NEurope

If it stays dry (which I don't think it will) I'll say Button will probably win again. If it rains it could be anyones, literally anyones.

I got on the school bus this morning and was told by my hamilton loving friend that as of last night, both Brawn cars got disqualified from the race and Lewis had inherited the race win...I've never been SO pissed off, i couldn't believe it.

...Then i realised the date. :( Felt like a right idiot haha.

Well I'd probably have reacted the same. They both did a fantastic job, especially Rubeans with his damaged car for the whole race.

NEWSFLASH!

Hamilton/Trulli incident to be re-opened.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45422

Lewis Hamilton’s third-place finish in the Australian Grand Prix has been thrown into doubt amid question marks over the explanation he gave to the stewards for slowing down in front of Jarno Trulli.

The world champion is set to be recalled to the stewards' office in Malaysia on Thursday to clarify the sequence of events in his exchange of places with Trulli in the closing stages of last Sunday's race.

Trulli was running ahead of Hamilton during the late safety car period when he slid wide onto the grass, prompting the McLaren driver to go past him – a legitimate move given that Trulli had left the racetrack proper.

Trulli reclaimed the place shortly afterwards, but the stewards deemed this a competitive pass (forbidden under safety car conditions) and handed the Toyota driver a 25s penalty after the race, relegating him to 12th place and promoting Hamilton to third.

Toyota announced on Wednesday that it had dropped its appeal against Trulli’s penalty – but it is now Hamilton who is facing further scrutiny.

High-level sources have informed itv.com/f1 that doubts have emerged about the world champion’s account of the events which unfolded immediately before Trulli repassed him.

Well I'd probably have reacted the same. They both did a fantastic job, especially Rubeans with his damaged car for the whole race.
They changed his nose at the first pit-stop, and frankly he shouldn't have kept stickin his car in anyways!

Also heard some teams may be protesting the KERS of two teams, saying they are using too many extra horsepower.

Honestly it's getting rediculous!

The FIA are fcuking F1 right up, by not clarifying regulations, leading to confusion for the teams over legal/illegal cars, leading to appeals, uncertain race results, imbalances across the grid, KERS and no KERS, its a joke!

They changed his nose at the first pit-stop, and frankly he shouldn't have kept stickin his car in anyways!

Also heard some teams may be protesting the KERS of two teams, saying they are using too many extra horsepower.

Honestly it's getting rediculous!

The FIA are fcuking F1 right up, by not clarifying regulations, leading to confusion for the teams over legal/illegal cars, leading to appeals, uncertain race results, imbalances across the grid, KERS and no KERS, its a joke!

I think the KERS story was a really bad April fools 'joke'. At least that's what I gathered from the DigitalSpy forums.

Yeah your right on that being an April fools, the others I read were Hamilton going to Brawn GP for the rest of the season and Schumacher standing in for Massa after he broke his leg. The Hamilton one particularly good with joing quotes from Ron and Anthony Hamilton about them raising the child to be formula 1 champion over and over again.

My prediction for the race, which I'm assuming will be wet based on current forecasts:

1. Barichello

2. Vettel

3. Button

His diffuser was damaged Retro_Link. It was damaged by Heiki during the first corner incident which wasn't caused by Rubeans but Heiki knocking into the back of him.

Also, Hamilton is disqualified from the Aus GP with Trulli reattaining 3rd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

Edited by Emerald Emblem

I'm really not a Hamilton fan, I don't like his attitude to the other drivers at all, or the fact that he's a tax dodger but the FiA really seem to have it in for him and are determined not to let him succeed. I feel sorry for the guy he just can't do anything right.

The guy who sits opposite me is on the phone to someone at Toyota right now - will ask him what they say when he's done. I would try and listen in but they're German.

His diffuser was damaged Retro_Link. It was damaged by Heiki during the first corner incident which wasn't caused by Rubeans but Heiki knocking into the back of him.

Ah right, didn't realised that 1st corner with Heikki damaged the diffuser. Still wasn't keen on the way he drove that day.

If McLaren provided misleading/incorrect information, then they only have themselves to blame. However, looks like we're gonna get another season with plenty of FIA meddling and questionable penalties.

And yeah dispite not liking Hamilton or McLaren, disqualification sounds too harsh, dunno why they couldn't just switch the positions back with Trulli, but hey, if thems the rules!

Yeah it turns out that it was McLaren and Hamilton that gave misleading information and as a result the whole team have been disqualified from the race including Hekkei Kovalianen (not that it made a massive difference to him...). Pretty stupid of them really but in retrospect it's pretty fair.

Really stupid of them, I don't know why you would even bother when there is going to be so much evidence as to what actually happened.

The guy at Toyota didn't shed any extra light on the situation to my friend but obviously was very happy as they now have 3rd and 4th positions for the race.

FIA I hate you for doing this Hamilton should be 3rd and your geting on my nerves now so stop being nasty to Hamilton.

I really wish the FIA Stewards would release full explanations and transcripts, or at least minutes or something so we can see their reasoning and make some kind of judgment for ourselves when they keep reversing and re-reversing race results like this. They seem to operating under the mistaken assumption that we trust them.

FIA I hate you for doing this Hamilton should be 3rd and your geting on my nerves now so stop being nasty to Hamilton.

lol, couldn't put it better myself ;)

The lack of transparency here really is the biggest single problem - nobody actually knows for sure what the sod is going on, it's all ifs, buts, maybes and assumptions. Flipping around a race result every couple of days is bad enough, when nobody is entirely sure why only exacerbates the problem.

I really wish the FIA Stewards would release full explanations and transcripts,
Your wish is my command...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74160

FIA insists McLaren misled stewards

"The race director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so."

The FIA added that both in radio communications and in an interview after the race, it was clear that McLaren had instructed Hamilton to let Trulli through.

So here he's saying he didn't allow the Toyota through and therefore it illegally overtook him under a safety car and thus Trulli should get a penalty. When infact...

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2009/Pages/f1_stewards_decision.aspx

The new elements presented to the Stewards several days after the 2009 Australian Grand Prix which led to the reconvened Stewards Meeting clearly show that:

a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the Stewards Meeting he gave an interview to the Media where he clearly stated that the Team had told him to let Trulli pass.

b. Furthermore, the radio exchanges between the driver and the Team contain two explicit orders from the Team to let the Toyota pass.

The Stewards, having learned about the radio exchanges and the Media interview, felt strongly that they had been misled by the driver and his Team Manager which led to Jarno Trulli being unfairly penalised and Lewis Hamilton gaining third place.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74159

Transcript of McLaren radio transmission

Transcript of the radio transmission between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren during the Australian Grand Prix:

Team: OK Lewis, you should need to make sure your delta is positive over the safety car line. After the safety car line the delta doesn't matter but no overtaking. No overtaking.

Lewis Hamilton: The Toyota went off in a line at the second corner, ..., is this OK?

Team: Understood, Lewis. We'll confirm and get back to you.

LH: He was off the track. He went wide.

Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

LH: OK.

LH: He's slowed right down in front of me.

Team: OK, Lewis. Stay ahead for the time being. Stay ahead. We will get back to you. We are talking to Charlie.

LH: I let him past already.

Team: OK, Lewis. That's fine. That's fine. Hold position. Hold position.

LH: Tell Charlie I already overtook him. I just let him past.

Team: I understand Lewis. We are checking. Now can we go to yellow G 5, yellow Golf 5.

LH: I don't have to let him past I should be able to take that position back, if he made a mistake.

Team: Yes, we understand Lewis. Let's just do it by the book. We are asking Charlie now. You are in P4. If you hold this position. Just keep it together.

Team: OK Lewis, your KERS is full, your KERS is full. Just be aware. You can go back to black F2, black Foxtrot 2.

LH: Any news from Charlie whether I can take it back or not.

Team: Still waiting on a response Lewis, still waiting.

Team: Lewis, work on your brakes please. Front brakes are cold.

Team: If we are able to use one KERS that would be good. If you deploy KERS please do so now.

Team: OK, Lewis, this is the last lap of the race. At the end of the lap the safety car will come in, you just proceed over the line without overtaking, without overtaking. We are looking into the Trulli thing, but just hold position.

To listen to a recording of the radio transmission between Lewis Hamilton and the team, click here.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2009/Pages/f1_stewards_decision.aspx

He had let the Toyota through. Edited by Retro_Link

Your wish is my command...

So here he's saying he didn't allow the Toyota through and therefore it illegally overtook him under a safety car and thus Trulli should get a penalty. When infact...

He had let the Toyota through.

Oh dear. Silly Hamilton. Penalty is deserved and he's lost what little respect I actually had for him. *facepalm*

I'm currently reading about twenty different things at the moment, all totally unrelated and have nothing to do with Formula One, so I'm just wondering if someone could help me understand this.

The fifth line of that transcript states (from the Team) that he needed to let the Toyata through. He then replies with OK, and later states that the Toyata had been let past.

So, maybe I'm not understanding this fully, but isn't it the fault of the team? They gave him a command, and he carried it out.

So, maybe I'm not understanding this fully, but isn't it the fault of the team? They gave him a command, and he carried it out.
Yeah it was deemed both Lewis and the Team had misled the stewards, and as a result the Team as a whole was disqualified [including Heikki Kovaleinen who had already retired] from the race. It wasn't just a penalty for Lewis.

Yeah it was deemed both Lewis and the Team had misled the stewards, and as a result the Team as a whole was disqualified [including Heikki Kovaleinen who had already retired] from the race. It wasn't just a penalty for Lewis.

To me, it seems that the team made the mistake, and maybe he was just told to go along with it. Hence the lying and the transcripts. Pretty seedy, really.

So if he was so obviously at fault how did the stewards reach their decision in Australia? Why didn't they look at the radio transmissions before hand? Why did it take them so long to reverse it? Why didn't Toyota follow through with their appeal? Why did the stewards penalize Trulli at all in the first place?

Eddie Jordan [Audio] on the incident:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978730.stm

Explains it well.

So if he was so obviously at fault how did the stewards reach their decision in Australia?

Why didn't they look at the radio transmissions before hand?

Why did it take them so long to reverse it?

Why didn't Toyota follow through with their appeal?

Why did the stewards penalize Trulli at all in the first place?

- They were going by what McLaren had told them, that Trulli had overtaken under the safety car.

- Guess they didn't have them at the time of the quick decision. They probably wanted to try and resolve it quickly and not be another incident that dragged on. It was only in light of the new evidence that they had to revisit it.

- Has only be a couple of days.

- I'd imagine they believed they were probably at fault.

- Because they thought he'd overtaken under a safety car and that's what everything [until the radio transmissions and news of the interviews] seemed to point to.

It really comes down to the radio transmissions. Who knows why they weren't available sooner, but until they were it seemed Trulli was at fault.

It could have done without a couple of days uncertainty, but at least the right team has been punished in the end; whether it's deemed harsh or not.

Edited by Retro_Link