NEurope

117170cz0.jpg

Fail :( Whatever happened to:800px-alonso_renault_qualifying_at_usgp_2005.jpg

ING should really come up with a better color scheme.

That new rear wing makes everything look so childish, and has somehow made every team switch to a ridilously huge nose!

The wide noses are way better than the horrible, uber narrow ones like on the Renault in that picture.

And is it just me or does the BMW front wing look awesome.

And is it just me or does the BMW front wing look like it's come to clear the snow off my drive.
Yeah I agree!

Joking aside, I think all the cars [with the exception of the Renault] are much better than I think anyone was expecting!

The old Renault is actually one of the best looking F1 cars i've seen (after the Ferrari's ofc, they're the pinnacle of beauty).

I really hope when I go to university next year that there is some kinda of F1 group/meet-up thing because this end of season break is killing me...:(

the cars are looking good but remind me of the cars from early 90's to 95. Cant wait for the new season to start.

Stupid Donnington:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44998

Donington plans ‘a missed opportunity’

Donington Park’s plans for the future of the British Grand Prix have been labelled “disappointingly weak” and “a missed opportunity” in a government-commissioned report.

Earlier this month the Leicestershire venue secured planning permission for a major revamp of the circuit and facilities to bring it up to Formula 1 standards.

But a review by the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE), which organises the UK government on architecture, has delivered a damning verdict on the designs submitted – saying they “fall far short of what the local authority and the nation should be aspiring to in a modern Formula 1 venue”.

The authors said they were “particularly concerned by the absence of a comprehensive masterplan and coherent landscape strategy for the site”, without which Donington Park “will continue to suffer from piecemeal and poorly coordinated racetrack development”.

“The material presented gave us little confidence that a bold architectural vision had been developed for this facility to showcase Britain’s racing pedigree and create…a racetrack of global standing to match Formula 1’s most recent tracks in Bahrain, China and Malaysia designed by the same team that are working at Donington,” the report added.

CABE, which carried out its review in December, said the venue’s attractive green landscape and undulating topography could be used “in a much more imaginative way” and suggested an iconic building would be needed to replace the Dunlop Bridge, one of the circuit’s signature features.

It also criticised plans for the main grandstand as unimaginative, pointing out that “the images presented of such buildings from around the world demonstrated the strong architectural gesture each makes to capture the spirit of the host city and heighten the experience of spectators.

“The early sketch model of Donington Park’s grandstand gave us little reassurance that a similarly heroic sporting arena would be achieved there.”

But circuit owner Simon Gillett robustly defended his plans, arguing that the CABE review was based on only outline drawings and that circuit design was outside the body's area of expertise.

“We were aware of the CABE document and its recommendations at the time of the planning hearing for our redevelopment plans, so the publication of this document does not present any new information to us,” he said.

“As suggested within the design review, CABE were only given access to limited information in relation our planning application.

“Therefore, many of the issues raised by the review document were considered within our six month planning phase and will continue to be addressed on an ongoing basis.

“Whilst we recognise CABE’s expertise on design and town planning, Donington Park is not a town, and our singular aim – to become the world’s leading race circuit – led us to appoint the world leader in F1 circuit design.

“Tilke GMBH is a company that has worked on the majority of outstanding motorsport circuits worldwide and understands the requirements and compromises that have to be made to deliver a fully functional, workable, deliverable and yet still very striking grand prix circuit.”

Gillett added that the redevelopment project would respect the circuit’s heritage and said his team was exploring the feasibility of moving, rather than scrapping, the Dunlop Bridge.

“One of our key focus areas from the outset has been ensuring that we continue to live up to our name – we are Donington Park, not just Donington,” he said.

“Retaining our heritage is also of the utmost importance, which means that we are in a very different situation to new circuits that are being built from scratch.

“The Dunlop Bridge is a perfect example of the types of unusual situation that can arise from this battle to redevelop, while still retaining our history.

“At the time of its construction, the bridge was heavily opposed by local residents, but those same residents are also now fighting to keep the structure in place.

“We agree with them, that the Dunlop Bridge has achieved iconic status at Donington Park and for that reason we're currently exploring relocation opportunities at a suitable alternative site within the circuit's grounds.

“Ultimately, our aim is the same as it has always been: deliver on time and to the highest standards of quality.

“The proof of that will be on the completion of the project in 2010, rather than on flat drawings in a design office."

As soon as the Midget is forced out/retires, I reckon Silverstone wil get reinstated anyway.

He's the one with the problem about it, I reckon the rest of the racing world would quickly welcome one of the worlds most iconic/important/historic tracks back.

Get rid of him!

Luca DeMontizemola has already said Bernie should step down, and that it's time the teams had more say and can gave the public exactly what they want, which included less of Bernies crappy street circuits and the importance of keeping classic style tracks.

Oh and why the government wouldn't fund Silverstones needed upgrades, but will support a COMPLETE donnington redevelopment is beyond me!

Well the Arctic Lapland Rally recently finished and since Kimi was making his rallying debut I've been keeping an eye on it. Have been EXTREMELY impressed by Kimi, considering he was driving a Fiat Grande Punto and Hakkinen a Mutsubushi Evo!...

Apparantely Heikki Kovalainen didn't get Ron's permission to take part! :hmm:

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45016

Kimi holds his own on rallying debut

Kimi Raikkonen braved snow, ice and freezing conditions over the weekend to finish a competitive 13th overall on his rallying debut.

The punishing Arctic Lapland Rally takes place over three days in the north of Finland and is a mainstay of the national rallying calendar, attracting some of the country’s leading drivers.

However, Raikkonen’s most famous competitor was fellow world champion Mika Hakkinen, with the current Ferrari driver beating his Finnish countryman by more than 7m30s.

Raikkonen took to the snowy stages in a Fiat Grande Punto S2000 and, with the help of co-driver Kaj Lindstrom, finished just 6m34s off the winner.

Meanwhile Hakkinen, in his fourth appearance at the Arctic Rally, was behind the wheel of a Mitsubushi Lancer Evo 9 and finished the event 19th overall.

Some thoughts from others involved...

- Häkkinen said he was very suprised about Kimi's speed because experience means a lot in rallying.

- Tommi Makkinen said, its very rare for someone to come in and do so well at their first attempt.

- Kimi's co-driver [Kaj Lindstrom] said Kimi was fantastic, didn't spin nor didn't outbrake himself and said it was unbelievable result for a first-timer.

KimiAR04.jpg

10877.jpg

10882.jpg

Raikkonen7.jpg

Raikkonen1.jpg

Raikkonen5.jpg

alr01ec5.jpg

Maybe a career after F1?!

Wasn't Valentino Rossi doing some rallying recently also?
Yeah I think it may have been some Australian rally or something.

In his rallying debut last year or whenever, didn't he wrap it round a tree?!

Nooooo!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73017

Rome considering F1 GP bid

Rome is considering bidding for a Formula One street race on the outskirts of the Italian capital.

Former driver Maurizio Flammini, who first had the idea in 1984, has now proposed the scheme again, city officials said.

"It's an idea Flammini has proposed and mayor Gianni Alemanno has said it is possible," a city council spokesman told Reuters.

Reuters said Flammini wanted to see a grand prix in Rome from 2011.

Formula One already has three street races in Valencia, Singapore and Monaco.

The Italian Grand Prix is currently hosted at the Monza circuit.

Sod off street circuits! And bring back the A1 Ring!

Street circuits are making a real surge. Needs less street circuits and more racing circuits like the cars are intended for.

Damn Spa would make a great place for sledging!

EauRougeInTheSnow.jpg

Sod your middle eastern tracks Bernie, a snow grand prix is where it's at, complete with bolt studded tyres!

Kimi and Heikki would own!

haha Retro, that wouldn't be dangerous at all!

Kimi doing well though, I'm not so sure. After all we all know what happens to the Ferrari when they lose a bit of temperature in their tires *remembers the last 2 laps of Spa 2008* :(

haha Retro, that wouldn't be dangerous at all!

Kimi doing well though, I'm not so sure. After all we all know what happens to the Ferrari when they lose a bit of temperature in their tires *remembers the last 2 laps of Spa 2008* :(

Oh yeah! :( stupid F2008!

Mind you they are fitting the '09 cars with snow ploughs at the front!

haha!! Heidfeld gave it a go on a frozen lake in '07. Look at him go!...

He did actually get some alright speed up in places!

There are rumors going round of a brand new US based F1 team looking to start up. I certainly hope it's true and that they're successful, top up the grid, encourage other similar ventures and hopefully help spread the influence of the sport in the US.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73121

That would be amazing for F1, especially after the 2005 US race pretty much killed the sport over there :(

Yeah that would be good for the sport!

I'd like to see the US back on the calander; though not sure if I want a return to Indy, never was a fan, but I suppose it is to the US what Silverstone is to the UK; all the racing history etc...

And bring back Canada!! I'm gonna miss it this season!

I think it's almost impossible to predict. I actually don't think anyone can guess right now.

May be some more clues coming from the remaining testing sessions, but then testing is just testing so...

You might expect Ferrari and McLaren to perhaps be the two top teams still, but then they might have gotten something wrong?!

BMW have put alot of resources behind their '09 car from a much earlier stage, so have a chance at being a top team, and so might Renault!

Then there will probably be a wild card team that are very good.

Williams and Honda [not sure about Red Bull and STR], basically didn't bother with their '08 car in order to prepare for '09, so in a sense they should be great too!

And the cars are all different looking aswell! Some teams most have got it right better than others; but I really can't call this season yet!