NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Arragaun

Who else finds it difficult to get a job?

Okay, so I've applied to at least ten million shops over the last year and a half and I've not had one bit of a phone call off any of them. What's my problem, is it because I'm a student? No, most of my student friends have jobs, so that isn't it. Is it because I'm male, and I can't bat my eyelids at the managers? No, half my student friends with jobs are male.

So does anybody else have the same problem as me?

This thread is also open to people willing to give me magic tips and tricks to help me along my way...

I've applied for a job at the local co-op. I was told they desperately needed staff, I got a good word in abuot me from one of the staff there - not even a phone call back from them :(

Ironically i've been trying to get out of a shop job and into something proper and permenant. I've been applying for loads of jobs but still to no avail. It's probably due to lack of full-time job experience rather than my educational achievements. All you can do is keep trying and don't take rejection personally, if the managers of these companies are anything like at my current place of work they don't know their arse from their elbow... quite literally.

Ive never really had a problem, but saying that ive only ever had 2 jobs. One was a part time job when i was at college which i got straight away with no problems at all. The other is my current full time job which ive had for over 2 and half years now.

I start a new job Monday and i couldnt be any less excited.

What kills me, is this 'hiring process' i had to go through which took a whole month to complete. Ive been to the workplace 5 times and havent actually worked yet.

1st time- orientation

2nd time-skills tests to gauge whether or not im a dumbass

3rd time-an actual interview with a manager

4th time-another interview with another manager

5th time-a 3rd interview and then they sent me to get a physical

What happened to filling out an application and then starting the next day?????

What happened to filling out an application and then starting the next day?????

Yeah what did happen to that, in fact, when did it ever exist. Clearly for some people it does, why they get all the luck I don't know. Makes me pretty resentful to be honest.

My problem is that I'm far too lazy and get stuck in a rut of not being arsed...

been quite a damn while since i last worked (end of sept), now i've just settled for temping for a bit... poop but I sure need the money!

Been looking for a job for ages, have had no luck. Finding a job sucks.

Having a job sucks too, its lose-lose!

To Arragaun, if you have alot of friends with jobs, get one of them to recommend you. Alot of companies will get employees to find new help instead of putting up help-wanted ads.

Also check the obituaries for freshly available jobs. Morbid, yes, but you gotta eat too.

Apply to be a grave digger. All the excersize you could want and the chance to comfort female relatives of the departed. Easy to take a nap too.

Okay, so I've applied to at least ten million shops over the last year and a half and I've not had one bit of a phone call off any of them. What's my problem, is it because I'm a student? No, most of my student friends have jobs, so that isn't it. Is it because I'm male, and I can't bat my eyelids at the managers? No, half my student friends with jobs are male.

So does anybody else have the same problem as me?

This thread is also open to people willing to give me magic tips and tricks to help me along my way...

it'd help if you wore deodorant every once in a while :wink:

I have an easy(ish) job. Its just down the road and the hours are really good.

BUT (theres allways a 'but' with anything good)

I get £3.50 an HOUR. Not cool.

I have an easy(ish) job. Its just down the road and the hours are really good.

BUT (theres allways a 'but' with anything good)

I get £3.50 an HOUR. Not cool.

jeez thats bad! the first job i got took me a whole year to get, i was really begining to lose hope. i got paid 4.10 an hour (min wage me being 18)

When you get a job you will be cursing the day you did, thats what happened to me :heh: My job was flippin slave labour, no one else ever did any work.

Now i work in an office, the job is hard, but we all work as a team, and i now get paid 5.20 an hour which is a lot better.

Dont lose hope, youll get employed eventually.

I don't have a job anymore [being at Uni (Which I'm considering dropping out of)] since I left Sainsbury's, but they're begging to know when I'm coming back for the holidays. Because I'm such a good worker.

I left my job on friday. I was lucky enough to be able to fill out a form then start the next day, very rare indeed. But before that i was unemployed for ages and never heard back from half the jobs i sent for. I'm not looking forward to going through all that again but i suppose that's my punishment for leaving this job (where i was miserable).

I'm more or less in the same position as you. Spent the last six months looking for a job, but no luck so far. Personally, I blame it on my age, or that I apply to large co-operation, but, y'know. We'll both get one in the end, if we believe.

I have trouble keeping jobs but there are good things about unemployment such as job seekers and trisha!

It also helps if ure grandad knows the manager and can get u the job. And i know it might sound prejudiced, if u turn up for an interview clean, repectable and calm (don't be weird) it does tend to impress the manager more despite equal rights and everything

I had trouble finding a job, but I found that temp agencys are a good way to find work :).

Having a job sucks too, its lose-lose!

I love my job.

But anyway. I had trouble finding my first job, was looking for months. Since then I've gotten jobs through friends. I could throw you some cliches such as "perserverance is vital" but im sure you'd much rather have a job then a load of cliches.

I had trouble finding a job, but I found that temp agencys are a good way to find work :).

I definately agree with that, no interviews - happy days! thats how i got the job i'm in :heh:

it'd help if you wore deodorant every once in a while :wink:

I cried at that...Not really :wink:

What are these temp agencies that people have mentioned then?

Try and get a job at Pizza Express, i tell ya, its the best job a student could have. Hours are flexible and mostly evening shifts which gives you the day to work or chill, you can get your shifts changed (hopefully) if people are free, you just say 'hey, do you wana do my shift saturday' and hey presto. But, the best part is, tips! Ive made £120 in 2 days. And thats on top of my pay, which ok, is minimum wage £5 an hour i think, but i rarely even have to use my account as ive always got cash in hand! Its awesome. Made £40 today on a 5 hour shift so, £5 an hour + 40/5 = 8 so an extra £8 an hour, put them together, im on £13 an hour, woohoo!

Waitering is the way forward.

Try and get a job at Pizza Express, i tell ya, its the best job a student could have. Hours are flexible and mostly evening shifts which gives you the day to work or chill, you can get your shifts changed (hopefully) if people are free, you just say 'hey, do you wana do my shift saturday' and hey presto. But, the best part is, tips! Ive made £120 in 2 days. And thats on top of my pay, which ok, is minimum wage £5 an hour i think, but i rarely even have to use my account as ive always got cash in hand! Its awesome. Made £40 today on a 5 hour shift so, £5 an hour + 40/5 = 8 so an extra £8 an hour, put them together, im on £13 an hour, woohoo!

Waitering is the way forward.

Yeah my friends all worked in mcdonalds and it was similar to that, part from the good pay, it was min wage. Staff meals wtf!

I have a job, or should I say, I work freelance. I have to find new "jobs" all the time, working in Flash, and wanting to work with animation/ drawing is hard. But hey, I've already completed one animation, one logo, and I'm working on an e-learning program now. I just wish I could be full time eployed a place where somebody needed my kind of art. It's only been 6 months since I left school, though...

Sign in to follow this