Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

Rofl... every time Goron!

Ha :D Nice to see it still amuses you. Try reading over it whilst impersonating him, it's so hard to keep a straight face!

You know, James Allen was awful BUT atleast he made commentary interesting and let martin brundle do a lot of talking.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha :D Nice to see it still amuses you. Try reading over it whilst impersonating him, it's so hard to keep a straight face!
Yeah that's what does it, I can just hear him saying it as I read it!

In other news...

Didn't see this coming... You Go Wurz!!! :o

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75753

Wurz set to lead Superfund into F1

Former Formula 1 driver Alex Wurz has lodged an entry in the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship with a new start-up operation called Team Superfund, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

The former Williams, McLaren and Benetton racer, will become team principal of the new outfit, which is set to be funded by Austrian business tycoon Christian Baha - the founder and owner of the investment company Superfund. The team's cars will be powered by the standard-specification Cosworth engine.

Superfund joins Prodrive, Lola, Campos Meta1 and Team US F1 as one of several new ventures seeking to enter the sport following the FIA's plan to introduce budget caps to F1 for 2010.

AUTOSPORT understands that Superfund has been in serious discussions with the FIA already, that planning for the project is at an advanced stage, and that it has been in contact with key personnel. The team is waiting until it has secured its entry before it begins acquiring assets and staff however.

Superfund is also understood to be awaiting the outcome of talks between the governing body and the Formula One Teams' Association over proposals for existing teams to assist new outfits before it decides on how to structure the operation.

It is believed that Wurz would prefer to align the team with an existing constructor based in the UK, perhaps renting space, facilities and staff from its factory, while Superfund takes time to build-up its own headquarters, possibly based on existing resources in Austria. This would also give the new team an opportunity to gain essential experience from existing expertise.

It is understood however that finances are already in place for Superfund to create a team from the ground up if necessary.

Baha, who is known to be a huge motorsport fan, has sponsored F1 teams and junior series in the past and came close to setting up a Superfund category of his own earlier in the decade.

Wurz retired from Formula 1 racing at the end of 2007 with Williams, though he spent last year as test and reserve driver for Honda and has stayed on the team's roster since it became Brawn.

The 34-year-old Austrian is expected to continue racing for Peugeot in sportscars and will compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours next month.

Reckon he'd give Davidson a drive aswell. Edited by Retro_Link

Isn't that 6 teams who've lodged an entry then..? I thought a team named Litespeed had applied, as mentioned on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8072740.stm. So that should mean the new entries are...

Campos Meta F1

LiteSpeed GP

Lola

Prodrive

Superfund

US F1

Campos Meta F1 and US F1 will all have to change their names as "F1" is not allowed in the team name since an annoying old hobbit owns the rights to the F1 brand. Should be interesting on deadline day though (12 June) to see which teams have been accepted and whether the other 9 teams will withdraw. I have a feeling that some teams (most likely Toyota, Ferrari and Red Bull/Toro Roso) may pull out because they all want no budget cap and it looks like the FIA are pretty set on £100m, which is more than enough in my opinion. About time we got back to technical innovation instead of spending power, hence why I support the £40m one proposed.

So while this season has fallen a bit flat with the dominance of Brawn, next season: With new teams, 26 cars and NO Refuelling :) should hopefully be amazing - Unless they announce 3 new Middle East / Asia races on the calendar.

NO Refuelling

Wait, what?! So that means that pitstops will be reduced to strictly mechanical maintenance? Darn. Was hoping to see many a fuel-hose clinging on to cars in the years to come.

I think the fuel loads are one of the most interesting things about F1, who's light, who's running long, when they're gonna make their pitstops, who they're gonna come out in front of etc... IMO this will make it a lot more boring... next thing we hear will be they introduce standard tyres to be used for the whole race :(

Wait, what?! So that means that pitstops will be reduced to strictly mechanical maintenance? Darn. Was hoping to see many a fuel-hose clinging on to cars in the years to come.
Tyre changes and basically any adjustments/brakages.

We're gonna have to see how overtaking etc... works with cars SO heavy and on the same fuel loads as one another right from the get go.

Surely, this won't cause any increase in overtaking. Everyone will be fuelled with just enough fuel to reach the end, and therefore, the fastest cars in qualifying will be the fastest cars in the race if they are all fuelled evenly, meaning the races will be a procession, although if there are still tyre tactics that will make a little bit of difference; But I think with this, we won't see anyone making their way up the grid through the race, cos everyone will be making the same number of pitstops and be on the same fuel.

Trust me, don't worry. F1 was amazing before they introduced refuelling. The races become about tyre management and tyre-tactics. Push too hard and you'll ruin a set, yet it is possible to drive consistantly well on one set for an entire race. Ayrton Senna pitted 7 times in one race (I forget which) too keep on fresh tyres and STILL won. There will be much more overtaking in my opinion, especially if they keep the 2 different tyre compounds per race rule. The heavy cars absoultly batter the tyres early on meaning anyone can stay out all race, thus jumping everyone who pits and have a horrific car to drive to the finish for the last few laps. It will demonstrate more creative tactics and promote high-quality defensive/offensive driving. Plus drivers know they can't win a race on fuel strategy so they have to go for it. I can't wait until next year.

I agree with Nicktendo on this, I am fully confident it will lead to a good thing for races. I doubt very much they will stick to the current qualifying format of using race fuel. It will be more like Q1 & Q2 where they do as fast a lap as possible on vapours then fill up for the race. Should ensure that the grid is mixed up a bit.

Some people will go for 0 stops and very smooth conservative driving (Button types) and others will end up doing 3/4 stops and driving on the ragged edge the whole time.

I think tactically it will be far more interesting that the current, incredibly predictable, sprints between the optimal amount of pit stops.

F1 before refuelling was incredible.

Ask any of the drivers and they'll tell you the same because you had to overtake on the track, and it became about managing tyre wear. I remember a video where Mansell had a pitstop for new tyres, fell 20 seconds behind Piquet who's tyres were aboput 15 laps old and was on a 1 stopper, and then in the space of a 20 laps he overtook Piquet and took the win with 2 laps to go. All this at Silverstone. Amazing.

We won't see anymore of the 'get close the car infront and we'll overtake him at the pitstop'.

Not saying that won't be the case, but was it not easier to overtake back then?... or was that because of the heavy cars, on slicks that were varied in wear.

The reason for overtaking in the pits nowadays, is partly due to it having been so difficult to do it on track these last few years.

I think things have improved a bit this, but that could be a result of KERS vs non-KERS.

I think it was a combination of the two to be honest. You basically need a combination of the making it easier to follow the car in front and different cars faster at different stages of the race.

The rules this year were designed to improve the 1st part of that with next years building on that and addressing the 2nd part. I think this year has improved the situation but not by enough. They need to carry on tweaking the rules in this direction to get the cars close enough. Even now cars are 5/6 car lengths behind due to dirty air. Ideally once your within this distance slipstream should allow you to simply drift right up to the back of the car in front.

Hopefully they will continue to work on this and make it even easier over the coming seasons. KERS is definitely helping in shaking up the order a bit, I think the rules over that need to be tweaked a little to really help the racing.

is there a limit on the number of teams allowed? if we do end up with say 40 cars. Will they all be able to race or will you have to be within a certain time in realtion to pole? I think they used to do something like that, they might still not sure.

They used to do pre-qualifying yeah, so you had to qualify to get into qualifying.

There is a limit on cars/teams for next year, only 26 cars will be on the 2010 grid, so only 3 new teams will be chosen for next year.

We don't know yet if they plan on expanding things further in the future, but I think I said earlier somewhere, I don't think they'd be able to justify a return to pre-qualifying in this Economic downturn.

Yeah good idea!

Should it be Thursday before Practice, or Friday after second Practice?

I think it should be after friday practise tbh. we could do something like predict qualifying and predict the race results with points like the following:

Predict the winner- 3 Points

Predict the top 2- 6 Points

Predict the podium- 10 Points

Predict what lap Nakajima crashes out on- 10 Points AND a golden hat.

Same applies for qualifying, but get rid of the Nakajima thing and replace it with 'Will Piquet make it through to Q2' with you earning a point for that.

Has potential i think :)

Total number of televised Piquet cock-ups over the race weekend etc...

Yeah could be fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

More potential teams...

Epsilon confirms 2010 F1 entry attempt

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75791

The Epsilon Euskadi team has officially confirmed that it has submitted its entry to compete in Formula 1 next season.

Epsilon boss Joan Villadelprat said the team wanted to be silent until the necessary budget was in place, but the former F1 team manager has revealed he has now secured the finances for the next four years if the Spanish squad is chosen by the FIA on 12th June, when the entry list for 2010 will be announced.

March aiming to return to F1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75784

March is among the teams to have lodged an entry for the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship.

March Racing Organisation still exists as a non-trading registered company, despite not having any involvement in motorsport since the F1 team collapsed in the build-up to the 1993 season.

The company is owned by British businessman and chairman of English football club Swindon Town, Andrew Fitton, who acquired March in 1993.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75796

Start your own series, Mosley tells FOTA

FIA president Max Mosley has indicated that the governing body is not about to bow to demands being placed on it by Formula 1's current teams about their entry to the 2010 championship.

Nine of the sport's current competitors submitted their entries to next year's championship on the condition that a new Concorde Agreement was signed by June 12 and that next year's cost-cutting rule changes are abandoned in favour of their preferred regulations.

However, speaking to Swiss publication Motorsport Aktuell, Mosley has made it clear that it is unlikely a Concorde Agreement can be put together in such a short time frame - and he has suggested the rebel teams go off and set up their own championship if they are unhappy.

"A Concorde Agreement which one receives so late can't be signed by June 12," Mosley was quoted as saying.

"We now have a conflict and we will see who succeeds in the end. I say to them: If you want to draw up your own rules, then you can organise your own championship. But we have the Formula 1 championship.

"We draw up the rules for that. We have been doing that for 60 years and we will continue doing so."

With a whole host of new teams having submitted entries to next year's championship, there are no shortage of competitors who can fill the grid if current teams do not wish to compete.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said last week that if the conditions laid down by FOTA's nine members were not accepted, then their entries would be invalid.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75812

Teams seeking solution, not new series

Formula 1's current teams remain wholly committed to finding a solution to their dispute with the FIA over the future of the sport, despite suggestions from Max Mosley that they should go off and do their own series.

With no solution yet in sight in the row over a £40 million budget cap for next year, the nine members of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) are awaiting a response from the FIA about the conditions they laid down for them to enter next year's championship.

They want a Concorde Agreement signed by next week, plus the current plans for 2010 regulation changes to be abandoned, in favour of their own proposals. The FIA is due to reveal the 2010 entrants on June 12.

Although the teams have not yet had an official response from the FIA about the conditions of their entry, Mosley suggested in an interview with Motorsport Aktuell that if FOTA was unhappy with the proposed rules it should form a breakaway championship.

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen made it clear in Turkey on Thursday, however, that FOTA was far more interested in reaching a deal with the FIA than going off and doing its own series.

"We are now really committed to find a solution with the FIA to go forward together," he explained. "That is all I want to say at this point of time."

Theissen said that FOTA did not have any plans to meet this weekend to discuss the situation, although it would do so if the FIA responded.

"We would be ready to sit down immediately," he explained.

Although there have been some causes for optimism in the past week that the teams and the FIA were heading for a solution, Theissen was more cautious about the chances of the matter getting sorted by next week.

"I said after the meeting in Monaco that the situation is difficult, it is critical and it is not solved yet, and the same applies today," he said.

Theissen also revealed that the decision by FOTA to lodge conditional entries was suggested to them by Mosley.

"When we had the meeting with Max [Mosley] in Monaco, it was his idea to put in a conditional entry," he said.

and still they come!...

N.Technology submits F1 application

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75795

Brabham name owner submits F1 entry

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75798

LOL, Mosley is absolutely mad [well he is anyway but still...] if he thinks the F1 audience will watch a Formula 1 that comprises of...

Williams, Campos Meta 1, US F1, Superfund, Prodrive, Lola, Epsilon, March, 'Brabham' and N. Technology!

Everyone will just follow the other 9 F1 teams to their new series, at it would be identicle at F1, minus Williams!

Mind you, at least for Willliams would be almost 100% back winning championships. But I don't think it would mean very much to them!

I actually think that they would have an incredibly hard time putting together their own championship. As far as I'm aware they wouldn't be able to race at any track that has an FIA sanctioned race on it, they need to sort out TV coverage and a whole host of other things. I really think that they need F1 more than it needs them. I'll certainly be watching no matter what.

It will be absolutely hilarious if they publish the teams list for next year and it's full of names noone has ever heard of.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!