NEurope
killer kirby

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes (Wii/Wii U Online RPG)

Video got removed while I was watching it, luckily it still worked. :laughing:

Map & Support details:

- consult your mini map in the lower left of the screen

- full map shows connections to the next area

- use signposts around the world

- give out calls of support, which raises the other players' tension

- orange name means that the player is near death.

- help out by using medicine on the player

- treasure comes in treasure boxes, but some can be identified as shiny spots on the ground

- certain areas are closed off by fences and signs indicating that those who attempt to venture further will find powerful monsters awaiting

- use the investigate command to see if you're ready for the fight

- view text that identifies the monster's name and warnings based on your current state

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Shiny spots on the ground? Sounds like this will have "farmables" like Dragon Quest IX - Royal Soil etc.

DQX 3DS App.

"Dragon Quest X Boukensha no Odekake Benri Tool Vol.1"

- roughly translates to "Convenient Tool For Adventurers On the Go: Vol.1"

- lets you view alerts from Dragon Quest X

- you can also do SpotPass exchanges using your DQX character

- view information about friends and support characters

- send letters to friends

- view product information from the Travelers Bazaar

- app is free

- no release date set

Seems that there are also other apps on the way, with this one being the first mentioned. We also learned details of the "Key Emblem", which lets you turn your character back into human form. You can find this throughout the game world.

Source: Gonintendo>Andriasang

Finally, confirmation that you can switch back to your human form.

Was very tempted to place a pre order for this today as well.

Iwata asks is now up and andriasang has put up the main points.

Among the revelations in the column, Fujisawa said that different from most current casual games which generally give the message of "We want you to play every day," Dragon Quest X is meant to give the message of "It's okay even if you don't play every day."

In fact, the game has some systems that are designed with the idea that players may not necessarily play every day. Hori wanted to make sure that DQX wasn't a game that would destroy people's daily lives. In response to this request, the development team came up with three systems.

The first system is "Support Allies." When you're not playing, other players can use your character in their party. You'll receive experience and gold through this. Hori noted that this system lets your character grow even when you're not playing.

The other system is "Genkidama," or "Energy Balls." The game has a meter which charges when you're not logged in. Reach a certain amount, and you'll gain an energy ball. The energy ball gives you double experience and gold for thirty minutes.

As an example of the benefits of the energy ball system, Fujisawa noted that players who play only on the weekend will receive enough energy balls that they'll be able to play continuously with double gold and experience. Iwata joked that this system means players won't have to worry about sleeping.

The third system is "Support Gold." If you reach a certain location as part of your progress through the game, you'll be given a certain amount of gold every week.

Elsewhere in the interview, Hori reiterated that the game can be played individually (a point that for some reason surprised Iwata even though it was one of the first features announced for the game). As reason for offering this ability, Hori joked that he's shy and isn't particularly good at making friends. He played Final Fantasy XI all by himself. Iwata mentioned that he'd heard a rumor that during the DQX beta test, Hori would run away when people spoke to him. This rumor was true, Fujisawa confirmed.

This is actually the first of multiple Iwata Asks columns covering DQX, so there may be additional revelations leading up to the August release.

I'm loving the sound of the bonuses you get for not playing. A lot of people don't have the spare time to sink hours upon hours into a MMORPG so this will be a welcome addition.

Guys on Neogaf are saying that the game is certainly going to be IP region blocked and some places, such as HMV Japan are refusing to ship it outside the country, saying that they are forbidden to export the game.

That's really nice to see that Hino actually cares about having people not wrecking their lives to play his game. These convenience features along with "Kids Time" should hopefully go a long way towards making the game much more approachable.

Genkidama

Spirit Bomb! :)

Guys on Neogaf are saying that the game is certainly going to be IP region blocked and some places, such as HMV Japan are refusing to ship it outside the country, saying that they are forbidden to export the game.

*Cries*

*Cries*

It's easy to get around it, just follow these rules...

1.Passport

2.ticket to japan

3.Get a job over there

4.Find a place to live

5.Get Internet provider set up

6.????

7.Profit

It's got to see a release outside of Japan, anyway here's a scan:

730.jpg

Or just wait till it comes out over here on the Wii U.

*hopes and prays this happens*

It most likely will, after the success of DQIX it's now made a comfortable home for itself on the Nintendo system (A lot of me Nintendo only fans love the games now) Even if DQX sell like 100,000 to 200,000 outside of Japan that should be a success in Nintendo and S-E eyes (Subscription fees will really make em a profit) the way this game is being really casual friendly with MMO it's a great opening for Nintendo to test waters of MMO over here.

Dats my 2 cents anyway.

logo.png

Yup, the next Nintendo Direct show is this Monday. It will solely be about DQX.

"Get ready for your next Nintendo Direct event, because it's coming up this Monday! Nintendo and Square-Enix will be doing a Nintendo Direct event showcasing Dragon Quest X, but we have no idea just what will be shown. As I said, the event is on July 30th, starting at 7 AM East Coast time."

Here's the link to watch the event come Monday the 30th.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/software/s4mj/direct20120730/index.html

3DS App info:

- SMAP will appear in the game's commercials

- commercials begin airing tomorrow

- the game's completion ceremony was MCed by SMAP's Takuya Kimura

- Shibuya Tsutaya will host the game's official opening event

- this will be held on August 2 at 7:00AM

- servers will also go live at 7:00AM on August 2

- merchandise includes DQX figures and plushies, accessories, and "Slime" flavored gum from Lotte

- the 3DS app "Dragon Quest X Convenient Tool For Adventurers On the Go: Vol.1" is available on August 22

- get this from the eShop with a download code included in Dragon Quest X

The app includes the following features:

Post Office

Write letters on your 3DS and send them to friends.

Travelers Bazaar

View all the items that are up for sale at the bazaars on the various continents. You can't actually purchase items here.

Friend Information

See if your friends are currently playing Dragon Quest X

Support Ally Employment Information

See how much your character is being employed by others as a support ally

Street Pass/Double Street Pass

You can exchange data with other 3DS users through Street Pass. "Double Street Pass" refers to "Street Passing" with a player both through your 3DS and within DQX itself. Something nice will happen if you manage this.

Edited by -Dem0-

DQX Download Content:

- Dragon Quest X will see frequent updates

- DQX development team is hoping to have a major update for the game once every ten weeks

- updates will add new gameplay systems and play elements

- game will receive weekly quest downloads

- these quests will have story elements

3DS app sounds really good. Looks a lot like the DQVC from IX. Shame you can't buy items from it, that would have been really handy. Friend info looks the most useful.

Apparently retailers have been banned from exporting/importing the game, although looks like I can still order it on Play Asia.

Apparently retailers have been banned from exporting/importing the game

Yeah I've read this recently.

btw how many DQ titles have you played?

All the main ones apart from III and VII which are on my backlog, most of the Monster games (Monsters, Monsters 2, Joker, Joker 2(ENG and JP)) and Swords. I guess Boom Street counts.

I have the Japanese carts for I, II, III, V, VI, I & II remake for the Famicom/Super Famicom (need to pick up IV at some point), PS2 version of V (there's a fan translation so I'll get round to playing this soon-ish), Battle Road Victory and Dragon Quest Collection but I wouldn't say I've played them specifically, the ones I have played of anything before VII have all been the Gameboy/DS remakes.

Yowza! you like your DQ. What's your favourite title out of the series?

VIII :)

Followed by V then probably IX. They are all good though :)

That feeling that even a Dragon Quest fan like Ike has yet to play III and VII >_>

Thanks to another board with translation I thought I would share a more in-depth interview of Iwata Asks

Participants:

Satoru Iwata

Yuuji Horii

Saito Yousuke

Jin Fujisawa

1. "Understandability over Ease of Use"

Saito: Sorry about last time(*1). Today, based on the mistake of (Taichi) Inuzuka(*2) we decided to dress casually.

*1 Last Time: "Iwata Asks" "Nintedo 3DS" Software Maker version, Volume 17: Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3d.

*2 Taichi Inuzaka= Employed at Square Enix, he is the producer of "Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D"

Iwata: Yes (Laugh).

Horii: So the three of us tried to look the same (Laugh).

Fujisawa: Do we match?

Saito : Saito has an hour late to work this morning because he went out to buy clothes for this.

Fujisawa: Embarrassingly that is true (Laugh).

Saito: The picture is only of here (upper body), so (he/I?) said it only needs to be from the waist up. (Laugh)

Fujisawa: No no, you don't have to give away that much information(Laugh).

Everyone: (Laugh)

Iwata: Yes, well, shall we start. Yoroshiku Onegaishimaso [Translators Note: I couldn't think of a good translation for this phrase in this situation so I'm just leaving it here.]

Everyone: Yoroshiki Onegaishimasu

Iwata: Today, I'm asking about "Dragon Quest X Awakening of the Five Tribes Online". We are

finally nearing the countdown to it going on sale.

Horii: The other time I believe the Beta test (*3) had just started, time really flies.

*3 Beta test= While "Dragon Quest X" was in production it was being test played. The official site applied for players to test play the game to look for bugs and problems to take care of.

Iwata: Yes, it felt like it was a while away, but now it is almost on sale. It really is fast. But that time really did pass. Today, what I want to ask the most is, "How did Horri-san take what a genre called

MMORPG (*4) that is supposed to have a high threshold, and transform it into a game that anyone could play?" and, "What was the process of this change?". At this point you don't need an introduction, but this is the series creator of "Dragon Quest" Yuuji Horii. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.

Horii: Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.

*4 MMORPG= Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

Saito: I'm the producer of "Dragon Quest X", Satiou. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu

Fujisawa: I'm the director, Fujisawa. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu

Iwata: Yes, Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu. First, for making "Dragon Quest" an online game- Horii yourself, was there an experience when you were "Drawn into an online game"?

Horii: I played the game he (Saito) made, "Cross Gate" (*5) and "FFXI" (*6).

* 5 "Cross Gate"= A MMORPG that started in July 2001.

*6 "FFXI"= The first MMORPG in the "Final Fantasy" series, which started May 2002.

Iwata: The way that Horii san makes things isn't just that through playing them he is able to find the essence of what makes them enveloped in the game but to fix the things that would confuse a normal person so that it is changed into something anyone could play. I imagine that this ability was in full force this time.

Horii: That sort of sense they also really understand, and we made a lot together.

Saito: To put to words what we often talk about is "Making it easy to understand, not easy to use". Normally for example a menu is easy to use if it doesn't go to many levels deep, but if the rhythm is good a deeper menu is OK. I think the feeling of "Dra Que" is that it is easy to understand so anyone can easily control the game.

Horii: To begin with, I myself never read a manual, so the major architecture for the operability of the game is that the major parts of it can be "Understood without reading". Indeed having lots of commands is convenient, but on the other hand to begin with you often then don't know what to do, so I ask "Restrain yourself, restrain yourself...."

Fujisawa: Also, online games are played for long periods of time, so there are a lot of games that want to make it as easy as possible to play but when you do that the screen is full of information.

Iwata: So you mean, seeing that screen alone you think, "It's impossible!"

Fujisawa: Yes. Then you would get a strong impression, "This isn't 'Dragon Quest'". So the staff in charge of developing kept on saying these two points, "Don't show unneeded information on the screen." and "Don't use a small font". On the other hand, if you have a scren shot of the game and the text is big, and there isn't any extra information on the screen, I think you will feel the relief that, "Ahh, this is the same old 'Dragon Quest'".

Iwata: After all, it is the same screen from the original Famicom. In the past the number of pixels was small so you had to be absolutely simplistic, while now you can make things as detailed as you want.

Horii: It is the same case with Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. It is easy to write the commands using Kanji, but as soon as you do it looks difficult. But with Hiragana yet get a "somehow kind feeling".

Saito: After that are the main commands like "Search", "Item", and "Equip". Normally there are four rows and two columns, but until recently we discussed, "Why not have it 5X2". But we settled on the normal format.

Horii: If you see too many commands, you feel like it is bothersome.

Fujisawa: Yes. We decided that even if it made the menu a little deeper, "It will be the same as always.".

Iwata: Logically 5x2 and 4x2 don't sound that different, but it does feel very different when you look at it, doesn't it. Going on, in "Dragon Quest X" what sort of system did it start out as?

Saito: When the "X" project started was just when Fujisawa was in charge of "VIII"(*7) and we didn't have any programmers, just the three of us brainstorming. After that more people joined, and it all started for real after we had a training camp.

*7 "VIII"="Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King". It is an RPG software that went on sale November 2004 for the Playstation 2. It is 8th in the "Dra Que" series.

Horii: We talked about "How do we lower the threshold as much as possible?".

Fujisawa: Yes. "What should 'Dra Que' be like as an online game" is what we discussed in great detail. For example, what should we do if the "A player characters name is the same". In the end the decision on overlapping names was the time that we searched for the philosophical answer to "What should 'Dragon Quest' be". "Is it okay for a 'Dra Que' not to allow you to use the name that you like?". We started with that as a base at the start for each question that we then answered.

2. "You don't have to play everyday"

Iwata: I feel that if you don't wash away what is called the "Normal Online game" that you can't transform it into a game that everyone can play. So you poured your energy making "X" into that process.

Horii: That's right. Because we imagined that, "A lot of people who have never played an online game will be joining" . So that is what we were most careful about.

Fujisawa: Yes. What I remember the best is Horii-san saying, "If it is an online game with a 4x2 main command window I feel like I can do it, so we all felt the pressure, "We've got to do it that way." (Laugh).

Horii: Our ideal is that you are playing like it is offline, and then you realize, "Oh, wow, I was connected to the internet".

Iwata: But of course other people are playing the game as they wish, so we really had a headache figuring out what we should do.

Horii: But, "Dragon Quest" has a long history, you might say that it has a grammar. The people who know it can play a new "Dragon Quest" without reading the manual. So I had everyone do their best so that it would be the same online.

Saito: There were a lot of people who voiced, "I didn't think it would be this much like 'Dragon Quest'" after they played the Beta test.

Iwata: But I would think that the method of creating "Dragon Quest" would not match up with the normal online game, so it wouldn't be easy.

Fujisawa: That's right. I've been in charge of developing "Dragon Quest" for a number of years now, and we never really transformed the questions, "What is 'Dragon Quest'?" and "How do you create and aim for a 'Dragon Quest'?" into words. Horii-san, have you developed a terminology for it inside of yourself?

Horii: I just have a sense. A sense (Laugh).

Fujisawa: That is right. I also have a sense, and there are many parts that I haven't figured out a vocabulary for. It makes it hard when I'm explaining to other people.

Iwata: But if it was easy for you to do then that would mean anyone could create it. The fact that many people have tried to "make a game like 'Dragon Quest'" and yet none has become a "Dragon Quest" means that you just can't create such an approach.

Horii: I think there probably isn't a rule. It is an odd feeling you get I think.

Saito: Having meetings with Horii-san I've seen the build up of "If it is fun then that's great" build up until it became a "Dragon Quest. From the sidelines I thought, "Amazing".

Horii: When something fun comes up the important part is "lowing the threshold" to communicate it easily. I've seen a lot of times where there are games where, "This game wanted to give out this sort of fun" but they didn't make it, "soo close" you think. Before the player was able to make it to the fun they've wandered into a maze of not knowing what to do next. It makes the player feel uneasy.

Iwata: Horii-san has a specially tuned sensor to what might frighten normal people which you can't just get from making games for many years.

Horii: Probably because I myself am easily frightened. So I do my best to make sure other people can feel comfortable.

Fujisawa: This time there are a lot of procedures for making the game online. Horii-san was particular about each and every line of explanation. That made it extremely easy to understand, and I thought, "Oh, this is the part that needs the most care."

Horii: The player is worried about a lot of things.

Iwata: Online games try and appeal to people with their innermost depths, but it is Horii's point of view that "Even if you appeal to them in that way it might make them uneasy." I don't think there is a online game creator with that viewpoint.

Fujisawa: I don't think so.

Saito: I don't think so.

Iwata: That is why I think this time people who have never had any dealings with online games will enter feeling frighted but then find themselves feeling like they belong.

Horii: So next we made changes so, "You don't enter too deeply".

Saito: That's right.

Fujisawa: That was a big conflict.

Iwata: The people making the game want "You don't enter too deeply" (Laugh). I've never heard of an online game that puts out that message.

Horii: I want you to feel excited when you are online, but you to be able to log out feeling good. (Laugh).

Fujisawa: Yes. I think there are a lot of casual games lately putting out the message, "I want you to play every day". but "Dragon Quest" is the opposite. The message we put out is, "You don't have to play everyday".

Horii: You get certain merits by not playing every day.

Fujisawa: Yes, first Horii-san said, "I don't want to make a game where the customers to ruin their lives by playing." So we made a systems to respond to that. One is the Support Comrades. When you aren't playing some other players can use you with them and you gain experience and gold.

Iwata: It is a system for those who aren't playing currently to have their character advance as if they were still playing.

Fujisawa: Yes. And the second is the "Genki Dama" [Translator's notes: Spirit Bomb]. This charges up when you aren't logged in, and when you've reached a certain amount of time you receive this item. When you use it for 30 minutes you get double the experience and gold. Those who can only play on the weekend will build up Genki Dama, and they can keep playing twice at twice as much.

Saito: You won't be left behind even if you don't play, so please sleep, it means.

Iwata: "You don't have to feel bad about sleep". I haven't heard of this either (Laugh).

Fujisawa: Last is "Support Gold". Once you reach a certain point in the game, every week you will be paid gold. With these three we transformed the message "You don't have to play every day" into something physical.

Iwata: At the same time, there will be people who can play a lot. How did you balance between the those people and those who can't play a lot.

Fujisawa: We didn't balance it, to be extreme we changed it to, "You don't have to play with other people".

Iwata: Huh? You don't have to play with other people?

Fujisawa: Yes. In the end, I think that the reason that you are no longer able to play with others is when someone in the group falls behind, and feels lonely and alienated. So from the beginning with "X" we have been saying that it is "A Online game you can play by yourself" for these people.

Horii: I am also shy, and I don't deal well with friendship (Laugh). So I played "FFXI" the whole time by myself.

Iwata: There is a rumor that this time during the beta test if someone tried to talk to Horii-san, he would run away (Laugh).

Saito: It's true (laugh).

Horii: But I like the atmosphere of people that you feel in an online game. So I feel that in "IX" (*8) the Tag Mode (*9) the light human interaction is "Good for the times."

*8 "IX"="Dragon Quest IX Protectors of the Stary Skies". July 2009. RPG software sold for the DS. 9th in the "Dra Que" series.

*9 Tag Mode= A communication system where you leave the game on while you are walking along, and exchange data with the people you pass.

Iwata: So the relationship where you say, "What time should we meet" is too heavy.

Horii: Yes, it restrains you.

Saito: But it is OK every once in a while.

Horii: Yeah, once in a while.

Iwata: So it is OK once in a while (Laugh).

Saito: In the beta test Horii met up and waited for a tester. We were shocked to hear about it.

Horii: That's right. I did a cleared a certain quest with that person, and they were extremely emotional.

Iwata: Horii-san...Of course they would be emotional (Laugh).

3. "IX" opened the path

Iwata: On the other hand did you have any issues with people on the development team who probably have a deep experience as online game players.

Saito: Of course there were a lot of ideas put out. I think they all thought back to the online game that they experienced ten years ago. That is why I think that in the end we were able to have a collective image of "'Dragon Quest X' should be like this" as the first step into an online game.

Fujisawa: But of course there were a lot of people who said, "I've never heard of an online game like that." , and "That game does this, and this game does that, is it really OK for us not to?". A lot of voices were raised with concern based on existing things, and wanting to make it the same as what they had seen.

So we kept on saying, "'Dragon Quest X' will do new things" and, "We want to make the game so that a completly different set of people will also play it" over and over.

Iwata: The same way that the customer feels scared going into a world that they know nothing about, for the person making it, not being able to use the knowhow they have used up to now. Going into what is beyond that and which they do not know, I think it is scary for them too.

Fujisawa: That is very true.

Iwata: But for the makers, even if it is scary or not that they have to get past that.

Fujisawa: That is true.

Saito: Time after time we got the staff together to share ideas. We borrowed a large conference room, and invited all of the development staff. In front of them all, Horii-san talked about, "This is the type of game we will make."

Horii: That's right.

Iwata: When it isn't the same pattern as a previous accomplishment people feel worried, I'm saying the same thing again, but that might be the only way to get over it.

Fujisawa: After that was, "How fast can we get everyone to reach a shared image" I think. This time it took a while for us to reach that.

Iwata: All of you are like leaders in a dark tunnel saying, "There has to be light on the other side", but your in a situation where you don't know if there really is light at the other side, but you still must press forward.

Fujisawa: Yes. If there isn't light up ahead, I will be hurt as well, but mainly it will injure the customers of "Dragon Quest" who are looking foreward to the game. There were times where I couldn't see ahead and ti was painful.

Horii: But the truth is that "IX" opened the path.

Iwata: What do you mean by that?

Fujisawa: Before "IX" no one had experienced a "'Dragon Quest' where everyone plays together". Of course, the staff didn't know, we didn't know. So it was hard to say with confidence to the staff that it really was fun to play "Dragon Quest" all together.

Horii: "Dragon Quest" has another face as a communication tool. By playing "Dragon Quest" you are communicated with someone. In "IX" when you could play withe others, and there was tag mode, we all gained a shared experience. That extension is "X".

Iwata: I think that in "IX" a lot of people experienced multiplay.

Fujisawa: Yes, The staff also tried playing "IX" and were able to share in "This is what a 'Dragon Quest' where everyone plays together is like". So for "IX" is like the reason of existence for "X".

Iwata: When you look at it now, "IX" was required for "X" but Horii-san, did you know that before?

Horii: I developed them at the same time, so I wonder? Well...its like this I guess, was what I thought(Laugh)

Fujisawa: When the "X" project started I was working on "VIII", and I didn't know about the existence of "IX". But when the production on "VIII" was over was just when the world was accepting the DS so while making "X" I was concurrently making "IX".

Horii: The biggest reason for "Lets make 'IX' on the DS" was "People will be able to use wireless to connect to others so they can play together without much labor". I thought that it was amazing then that people could multiplay without much effort.

Iwata: So you thought "With this people can connect with others without the customers being afraid".

Horii: Yes.

Iwata: "I'm going to get out the cable and connect us up together for a moment" at this point, at this time, would be thought of as a very high threshold.

Fujisawa: That is how "Dragon Quest IX" started, and during that whole time concurrently we were making "X". When I wasn't around I left "X" to Saito but when the staff persisted on at that point really became the foundation we currently have.

Saito: Because we faced that time the Beta Test was able to go smoothly.

Iwata: From the large number of players in "IX" that we saw we want to make it more wide scale, more deep, and that is "X". Especially this time we are making a game that is the opposite of "We've put out the game it is over".

Horii: But it was good that we had the sense of "making the game together".

Saito: That's right. I enjoy the feeling of widening the world with the customers.

Horii: We haven't had something that would change after the fact before now. It was always over after it left the door.

Fujisawa: Yes. Indeed, at the end there is a timing where you cut yourself from the project screaming "Yeah!" but that does require courage, and it is also sometimes painful. Because there isn't such a time I'm "Happy" I think.

Saito: In three years, five years, I think it would be great if you still say the same thing (wry laugh).

Fujisawa: Its what I think now (Laugh).

Iwata: What about you Saito-san?

Saito: It is 10 years ago now, but I've experienced this before. Of course it is fun but, I also know how hard it is..

Iwata: There is the hardness in continuing it on. After all the "catch ball" of energy that you get from your work with the customers decreases bit by bit from the start.

Fujisawa: That's right. The customers voice starts to get strict.

Horii: I admit, the truth is, they think "Of course it is good".

Fujisawa: But today (the day of the interview) indeed is the day we released what was fixed from "Beta Test phase 3.0" but the testers were happy. I've never been able to experience that in game development before. I think the feeling of "We really did make this together" is "Fresh".

4. A world full of exchanges of "Thanks"

Iwata: How did the beta test feel? For you, Horii-san, this sort of way of making games itself was a first.

Horii: I also played the beta test and I thought, "Oh, this is 'Dragon Quest'". and "They made it well".

Iwata: So you yourself also felt, "This is 'Dragon Quest'" as you played.

Horii: Yeah, they got me.

Fujisawa: That is the first time I've heard these words. That is great (Laugh)...

Horii: Changing the subject but what really makes me think "time has sure changed" is that there are a lot of social games that changed gaming from being something you do by yourself to a "Everyone is connected" feeling. Being able to play "IX" while watching the TV I think "Is it good to be connected to the company".

Iwata: You were able to play the game while connected to the office, weren't you.

Horii: Yes, that is why I think this is a time where Twitter is popular. To put it in opposite terms, I think everyone is lonely. In that sense, it is still a Beta but I thought, "I'm glad that 'X' is a warm world".

Iwata: It is from the sense I got from the beta testers but their sense of "This is a warm world where I feel comfortable" was communicated.

Fujisawa: I was surprised in the beta test when there was a situation that often happens in online games where there is one monster, and two players racing to get it. But in "X" using the "Cheer" feature, the person who didn't get the monster cheers on the person who did. That way the two part feeling good. I hadn't expected that "there is a way to use it like that".

Horii: They do it on instinct. They thank people with "Thanks" and "You're welcome".

Fujisawa: Yes. In the world above People's heads is a speech bubble, but the people around them can see it. Walking around here and there the words "Thanks" are flying back and forth. Until people really joined we didn't know what the feeling of the world would be, but when I realized that the world of "X" that the testers created was a world where "Thanks" was flying back and forth, I felt "An amazing thing is happening".

Iwata: Internet games can turn to flame wars rather quickly. That is probably one of the causes that the "Scary" image got created, but why do you think that didn't happen with "X" in the beta test?

Horii: To a certain degree it was because of the direction that we pointed them to in the way that we made the game. Making it easy to say, "Thanks" and making the atmosphere so it was hard for flame wars to break out.

Saito: It might also have to do with the look. You wouldn't feel like a savage when you see a cute character like a Pucklipo.

Horii: After that there are a number of sayings that you can say with a button without having to hit a single key on you keyboard.

Fujisawa: Horii-san was very particular about those sayings.

Saito: And then Jump. Jumping with a boing doesn't really have a meaning but when, "Saying thanks would be a little odd" a gentle feeling is expressed with a jump.

Iwata: Without words it communicates that there is a real human on the other side of the screen.

Saito: The reason we made it to start was a bored feeling to start so, "If there was a button that responded to you, at least putting in that would be good."

Horii. Yes. I think the Jump was very good.

Saito: When you do it you jump yourself. Boing Boing.

Fujisawa: For no reason.

Saito: It's fun. It makes the atmosphere fun (Laugh).

Iwata: When you communicate with only words you loose the emotion and flow of a voice so it is hard to communicate you feelings. But with the supplementation of things like that, and the art of the world, the little expressions make an impact that can be felt.

Horii: Also the staff did there best and made a lot of gestures. The "Sultry Dance" is well made, and everyone dances it (Laugh).

Fujisawa: Yes. During the beta test, at the end of a phase for some reason everyone would gather at the town and dance naked (Laugh). Ah, of course, it was just that they removed all of their equipment.

Saito: They would even get 50 people on top of a stone in the pavement and dance. You would wonder, "Why does everyone get on top of this!?"

Iwata: Like it was a stage (Laugh).

Fujisawa: We just put in the needed systems, but the people playing inside came up with new games. "Its good that we suplied that space isn't it" we would think.

Iwata: With a simple system that a single player game wouldn't play with, with the thought and labor of people a new type of game spreads.

Horii: When I was young I ran a readers corner in the anime magazine "Monthly Out"(*10) called "Leave it to chance with Yuubou". Each month I would prepare a theme of submission of the readers. Coming up with the theme was a big point of it but for a single theme a lot of post cards would come, and it would spread beyond my imaginations. It was at that time that I thought, "The power of multiple heads is amazing".

*10 "Monthly Out"= A monthly anime magazine that ran from 1977 to 1995.

Fujisawa: Ah, that really is true. The forum (*11) really took that form, where I thought "Without the wisdom of the crowd (*12) it couldn't happen"

*11 Forum= A forum where the beta testers could report bugs and what they would like to see.

*12 Wisdom of the crowd= When you assemble the information from a bunch of people and exchange ideas and opinions this is what is formed. It is what you call information that has a new added value.

Iwata: I see. So the hospitality techniques Horii-san put out, with the wisdom of the crowd, led to new developments.

Fujisawa: But, Horii-san was like that from the past. Horii-san's "feelings of hospitality" plus the opinions of may others is what he takes to make the game. Is that the way it is?

Horii: Well, yeah, I guess. Hm....Hmmmmm. Well, what I don't listen to I don't listen to (Laugh). If there is 100 maybe there are 5 good opinions. I try and pick up those ones is my feeling.

Iwata: That is deep...5 in 100. But those 5, you don't pick them all up, some times you pick yp the wrong 5, and you miss the important things. But if I ask "How do you know which ones?"....

Horii: I don't know. It is a sense.

Fujisawa: It really is a sense.

Horii: Hmmm...It really is a sense (Laugh).

Fujisawa: I've worked with Horii-san for a long time and he doesn't tend to tell you things in words. I decide within myself, "This is what Horii-san's sense is".

Iwata: You must get 80 or 90 percent right, but that last 10 or 20 percent you must get fooled?

Fujiwara: ...Ah, what is the percentage? (Laugh)

Horii: 80 percent I guess..

Saito: Oh! That is a passing grade.

Horii: It's a passing grade (Laugh). Its good enough. It is impossible for it to be 100%. I think that the last 20% is something else that is not in me but also good.

Iwata: That is the things that surprise Hori-san isn't it.

Fujisawa: I hope it is (Laugh)

Edited by killer kirby

VIII :)

Followed by V then probably IX. They are all good though :)

I'm gutted I stopped playing VIII last year. I was really enjoying it but had other stuff to do and got out of the swing of playing it. I left it far too long to just go back to so if I did want to play it again I would want to start from scratch. Same thing happened with me while playing Xenoblade as well. VIII was shaping up to be my favourite as well.

That feeling that even a Dragon Quest fan like Ike has yet to play III and VII >_>

Only just acquired them in the last year, not gotten round to playing them.

I'm gutted I stopped playing VIII last year. I was really enjoying it but had other stuff to do and got out of the swing of playing it. I left it far too long to just go back to so if I did want to play it again I would want to start from scratch. Same thing happened with me while playing Xenoblade as well. VIII was shaping up to be my favourite as well.

Yeah, really want to replay it but it's a massive game, I have trouble sitting down and finishing really long games these days unless they are on a handheld. Haven't finished Xenoblade, and Okami just seems daunting at the moment.

It's pretty staggering to think that this is the final game scheduled for release on the Wii in Japan. After this comes out, there is literally nothing left for release on Wii, not even shovelware!

This is the first time in history that a console has run out of games for release in Japan before its successor gets released (This also happened with the Sega Saturn in the US and EU, with Magical Knight Rayearth and Deep Fear being the last releases in their respective regions in 1998, though Japan continued to see Saturn releases until 2000)

Really does put things into perspective :( (Though Wii will probably not suffer the same fate in the west, since Epic Mickey 2 is still due for release towards the end of November - which will probably come slightly after the Wii U's release)

It's pretty staggering to think that this is the final game scheduled for release on the Wii in Japan. After this comes out, there is literally nothing left for release on Wii, not even shovelware!

My last game will probably be the Kirby Collection. DQX is an excellent final game though ;).

Still living in hope/denial that it's not region locked.

2 more days I suppose.