NEurope
killer kirby

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes (Wii/Wii U Online RPG)

You're welcome. It's still early days and I have a reasonable amount of confidence that it won't be a total train wreck of a game. ;)

There has yet to be a game made by Horii that sucks, and he really wants to make an MMO game, I say let him have it. He deserves it after making 10 awesome games.

Assumptions.

Don't. I watched the trailer a few times when Hero-of-time posted it yesterday. And none of that is really an assessment beyond "there is nothing technically groundbreaking there".

I'm completely open to the notion that this might be a great or a poor game. If it is any of those however, it isn't for the sake of the platform it's on, simply because all that has been shown can technically be done on other platforms.

it isn't for the sake of the platform it's on, simply because all that has been shown can technically be done on other platforms.

Yeah S-E is very well known for that this gen, after the mess of FFXIII and FFXIV. Both games on the best hardware out there but still played like shit.

Don't. I watched the trailer a few times when Hero-of-time posted it yesterday. And none of that is really an assessment beyond "there is nothing technically groundbreaking there".

I'm completely open to the notion that this might be a great or a poor game. If it is any of those however, it isn't for the sake of the platform it's on, simply because all that has been shown can technically be done on other platforms.

Oh for fuck's sake. Firstly, you assume whether an RPG will be good or not from a short trailer. Secondly, you are making out that I am saying DQX will be a shit game. This is not the case! DQX has every chance of being a great game.

My issue has always been that it could have looked as good now as DQVIII did back in its day to it's audience, while ufortunately due to hardware limitations it will ultimately only look as good as a very polished Wii game.

Simply put, DQX on one of the other consoles would mean it could be as good in every respect, except a lot better in one way.

Yeah S-E is very well known for that this gen, after the mess of FFXIII and FFXIV. Both games on the best hardware out there but still played like shit.

Absolutely irrelevant. Really. Consider why - if these games had been released on Wii alongside PS3 and 360 they would have still sucked for all the same reasons. In fact, they would have sucked somewhat more, for looking worse.

The developers are responsible ultimately to produce either good or bad games. Having no/fewer limitations on how you can make the game look is a very nice bonus.

Edited by Sheikah

Just get a home plug + LAN adapter. I use one and it works great.

Wow, that's unbelievable. You can really use the internet in this way? It's like something out of science-fiction. Thanks very much, I'll have to investigate this.

At the end of the day, if any series was going to tempt me into online gaming, it was going to be Dragon Quest. I knew that. Let's hope it shows me how great it can be.

Internet over powerlines has lots of interference if I remember correctly. Not sure it's recommendable.

Never had any problems with mine, get a constant 100mps connection, it's faster and more stable than my wifi (and doesn't disconnect me when someone uses the microwave ¬_¬). Use it on my laptop, Wii, Xbox, Blu-ray for streaming HD content.

Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does. I was very sceptical at first as well ("how can they send it through the power line!?").

Best thing to do it try it for yourself, I believe it can have varying results depending on your house but I recommend it.

Now that things have settled I am just going to ask here, if Dragon Quest X keep adding more and more content each month and such, would you guys be willing to pay an online fee?

I prob would, I would sacrifice my Xbox live gold account so I can have the money to play this :heh:

I am really interested in seeing what the US division of Nintendo are thinking right now :heh:

I probably won't, I'm not sure I can find the time for a DQ Pseudo MMO. I'd barely have time for a huge DQ game, but if more keeps adding on....

Aw who am I kidding I'll probably get it and end up playing halfway before it goes to the backlog.

Now that things have settled I am just going to ask here, if Dragon Quest X keep adding more and more content each month and such, would you guys be willing to pay an online fee?

I prob would, I would sacrifice my Xbox live gold account so I can have the money to play this :heh:

I am really interested in seeing what the US division of Nintendo are thinking right now :heh:

Out of interest, will you be importing the Japanese version?

Thought this was a pretty good read from IGN, I know they aren't to everyone's liking, but this is pretty decent.

Why Dragon Quest X Matters for Wii U

Nintendo's future just got a whole lot brighter

Three years after announcing the game, Square Enix finally revealed Dragon Quest X in full. Contrary to popular debate and discussion, Quest is still coming to Wii as an online RPG, and it's being developed in parallel to a Wii U version that will feature upgraded graphics. No doubt many will scoff at Dragon Quest coming to Wii and additionally to Nintendo's new platform. Yet this one title will likely have a huge impact on how Wii U is received in Japan, and therefore across the globe. Simply put, you should care that Dragon Quest X is on the way.

Dragon Quest is a big deal in Japan. It moves systems. It sells millions. It is one of the few franchises (including Pokemon and Monster Hunter) that still draws an incredible amount of interest. Dragon Quest IX for the DS sold over four million copies in Japan alone. Its predecessor sold about the same, and is the best-selling PlayStation 2 game of all time in Japan. Dragon Quest's appeal overseas is vast compared to any interest it draws elsewhere in the world, and it's important to understand the type of ripple effect such a significant release can have. For whatever reason, the United States has seen franchises a decade younger, like Pokemon, take the world by storm. The Dragon Quest phenomenon seems clearly localized to its home country. But in a sense, that's all it needs to do. In Japan, the game's success feels inevitable. It is about as sure a thing as a release of Call of Duty is here in America.

That DQX is headed to Wii is, strictly in a business sense, irrelevant. Wii has already made its mark. Its best days are behind it, after one remarkable life. In fact it's reasonable to question whether the title will see release for that platform outside of Japan at all. If Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi can't get his epic Wii RPG, The Last Story, published in North America, will a Dragon Quest title stand much of a chance at least a year later? Probably not. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter. By the time 2012 rolls around, all eyes and energy will be on Wii U – the future of Nintendo's endeavors. A title for Wii next year is certainly a pleasant thought for those fully exploring the system's admittedly strong library, but it's clear Nintendo and Square will be watching what happens with its upgraded version. At this point a Wii version feels almost like a pre-launch marketing campaign for another title, and a symbolic gesture those who bought the system for DQX.

Nintendo's next console is another story entirely. A Wii U system with Dragon Quest X on the way is a very, very different sales proposition in Japan. Few titles can make a difference, and this is one of them. Dragon Quest games create momentum. That sounds like marketing speak, but the fact remains that it's true. Systems live and die by the content that exists, the content that is coming and how gamers and publishers view both of those things. Software must also not only drive interest for itself but for the system as a whole. DQX does both of those things at once, and in this case, it also drives an online community. It even ties to Nintendo's 3DS, creating a network between past and present, portable and console. Somehow it is everything Nintendo could want from a single game, potentially addressing some key weaknesses in the publisher's strategy along the way.

Momentum, through sales or reputation, is critical thing in this industry. Dragon Quest X coming to Wii U immediately creates a killer app for the fledgling system, one that will convince gamers to buy, even if the game doesn't arrive at launch. It simultaneously convinces publishers to invest their time in developing for the console, since they know the Dragon Quest series will drive sales. Consumers and publishers/developers want to know their investments will pay off - that the software and hardware will be where it needs to be, when it needs to be. DQX protects that investment.

There are many variables surrounding Wii U. Nintendo has made many promises, and it needs to sort out significant support from North American publishers as soon as possible. It needs a comprehensive and logical answer for online support. It needs to win its loyal fans over. Despite those questions, a title like Dragon Quest creates a very, very lucrative scenario overseas. Japan isn't necessarily the be all, end all of the gaming world as it once was, but there's no doubt that any legitimate console needs support from the major Japanese third parties. Having a strong, established base in Japan, though not necessary, can help a console's fortunes significantly.

Source - IGN

Out of interest, will you be importing the Japanese version?

I was, but now that this news of it being online I have to kind of hold back. I need to know what the english nations are doing with this game. me mates and I have the money and enough hours for a holiday to go over to japan and be part of the whole release buzz, but now...we are still talking about it we all want to go to japan anyway but thought the release of DQX would be an awesome time.

So yeah only time will tell :D

I love the Mediterranean-style town with the blue-roofed buildings - it reminds me somewhat of Baccarat from DQVIII. If there's one thing I'm not keen on, visually, it's how the characters aren't shaded in the same way as the backgrounds. They don't seem to have much subtlety or detail to them.

There's something about the look of Dragon Quest X that isn't really striking a chord with me, unfortunately :hmm:

After playing, and rather enjoying, Dragon Quest Swords I was interested in dipping my toe into a 'proper' Dragon Quest adventure but I'm not convinced this will be it.. but we'll see :smile: It's early days..

In contrast, I'm currently playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn on the DS and absolutely loving it, much like the GBA original :hehe: There's something about that particular RPG franchise that absorbs me unlike any other..

A lot of new info has been out and about, but info's all over the place to keep up :heh: plenty of pics around though.

Oh and here is more details on the game.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/12/28/new-information-and-screenshots-of-dragon-quest-x-introduce-entertainers-fighting-humans/

I still hope this game comes out over here.

I still think it will. Maybe not on the Wii but definetly on the WiiU.

I still think it will. Maybe not on the Wii but definetly on the WiiU.

Oh it's most certainly going to come out here, I think Nintendo said years ago that they were 110% behind the success of DQX here in the english nations.

Now I am seeing what they might do with this game like they did with the Zelda:TP, release a small batch on the Wii and the rest on the WiiU. Still early days, but it's also interesting to see what Nintendo learn from this, if this game becomes the big success in Japan and in the english nations, would that mean Nintendo might make an MMORPG themseleves? early days, but I can't wait to see what the series changes!

DLC for DQ X is confirmed

Source: Official Nintendo Magazine

Eltona: The land of the elves is facing destruction because due to the inability to carry out a particularly important ceremony.

Ogleed: The king of a nation called Gartland is suffering from a mysterious illness.

Pukuland: The land of the Pukuripo, normally a bright and cheerful place, is suffering from a severe case of missing children. Does the mysterious Pukuripo who wears a top hat the size of his body (the Pukuripo are small, so this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds) have anything to do with the kidnapping?

Source: http://andriasang.com/comznr/dqx_update/

Edited by -Dem0-

DQX dated for Japan.

Square Enix announced today a release date of August 2 for Dragon Quest X. The Wii title will be priced ¥6,980 on its own and ¥8,980 when bundled with a USB Memory card.

For those who opt for the base version, the game will require that you provide your own USB memory card with at least 16 gigabyte capacity.

A bit rare for Wii games, the game ships on two discs.

Charges run ¥1,000, ¥1,950 or ¥2,900 for respectively 30, 60 and 90 days play (Payment can be made via credit card using standard currency, or via WiiPoints. WiiPoint pricing is the same). You'll be able to create up to three characters.

Both the standard and bundle versions of the game will come with 20 days free play time. Square Enix is also planning to host special "Kids Times" for the game. These periods will be free play. Square Enix says that it won't be setting a specific age limit for these periods, but asks that people understand that they're meant for children.

What will the game use at least 16gb of memory for?

Updates/Patches/DLC/etc.

I wonder if you can pay via Wiipoints if you import or if it'll be region locked somehow.

Given the game is coming on 2 discs, I'd hope they'd let you install the data from one on the USB because swapping discs for what is an online RPG is a no-no. Hope that's what they're going to use it for, along with DLC and patches.