NEurope

Wait... so the whole point of this Resident Evil 5 re-release is to add motion control support? that's cool and all but... they can patch Little Big Planet so surely they can patch Resi 5? ...

Also I'm assuming this new re-release will come out on the 360 as well for when Natal launches? I've gotta say that assuming Natal works exactly how they have been saying it does then I'd rather play it with that rather than with something that is essentially a more advanced copy of the Wii Remote :heh: but we'll see how things pan out.

It's Capcom. Why would they want to release something for free? Silly you... :heh:

I'm not sure how this will work with Natal. The whole lack of buttons thing. Plus no rumble. And even ignoring that, either system is hardly going to make that much difference to the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Ape Escape.

Not that it matters for anglophones but I find it funny that the name of it in Portuguese (and I suppose other romance languages) is exactly like saying Wii.

The whole light changing colour thing is a gimmick...

It's more likely the way in which the Eye differentiates between controllers.

I've gotta say that assuming Natal works exactly how they have been saying it does then I'd rather play it with that rather than with something that is essentially a more advanced copy of the Wii Remote :heh:

Eh? How are you aiming in this scenario?

Not that it matters for anglophones but I find it funny that the name of it in Portuguese (and I suppose other romance languages) is exactly like saying Wii.

I don't think UI is the name, it's just the prefix on the slide as they were talking about the different PS3 input devices — the motion controller, Eye and DualShock 3. I reckon they should call it the SoMoCo; it's fun to say and has the irregular capitalisation they love so much.

LittleBIGPlanet is get motion control support patched in and Resident Evil 5 is being re-released to work with it. (Edit: Just saw you posted this in the PS Thread) This is exactly how Sony need to approach it. Fingers crossed for GoW being patched to use them. That might be fun.

Isn't there meant to be an analogue stick on the controller?

You play RE5: AE with one hand holding the Wand and the other a Dual Shock 3.

So you rest the DS3 in your hand and lap (being able to control L1/L2 the analogue and the d-pad) with the UI in your right hand pointing etc... Hardly intuitive, seems very makeshift, but I guess would work. The better games will be the one's that use just the UI though.

But no analogues is so stupid I think they may as well scrap the idea of proper FPS or shooting games for it. I couldn't care for lightgun games. Plus that game Daft mentioned once or twice with the FP game holding a torch looked good, now I don't think the controls will be satisfactory.

Think Sony should have put a analogue stick on the controller?

Left hand: DS3

- D-Pad

- Left Anolog Stick

- Left shoulder buttons

Right hand: Motion Controller

- Face Buttons

- Anolog Trigger

- Pointer Control (in place of right anolog stick)

2q8dp5j.png

jpa9v6.jpg

Edited by Dante

I don't think UI is the name, it's just the prefix on the slide as they were talking about the different PS3 input devices — the motion controller, Eye and DualShock 3. I reckon they should call it the SoMoCo; it's fun to say and has the irregular capitalisation they love so much.

Fair enough, it's probably just an abbreviation of user interface. As for SoMoCo, personally it sounds weird, like a creole word, but stranger things have happened (Wii).

And about the design, I won't make any sexual reference but the huge ball on top of it is a bit overkill, couldn't they just do a light strip around it? Tech wise seems identical to the Wiimote with m+, with the added features of the camera detection.

Edited by Shino

Call it the Sony MoCo. Like a Mocha cappuccino.

....yeah...

Think Sony should have put a analogue stick on the controller?

- D-Pad

- Left Anolog Stick

- Left shoulder buttons

- Face Buttons

- Anolog Trigger

2q8dp5j.png

jpa9v6.jpg

Praise the mutha fuckin' Lord!!!

I am now back and interested.

Edit: Dante, can you put a source for this stuff please?

No Daft. The motion controllers are all identical I think. Me and Dante were just suggesting that you'd have to use the DS3 analogue.

Got all excited there when really you should be deflated now for having impared vision. Or am I missing something?

Fair enough, it's probably just an abbreviation of user interface. As for SoMoCo, personally it sounds weird, like a creole word, but stranger things have happened (Wii).

And about the design, I won't make any sexual reference but the huge ball on top of it is a bit overkill, couldn't they just do a light strip around it? Tech wise seems identical to the Wiimote with m+, with the added features of the camera detection.

It wasn't really a serious suggestion, I'm just tired of calling it the "Sony Motion Controller". They need to put a name on it.

The 'light bulb' does look a bit silly, but I believe it has to be a sphere for the depth tracking to work properly from any angle. If it were a strip then it would only be able to track your distance from the screen when pointing directly at it, so it would have to use guesswork if you were holding it like a sword/baseball bat/whatever.

No Daft. The motion controllers are all identical I think. Me and Dante were just suggesting that you'd have to use the DS3 analogue.

Got all excited there when really you should be deflated now for having impared vision. Or am I missing something?

I thought it was news since the post got edited and then pictures from the conference were added after. Either way, I'm too tired to give that much of a crap. I have no problem with my DS3.

I'm a bit miffed. It means I won't be able to use motion control with Resistance 3 in a years time! Or if it is used it will be a bit awkward.

I think a Ps nunchuck announcement is due. Though I like the idea of cheaping out.

I don't think normal controllers can be replaced. All of them have their unique advantages. Re5 is good news even if it's a simple wii like system.

IGN -

c_l1253800072_20.JPG

30cpohw.jpg

- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it will release a new Motion Controller (unofficial name) for PlayStation 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system in Spring 2010. The new controller, equipped with high-precision, highly accurate motion sensors, can deliver a whole new entertainment experience on PS3 when combined together with the PlayStation Eye camera(*1). Capable of recognizing and tracking a user's face and voice as well as body motion, PlayStation Eye can also output the player's image onto the TV screen. SCE will vigorously promote the expansion of this new experience only possible on the PS3 platform.

The newly announced Motion Controller is equipped with two motion sensors, three axes gyroscope and three axes accelerometer that can detect the controller's angle and movement held in the user's hand. Together with the PlayStation Eye camera for PS3 which can accurately track the absolute position of the controller, the controller can detect the natural and intuitive movement of the hand and reflect the precise movement on to the game. The sphere placed on the top of the controller is not only used to track the absolute position but can also give visual feedback to users by changing the colors or the illuminating patterns of the sphere.

Furthermore, the new controller is also equipped with a rumble feature, familiar to the PlayStation DUALSHOCK series controller, delivering an immersive gaming experience to users.

Further expanding the new experience on PS3, SCE Worldwide Studios will deliver many exciting software titles for the Motion Controller in 2010(*2). SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the software title line-up for the new Motion Controller and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

*Motion Controller is a tentative name.

*1 Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy Motion Controller on PS3.

*2 Please see below for software titles to be released in 2010.

I think a Ps nunchuck announcement is due. Though I like the idea of cheaping out.

I don't think normal controllers can be replaced. All of them have their unique advantages. Re5 is good news even if it's a simple wii like system.

It seems to me that Sony are rushing it out in Spring without nunchuck plans and leaving it with the DS.

Edit: Dante, can you put a source for this stuff please?

I got them from the IGN boards and the list is the RE5 - AE controls.

How to play Re5 - AE.

22hsw0.jpg

- D-Pad

- Left Anolog Stick

- Left shoulder buttons

- Face Buttons

- Anolog Trigger

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

You're right dwarf, it's just plain retarded. Are they in love with the DS3 that they can't let it go. Great concept, kinda ruined for games like this. Hopefully they get something better in the future.

would it really be that hard to make a nunchuk type device? if they don't want to resort to having the an analogue stick on the wand itself...it looks so clumsy.

Or perhaps are they unable to such a nunchuk and wand set up because of water tight patents and copyrights that Nintendo own? Not sure if that could be true but just an idea...

They had one with an analogue stick at E3. I'm guessing they're pushing this as an option so it isn't necessary to buy a second MoCo to play games. Which is actually a good idea. (Providing, this is what they're doing)

Daft it isn't happening.

The press must've messed it up by saying analogue stick instead of trigger. Or it has been redesigned. Either way its not happening son.

Only way to find out is to watch back on e3 coverage try to look at the prototype they used on stage.

It was on the PSBlog. The left one had an analogue stick. That's how the tank moved in the FP view.

I'm not 100% sure, but what i've heard is that Nintendo patented the nunchuck. So maybe that's why we get this home-made setup.

Has anyone grabbed there Dualshock3 and held it like the guy in that pic is? It's horrible having half the controller hang out your hand.

No thanks.

Has anyone grabbed there Dualshock3 and held it like the guy in that pic is? It's horrible having half the controller hang out your hand.

Unless you're demonstrating the game at TGS, I'm not sure why you'd be standing up whilst playing. If you rest the controller on your leg or in your lap it isn't that bad at all.

That said, the final design of the motion controller better have an analogue stick! Having one would open up so many different control schemes, and whilst it might be a bit weird moving and aiming with one hand I'm sure it would be easy enough to get used to. Otherwise I guess we'll just have wait on the inevitable third-party Nunchuk rip-off.