Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Cycling

Daft

This is probably aimed more at people in cities (especially London).

I've been thinking about getting a bike and cycling everywhere instead of getting public transport so I can save myself a lot of money and do more exercise.

Being the practical sod I am I want this:

chopper-orange.jpg

A red Raleigh Chopper Mk 3. I'm not sure if you can get it in adult sizes but the seat looks like it adjusts a lot so I'm going to assume I can ride it.

Anyway, what's everyone's experience with cycling in cities?

Im not in a city but I did cycle a bit over the summer and went onto a retail park and just got a load of angry drivers when they're clearly in the wrong as they're the worst kind of transport types.

I'd certainly give cycling in a city a go once I knew the city well enough.

I'm bidding for the bike on ebay. I'm so crap at ebay...I hardly ever win. Hopefully this time'll be different. *prays*

bikes.jpg

'tis mental. And that's just the station.

Haha! Yup just as I remembered. :heh:

That reminds me I actually saw you when I was in Cambridge a couple months back. It was at one of the college barbecues the day before my friends May Ball...annoyingly I can't remember what college it was. :D

That reminds me I actually saw you when I was in Cambridge a couple months back. It was at one of the college barbecues the day before my friends May Ball...annoyingly I can't remember what college it was. :D

Magdalene garden party? If so, that's cool, and I might well know your friend - who are they? If not, wrong person I think - as far as I can remember I only went to one such thing in May Week.

Cycling in China is absolute murder, but it wouldn't be so bad if people followed the rules.

There are dedicated cycle lanes on all roads, but people still use the paths and yell at anyone who doesn't get out of the way. I have been clobbered a few times and punched several people as a result. Even motorbikes use the paths if it's more convenient to them.

Then you have the problem of people on the wrong side of the road. Naturally, you would not expect a car to be driving up the road the wrong way, so you only look in the direction traffic is coming from when crossing the road.

Which is a great way to get yourself knocked down by some asswipe who is unaware that the rest of the world is using the road too.

Then there's bike parking, which often occurs on the path, right in the middle of it. Which is just fantastic :blank:

so tight it's like it's not even there.

I'd like to point out, that is what she said.

I bought an Apollo XC.26 from Halfords a few months ago.

25%5C1572912.jpg

I ride to and from work everyday which is three miles each way - so it's fairly easy, but not so easy that it's nothing. For 90% of my journey I cycle along the Middlewood Way so I have very little to do with cars; just problems with punctures from thorns and bad lighting.

Recommendations:

1) Don't buy an Apollo XC.26. It's a piece of crap. Buying a cheap bike is a false economy, as I have had to replace the brakes, the back wheel and the gears slip all over the place.

2) Buy through your work scheme if they have one. It's wicked. They reimburse you and then take it out of your salary but take it out after taking off VAT and before tax & NI. It evaluates to a saving of about 40%.

I fucking love bicycles. It's been years since I've last sat on one.

I used to ride around in this beast when I lived in Kuwait.

I learnt how to ride a bike in Kuwait. I used to cycle quite alot as a quick mode of transport where I live now. Caris's house, shops etc but now I have a car:D and although I would like to use my bike which I got last year (brand new used for <2 hours) you cant really beat the ease of the car especially in the cold. PLus I can fill up for £10 less.