N-Europe

2009 & The Recession

Falcon_BlizZACK

Usually, economy stuff, whether good, bad, or whatever doesn't usually grab my attention BUT all this talk of 600,000 job cuts for 2009 made a fibre in my neck twitch... Jesus, what the heck happened?!! For some reason, something in the back of my head says Student Loans is apart of the problem... all that 'free' money... But woo-hooo! FREE MONEY! ...< Thats the problem right? :indeed:

Usually, economy stuff, whether good, bad, or whatever doesn't usually grab my attention BUT all this talk of 600,000 job cuts for 2009 made a fibre in my neck twitch... Jesus, what the heck happened?!! For some reason, something in the back of my head says Student Loans is apart of the problem... all that 'free' money... But woo-hooo! FREE MONEY! ...< Thats the problem right? :indeed:

It does make me wonder, how come there are all these job cuts and there is money available for students to have as EMA payments. I'm not joking but EMA was not available when i was in college until year 2. It would be easier to cut the free money and invest it in the economy and try to save it and all the jobs.

These provide taxes to the government who provide the EMA. Solution, and students can hate me here inc uni students. Cut the free payments to them all. This will help solve a problem which is getting bigger each month. People should be able to go to college to learn and achieve better qualifications without "bribes" as it were.

We've had this sort of thread before - but this is the first time anyone's mentioned student loans as being part of the problem. Theoretically, student loans are providing the government with more funds in the long run. Before, what, 2006(?) the government was covering a larger proportion of the Further Education costs, where now the cost is passed onto the student themselves. This surely means the government 'freed up' a large sum to invest elsewhere.

Plus the 'free money' that students get in the forms of loans and grands is pretty much guarenteed to be re-injected into the economy through rent, food and alcoholol :P I don't think this decision had much to do with the general welfare the state.

What really doesn't help has generally been the whole PANIC!! element. People queueing up to take their money out of bank accounts even though their savings are covered by the government, but in doing so they just drown and disembowel the banks by pulling the plug on investments and bonds which might've been ok, which could've helped lessen the impact on the economy. People are sheep and the media whistled too much. But then, the media's profit cannot differentiate between fervor and panic.

EDIT: Jimbob these aren't 'free' payments. In the short term things for the government, iirc, no different today than they were before tuition fees. Tuition fees if anything provided more money for you, The Tax Payer. So shh.

It does make me wonder, how come there are all these job cuts and there is money available for students to have as EMA payments. I'm not joking but EMA was not available when i was in college until year 2. It would be easier to cut the free money and invest it in the economy and try to save it and all the jobs.

Even as a student, I wonder that lol. I mean Christ! £30 a week just because someone chose to go College?... Even though I got ema ^^.

I think Jayseven is right though... some how, it all must trickle back to the economy...right? RIGHT!? (But what about the ones that fail?)

What, the students that fail? They still have to pay... The economies that fail? Well, name me three and in all instances I'll point to their lack of education investment...

Money isn't a simple sheet of paper of round bit of metal. If you look closely at a fiver, you'll see that the note actually acts as a cheque; it promises the bearer the sum of... thus it is not real money. But what is real money! The problem we are facing with or economical 'crisis' is that people were lending other people money based upon the assumption that the money they have already lent was going to be paid back when it was supposed to. The nation has been running on borrowed money for a long time - money that doesn't actually exist yet, as the lenders are waiting to be repaid before they can actually lend the money again. Once a domino falls and finds themselves unable to find the money to lend up the line then the rest struggle to ensure repayments. What people don't realise is how interest works -- we lend the bank money on the pretence that they will pay us more in return, yet we barely ever question how they manage to make money out of thin air. They actually take our money and 'invest it'... which means they lend it out on the promise that the borrower will repay it at a rate higher than that which they actually repay the original 'invester', whom is joe bloggs himself. Intermixed in all this is the bank's -- the company's profit. The bank is a middle man who has been relying on lies for too long. At least the government has to respect us small people because, ultimately, without us to churn out labour they have no country to run.

I don't get this at all. Supposedly everything would be good if people kept spending, and thus companies would produce more, and selling more and paying its employees more. So, why don't we do that? What's the point in panicking? "Oh, if the people sundenly went to the banks to get their money, that would be fucked up for the economy" So why are people doing this?!

On the other side, from what I understand, money don't just disappear, and when someone loses money someone else gets it. So were the fuck is it going?!

I hate this recessions, it´s fucked up our economy unemployment rates are going up and so are crimes.

The residing government won´t step down despite the majority want´s them to and it all leads to this recessions.

I might be over exaggerating but fuck this!

Also videogame prices have near doubled since this started

I´m kinda bitter tonight.

This has nothing to do with loans. To Shino, the problem is not to keep people spending, they actually need to make people spend more in lieu of the massive debts that are now being called in. Plus the problem with economic collapse is that when the ball starts rolling it is near impossible to stop it.

This will get quite bad. Simple way to keep your head above water...don't buy shit you can't afford. Cut your credit card in half.

What, the students that fail? They still have to pay... The economies that fail? Well, name me three and in all instances I'll point to their lack of education investment...

I think you'll find Zimbabwe is perhaps the biggest failure of all time and its education investment used to be one of the highest in Africa before the shit hit the fan. Mugabe used to be a teacher, hence the reason therefore. Now he's just a dick.

I think you'll find Zimbabwe is perhaps the biggest failure of all time and its education investment used to be one of the highest in Africa before the shit hit the fan. Mugabe used to be a teacher, hence the reason therefore. Now he's just a dick.

:( ... Thought you were comparing GBR's economy with Zimbabwe's... Its sort of getting uncanny though. People have actually predicted this collapse in the world economy, that and the end of the world in 2012... and it all kinda fits nicely.

:( ... Thought you were comparing GBR's economy with Zimbabwe's... Its sort of getting uncanny though. People have actually predicted this collapse in the world economy, that and the end of the world in 2012... and it all kinda fits nicely.

It happened before back in the 20s/30s and they got through it then - sure things are on a much grander scale now, but I think it's just a case of us all living less a life of luxury (because let's face it, most of us in Europe do compared to less desirable parts of the world) until things pick up. We're far too resilient - 2012 is too soon.