NEurope
Dante

Mass Effect 2

GT Review - 9.7

0-2 mins contains some story spoilers, 2mins-3mins is what happens if you carry over from game 1, the rest should be fine to watch. Looks like they've delievered a great game!!

Edited by Retro_Link

I just want to say Ashley Williams is a bitch. I have never detested a character so much.

Thankfully I don't think her charred corpse will be bothering me too much in the sequel.

Edited by Daft

I kept her alive so that I could piss her off by turning her down and having sex with the alien woman instead. Spiteful, me? Never.

You know there's that bit where the ugly toad dude is getting pissed. I was trying to calm him down, because I think he rocks. Ashley, the bitch, shoots him in the back of the head!! I mean WTF?!!!?!

When you get the choice to send her to her death I was annoyed there wasn't an option to call her a worthless bitch and to f*ck right of "You slaaaaaaaaaag!".

I'm playing through again now and on the Citadel, one of the things she says is "I can't tell the difference between aliens and animals." Uuurm, why can't I tell her to shut the f*ck up!?

ashley1.jpg

Bitch.

Oh god, Wrex was awesome. I managed to keep him live on my original playthrough, I hope he's back in a big way for the sequel. I'm not totally feeling this new Krogan guy somehow. Maybe just because he feels like a replacement for a superior product. :heh:

I haven't read anything at all about ME2 so everything should be a nice surprise.

I haven't read anything at all about ME2 so everything should be a nice surprise.

Its nice to see you back on LIVE again. Its been a while (I think it was over 150 days the last time you signed in. Not that I stalk you or anything, I just tend to notice these things)

Anyway, ME2, I don't think its for me. I didn't really enjoy the first one, although the reviews its been getting point to a masterpiece.....

Over 6 months, I think.

I'm going to try and play my 360 more. I loved it once, there's no reason why I can't again. :heh:

Having said that, with all my multiplats on the PS3 it makes things trickier.

Anyway, ME2, I don't think its for me. I didn't really enjoy the first one, although the reviews its been getting point to a masterpiece.....

What was it about the first that you didn't like? My main gripes were that it was a technical mess and that the combat was complete bobbins, both of which are apparently no longer concerns. If you didn't like the universe and conversation system it probably would be best to stay away, though.

What was it about the first that you didn't like? My main gripes were that it was a technical mess and that the combat was complete bobbins, both of which are apparently no longer concerns. If you didn't like the universe and conversation system it probably would be best to stay away, though.

^That, clunky combat and the framerate was a joke. I quite liked the story and conversation system, particularly the branching storyline. But, it made my eyes bleed.

If Bioware have sorted the issues, then it will be a buy. I have not really been keeping up with the development due to not getting on with the first one, I had no interest in it. So hype is at zero. Maybe thats a good thing.....

Have they sorted out the conversation system so it was like it was when they showed it at E3? With interrupting and all?

Didn't actually realise the second had come out. I thought it was next week or sommit. I'll wait to complete the first one again at any rate.

The inventory screen is really confusing me. I don't remember it being so.

Just got my e-mail saying it has been dispatched from GAME! Knowing my luck it wont turn up till friday...

Just got my e-mail saying it has been dispatched from GAME! Knowing my luck it wont turn up till friday...

Same here. You actually think it'd arrive tomorrow? That'd be very awesome.

I almost don't want mine to arrive 'till Saturday, then I can just grab it and throw it in first thing in the morning and settle down to it without the knowledge of work bearing down on me in a few hours. :heh:

Playing the first one now and my view of it still hasn't changed. I think it's rushed and awkward.

They've had plenty of time on ME2 though so things are looking good.

It certainly felt rushed, lacked a certain polish, but the characters and story made up for that for me. And those awesome physics-bending biotic abilities :)

Edit: My copy shipped today! So I should be playing this by 6pm tomorrow. Excited, to say the least.

Edited by Shorty

I like the idea of the story but I felt the pacing was/is so off. Partly why I feel it was rushed. Also, whereas KOTOR took me over 30 hours, I completed ME in 11... It took me longer to complete Uncharted 2. Now I realise the reason why I rushed it, although that isn't what I attempted to do at all, was because the main story was so slow and I wanted more to happen. Anyway, good game but just needed more time.

Also, not being able to use assault rifles really annoys me. Yeah, I know my shotgun can kill everything in pretty much one hit but I'm a bit bored now.

ME2 should definitely be a lot better. Look forward to moving onto it after I've finished the first again. (Finding it a bit slow at the moment...about 3 hours in.)

What I liked about Mass Effect was how you could tell it was a Bioware game...the character interaction and putting the plot in your hands is amazing. Things like loading textures never bother me. However, the one thing which did was them damn mako sections. They were crap.

Yeah the main story was short, especially compared to KoToR.

Essentially it was made up of the intro, 4 moderate-length planetary sections and the end. You could make it last a long time, especially if you got into the story and side-missions and listened to all the dialogue, but you could also race through it in a couple of hours if you knew where you were going.

Postman hasn't come today :( Was looking forward to playing it so much I got my work out of the way relatively early

Despite the good reviews, I am saddened to read I was completely right about this game having no planet exploration in the vein of the first game.

Yes the Mako sucked, no one needs to complain about that more, but all they should've done was improve it.

The scanning minigame that replaces the Mako seems to be equally as boring going by most comments I see, just a little less time consuming.

The first hour is EPIC, best opening to a game EVER

Only played a few hours so far but its so so good.. i transfered my stuff over from the first game and its awesome seeing all the choices you had made effect this game so much.

Oh and im lovin how everythings been streamlined, the first game had so many menu's i was still confused by the end of the game.

The more I read from people playing this just now, the more disheartened I feel about it.

It does seem like it has been too "streamlined" into more of a shooter experience than RPG. It sounds like virtually everything has been dumbed down in relation to the original. Just little things like removing earning charm or intimidate points to make the red and blue choices in conversations seem like annoying downgrades to me.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the shooter gameplay and story but I played the first game for its RPG elements and was excited about the sequel for its RPG elements.

Also, random weird thing...you can't crouch anymore unless in cover? Strange.

Edited by James McGeachie