NEurope

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8169649.stm

And there's a surprise. Just goes to show there's one rule for McLaren and better rules for everyone else. If that had been Hamilton he would have been subject to a full stewards inquiry, tribunal, points docked and the team and driver fined.

But we don't want to upset the *cough*racist*cough* Spanish fans so Renault get a slap on the wrist. One question:

And if the loose wheel had resulted in injury or death to another driver?

And there's a surprise. Just goes to show there's one rule for McLaren and better rules for everyone else.

Not sure I agree with the decision, but turns out McLaren supported Renaults cause, so really if they don't have a problem with it!....

Four teams supported Renault case

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77769

Renault received letters of support from four of its rival teams in its bid to overturn its European Grand Prix race ban at this week's FIA International Court of Appeal hearing, it has been revealed.

It was also revealed that Renault’s case was helped by the fact that Red Bull Racing, McLaren, Ferrari and Toyota all wrote letters supporting Renault’s case - with two teams admitting that their own pit-stop procedures have had to be changed to avoid a repeat of an Alonso-type situation.

Also:

Kovalainen told to raise his game

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77771

Heikki Kovalainen has been told that he needs to raise his game over the remainder of the season if he is to have any chance of keeping hold of his seat at McLaren in 2010.

My race prediction for the European GP 2009:

Luca Badoer is injured in Practice after tripping over a wire in the garage, thus paving the way for 2007 European GP leading driver Markus Winkelhock to return to the cockpit, only this time in a Ferrari.

He goes on to win by 2 whole minutes because he chose the right tyres through unprecedented usage of his extraordinary ability to predict rain.

That, or I reckon Raikkonen will win.

Renault's race ban was dumb anyway; a fine was always the deserved punishment.

Spa in 10 days time! Oh. and that valencia crap this weekend *sigh*

2010 gets slight Qually change:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77775

Changes to qualifying in 2010 rules

The FIA's new sporting and technical regulations for the 2010 Formula 1 world championship, published today, feature changes to the qualifying procedure to accommodate the expected 26-car grid next year.

The hour-long session will still be split into three segments, but will now see the slowest eight dropped in the opening 20-minute Q1 session, and another eight in Q2 to allow for 10 drivers to contest the shoot-out over 10 minutes.

Moreover, in a move that will please fans, Q3 will now be run in low-fuel configuration with the regulations taking into account the re-fuelling ban for 2010.

Other significant points in the document, posted on the FIA's website, include a continuation of the current points system, as opposed to Bernie Ecclestone's previously mooted winner-takes-all medals scheme.

Each car's minimum weight has been raised to 620kg, to take into account the added weight of KERS - which will still be allowed under next year's regulations, despite FOTA's agreement not to use the system.

Tyre warmers will also be allowed, despite previous indications that they would be banned on cost-saving grounds.

The re-written regulations also no longer contain any reference to the proposals for a two-tier Formula 1, that was at the centre of the row between the sport's governing body and the Formula One Teams' Association prior to the signing of the tri-partite Concord Agreement last month.

US-F1 have gotten one of Youtube's original founders on board as a major investor. Chad Hurley will also be in charge of USF1's corporate and media strategy. It's also believed that Virgin will be a title sponsor of the new Manor GP team for next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77778

Also liking what I'm reading further up.

Thank god they've finally got qualifying right, next year seems to be shaping up to be pretty good - and in the meantime we've got what looks like a great end to this season.

Pit Straight

Smiley-nod.gif

Turn 1 Smiley-nod.gif

Turn 2 Smiley-nod.gif

Turn 3 :wtf:

Turn 4 :wtf:

Turn 5 ::shrug:

Turn 6 ::shrug:

Turn 7 smiley_yawn.gif

Turn 8 smiley_yawn.gif

Turn 9 :o BRIDGE!!

Turn 10 Smiley-nod.gif

Turn 11 Smiley-nod.gif

Turn 12 ::shrug:

Turn 13 ::shrug:

Turn 14 smiley_yawn.gif

Turn 15 :zzz:

Turn 16 :zzz:

:o PIT STRAIGHT!!

It's so shit that unless they use the helicam, you really have no idea what part of the circuit is coming next. There's nothing other than the bridge (which is possibly the worst bridge ever!) to provide any insight or interest, just grey contrete corner after grey concrete corner! It means you just can't get into the circuit and the action.

Edited by Retro_Link

Alonso was electric in second practice. Though it's basically Monaco only built as a racetrack.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Oh come on the Renault isn't 7ths quicker than everyone else... that was a low fuel run for the fact he got to race in Valencia and for the spanish fans.

Also it's the kind of publicity the circuit needs to try and draw in some more Spanish folk, because apparently attendance isn't great!

It's kick started a rumour that although Valencia has a contract until 2012, Silverstone could possibly get the European GP?!

Quite enjoyed that qualifying.

Thought Grojean had a pretty great first outting, he was comparing well to Alonso much of the time, so well done to him!

Badoer... oh dear!!

1.5 seconds slower than 19th place!! and 3 secs behind Kimi!!

Time to put someone/anyone else in that seat come Spa, or else Ferrari are gonna loose 3rd place in the constructors to McLaren pretty quickly!

Would Luizzi, Sato, Piquet Jr, Davidson etc... please stand up!!

Also thought the BBC had a bit of a shocker today...

Eddie Jordan claimed Lewis won the world championship when he was 21, so he was sat inside that 2006 Renault the year Alonso claimed he won was he! :indeed:

And the grid results displayed at the end of the show were completely fucked up!

Legard was getting overly excited aswell!

Edited by Retro_Link

Very surprised Renault featured very little in the race actually! Thought Alonso would have tried to stick it on pole. Guess/hopefully they don't see the point in bullshitting anymore.

- Well done to Rubens!! Much deserved!!

- Another fantastic drive from Kimi, to only be beaten by a Brawn and 1 McLaren!

- Another good solid points finish from Rosberg.

- Ferrari HAVE to put someone else in the Badoers seat, because with only 1 Ferrari scoring McLaren are closing the gap FAST!! and will probably overtake come Spa.

- Again Heikki couldn't deliever in the race!

- And one aweful day for Red Bull!! Dunno how they are gonna manage Vettel now? He's bound to have to take a 10 place grid penalty at some point!

Roll on Spa!!... Monza, Singapore, Sazuka, Brazil (and Abu Dhabi?)!!!... Racing heaven until the end of the season!! :yay:

Looks like the title will go to one of the veterans. Vettel is quite far back now and bound to get at least 1 engine penalty. So it's between Webber, Button and Barrichello for the title, all old timers looking for their first (and probably only) title. It's a shame that all 3 can't win one, but it looks like this year is the last chance for each of them.

I'm not sure Brawn will be at all as competitive next year, but I think Red Bull might get another chance in 2010. Vettel certainly isn't dominating Webber in that car, so he may get 1 more chance yet.

I don't think it's fair to say both Brawn and Red bull will be as competetive, I'm sure the trend will return to Ferrari and McLaren dominance next year unless reliability kicks in.

^ that's what I said!?

Though Red Bull might get another chance if Newey comes up with another great concept.

Though Vettel may regret signing with them for another 2 years; but then he's still got his whole career in front of him so!...

^ that's what I said!?

Though Red Bull might get another chance if Newey comes up with another great concept.

Though Vettel may regret signing with them for another 2 years; but then he's still got his whole career in front of him so!...

Well since the rules see little change next year, I think near the beginning any of 6 teams could be in it till the development race kicks in, we've seen what happens this year with Toyota as the example.

I think the Brawn team could yet surprise in the coming years. If anyone can do it, Ross can.

I really, really hope they ban the double deck diffuser next year it will make much more exciting races possible.