miss a bit of the experience and feeling if I select the one the devs didn't have in mind when creating it.

No, Midna is awesome. Link gets a starring role in 99% of his games anyway.

I too would have prefered if they announced Zelda in the next E3 with a nice tasty hype inducing trailer. And perhaps a demo too. In a shocking way. I don't like this small tidbits of information and 1 year of salivation thing.

Midna rocked! I thought it would be hard for Link to ever have another companion after Navi, but Midna just rocked. Tatl was pretty cool, but...Midnaaaaaaaa. :D

You actually cared about her, and like Dannyboy/Gary Neville says, you felt saddened by certain events in the game where Midna was in danger. I don't particularly mind if Link does take a bit of a backseat, but only if the main character is created in such a way in that every scene with him/her is scene-stealing. Saying that, Midna lit up the game, and gave it a soul. I really can't imagine going through the same game without her.

Pffft... I failed to be as emotionally attached to such a flimsy character. Her one dimensional character is merely hidden under good dialogue. IMO, that little scene in OOT where Navi decides to 'fight' with you while battling Ganon was much more powerful and effective than any of Midna's segmented cameos.

Pffft... I failed to be as emotionally attached to such a flimsy character. Her one dimensional character is merely hidden under good dialogue. IMO, that little scene in OOT where Navi decides to 'fight' with you while battling Ganon was much more powerful and effective than any of Midna's segmented cameos.

Man, you used to be cool. :(;)

Nah, that scene with Navi is pretty awesome, but there were so many bits with Midna...her cheeky face. With both characters, it did feel as if you were going on a huge journey, and had come a long way with both. I don't really see how Midna was "flimsy", though. :heh:

New interview: Miyamoto Wants New Zelda Exclusive to MotionPlus

In a roundtable Q&A session last week at E3, the head of Nintendo’s game design department told the press that the game would use the $20 add-on, which adds greater motion-sensing capabilities to the Wii Remote. But he said it wasn’t yet decided whether the MotionPlus would be required or optional.

Speaking exclusively to Wired.com, however, he said that he’s pushing the game’s developers to create a Zelda experience that requires the extra features.

“The goal at this point is that we would make Wii MotionPlus required in order to play Zelda,” he said.

It’s reasonable to assume that Zelda’s use of MotionPlus might depend on how many of the devices Nintendo sells between now and the game’s far-off release date. But Miyamoto says that’s not actually the case.

“The bigger hurdle for us is not really whether people have a Wii MotionPlus or don’t have it, it’s whether or not the experience is one where people will think they want to have a Wii Motion Plus in order to experience it,” he said.

The standard Wii remote controller can only detect its own rotation, but with the $20 Wii MotionPlus, which was released on Monday, it can also detect linear motion. In July, Nintendo will release Wii Sports Resort, a collection of sports games that will illustrate various ways the MotionPlus features can be used.

In an archery game, for example, you can aim your “bow” by moving the controller in a straight line up and down.

Link, the main character of The Legend of Zelda, loves to shoot arrows himself. Might we see a deeper archery mechanic in his next game?

If Nintendo has already committed to including Wii MotionPlus support in the game, it’s quite unlikely that it would make it optional, especially as it can just bundle the MotionPlus in with every copy of the game so that every player has the device.

Miyamoto realizes that Zelda players might not want an excessive amount of motion controls in their adventure game, which has typically been about puzzle-solving and storylines rather than too-intricate action sequences.

“There may be a group of people out there who look at people playing motion control games and have a hesitancy to try to play those because they’re worried that they might not look so cool, swinging a Wii remote around. But in watching people play New Super Mario Bros. Wii, even though it’s just a simple shaking motion, I’m watching people play (it) with a big grin on their face.”

“So I’m hoping that we might be able to create a similar-feeling experience for Zelda,” he said.

Miyamoto went on to say that the game is still in a rougher state of development, which is why Nintendo declined to show any of it at E3.

“The development of Zelda has been focused strictly on the gameplay structure at this point. We haven’t devoted much in the way of efforts to things like graphical representation, and story, and those types of production elements,” he said.

Miyamoto said at E3 that although the current goal is to release the new Zelda in 2010, it could be pushed back. With two heavy hitters, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: The Other M, already on for next year, it seems most likely that we’ll have to wait until 2011 to play Link’s next great adventure.

Guest Captain Falcon

Well maybe they'll try a different route with this one.

Clearly there is a link between the girl and the Master Sword, but what's to say the girl isn't killed off halfway or even maybe a third of the way through the game. She'll obviously die by the end of the game, she has too - I just can't help but get a Castlevania: LoI story vibe from the picture.

The true origins of the master sword have never been totally clear so it will be good if this is the story telling of those events.

And as for Link being older, well he's definitely taller than he's ever been when you look at his proportions. Sure his face isn't much different but then he's always looked like that - he's older, not old.

I liked Midna. The game would've been much duller without her :)

Each helper was good in their way. Navi was a loyal companion (I never found her annoying. Still don't.), KotRL was a badass boat, Tatl actually trusted my intelligence, Ezlo was a smartass, Midna was a smartass AND had plot relevance, and Ciela was a mix of the above (yet unique. Still the only helper to wield a hammer twice her size).

I like how they don't stick with a formula for the helpers, really.

As for the MotionPlus article, I certainly hope it's not essential. Just like the GBA wasn't essential to complete the figurine gallery in WW.

I do hope MotionPlus is essential. That will mean that the controls will be the best they can be without spending time worrying about lesser controls.

I'm in agreement with this, I want it to be absolutely the best it can be!

MotionPlus doesn't instantly make games better, as a lot of comments seem to sugget. I hope for Nintendo to simply make the best controls they can - MotionPlus or not. Metroid: Other M doesn't include MotionPlus because it won't benefit the game. Other games will be in a similar situation.

MotionPlus doesn't instantly make games better, as a lot of comments seem to sugget. I hope for Nintendo to simply make the best controls they can - MotionPlus or not. Metroid: Other M doesn't include MotionPlus because it won't benefit the game. Other games will be in a similar situation.

Zelda TP suffered because it was ported to the Wii. They seem to be developing this to use Motion Plus, if they decide to make it optional, they would have to program the controls to use both, possibly harming the final game. They seem to be building this from the ground up for the M+, I don't see why such a game wouldn't be benefited from it.

-----------------------

The standard Wii remote controller can only detect its own rotation, but with the $20 Wii MotionPlus, which was released on Monday, it can also detect linear motion. In July, Nintendo will release Wii Sports Resort, a collection of sports games that will illustrate various ways the MotionPlus features can be used.

Seems to be some sort of mistranslation, its the other way around.

There is another interview here:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/shigeru-miyamoto-interview/

One of the interesting points in that interview is that he says they (currently) only announce games that will be released within 12 months. This is kinda interesting because if Zelda shall be announced on the next E3 we actually have a release time frame for it and of course, we also have time frames for the Nintendo games announced at E3 like Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Guest Captain Falcon
There is another interview here:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/shigeru-miyamoto-interview/

One of the interesting points in that interview is that he says they (currently) only announce games that will be released within 12 months. This is kinda interesting because if Zelda shall be announced on the next E3 we actually have a release time frame for it and of course, we also have time frames for the Nintendo games announced at E3 like Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I can't imagine SMG2 or M:OM coming out before holiday 2010 - maybe they think they will have them out in 12 months, but then they always say that and it rarely happens with their big games that require a proper development cycle.

Well: Actually he said 12 months or so. Maybe it is actually 18 months because holiday 2010 would make sense. HOWEVER, the question is for which countries because 12 months for Japan could be possible - e.g. Golden Week would be quite good for them - but that doesn't mean the same happens for Europe/America.

Zelda TP suffered because it was ported to the Wii. They seem to be developing this to use Motion Plus, if they decide to make it optional, they would have to program the controls to use both, possibly harming the final game. They seem to be building this from the ground up for the M+, I don't see why such a game wouldn't be benefited from it.

-----------------------

Seems to be some sort of mistranslation, its the other way around.

This is an important point. It doesn't matter if it's MotionPlus or not as long as the controls are properly designed from the ground. That being said, if they can truly implement MotionPlus in the game, it could offer some great swordsplay mechanics.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!