NEurope

Thing is it's hard for them to get an American driver because there are other racing tournaments that drivers would rather take place in.

Just over a month left for the new f1 season! Argh i can't wait :D I just know its going to be absolutely brilliant.

Virgin have been linked to a buyout of Honda racing:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45132

Appears as though if Honda Are rescued the driver lineup would be Button and Senna. Who knows, I might back Senna this season if Honda are saved.

'Virgin F1' could be good for the sport! May offer a rival to Red Bull in terms of that sort of 'jet-set' team lifestyle.

Though that would be a few years down the line I guess as the most important thing is securing and restructuring the team, something Virgin would be capable of providing.

EDIT: Honda have confirmed Virgin have made a bid!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7896784.stm

Yes, very good news. It's certainly a very Branson-esque thing to do. At least we know there's at least one solid bidder in the running. Don't care who gets it so long as they can provide for the team. In fact, I'd probably prefer if somebody else did get it and Sir Branson used the cash improving his expensive, slow-ass trains. Gawd bless you G'vner. :heh:

Could you just imagine a Virgin sponsored cars colour? You'd get confused between That team and Torro Rosso.
Wouldn't it be red and white?...

VA_Virgin747_01.jpgvirgin-media-logo.jpg

Might depend on what other sponsors they get as well of course. Can't get much worse then the whole Force India/McLaren colour scheme confusion I kept having last year at any rate. :heh:

Wouldn't it be red and white?...

VA_Virgin747_01.jpgvirgin-media-logo.jpg

I was thinking it's be the red hue their TV adverts had. Red and White makes more sense.

Looking forward to this:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73344

FOTA to unveil Formula One vision

Formula One teams are to go public with their vision for the future of the sport in a press conference that has been scheduled for the start of next month.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has been working away behind closed doors to come up with concepts and regulations that it would like to see grand prix racing adopt in the future.

With consensus about new directions for the sport having been reached, FOTA has decided to call a media event in Geneva on March 5 to unveil what the body calls its "plans for the future of Formula One."

The press event will be hosted by FOTA chairman and Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who will speak about the teams' plans.

An official invitation sent by FOTA on Wednesday added: "These plans are the result of a series of meetings held over the past few weeks and months, all of them with a common goal: to make Formula One commercially sustainable, environmentally friendly and compellingly attractive for spectators, TV viewers and Internet consumers alike for years to come."

All F1 team principals are due to attend the event, which will be the first public showing by FOTA since its formation last year.

FOTA has commissioned a worldwide market research document to gauge what fans want to see come from F1 in the future, and it is likely the results of this have determined what the teams will unveil.

McLaren team principal Ron Dennis said earlier this year that none of FOTA's members were afraid to introduce radical changes, as long as new ideas were to improve the sport.

"We are not particularly against anything that makes F1 better," said Dennis during a special appearance on the central stage at the Autosport International Show. "But we really believe that it should be driven by knowledge as opposed to intuition and gut feel.

"The teams have financed research and it has been conducted over two months globally, and we will bring into that research the possibility of introducing a new points system, whether it is with medals or whether pole position should carry points to incentivize people to try harder in qualifying, or whether we should adopt monstrously radical things like reversing the grid after awarding points for qualifying.

"That is, for me to say, unheard of. I am a pure motor racer. I am a guy who likes to qualify hard, be the fastest car in front, lead from the front and win by whatever it takes. I am pure. But it can be pretty boring, not to me, but it can be pretty boring for you guys if the race is a procession.

"So we have to be mindful of the fact that those people who are captured by F1, their interest is maintained...we are very, very concerned about playing with the DNA of Formula One and screwing some magic that crosses that audience.

"Our attitude is let's take a scientific approach within the limitations of market research, try and understand what people like about Formula One and play to our strengths, then try to handle our weaknesses."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73405

BBC confirms F1 broadcast details

The BBC has announced that it will broadcast all Formula One sessions - including free practice – both on television and online this year.

Confirming details of its plans for 2009, the return of F1 to the BBC is being used as an opportunity for the corporation to step up coverage of the sport.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the BBC said that the races and all qualifying sessions other than Brazil will be broadcast on BBC One. For Interlagos, BBC Two will show the fight for grid positions on the Saturday.

Practice sessions will be available via the 'red button' interactive service, or can be watched through the BBC's website.

The BBC has also promised to allow fans to customize their viewing experience – with the choice of three different video streams. There will also be options for split-screen action; a live leaderboard; in-car cameras and a choice of commentary.

....Sweet!!

Slap the ol' theme tune on the front of that and call it "Grand Prix" again and I'll be the victim if a serious and very sudden case of uncontrollable manplosion.

In other news, I'm liking how Honda are either doing dandy or are totally and utterly fucked, depending on who you ask. I wish they'd hurry up and get on with either confirming a buyer or else just raise the whole factory to the ground already.

Slap the ol' theme tune on the front of that and call it "Grand Prix" again and I'll be the victim if a serious and very sudden case of uncontrollable manplosion.

In other news, I'm liking how Honda are either doing dandy or are totally and utterly fucked, depending on who you ask. I wish they'd hurry up and get on with either confirming a buyer or else just raise the whole factory to the ground already.

I really hope 'The Chain' doesn't return! but it seems inevitable!

haha, yeah!

Only a few more weeks of testing before the new season starts, so if they don't get on with it it'll be pointless anyway as they'll have tested next to nothing of the '09 regs!

Branson has said the sport needs to change before he thinks about entering; interms of costs, using green fuels etc... so don't think he's a vaible '09 option for Honda, as all the long term F1 plans are still being set out by the FIA and FOTA.

Holy shit, that red button stuff with multiple cameras and stuff sounds amazing. Its like when ITV got the premiership rights for a few seasons - isn't until it goes back to the BBC that you realise how shitty ITV really are. I mean, we already knew they were shitty, because they could barely even air the normal stuff. Plus now BBC is showing how it should really be done.

Three Boo's for todays news!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73460

Williams unveil definitive 2009 colours

Williams have unveiled the livery for their new FW31 ahead of a season that they hope will see the outfit return to fully competitive form.

The car has run so far in winter testing in a plain blue livery, but the team used a media day at their factory on Thursday to show off the definitive blue-and-white colour scheme in which the car will contest the forthcoming season.

The livery unveiling of the FW31 coincided with the car featuring cockpit sails, labelled 'skate fins' by the team, for the first time. They are designed to channel air over the car and onto the rear wing.

wil2009022762549alt.jpg

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73443

Bridgestone to use green markings

1235665667.jpg

Bridgestone has confirmed that it will use green coloured bands around its tyres' sidewalls to differentiate between the two compounds used at each race this year.

The Japanese company has also revealed that there will be a more distinct difference between the two compounds used at each race this year.

Until now the two types of tyre were consecutive in Bridgestone's range - for instance super soft and soft - whereas this season at most races the two tyre compounds will be further apart in performance and characteristics. For example in Melbourne all drivers must run both super softs and medium Bridgestones during the race, while at Sepang both soft and hard tyres will be mandated.

1. That colour scheme is no where near as nice as the winter livery [shown in the above tyre pic]! and it's getting even closer to BMW's.

2. Those 'ear fins' are horrible! They may have found an aerodynamic 'loophole' allowing for their creation, but they REALLY go against the clean asthetics of the '09 cars.

3. Didn't like the green bands when they ran them at Fugi '08, as part of that naff 'Green F1' campaign. They clash/clashed with pretty much every car colour scheme. Would rather they'd carried on with white bands.

It's more reminiscent of the 90's Williams colour scheme, kinda nostalgic. But those fins do ruin it, i agree with you.

Honda will be on the grid for 09, finally getting bought out:

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45173

It still says the second drive is up in the air between Barrichello or Senna. But whatever happens it'll be alright with me.

3. Didn't like the green bands when they ran them at Fugi '08, as part of that naff 'Green F1' campaign. They clash/clashed with pretty much every car colour scheme. Would rather they'd carried on with white bands.

Plus you could barely see them. Bad move FIA.

Glad Honda are testing next week, hope they go with Rubens as well as he deserves a proper send off.

Plus you could barely see them. Bad move FIA.

Glad Honda are testing next week, hope they go with Rubens as well as he deserves a proper send off.

I hope so too. if Coulthard was able to get one, someone like Rubeans would also deserve one.

It's only a short term drive and he'd probably have to announce retirement at the end of 2010. Will miss him a lot.

It's only a short term drive though, he'd probably have to announce retirement at the end of 2010. Will miss him a lot.
Oh yeah I know, but at least he'd get a decent send off that way!