NEurope
Eenuh

Earth Hour - 8:30PM

My flatmate is the same.

I can categorically say I won't be doing this as the football will be on at the same time.

Good idea though.

Can you not just turn lights off? I've got switches for all plugs in individual rooms and upstairs and downstairs lights I think.

Spending money on electricity isn't fun. I'd much rather save some money and be able to spend it on fun things. Therefore I try and keep as many lights off as possible and use energy saving light bulbs where possible.

I have far better things to do than turn the lights off for an hour to "symbolise" shit.

Great idea. Love those pics. I will be out tonight though and i doubt the pubs and clubs will partipate. Be cool if they do, but i guess i wont be able to do my part. I'll tell the folks at home to do it though.

I'll turn my lights off, but I'll make a few high powered explosions like you see in the movies.

I guess not many people are up for this then. Though I don't get why you would need your lights on to watch tv or work on the computer, since those things emit light themselves.

Plus there's always candles. =P

Though I don't get why you would need your lights on to watch tv or work on the computer, since those things emit light themselves.

It's apparently unhealthy.

I won't be doing because I don't think we really have much impact on the climate - our power is insignificant compared to forces of nature.

Well i'm sitting here in the dark as it is :P I'm supposed to be out then, so I'll ask the restaurant to turn off the lights :|

I don't know why people are so resistant to turning the lights off for an hour, even if they don't 'believe' in it. I don't really care about my birthday — you might say I don't 'believe' in them — but if it means something to someone else then I'm still going to say "happy birthday" to them.

I think I'll just lie on my bed in the dark and listen to 'Með Suð à Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust' as it's 55 minutes long. Hell, I'd suggest people do that anyway, Earth Hour or not.

I guess not many people are up for this then. Though I don't get why you would need your lights on to watch tv or work on the computer, since those things emit light themselves.

Plus there's always candles. =P

I guess I'm energy saving then, because I almost always sit in the dark just with the glow of my screen

I have far better things to do than turn the lights off for an hour to "symbolise" shit.

I bet you don't.

Well we just turned off all the lights in our house and lit up quite some candles. About 15 minutes early but that doesn't matter, haha. Happy to see my parents participating in this as well. =)

Although I do feel strongly about stopping climate change and all that. All this will really do is delay it for less than an hour. I guess its kinda symbolic though. I generally turn all the lights off anyway though.

Think about what Jack Bauer can do in just one hour. Then imagine Al Gore fighting eco-terrorists and saving the world in that extra hour, and you've got one brilliant idea for an international event.

I think I'll just lie on my bed in the dark and listen to 'Með Suð à Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust' as it's 55 minutes long. Hell, I'd suggest people do that anyway, Earth Hour or not.

A suggestion that gives off brilliant light.

Two things that people have over-looked with this "Earth Hour". For a start off, once it's over, and everyone turns their electric applications on again, the amount of electricity used will be similar or equal to the energy saved, and the tension peaks caused by a good billion people turning on thousands of billions of electric goods will be astronomical.

Two things that people have over-looked with this "Earth Hour". For a start off, once it's over, and everyone turns their electric applications on again, the amount of electricity used will be similar or equal to the energy saved, and the tension peaks caused by a good billion people turning on thousands of billions of electric goods will be astronomical.

...destroying the universe as we know it.

Not really. It's not like it's one billion people turning off/on everything at the same time (different time zones and all). Plus it's only lights that are being turned off, not every electrical appliance.

And here at home we're planning on just leaving the lights off tonight altogether, as there's really no reason to turn them all back on again. These candles work just fineeee.

Don't know why people are so reluctant to do this?

Not a big ask is it.

Don't know why people are so reluctant to do this?

Not a big ask is it.

People just like to be anti-everything these days. =P

Especially if it's for something that is meant to do good, but more in a symbolic way. They don't like things that don't benefit them directly I guess, heh.