N-Europe

3DS eShop Thread

darksnowman

I may be being dumb, but how could this system be gamed by customers? If you have the transaction ID and also the 3DS code it should be pretty straightforward for them to trigger the registration on the Club Nintendo database.

They might have the transaction ID, but they have no way of knowing that you owned that specific 3DS console that was used to download those games (and no, they couldn't just use the 3DS' serial number because it's very possible that multiple people could've owned that console over its lifetime, so it can't be used to identify a specific individual owner).

Making it retroactive would allow people to create swapping circles, where people share their CN account details across multiple consoles and net all of the rewards without paying a penny. By limiting it to only being registered on your CN account while the 3DS shop account and Club Nintendo account are linked, it acts as a guarantee that you were the individual who purchased those games - and thus are entitled to the promotion/CN stars.

Are they being super careful due to the current promotions? Hopefully they'll ease up once the promotions end since Nintendo's eShop policies are broken and I'd really like a record of my digital purchases on my Club Nintendo account.

Nah, this has always been their standard practice, long before this promotion started. Nothing to do with the current promotion.

Edited by Dcubed

They might have the transaction ID, but they have no way of knowing that you owned that specific 3DS console that was used to download those games (and no, they couldn't just use the 3DS' serial number because it's very possible that multiple people could've owned that console over its lifetime, so it can't be used to identify a specific individual owner).

Making it retroactive would allow people to create swapping circles, where people share their CN account details across multiple consoles and net all of the rewards without paying a penny. By limiting it to only being registered on your CN account while the 3DS shop account and Club Nintendo account are linked, it acts as a guarantee that you were the individual who purchased those games - and thus are entitled to the promotion/CN stars).

That makes a lot of sense now you outline it like that. The 3DS needs an account service for the eShop real soon.

That makes a lot of sense now you outline it like that. The 3DS needs an account service for the eShop real soon.

The problem isn't really so much the lack of an account (cause the same issue applies to the Wii U), but the fact that your Club Nintendo account is seperate from your NNID/3DS eShop Account.

What they really need to do is integrate Club Nintendo into the Nintendo ID Account and just have you log into the Club Nintendo website using your NNID. Hopefully they'll do that once NNID comes to 3DS (making the separation no longer necessary going onwards :) )

The problem isn't really so much the lack of an account (cause the same issue applies to the Wii U), but the fact that your Club Nintendo account is seperate from your NNID/3DS eShop Account.

What they really need to do is integrate Club Nintendo into the Nintendo ID Account and just have you log into the Club Nintendo website using your NNID. Hopefully they'll do that once NNID comes to 3DS (making the separation no longer necessary going onwards :) )

That would be an acceptable fix. Just merge everything into the Nintendo ID and everything is good to go.

I'm just thinking more about the reason they can't retroactively register games for people when they contact them - this doesn't concern it being a system function or anything like that. This is all built around someone in our situation contacting them having purchased before linking the 3DS/account.

If the transaction ID is unique and it was already registered to an account... surely they'd just see that someone was giving them "registered" transaction ID on the system to game them and say no?

"Sorry, that digital purchase was already registered on a Club Nintendo account on XX/XX/XX and the player received the stars."

For this scenario I'm assuming eShop purchases are logged on their internal database for referencing. They're legally obligated to maintain a record of these purchases. The purchase should be logged in their database with the provided transaction ID and I assume something happens to log a line for Club Nintendo registration at the time of purchase.

Of course if the Club Nintendo account is not linked, the transaction/purchase is still recorded but no entry is trigged for Club Nintendo registration.

So... if a registration on Club Nintendo already correlates with a particular transaction ID entry, no duplicate registration should be possible and Nintendo would say no to whoever was trying to game them. If someone contacts them with a new legit transaction ID and no Club Nintendo registration tied to it... they should, IN THEORY, be able to trigger it for customers. Especially as a one time action for people who dun goofed.

I'm sure they also know when a system transfer has been performed, since the transfer requires a connection to the Internet at some points. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a system transfer log table in their database for logging all the transfer to/from dates for each system serial number. Probably how they police the time limits imposed on too many transfers in a short period.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Edited by Guy

That would be an acceptable fix. Just merge everything into the Nintendo ID and everything is good to go.

I'm just thinking more about the reason they can't retroactively register games for people when they contact them - this doesn't concern it being a system function or anything like that. This is all built around someone in our situation contacting them having purchased before linking the 3DS/account.

If the transaction ID is unique and it was already registered to an account... surely they'd just see that someone was giving them "registered" transaction ID on the system to game them and say no?

"Sorry, that digital purchase was already registered on a Club Nintendo account on XX/XX/XX and the player received the stars."

For this scenario I'm assuming eShop purchases are logged on their internal database for referencing. They're legally obligated to maintain a record of these purchases. The purchase should be logged in their database with the provided transaction ID and I assume something happens to log a line for Club Nintendo registration at the time of purchase.

Of course if the Club Nintendo account is not linked, the transaction/purchase is still recorded but no entry is trigged for Club Nintendo registration.

So... if a registration on Club Nintendo already correlates with a particular transaction ID entry, no duplicate registration should be possible and Nintendo would say no to whoever was trying to game them. If someone contacts them with a new legit transaction ID and no Club Nintendo registration tied to it... they should, IN THEORY, be able to trigger it for customers. Especially as a one time action for people who dun goofed.

I'm sure they also know when a system transfer has been performed, since the transfer requires a connection to the Internet at some points. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a system transfer log table in their database for logging all the transfer to/from dates for each system serial number. Probably how they police the time limits imposed on too many transfers in a short period.

Sorry for the wall of text.

How would they know that this transaction ID is your purchase though? If there was no Club Nintendo assigned to the console at the time of purchase, what would stop someone from going out, stealing someone's 3DS (or maybe buying a 2nd hand one) and claiming all of those unclaimed stars/CN registrations for themselves?

The problem is that there's no way to identify the individual who made that purchase. They can see what 3DS was used to make the purchase and when it was done, but they can't identify who made the purchase without having that CN link in place at the time the purchase was made.

Edited by Dcubed

How would they know that this transaction ID is your purchase though? If there was no Club Nintendo assigned to the console at the time of purchase, what would stop someone from going out, stealing someone's 3DS (or maybe buying a 2nd hand one) and claiming all of those unclaimed stars/CN registrations for themselves?

The problem is that there's no way to identify the individual who made that purchase. They can see what 3DS was used to make the purchase and when it was done, but they can't identify who made the purchase without having that CN link in place at the time the purchase was made.

Surely they can verify the individual who made the purchase by running my bank card details through their payment system and acknowledging funds were added to my account that were used to purchase the game.

In situations where an eShop code was purchased from GAME or a points card was used, they can review the purchase receipt and make a judgement call. Customer service teams do this kind of thing all the time.

None of this is even that complicated. They clearly have the tools to trace purchases like this.

Edited by Guy

Surely they can verify the individual who made the purchase by running my bank card details through their payment system and acknowledging funds were added to my account that were used to purchase the game.

In situations where an eShop code was purchased from GAME or a points card was added, they can review the purchase receipt and connect the dots.

None of this is even that complicated. They clearly have the tools to trace purchases like this.

Hmm, in that case, it may well be possible then. Why not give it a go and tell them to check for your card details?

Edited by Dcubed

Hmm, in that case, it may well be possible then. Why not give it a go and tell them to check for your card details?

I would but I don't think they're worried about it being fraud, I think it's just a policy thing and the cynic in me thinks its to push people into buying more games to be eligible for the promotion.

I was really hoping Nintendo would make an allowance for the sake of good customer relations, but they seem pretty rigid in this decision. Both times I contacted them they said the order not to do it was from head office and immediately fell back on the terms and conditions.

I am defeat.

Edited by Guy

I would but I don't think they're worried about it being fraud, I think it's just a policy thing and the cynic in me thinks its to push people into buying more games to be eligible for the promotion.

I was really hoping Nintendo would make an allowance for the sake of good customer relations, but they seem pretty rigid in this decision. Both times I contacted them they said the order not to do it was from head office and immediately fell back on the terms and conditions.

I am defeat.

Damnit. Will still attempt to convey my frustrations with them in a constructive manner. Thing is, we're generally speaking to staffers who aren't decision makers. We need a hotline to Iwata's desk!

Damnit. Will still attempt to convey my frustrations with them in a constructive manner. Thing is, we're generally speaking to staffers who aren't decision makers. We need a hotline to Iwata's desk!

Nintendo used to be happy to register games that were purchased before linking, but that seems to have changed quite recently. A few people received the same terms and conditions brick wall we did.

Probably changed around the same time the new promotion showed up. I hate how cynical I'm being with this, but it just reeks of a ploy to shake more money out of fans.

To be fair, if that wasn't in place, the system could be very easily abused to hell. You could just keep putting your CN account on your friends systems and retroactively add all of their purchased games to your account without paying anything.

It sucks, but it's not hard to see why they put that limitation in there...

Yeah I guess so you'd like to think they'd have systems in place to stop such abuse. Like how Sony only allows a PSN account to be on so many systems.Then again this is Nintendo.

@tapedeck I wouldn't give up hope there is clearly some way they do it. I remember when my Wii broke and they said everything registered online via Club Nintendo and they sorted it out somehow.

Yeah, they're pretty late today...

I would hope that this would be a sign that they're looking to release some good stuff this week, but I know better than to get my hopes up :( (last week's 3DS haul was pretty good, so I'm sure they'll make up for it with a crap round this week...)

Well, there's Mighty Switch Force 2 on Thursday, isn't there?

Ahh true, forgot about that. Well I guess 3DS at least has one good game coming this week. Wii U on the other hand... (I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Game & Wario and nothing else)

This week in Europe

3DS

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger

Mighty Switch Force! 2 €5.00 (£5.00)

PROJECT X ZONE: Dark Hours Demo

Aqua Moto Racing 3D €9.99 (£8.99)

URBAN TRIAL FREESTYLE™ Special offer until 4/7/13 (23:59 CEST): €5.99 (£4.99). Regular price will be €6.99 (£6.29)

3D MahJongg €9.99 (£9.79)

Mon Haras 3D – Au gallop vers l’aventure €39.99 (Non UK?)

3DS VC

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GameGear) €4.99(£4.49)

Crystal Warriors €3.99(£3.59)

This week in Europe

3DS

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger

Mighty Switch Force! 2 €5.00 (£5.00)

PROJECT X ZONE: Dark Hours Demo

Aqua Moto Racing 3D €9.99 (£8.99)

URBAN TRIAL FREESTYLE™ Special offer until 4/7/13 (23:59 CEST): €5.99 (£4.99). Regular price will be €6.99 (£6.29)

3D MahJongg €9.99 (£9.79)

Mon Haras 3D – Au gallop vers l’aventure €39.99 (Non UK?)

3DS VC

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GameGear) €4.99(£4.49)

Crystal Warriors €3.99(£3.59)

YES! Get in there! :bouncy:

Very happy with this week's 3DS lineup! :D

BTW, Dillon's RW2 is on special offer for its launch...

Dillon’s Rolling Western: The Last Ranger on June 27th in Europe. It will be available for 30% off (€6.99 / £6.29, from €9.99 / £8.99) from launch until 4th July (23:59 local time).
Edited by Dcubed

What are the chances of seeing SNES titles on the 3DS VC? I think it's unbelievable that a system that is as far as I know completely capable of running those games don't have them, I mean c'mon, only NES titles? I'd love to play games like Megaman X and Super Metroid on a handheld. :( Has Nintendo officially ruled out this possibility? Or in case the 3DS and Wii U got an unified account system then maybe games could be played on both consoles?

I bought it. I don't think it was very good.

I bought it and thought it was actually quite good myself. Nowhere near as good as the best of the NES entries, but pretty good in its own right.

From my understanding, it's the sequel after this one that's meant to be terrible.

What are the chances of seeing SNES titles on the 3DS VC? I think it's unbelievable that a system that is as far as I know completely capable of running those games don't have them, I mean c'mon, only NES titles? I'd love to play games like Megaman X and Super Metroid on a handheld. :( Has Nintendo officially ruled out this possibility? Or in case the 3DS and Wii U got an unified account system then maybe games could be played on both consoles?

I feel like Nintendo have kind of abandoned Virtual Console in pursuit of offering original titles. It just feels like they are not as bothered about populating it on either system like they were when Wii was first released.