Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Retro_Link

Well played this today and still stick by what I've said before...its not for me...

I would primarly be playing this game as a single player experience and in that respect it really doesn't seem inspired. Me and mike played multiplayer together and had fun, but it was somewhat a mixed bags. Sometimes we would just bumble into each other and the way things work with regards to how you react to each other can be just plain frustrating making you feel like the multiplayer hook was almost an after thought or just an extra they thought they'd bung in. However other times when you expertly nudge someone to their death feels inspired and you think wow why hasn't this been in Mario before?!

Love that the Koopa kids are back though! Finally the level design didn't feel particularly inspired but standard fare...

Wow, those Edge guys really nailed it on the head then!

In their obsession with making it 3D, the art design went basic and horrible. Compare that to classic 2D Zelda with lovely details and gorgeous visuals like in the Minish Cap.

Excellent point, I think that is indeed the biggest "problem" with the game - the engine. It kept switching from sub-Wind Waker 3D to sub-Link to the Past 2.5D. When I landed on the islands and it changed to 2.5D, it completely took me out of my immersion.

Now Mario, on the other hand, has been brought into 2.5D much better than Zelda. It's not as charming as sprites, but they've done it very well, and it does basically feel the same to play.

I'm so glad I know you're joking.

Well... I actually just assume that you're joking because if not... well let's just say you should certainly check what you click next time or you may end up marrying a thai woman then accidentally sponsoring a child in afghanistan.

But that doesn't matter 'cause you are joking!

Right?

Yes.

So did you get to play the single player Flameboy? Was it as hard as people say or did you only play the first few levels?

you can bump them off ledges jump on them as they make jumps all sorts basically...to annoy and grief each other, sadly it can just as easily happen by accident.

that sounds tragic. I thought everyone would be invisible to each other if you get me like N+ multiplayer.

i didnt think about that. for competitiveness it sounds good but for coop...reminds me of the days of streets of rage wheres youd kill your partner for accidentally hitting you.

Well played this today and still stick by what I've said before...its not for me...

I would primarly be playing this game as a single player experience and in that respect it really doesn't seem inspired. Me and mike played multiplayer together and had fun, but it was somewhat a mixed bags. Sometimes we would just bumble into each other and the way things work with regards to how you react to each other can be just plain frustrating making you feel like the multiplayer hook was almost an after thought or just an extra they thought they'd bung in. However other times when you expertly nudge someone to their death feels inspired and you think wow why hasn't this been in Mario before?!

Love that the Koopa kids are back though! Finally the level design didn't feel particularly inspired but standard fare...

Yeah i agree with Flameboy with his mini review above. Me personally i will probably still get it at some point but i prob will be playing it by myself.

The whole nudging think was annoying, there was one of 2 times it looked good to get to a higher ledge, but say i jumped and flameboy jumped behind me, if he touched i would go falling to my death below...

Yes.

So did you get to play the single player Flameboy? Was it as hard as people say or did you only play the first few levels?

They had 10 levels that you can choose from a list and they seemed to be in a random order, but i could be wrong. From what i played i wouldn't say it looked any harder than any other mario bros game. I however did die alot but thats from flameboy who kept nudging me off the edge! lol

Edited by Mike1988uk

I've not seen any evidence that you bump into other characters in any of the trailers, so that's quite surprising.

We've played it trust me you bump into each other all the time...

Yeah i agree with Flameboy with his mini review above. Me personally i will probably still get it at some point but i prob will be playing it by myself.

The whole nudging think was annoying, there was one of 2 times it looked good to get to a higher ledge, but say i jumped and flameboy jumped behind me, if he touched i would go falling to my death below...

They had 10 levels that you can choose from a list and they seemed to be in a random order, but i could be wrong. From what i played i wouldn't say it looked any harder than any other mario bros game. I however did die alot but thats from flameboy who kept nudging me off the edge! lol

The only level that was slightly hard was the ice one but think that was more down to the slippery nature...things were easier when playing solo though or when you were on seperate parts of the screen but doing that slows down the pace, say you get to a jump you know will cause problems if you both go one has to stop and wait for the other to clear it...its a bit of a mare only exasperated by four players...

This is going to be so awesome!! This is the next best thing after 4 swords to play with friends. And I really like the tunes too.

Yes it does have that 4 swords vibe to it but I don't think it will have anywhere near the same potential gameplay wise and in terms of variety. Just my opinion...I'm currently slowly but surely writing my full hands on for my blog hope to get it up this weekend.

hi all, well i played new super mario bros wii yesterday for around 2 hours, i was in the britains best nintendo gamer grand finale , i didnt win but i had an amazing day and i got to meet the Legend Charles Martinet , such a nice guy and he was happy to do all the voices all day :)

http://img5.imageshack.us/i/dsij.jpg/

http://img5.imageshack.us/i/mariogalaxyb.jpg/

the game is brilliant, 4 player mode is an absolute blast, ill post a few pics and a bit more about it later if anyones interested, cheers

here is a vid of the game i found on youtube in action taken yesterday with charles martinet and ian lee level 1-1

you may see me on the nintendo channel, in the official magazine this is why

propeller2.jpgw489.png

i was there :) its such a fun game

Edited by yesteryeargames
Automerged Doublepost

Played it at the Eurogamer expo yesterday - it provided both my high and low point for the day. The game was undeniably fun, and was was favourite game at the show; the low was the general apathy most people at the show had towards it. There was no problems getting a chance on the demo as there were no queues, I heard people behind me during my three sessions dismissing it without even having a go, and one of the demo staff spent five minutes telling how great assassins creed 2 was and how everything else at the show was so much better. :(

Still I had fun so I guess that's all that matters!

We'll all find out soon. Have any of you played the single player game?

Played it at the Eurogamer expo yesterday - it provided both my high and low point for the day. The game was undeniably fun, and was was favourite game at the show; the low was the general apathy most people at the show had towards it. There was no problems getting a chance on the demo as there were no queues, I heard people behind me during my three sessions dismissing it without even having a go, and one of the demo staff spent five minutes telling how great assassins creed 2 was and how everything else at the show was so much better. :(

Still I had fun so I guess that's all that matters!

That's because people who *think* they're core gamers are morons.

We'll all find out soon. Have any of you played the single player game?

That's because people who *think* they're core gamers are morons.

I'd say thats a bit harsh. Pick a genre you don't like or can't get into, you'd walk past and dismiss it so to call people morons as such isn't fair. Granted you could be talking about people who are genuine idiots...

2D platformers on consoles just haven't been in the hardcore crowds psyche since the early 32bit and 8/16bit days. The only reason a 2D game will gain lavish praise from core gamers is if it 'looks' good. Muramasa for instance. LBP as another - even though that ended up being very cheap very quickly. NSMB doesn't look like it is doing anything over and beyond. Although under the hood it apparently is?!

I've been replaying the DS version as of late to build hype for this outing and even though it recycles some good old Mario from the 8 and especially 16 bit days, it has moments where it is exceptionally fresh. Some of the ideas in NSMB are sublime. Play it through and you may just be surprised.

I'm not surprised this is being slightly ignored as such. No doubt the single player mode will be one of the freshest experiences of the year. Mario in 2D always is.

That makes sense, especially when this is the generation in which the Nintendo Wii is the best selling console out of the three.

Oh no wait.

Yeah. That does make sense. I was at the Eurogamer Expo yesterday, myself, and when I went there, I did not see a bunch of 15 - 25 year olds all itching to play the HD releases, no. It was full of large families with their elders and children.. Ant and Dec was there too. But what confused me was they weren't playing any of the Wii titles.

Rather strange.

Im a BIG fan of 2D platformers but then im an old git who grew up with the genre. This month we get A Boy and His Blob, Muramasa and NSMBWii all exclusive on the Wii. Good times indeed.

Oh, one more thing, Super Princess Peach>>>>New Super Mario Bros, IMO. Its such a great game that many passed up because of the boxart and the fact you were a princess :D