Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Evolution of visual mediaings

EEVILMURRAY

Guest Jordan

UHD is madness. Its at least 10 years off, it took 10 years for HD to take off anyway.

I have a couple of Blu Ray's. It does look extremely good on a nice sized HDTV. I'm all for progress, but right now HD isn't going to take off until it drastically comes down in price (or there's another world cup).

As soon as you can buy a good HDTV (lets say "34 ) for about £2-300 Blu Ray will become standard issue. I have a "32 and DVDs on that look...alright. I guess Blu Ray would look sweet as fuck but I don't buy many DVDs even.

Best bit of kit I have atm is my 360. Cranking Halo 3 'Tsavo Highway' yesterday was bloody gorgeous :)

Should be noted that this isn't to scale.

But, do we really need even higher resolutions?

To be honest in some cases it's hardly noticeable. Photos taken on whatever megapixel camera practically look the same when compressed to fit the screen.

But, do we really need even higher resolutions?

The only reason I'd want higher resolutions would be if 21:9 TVs (2560 x 1080) took off, just so the data exactly matches the TV.

Another reason might be if 3DTV took off. I think I read that because it renders two images, it sort of halves the quality of 1080p.

Nami recently read about this - all movies are being filmed this way from now on, apparantly! I'll ask her to post on here...
I think that's what James Cameron predicts, not what's definitely going to happen. But it's certainly a bigger push forward than HD, which to me isn't that big a deal (I don't see much difference, nor care for one, between blu-ray and DVD)

I do think it's intriguing, and I DO wonder where it'll go next. I always have that though, I'm not much of a new ideas man, I just rinse out the old ones and get them for all their worth, we move forward with some things too fast. Gaming, I'm keen to see where THAT goes next. Music, well, where CAN it go next? Online/downloading to keep it worth the monies, really.

Problem with Blu-Ray, is that unlike Analogue to Digital TV, VHS to DVD, Phono Audio to Cassette Audio to CD Audio etc, is that it's not as simple as just buying one new thing to hook up to your already existing system, which is rather gay. Those one new things have already always been expensive as it is, but to also have to get a HD TV to go with it, bahhh! MONIES! So yeah, as people said, this shit ain't gonna take off proper til prices fall properly.

As for Blu-Ray, not really seen or experienced it, but I don't see its neccessity really, it was just a good/last desperate move by Sony to probably find a way to stay afloat, and I hate Sony. They've been trying for ages to make the 'new' format in order to mint themselves out, now the fuckers have finally succeeded. I'd've prefered HD-DVD, why didn't it win anyway?

I do think it's intriguing, and I DO wonder where it'll go next. I always have that though, I'm not much of a new ideas man, I just rinse out the old ones and get them for all their worth, we move forward with some things too fast. Gaming, I'm keen to see where THAT goes next. Music, well, where CAN it go next? Online/downloading to keep it worth the monies, really.

Problem with Blu-Ray, is that unlike Analogue to Digital TV, VHS to DVD, Phono Audio to Cassette Audio to CD Audio etc, is that it's not as simple as just buying one new thing to hook up to your already existing system, which is rather gay. Those one new things have already always been expensive as it is, but to also have to get a HD TV to go with it, bahhh! MONIES! So yeah, as people said, this shit ain't gonna take off proper til prices fall properly.

As for Blu-Ray, not really seen or experienced it, but I don't see its neccessity really, it was just a good/last desperate move by Sony to probably find a way to stay afloat, and I hate Sony. They've been trying for ages to make the 'new' format in order to mint themselves out, now the fuckers have finally succeeded. I'd've prefered HD-DVD, why didn't it win anyway?

I feel that, plus I've seen HD, to be honest, I don't see the point... I get the fact that Indiana Jones doesn't shave properly, but bragging that by spending an extra whatever quid I can see the individual hairs... to be honest, I don't give a shit.

Hey guys I'm rich, what up poor people

Not my point. All I'm saying is before people go complaining about blu-ray being useless. There are quite a few people who have 40+ inch TVs where blu-ray does make a difference.

And the only reason its better than going to the cinema is there aren't people kicking the back of your seat, its not blurry 50% of the time, ect.

Very good point. DVD was finally giving us a perfect image quality for our SD TVs. Same goes for the last-gen consoles (Dreamcast to Xbox). Here, we finally had machines that matched the resolution of our TVs!

However, I think HDTVs are cheap enough now. I can't see a decent 26" ever falling below £400, as that's always what a good 28" SD TV cost. When BluRay players become £100, they will really take off (if they're ever going to).

I'm very, very tempted to get an HDTV, but for me it's a compatibility issue. I mostly use my GameCube, PS2 and Freeview box and I want to get a Wii this year, so an HDTV is a "couple of years time" thing for me.

The interesting thing is, HDTVs themselves have taken off in a big way - they seem to have been the only thing you can buy for the past three years at least - however, there's still not a great deal of content. BluRay seems to be taking off, albeit slowly, and it seems HD broadcasts are just getting started.

I'd've prefered HD-DVD, why didn't it win anyway?

Poor marketing/lack of consumer demand meant it didn't get the necessary foothold. Plus, the studios were divided in which format they supported. You could literally get some films only on BluRay and others only on HD-DVD. When HD-DVD didn't make a big enough impact, the studios decided the market couldn't support a format war, and got behind BluRay in the hope that at least one of them would take off.

Not my point. All I'm saying is before people go complaining about blu-ray being useless. There are quite a few people who have 40+ inch TVs where blu-ray does make a difference.

Yeah, I didn't think you were boasting. At those sizes, SD looks pretty poor, upscaled SD is OK and BluRay looks significantly better.