Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

WWDC 2009

Caris

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the o2 site there is absolutely no mention of it and says current iPhone users should download 3.0 for new features. I don't think we're going to be able to get a nice and easy upgrade.

I'm pretty sure it was the same last year too until quite late on. They sent everyone out a text saying so or something.

I really don't see why they'd stop people upgrading as they're going to be getting a lot of money from people who are wanting to upgrade.

I really hope your right, I want a new one!

The problem is they can make more money by selling all of the 3GS models to new customers while still keeping all the 3G owners locked into contracts. I'll wait and see but at the moment I'm not confident.

I'm pretty sure it was the same last year too until quite late on. They sent everyone out a text saying so or something.

I really don't see why they'd stop people upgrading as they're going to be getting a lot of money from people who are wanting to upgrade.

It was quite a bizarre and costly move for them to make last year though. They didn't make a massive amount of money off the 2G really when you consider that most people got to upgrade after less than 9 months. Only way you'd see it again is if Apple were prepared to foot most of the bill to keep people locked in to the iPhone (read 'iTunes') format.

Edited by McPhee

Can't quite believe the prices. Thought they did really well last year in getting the prices down, and now they've jumped back up. I paid the same (£99) for my iPhone 3G last year as they are now charging for less! phone (8GB). I mean how does this work?

Just doesn't make sense.

Can't quite believe the prices. Thought they did really well last year in getting the prices down, and now they've jumped back up. I paid the same (£99) for my iPhone 3G last year as they are now charging for less! phone (8GB). I mean how does this work?

Just doesn't make sense.

They've lost their marbles. It works out at almost £54/month for the 32GB iPhone 3GS on an 18-month contract. I can't think of any other phone that can't be found for free on a £35/month contract. I understand that they want to charge a premium, but £19/month more than a Touch Pro 2? £24/month more than the HTC Magic? £29/month more (i.e. over double the price) of the T-Mobile G1? Get real...

I don't understand how apples products cycle is 12 months and they have an 18 month contract so when they release a new phone their main userbase cannot upgrade

It probably has more to do with the Phone companies. Apple has had to make a few compromises with some of the companies I'm sure.

---------------

I was running the Safari 4 Beta up until today, when I installed the final version.

I'm rather glad they put the tabs back where they should be.

My Congrats goes to o2 who have single handedly pissed off every single iPhone 3G user.

They couldnt careless about there customers and i hope they learn the hard way when sales of the 3Gs are no where near as good as they should be because they wanna charge heven and earth if you wanna upgrade

Looks the new macbook's cost more for entry.

No they don't, all there Macbook line got speed bumps and price drops.

Apple isn't the problem here, there actually on the ball.

o2 is the problem.

Yet they're still gaining market share.

Wont last forever when theres less and less money arround

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/the-iphone-killer-isn-t-a-rival-handset-it-s-o2-606764

"The iPhone killer isn't a rival handset - it's O2"

"The iPhone is first and foremost a luxury product, and yet O2 is betting that in the middle of a recession it can bring in enough new customers that existing ones won't matter.

If it's wrong, Apple might just discover that the "iPhone killer" isn't another handset: it's one of its business partners."

Edited by Nintenchris

Hmmm, the white mac book now actually looks quite appealing. I was thinking of getting a mini for university as I thought it would be better value as I didn't really need the portability but the specs actually seem considerably better on the macbook for not so much more money. Plus I wouldn't have to go and buy a new keyboard and mouse. I'm not too great at reading into specifications, can anyone confirm which is the better computer out of the macbook and the mac mini? Also if anyone from University thinks having the portability of a laptop will be better for me? Thanks in advance for any answers on this - thought I would just type here as a new thread seemed unneccessary.

Hmmm, the white mac book now actually looks quite appealing. I was thinking of getting a mini for university as I thought it would be better value as I didn't really need the portability but the specs actually seem considerably better on the macbook for not so much more money. Plus I wouldn't have to go and buy a new keyboard and mouse. I'm not too great at reading into specifications, can anyone confirm which is the better computer out of the macbook and the mac mini? Also if anyone from University thinks having the portability of a laptop will be better for me? Thanks in advance for any answers on this - thought I would just type here as a new thread seemed unneccessary.

Get a laptop. So much better than having a desktop IMO.

The amount of times I've taken mine to lectures, used it up in the library etc.

During exam time if you're in the library all the computers are really busy and you don't want to risk not being able to use one.

I agree with Charlie. If you're anything like me and my friends you'll be constantly moving your laptop around, to the library, to lectures, or to other people's rooms to work or play music or whatever. Desktops are just annoying at uni tbh.

Also I'm hoping they announce a price drop of iMacs at some point soon, I'm more interested in them than Macbooks right now as I already have a Macbook and I want a desktop for when I finish Uni!

Cheers, that's helped quite a lot. What about the Macbook as a computer itself then? Any good?

I've had a couple of problems with mine, that being a flickering screen and the case has cracked around the arm rest on the right. The crack isn't a big deal, but the flickering is annoying at times. Overall though they're really fast computers, and a joy to use. I will certainly be upgrading to a new one next year when this one will be 4 years old. It's pretty good that after 3 years this one doesn't feel out of date, and if it wasn't for the screen occasionally going weird I wouldn't even be considering a new one.

Main pluses for me are; looks, speed of start up and shut down, closing the lid straight away puts it to sleep, and opening it straight away wakes it up (no annoying hibernation!), the keyboard, a slot loading drive, and the track pad feeling much nicer to use than any other manufacturers laptops.

I wouldn't touch a Mac Mini with a barge pole, there can't be many things in life that are more of a rip-off. I could put together a smaller, faster Windows machine for less than that. Heck, i could probably do two for the price of the 320GB model. Might sound like a bit of a rant, but i genuinely never realised they were that much until I went to take a look just now.

The Mac Books are pretty nice though, definitely worth a buy. Supposed to be some of the best built laptops you can get and certainly better than most stuff in the price range.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!